[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/ have any of you ever built a rocket for a project or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: 3.jpg (386KB, 1500x2254px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
386KB, 1500x2254px
Hey /diy/ have any of you ever built a rocket for a project or competition? If so, what was the process of creating one?
>>
>>1079668
me and my brother made some shitty homemade rockets out of rocket candy cardboard and some bog

about one in twenty worked the rest just fizzed out we probably made 30 or so rockets all of different designs

the ones that did work were quite amazing though reaching close to a kilometer vertically
>>
I got a 2 liter bottle, taped some cardboard wings on it and a little parachute. My teacher filled it with water and pumped air into it until it flew up. 9.8/10 would make again
>>
Look up rocket candy.
Potassium Nitrate and Sugar make a great rocket propellant. Its essentially the DIY standard for rocket making. I recommend using thin walled PVC pipe (cpvc) or even thin copper/steel pipe.
>>
Using hobby motors? You can start here. https://www.apogeerockets.com/RockSim/RockSim_Information

What are your goals?
>>
File: 1422149985654.jpg (96KB, 770x524px) Image search: [Google]
1422149985654.jpg
96KB, 770x524px
>>1079668
>>
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0132477/
>>
>>1079668
Friend and I made a lot of them back in high school.
Home made granular and powdered blackpowder, cardboard tubing, and getting the nozzle diameters right was kind of difficult. Mostly we made a lot of 'not a bomb mum' as a side-effect if I'm honest as the failure rate was pretty high, so try to avoid using any metal components unless you really feel the need to soak up some shrapnel.

Using some powdered magnesium, iron and aluminium in the mix tended to increase the catalyzation of free oxygen made by the rockets, but that took quite a lot of fiddling to get right as well.
>>
>>1079668
Water rockets are pretty cool. 2L bottles are fun and easy to use. And then there's these people. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r9gmLfpFTg
>>
>>1079697
We did that in 11th grade physics but without a parachute, the point being to estimate the max height and where it would land
My partner and i didnt care at that ppoint, wrapped it in half a roll of duct tape, and melted 3 sticks of glue into the tip. It dented someones car in the parking lot when it landed. It then flew again perfectly finelater that year when everyone elses broke on impact with asphaly
>>
>>1079668
I've made a few rockets, model (B-E motors), some HPRs as well. I've worked with some higher power rockets too (though not alone). I do want to build my own hybrid/liquid engine, but there are a few complexities behind that.

Normally, model rockets and HPR kits make you use solid motors (normally black powder fuel grains). The fuel grains are prepackaged and packed into the rocket motor. Normally the motor expels gas against the grain walls, producing thrust and accelerating the burn rate.

If you were to build your own rocket fuels (I've made sugar rockets before, they aren't too powerful but 1000ft is fairly reasonable for a well designed rocket, higher is probably conceivable without my altitude payload), the fuel (such as sugar) can be packed with a solid oxidizer. Normally it's KNO3 (can be found in fertilizer), but you can also experiment with other oxidizers such as Al2O3. A lot of people use PVC/Cardboard or even ABS for their rocket body because they are lightweight. Use a charrable ceramic or resin doped piece of paper to hold your motor in. Figuring out the recovery can be a little difficult. Before I figured out the proper timing for delay charges, I used a spring that activated when a small bob started to float upwards and thus release the drogue chute.
>>
>>1079975
>not using explosively deployed shoots
Bush leagues detected
>>
>>1079668
In highschool we designed and built a rocket that required FAA flight plan registration and approval.

The physics and chemistry classes were in charge of the calculations and engine creation. The drafting tech class designed blueprints to build it and do the mass and moment calcs. The computer programming classes designed the telemetry software and electronics payload with a shitload of sensors like altitude, vibration, wind speed, engine stage sensors and general flight control bullshit and two cameras.

And the engineering/shop class manufactured the body, separation stage, parachute and all that.

I was in both the software and physics classes sides of the project. This was before the advent of the raspberry pi, and easily programmed plug and play microcontrollers too.

If memory serves we just barely achieved 7km.

I still remember how awesome it was seeing it blast off the stand straight up into the air and chasing the parachute as it came back down. And getting the photos back, seeing all the data was just as awesome.

The AV club was in charge of documenting the whole thing and put together an awesome program about the whole thing for the school assembly.

Deffinately a 10/10 experience
>>
>>1079673
so did 1 work or 2?
>>
>>1079668
Created liquid hydrogen/oxygen and created a valve system as well as a storage tank and detachable phases.

Lets just say people don't like it when their roof is destroyed by a part of the rocket.
>>
>>1079673
>one in twenty
Lol
I built just four RCandy motors and had a 50:50 success rate. Get on my level, scrub.
>>
>>1080292
>>
>>1080193
This sounds awesome mate
>>
File: 1474034350723.jpg (3MB, 3200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1474034350723.jpg
3MB, 3200x1800px
>>1079668
I put together a sidewinder when I was a kid. I'll post it later.
I also make a 3 d motor cluster rocket in shop class. It worked when my faggot teacher said it wouldn't and I felt proud and vindicated. I also found a condom (not used) and put that on a rocket. I called it condom one. I was a retard in middle school.
>>
>>1079928
>500 psi
Wew lad
That's impressive.
>>1080193
What high school did you go to?
We never had anything close to a collaboration like this.
>>1080348
Story time
>>
powdered zinc/powdered sulphur mix 1:1 ratio.
ignition is around 1200C, to achieve this i use a 1Kohm resistor as an ignition cap and connect it via booster cables to a 12v car battery.

now, some of the less educated than the think they are will mumble and moan " but ma oxidisers", zinc/sulphur mix works on an ionic level, no one is exactly sure why it ignites and why it produces the energy it does, it just does. google it.

the Brits intended on using this mix to fuel their HOTOL project.

now i've tried this mix using standard rocket motor casings but found the ehaust temp burns the crap out of the outlet area so i machined a small brass vent 10mm long, 6mm in diameter with opposing cones in the centre both with 4mm openings tapering down to 1mm where they meet in the middle, i just cut he casing to fit, fill with mix and then epoxy the vent in place. easily removed and cleaned up the vents can be reused around 8-10 times .
>>
I remember when the Estes catalog was so fun!
>>
>>1080193
i got gypsied out of my education
>>
File: edit.png (2MB, 672x2768px) Image search: [Google]
edit.png
2MB, 672x2768px
>>1079668
In my college I had a competition
- create rocket in the OpenRocket program
- simulate to reach a target at 50 meters
-calculate maximum height 380 meters, 300 km / h etc.
- modeling in SolidWorks
- send 3d printing
- make an altimeter with arduino (search for "LAE-P altimeter")
- On the day we received the motor
-we set the launch angle and fire
-gg

I have a lot more content / stuff , videos of launch etc about this, I summarized in few images, if you prefer I can send you

Sorry for my bad English (google translator)
>>
File: edit.png (917KB, 429x1765px) Image search: [Google]
edit.png
917KB, 429x1765px
>>1079668
In my college I had a competition
- create rocket in the OpenRocket program
- simulate to reach a target at 50 meters
-calculate maximum height 380 meters, 300 km / h etc.
- modeling in SolidWorks
- send 3d printing
- make an altimeter with arduino (search for "LAE-P altimeter")
- On the day we received the motor
-we set the launch angle
-gg

I have a lot more content / stuff videos of launch about this, I summarized in few images, if you prefer I can send you

Sorry for my bad English (gogle translator)
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.