[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dimmers for lighting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

File: switch.jpg (38KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
switch.jpg
38KB, 340x340px
Hi guys

I want to dim a 120W halogen lamp in my room, like max brightness to work / reasonnable to live / low for guests, chill and stuff.

I bought a cheap (~14€) touch sensitive switch, it worked fine but made this constant buzzing noise, louder than my PC or shitty fridge. Unbearable.

I brought it back to the store and bought the classic shit I see everywhere in public places, pic related. 39€ plus fucking 11€ for the front plate. It works smooth, except it won't switch on. You can raise the light level with "+", lower it with "-", or switch off with the big button, but pressing the big button again does nothing. You have to hold on the "+" for a while to increase level from 0. Like I want to stop by the button and press it for 5 seconds every time I want light...

Do you guys know anything about good dimmers for average price ? I can afford a little investment if it's worth it but 120€ for a switch is too much for me.

The ideal thing would be an analog-like round knob or sliding button thing, with a classic on-off switch on the side, but it looks like nobody wants simple designs, and all I can find is uselessly complicated UI like pic related. Am I asking too much ?

TL;DR : I need a simple and reliable dimmer for halogen bulb, pic related is shit, wat do ?
>>
>>1078463
Was it the dimmer itself or the halogen bulb(s) that was buzzing?

I have used plenty of cheap dimmers and never had a dimmer that buzzed. I have, however, had many incandescent bulbs that vibrated and whined/buzzed when used with a dimmer.
>>
>>1078469
It was the dimmer. I was really the cheapest stuff.

The 50€ Legrand thing buzzes too, but you really have to put your ear on the thing to hear it, it's not a problem.

Both dimmers said "for halogen and incandescent", min 40W max 300W (ish)
>>
is there any particular reason, you are ignoring the classic rotary-shaped wall dimmer? idk wtf that is your pic, but, that aint no 'classic' in my book - rotaries have always been the most popular, mainly for the reason they are simple and quick to use.

You ghet two varaitions, click rotary for on (switches on, then level set, all in one 'sweep') or, push button for on, rotary for level - prefer the first as usually more reliable, slightly slower than push-click on/off, but night and day faster than that +/- shit.

Basically, avoid the fuck anything that says 'touch' or 'glass' - invaraibly meme bullshit that will be slower than slow to use, if and when it works - and buy decent quality rotary, Legrand should be good if available. Some lamps are still gonna be noisier than others, halogen, unless you mount the trafo elsewhere, never be 100% quiet with a wallmount. But buying cheap/meme shit will make it 50 times worse.
>>
>>1078485
Well thank you, and I 100% agree with what you say (that's what I was thinking in the beginning) but my retarded country seems to disagree with you.

The "push for on, rotary for level" thing you described is exactly what I was looking for when I went to the store. But nope. Nothing like it.

They have rotary only in the "very cheap" line of products, where I bought my touch panel thing. But having to set a level each time I switch on messes with my autism, and anyway these proved their shittiness with the buzzing one I tried. An no click there.

Anything else in the semi-expensive lines of switches was this retarded + / - setup. I think it's overly complicated and harder to use but I was ready to accept it, so I bought this one.

I looks like Legrand is not good quality anymore. I searched for a bit and found people complaining everywhere, the shit switches on an of by itself or stops working after a few years. I don't even know if the lack of "on" function is by design, or if I got a broken one. Can't find any more info on their website, the product page is almost empty.

The noise problem was only with the cheap touch thing. And I never got noise on the lamp. I don't know exactly what transfo you're talking about, the halogen lamps I have are regular bulbs that replace the incandescent ones when they got banned (sigh) a few years ago. They go in the same socket without any modification.

And 200% with you on the touch bullshit, I bought it for the price but I can't even understand why people could want to remove the "click" feedback of a button in this context.
>>
Someone ?

On the internet every product I can find have comments saying it's shit...
>>
>>1078523
'trafo' mayb been the wrong word, just mean the electronics used for the actual dimming circuit (which also produces the noise) can be seperated from the actual level control, as is common in professional lighting, seperate dimmers and low-voltage controls You get systems for 'domestic' use, with seperate electronics and a low voltage wall control control, but, were getting complicated, esoteric and expensive now.

