[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gas forge recommendation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 5BD1.jpg (652KB, 2295x2220px) Image search: [Google]
5BD1.jpg
652KB, 2295x2220px
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a forge to get into blacksmithing. Price range is up to or around $500. I'm planning on starting with just architectural and decoration type stuff but would like to move in to knife making. Any body have a good recommendation? From my 10 minutes of research both majestic and diamondback seem pretty decent.

Or at the end of the day would you recommend a coal forge?
>>
the "devil forge" ones from lithuania are pretty damn good for the price - it would help if you said where in the world you are, since that may not be much use if you're in outer mongolia.
>>
>>1078573
Oh, totally forgot, eastern USA
>>
Get 2 bags of refractory cement and make your own

Would cost you a lot less than $500
>>
>>1078648
This. Two bags of castable refractory cement should run you about $50. Pipes, valves and fittings will run you another $100 or so. Gas tank, $50. Done.
>>
>>1078698
Also, here's a FAQ and doc that'll help if you decide to go DIY on your DIY project:

http://www.anvilfire.com/article.php?bodyName=/FAQs/gas_forges.htm
>>
>>1078573
flux will eat through ceramic blanket realllllly fast. youll end up doing a lot of work rebuilding it

>>1078648
its a bit more complex than that

>>1078698
not done. i dont think ive ever seen a no-weld propane forge.

op, either make one or ask a local blacksmith to
>>
>>1078698
Definitely, depending on the size I've made little knife forges out of a $5 toolbox, high-temp cement, sand and about $10 worth of fittings- that'll handle blades up to about 20-25cm.
Add blowtorch and you're done.

>>1078541
Start small mate. Single burner and if you're not into cement then strapping together some kiln bricks works just fine for a couple of dollars each
I prefer refac-cement and/or kiln bricks because they're super low maintenance and just seem to hold together for ages.
>>
>>1078541
Highly do not recommend coal. Well. Charcoal anyway. Not sure how similar they are but its a bitch always dealing with ashes and moving shit either way.

Propane is king.

Faily cheap. Controllable woth knobs like in your pic. And 0 dicking with it other than bottle changes

I built a foundry with a quickie burner and all the charcoal, oils, and fuels i run suck dick.

Natural gas or propane next time.

Maybe both.

I have access to natural gas at cost and a sturdy trailer for a mobile forge.

I'm in the same boat as op with about the same budget and research done. But the foundrys are similar so maybe i have a small leg up. Dunno.

Bamp for interest. Cheers fellas
>>
>>1078648
Can even do plaster and sand if u dont mind lava blowing in your face. Cost u 40 bucks.
>>
>>1078926
And farting out a fuck load of C02.

just use fire brick, any fuck fire shop carries them. Cut em with a saw. No fucking about with forms.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.