[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Robot power

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

If I'm building a robot that needs some major power.
Would a hydrogen fuel cell be good?

Specifically I'm looking at combining a 300 watt fuel cell with a 20Ah 48v battery with some capacitors to smooth out any large power usage spikes.
>>
You're going to kill yourself

You have no idea how difficult it is to seal hydrogen

Npt+ptfe don't work

You need an xray perfect weld at all joints and even then the hydrogen will find a way out
>>
>>1079418
I think he just intends to buy one online, not build it himself. He's using the cell to power something else that he's building himself.
>>
>>1079393
>> Look up this https://www.google.bg/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&client=ubuntu&q=why%20hydrogen%20is%20not%20used%20as%20a%20fuel&oq=why%20&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i65j69i57j0l3.1204j0j7

Also consider that to extract 100 w of power you need to spend at least 101 w of power (at best, but you will most likely spend 150+) and by the time you use that power the hydrogen will escape the container.

That being fact, you are better off making a huge array of the best batteries you can find, it will be more reliable and cheap at least.
>>
>>1079393
also, another option is using propane powered generator, still a better, more powerful and cheaper option than this shit cell
>>
>>1079393

NASA and the defence industry have good fuel cells but you can't buy that shit off the shelf.
>>
>>1079428
Yes, robot arms with tank treads. Working on the arms right now.

>>1079434
>huge array of the best batteries
I'm using a big lithium battery for an electric bike.

>>1079435
Like an engine? Or do you mean some type of propane fuel cell.

>>1079460
fuelcellstore.com has them, but they are expensive
>>
>>1079502

> fuelcellstore.com has them, but they are expensive

Useless hydrogen shit. The actually useful ones run on methanol or ethanol (directly or through hydrogen conversion).
>>
>>1079502
Lithium ion or lithium polymer?

It makes a BIG difference
>>
>>1079393

I normally don't like to hate, but everything about this is stupid. Literally everything.

If you ACTUALLY NEED more power than you can get out of high-performance lithium batteries, a 300W fuel cell isn't going to do shit.

If you are considering 300W to be "major power", you have no idea what even relatively small batteries are capable of, and your battery is grossly oversized.

If you think a fuel cell is better at delivering power than a battery, you are sorely mistaken.

If you think you can use reasonably-sized capacitors to handle power surges, you are both failing to consider how little energy capacitors store, and the fact that they'll do almost nothing, since they can only discharge themselves as far as the voltage from the battery/fuel cell sag under load.

Simply, if you need power on a level too great for your battery to supply...you need a bigger battery. There exist extremely high-performance cells that have continuous discharge rates high enough to completely drain the battery in less than a minute. There's nothing that can out-perform that except in use cases that aren't applicable to you.
>>
>>1079393
buy some lipo batteries, theres rarely if ever a need for a hydrogen fuel cell
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-03-18-24-37.png (145KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-03-18-24-37.png
145KB, 720x1280px
What you do is talk your fag chode and put it on top of a frog
>>
File: 1476288655253.png (173KB, 349x446px) Image search: [Google]
1476288655253.png
173KB, 349x446px
>>1079393
>hydrogen fuel cell
>>
>>1079573
>>1079580
LiFePo4 is what I have.

>>1079576
Thanks for the response, but a bigger battery than the 20Ah one I have is not what I want. The super caps is just there to help a little to get that motor or gear moving.
>>
Use this.

http://www.honda.co.uk/industrial/products/generators/portable/specifications.html

900W for 3.8 hours on a full tank.
>>
Why not just build a pack based around the latest 18650 li-ion cells? They're up to 3500mah per cell now, probably 2 or 3 times as much energy as your LiFePo4 cells.
>>
>>1079659
Looks like my 38120 cells have almost three times the capacity if I'm reading it right.
>>
>>1080172
More than 1/3 the capacity, about 1/5 the price.
>>
>>1080173
But I already have the battery.
>>
>>1080177
Sell them and get more
>>
>>1080178
Also mine is already very heavy. More cells would be even more bulky. I don't think you realize how big we are talking.
>>
>>1080181
18650 is way smaller. Less than half as long counting the screw terminals
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.