Anyway, dunno where your
>retarded country
is exactly, but if you in EURoLand, can try Busch-Jaeger - heres a UK link (as English)
>https://www.amazon.co.uk/Busch-Jaeger-2250-Busch-Dimmer-Insert/dp/B000ONPBVQ/
but if you can understand german, get it off the AMZ DE site, cheaper, also more reviews on there, they should be OK. Heres a catalog with pages of the damn things, fill your boots;)
>https://www.busch-jaeger.de/uploads/tx_bjeprospekte/19-Catalogue_2012_Dimmer.pdf

Legrand may well be shit now - can only judge on stuff Ive pulled that was still working (usually commercial installs, so heavy duty), most of the Busch stuff was still good. Should also get cheaper in ebay whatever, but for one piece, maybe not worth the hassle of hunting - I've flung away crates of these damn things last time I moved, just realised the price of them.. certainly solid, if not cheap, cant think of any other brand recommends, maybe someone else might.
>>
be glad you don't have LED lighting. dimming this shit is hell...
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-02-11-25-20.png (143KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-02-11-25-20.png
143KB, 800x1280px
>>1078463
Usually it buzzes because the light bulb is in compatabile with dimmer switch. Something with teh regulation of the power flowing through the switch to the LED bulb, but i only hear about this problem with led bulbs not halogen. Upgrade your dimmer and it should be fine. Check out a company called lutron, i work at home depot and thats pretty much the exclusive brand of dimmer we sell.
>>
>>1078802
Thanks for all that info, I don't speak german but I'm gonna try
>>1078849
The shit in your pic is even better than what I had in mind. So simple and intuitive. I'm gonna dig that stuff, thanks.

>>1078806
Yeah I heard. I'm not fond of led lighting, expensive, hard to find good color, and the energy economy is bullshit for my case because the 100W of heat my 120W halogen makes is 100W less my heaters will have to make so...
>>
File: p_1000826958.jpg (73KB, 670x1000px) Image search: [Google]
p_1000826958.jpg
73KB, 670x1000px
>>1078901
Dont you think if you put I dont know, a 100w heater, that it would be more efficent to heat a house? What about in the kitchen when your preparing a large dinner, i dont think you like sweating heavier then grandpas nutsack during a long hot sweat drenching bingo session without ac. You need to look harder for more legitimate brands, like Philips,Cree, ecosmart, and more. The whole point of a led is bulb is longevity, by the time you change you halogen 20 times your led bulb will still be burning. Now you may be confusing certain led bulbs with eco energy saver bulbs like CFL, which are compact fluorescent lights. Those are garbage because they cannot be dimmed, they have a faint buzzing sound with certain brands, and it takes a few seconds to get to its full brightness. LEDs have a long way to go but its exciting to see the first generation of the smart home coming on the market. With led bulbs having a camera and microphone built in it, led bulbs with wifi repeaters, and even led bulbs that run during power outages. I dont know about you but LED bulbs are pretty much the future, in my province their actually phasing all incandescent bulbs by year end resulting in most led bulbs being just a 1$ after discounts.
>>
>>1078933
Unfortunately going for "legitimate brands" is no guarantee of quality.

I don't know about current production but last I checked into Cree lamps they all had 120Hz flicker, and the latest 2700K dimmable Philips lamps with the fancy CCT-lowering feature also have 120Hz flicker. Last I checked the old Philips without the CCT feature and flicker were still available online but I haven't seen them in stores any more.
>>
>>1078944
Forgot to mention I'm not OP, just some other guy.
>>
>>1078933
>With led bulbs having a camera and microphone built in it, led bulbs with wifi repeaters, and even led bulbs that run during power outages.
weeeelll.. at least one of the above is maybe useful. For the rest, camera, mic and internet-enabled fucking lightbulbs, we are maybe stretching the definition of 'Smart' somewhat here.
>>
>>1078933
Always trust /diy to pick a few words in your reply and make it a whole new pointless debate.

