[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY homes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

Im 20 and interested in building my own home. I'm specifically interested in this one. http://www.thesmallhousecatalog.com/afewsmallwords/no-31-fraxinus. i have no idea what im doing but i know a guy who would understand the blue prints and i would arrange a price for what i would pay him and i would help him any way i could. but for the materials? how much do you think something like this will cost? I like this one because its a 2 bed 2 bath. Im 6"3 and i want my girlfriend to move out with me in a small house like this while she goes through college and i figure out that im going to do. so, i guess what my real question is, how much do you think this thing will cost? i live in cali if that means anything
>>
also, I know i would have to research everything necesary to make this a "livable" home and id have to find property i can place eit on. im just wondering how much it would cost (estimate) for a home like this
>>
Roughly $100 per square foot for a big house, but thing is, it doesn't scale linearly. Building a small house is going to cost more per sqft than a big house. Small house meme, etc.

But before that figure out what permits you need and whether you can even build it where you want it in the first place.
>>
>>1080424
>how much do you think something like this will cost?

Fuck if we know dude. What are the prices for shit where you live? Google it or call up a couple of local places and get prices.

>how much do you think this thing will cost?

More than the cost of an existing home of the same basic statistics in the area you want to build it. Custom is never cheaper.
>>
>>1080435
Idk opee said he was in cali. Its housing market makes florida look cheap in comparison...

>600,000 for 1000sqft house that is literally cinder bricks built on a fault line.

Op set aside $100,000 if in the end you have a bunch left over. Whoohoo good for you! But I would say hundred thousand minimum. Mainly because I know cali probably has building codes that have to deal with mudslides, earth quakes and fires.

(seriously ill take hurricanes and thunderstorms over that shit any day of the week)
>>
I'm in California. 31, paid off my ranch home. .2 acre "ranch" home. Yeah, well fuck you too.

Anyways, my next house I plan on building. I have some woodworking experience, but I'm determined and able to learn construction. Got a technical job over some fag with a certificate or whatever because of my 15 minutes of practice and a YouTube video.

Anyways, I plan on building my next home. I'm currently looking at .25 acres on an island that comes with a "cabin" and a pickup truck for 30k. It's expensive, but it's on a fucking island. I could catch dinner whenever.
>In b4 mercury poisoning.

For every 20 posters that say it can't be done, there's one that has done it and has pics. I'd design a small home that can be built in phases.
>>
>>1080424
Good job painting over that Hanjin logo.
>>
>>1080470
Just leave California. Follow I40 east until you see something you like, then plop down for $195/acre
>>
>>1080470
Building a house yourself is cheap as fuck. the majority of construction cost is labor and permitting my man.

you can build a 16' x 32' house on a piered foundation for less than 25k$, and thats finished inside and out.

judging by how fast the kids i taught to do it could work, a decently skilled guy working completely by himself could finish it in a month.

construction is actually really easy bro, there are only a handful of things that require help or a lot of practice and they are mostly high grade finish work type things or stuff that requires heavy equipment.

the sequence is:
>earthwork
>foundation
>floor/walls
>roof
>exterior finish
>interior finish
>plumbing and electrical as you go

just look up how to do each one of those thing and plan it out logically.

also, shop around for materials. cheap out on anything that can't be seen as long as it won't effect the integrity of the structure or burn the place down. like, you don't need brand new insulating panels that come in perfect 4x8 sheets, jigsawing scrap together is just as good and you aren't going to see it under the drywall anyways.
>>
how much it cost to frame a 12x18 cabin?
>>
>>1080470
>ranch home
It's a style of home construction, not a description of the lot size. Just like a Chicago school style home isn't necessarily going to be in Chicago.

