[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

homemade watercolor paper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 125135136143125123.jpg (134KB, 1280x827px) Image search: [Google]
125135136143125123.jpg
134KB, 1280x827px
Hi guys, wanted to ask if anyone here knows what are the best materials to use for watercolor paper. Any info&tips on how to do it would be appreciated too. My daughter went to art academy so I want to cut her expenses by making her some paper for watercoloring
>>
File: 1474963736297.jpg (24KB, 552x552px) Image search: [Google]
1474963736297.jpg
24KB, 552x552px
Aquarelle paper is cheap as fuck when you buy it in bulk.
If you are too poor to afford an artist in the family than you should of thought about the cost of a useless leach on society before you let her go to college to learn how to be a lazy procrastinating slob for the rest of her life.
It's going to cost you a lot more money to make decent quality paper than to buy a 25kg roll off a suppler and than just cut it to size.

If your heart is set on it. You are gonna need some fine ass Swedish timber and an axe.
Chop down a tree strip its bark away and than dry it over a few cold windy winters.
How chip said timber in to small chunks and wash them.
Turn them in to smaller chunks via grinding stones or a rocks and your trusty wooden axe.
How cook your chunks untill you get a fine looking smooth paste of wood, and water. Change the water and add bleach. You can find bleach salts at a pool supply store to save on money.
When the paste becomes white enough for your daughter not consider dating it you boil off the water and let it dry.
When its at around 5% moisture its ready to be pressed in to sheets of paper. Determining the thickness of the sheets and the pressure setting of the press depends on your equipment and desired results.
Roll your paper in to large spools and cut spools to size.
>>
>>1080574
Except we want rag paper...
>>
>>1080596
yup
>>
>>1080596
You need some cotton then. Basically the same processes you need a fine pulp. There is another method where you sift a pulpy slurry through a framed screen. Google/YouTube that shit.

Not to be as harsh as the other guy but yeah you need to cut her some independence so she can learn to survive as an artist.

>people be like, why you a finish carpenter instead of a full time artist and why didn't you finish a degree?

Cause art rarely pays the bills or recover the degree costs.

If you're not averaging $5 a sheet it's not any cheaper than buying.
>>
>>1080553
You can find free old white clothes that you can decompose and make rag paper?
>>
Art school graduate here.

I never took the paper making class but my friend did. She continued to make paper including rag. She's a friggin pro but unless your daughter is going through the stuff like 1 ply toilet paper it ain't worth the effort and will cost you more in supplies. The quality of some commercial papers is incredible and would be a very long learning curve. I'd say it would take a while to be making commercial quality rag paper and probably would net you any savings unless she's using it quite a bit.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.