[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chess board

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_6821.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6821.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
So I snagged this marble chess set for $9 at the local thrift.
Board measures 16"x16"
I'd like to make a wood base, frame, or something to protect the board from who-knows-what-kind-of-accidents.
It's a really nice chess board, it'd be a shame if someone were to break it.
>>
Are you asking us how to break the chess boards legs? What's the question? What tools and skills do you have? What's your budget?
>>
>>1079374
>I'd like to make a wood base, frame, or something to protect the board from who-knows-what-kind-of-accidents.

Skills: everything but woodworking.
Tools: hand tools, dremel, etc.
Thoughts: would like to avoid "popsicle stick and glue" picture frame. Honestly, just a wood border is what I have in mind and the skills to do, but I'm looking for anyone else's thoughts on the subject.

See how this board sits in its (probably) wood base? Minimal is something like that, just so I'm not bashing the marble corners, etc.
>>
Cut a square out of anyfucking thing. Masonite if you're cheap, or birch plywood. Size it to the same dimensions as the board, or like a 1/32 of an inch over.

Then get some moulding from the hardware store--this can be a few cents a foot for simple quarter round, or you can spend more for really fancy stuff. The thickness of the moulding will determine whether the lip sits below the top surface of the board (like in your pic), or above it.

Make miter cuts and frame it around the square of wood or whatever. Stick it together with regular wood glue and clamp it tight for 24 hours.

Finish the wood to your liking. A little stain and polyurethane would be fine.

You now have a little tray to set the board in. I would also put little felt circles on the bottom of the wood tray.

If you can't cut a square and make eight miter cuts, you shouldn't be allowed to leave the house without a caretaker.
>>
>>1079473
>If you can't cut a square and make eight miter cuts, you shouldn't be allowed to leave the house without a caretaker.

That's is like 87% of the world's population
>>
File: Wood-Moulding-9090-K1-.jpg (57KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Wood-Moulding-9090-K1-.jpg
57KB, 1280x960px
>>1079371
>I'd like to make a wood base, frame, or something to protect the board from who-knows-what-kind-of-accidents.

Got some decorative wood moulding and miter cut the ends then glue/nail them together like a picture frame, then glue the chess board into the opening (flip the pic upside down)
>>
>>1079473
>>1079549
Good, thanks for the reassurance. I had a similar thought, but my only concern was the bottom of the moulding. The chess board easily weighs 7+lbs., no clue. Would the glue be enough to withstand time and odd weight distribution, with handling? Maybe...
>Get two square boards cut, 16-ish-inch square.
>top square supports chessboard
>bottom square forms flat base with siding, cover with felt or just stain/seal with the rest of it.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.