>>1083008
A: Find out how much framing material costs where you want to but it.
B: Find out how much framing material will be required to frame a house of that size.
C=AxB
>>
You're never going to build a house cheaper than you can buy a used 10 year old mobile home.
>>
>>1083047
And you can never build a car cheaper than you can buy a used 10 year old mobility scooter. What is your point?
>>
>>1083051

My point is you can buy a 10k double wide, spent another 10k putting in new floors, cabinets, bathroom fixtures, etc, and have a much better dwelling than you will ever build yourself for 20k.
>>
>>1083052
A brand new double wide is like 25k for a nice one.
>>
>>1083060

They're 50k at least.

You can buy them around 10 years old for 10-15k all day long. If your object is to have a cheap, nice dwelling, you're not going to do better than a used double wide.
>>
>>1083061
There has never in the history of mankind ever been a 'nice' doublewide if we are using the same meaning of the word when referring to a house. It's like saying you had a 'nice' burrito at Taco Bell. Sure, by Taco Bell standards it was nice. That is to say, it didn't give you violent diarrhea. Mobile homes suck. They are cramped, have child sized versions of most appliances and fixtures, little in the way of thermal and sound insulation, and are fucking scary to be inside if you have high winds. God forbid you ever try to share it with another human being.
>>
>>1083069

The average double wide is 1800sqft. What are you blabbering about? That's probably three times the size of OP's homemade cuckshed.

Dollar for dollar, there's no way to beat a double wide.
>>
>>1083075
That's a good sized for a basement. Try squeezing a decent kitchen, a living room, a bathroom, a laundry room and a bedroom into that.

>Dollar for dollar, there's no way to beat a double wide.
And not a single penny of it will be nice.
>>
>>1083077

1800sqft is roughly the size of an average home in America. You're obviously some kind of retard or troll.
>>
>>1083078
Think of the average American for a minute. They are one of the most fucked up countries in the word. Huge amounts of people in prison, living below the poverty line, growing income disparity. How are they described? Uneducated, bigoted, fat, stupid, Trump supporters, real scum of the earth types. Now imagine the kind of homes these turds live in. Bare in mind that many of them can't even *afford* to *own* the home they are in. Instead, they pay someone living in a much nicer home to rent them their less nice home. Yeah, that's the average. The standard, substandard American way.

If you think 1,800 square feet is 'nice', and double wides are 'nice', you really, really, truly need to reevaluate your life.
>>
>>1083088

A double wide with new vinyl, new fixtures, and laminate flooring for less than the price of a new car is very nice. 1800sqft will easily fit 4 bedrooms 3 bathrooms, a good sized kitchen, and a large living room.

You can try to shit on double wide out of some arrogant self-righteousness, but there's no other dwelling out there that will provide everything above at a 20-25k price range. Are they something to aspire to? Not really. They are a clean and cheap alternative for someone trying to find a large dwelling.
>>
>>1083095
>1800sqft will easily fit 4 bedrooms 3 bathrooms, a good sized kitchen, and a large living room.
no it won't
>>
>>1083098

http://www.myjacobsenhomes.com/FLOORPLANS/manufactured_homes/2000/floorplan_TNR-46814W.html

>inb4 hurr durr 2085sqft

My point remains. There are very comfortable mobile homes at incredibly affordable price, particularly on the used market. Perhaps you should do your homework before trying to be an armchair expert.
>>
>>1083075
>Dollar for dollar, there's no way to beat a double wide.

yeah, for what? 15 more years?

those things fall apart so fucking fast. you'll end up having to buy a new one much sooner than you think. so in the long run you should have just built yourself a good house to begin with and saved yourself the equity.

your home should be an investment. mobile homes are basically renting till everything falls apart.
>>
>>1083103

OP just wants it until he figures out what to do. A mobile home has a shelf life of probably 25 years, while the mcmansions they build today have a lifespan of 35-45 years. The price difference doesn't justify any "equity" you think you have in one of those slapped-together suburban stick built homes.

If you're using your primary residence as an investment vehicle, you're doing it wrong anyway.
>>
>>1083103

I can work through the numbers with you if you'd like, but you're always going to be better off putting more money in actual investments than you will be buying more home to build up "equity."
>>
>>1083091
>you arent allowed to be happy if you're poorer than me because i'm not happy at all.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.