[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make a heat-resistant putty. I'm using a thermistor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: NTC_bead.jpg (26KB, 581x524px) Image search: [Google]
NTC_bead.jpg
26KB, 581x524px
I want to make a heat-resistant putty. I'm using a thermistor to measure the temperature of a metal block for a laboratory experiment. It's at the bottom of a blind hole about half an inch deep, just wide enough to fit the thermistor, which is the free-hanging type like this one. The block heats up to a maximum of 150 degrees C.
I don't want to use JB weld or similar because we might want to put in a different thermistor, or swap out the block for a different one while keeping the same thermistor.
So I want to make some kind of a play-doh-like putty that I can mix with thermal paste and use to pack the thermistor into the hole, that won't dry out and harden with the heat.
What should I be looking for?
>>
Does it need to be solid at 150C? If not, silicone oil or heat transfer wax would work.
Or if quick response isn't the most important thing ever, you could use spring to press the bead against the metal.
>>
>>1079372
Quick response is important, and yes, it needs to stay solid. The thermistor goes up into the hole from the bottom and if the putty melts, it'll fall out.
>>
>>1079376
Filling the cavity with the thermistor with thermal paste using a thermoplast as plug might work.
>>
>>1079367
Epoxy
>>
>>1079367
tap the hole
bore out center of machine screw just enough for leads
put in thermistor
thread leads through screw
screw in until lightly finger tight (thermistor pressed up against block
>>
>>1079440
Good idea. If the good conductivity/high thermal capacity of the screw is a problem for his application he could turn a screw out of nylon.
>>
File: thermistor.jpg (920KB, 2581x2903px) Image search: [Google]
thermistor.jpg
920KB, 2581x2903px
>>1079440
Excellent idea, this works perfectly. I like it a lot better than putty.
I added a spring too, which has a double function of pressing the thermistor against the metal and limiting the bend radius of the wires coming out of the screw.
Thank you anon, you're a gentleman and a scholar.
>>
>>1079590
awesome stuff
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.