Anyway, just to feed the troll :
Every watt of "lost" energy is heat. There is no energy disappearing, if your device is 20% efficient, it's 20% energy for the shit it's supposed to do, and 80% heat. So in the summer it could be 80% of useless electricity consumption, but in the winter we don't give a fuck at all and it will not make your bill heavier.

And I don't use my lights in the summer, I have sunlight from 5:30 to 22:30 and after that I live in the dark because open windows and moskitoes. And I don't want people in the street to see my (relatively) pricey electronics.

------------------------ [/bullshit] ---------------------------

Okay so in stores in my city it's + / - crap all the way. I only found a Siemmens rotary one, anyone knows what it's worth ? No sight of >>1078802 and >>1078849 glorious technology in stores.

I might order "Lutron lyneo llsm - 502B-FSN-M" from Ebay, what do you think ?

Or the Busch-Jaeger stuff but it will take me time to understand what is what and where I can order it. I'm studiing it now.
>>
File: 31020162107139.jpg (102KB, 480x635px) Image search: [Google]
31020162107139.jpg
102KB, 480x635px
>>1078944
Cree is all china crap thus the flicker problem, i am not saying Philips is the best its just a bit better then whats available, but ye its more expensive then cree and they sure like to change the design to the extent that you may not pick up the same looking bulb after 6 months.
>>1078965
Did you read about the part where I said first generation? They are still advertising the "amazement" of having your blinds controlled by your phone as if its the next sliced bread. We are beginning to see better home automation with our phones but its still first generation shit thats prone to breaking and bugging. Most blue tooth devices have trouble connecting, i am sure there's even more connectivity problems with the systems built around modems. Whats your definition of smart? How is a light bulb that can be scheduled to turn off and on at a certain time while having a setting to detect motion and have the light set at a certain brightness when it detects that motion not considered smart? Or how about the sensors that can be placed around the house that could sense the times when people enter rooms so they can heat and cool certain parts of the house accordingly. We are at a time where you can walk in through the front door of your house without using a key, getting your coffee or drink made via blue tooth, while having all your lights set and temperature at a perfect coolant just to sit and chill while your roomba vacuums the whole house with its 3d mapping technology. Sure it can turn into 1984 real fast, but meh blue tooth made popcorn aint so bad.
>>
>>1078933
Please stop thinking a good heater will make 2W of heat out of 1W of electricity.
>>
File: 1419334522647.jpg (38KB, 320x267px) Image search: [Google]
1419334522647.jpg
38KB, 320x267px
>>1078977
You god damn monogoloid lost heathen soul, maybe you should shove more cow shit between your window stylls to stop that cold wintery draft of poverty flowing through your mud hut. Yes you are right when you say incandescent bulbs give a good heat source, so if your so keen on the light to heat ratio why not have some god damn fucking torches burning then? What, i mean its 100% electric free and 100% hot. I am not paying attention to your stone throwing gabba gabbba math tactics, ill just ignore what you said because its obviously that your sitting right next to that hot incandescent bulb living it up with the village drunk

https://www.bchydro.com/news/unplug_this_blog/2014/incandescent-heating-myth.html
>>
File: 1441635578675.jpg (69KB, 675x663px) Image search: [Google]
1441635578675.jpg
69KB, 675x663px
>>1078979
Please stop ignoring the point that using a god damn light bulb as heat source is on the same lines of using a dishwasher as a blender. Its possible buts still wildly god damn inefficient compared to plugging in a fucking blender. Maybe your the same guy who turns on the oven and leaves it open to heat up his house to eh? MAYBE I SHOULD DIG A GOD DAMN BONFIRE PIT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY HOUSE FOR MORE HEAT.
>>
Okay so I'm still investigating the Busch-Jaeger stuff, and still having trouble with the seller's accuracy on product pages.

I found on ebay something that looks like the stuff I want, pic related on the kind anon's PDF. But it's sold as "BUSCH-JAEGER 6540-24" which, on said PDF, seems to be just a front plate. But it's sold for 33€, so it can't be just the cover riiight ?

But how do I know which mechanism is inside ? What if it's the 100W max thing, or a LED thing ?

They also have the mechanisms without front plate, but it starts at around 70€ and it's too much. That makes me think the 33€ shit could pretty much be just a cover...

I tried amz.de but I really don't understand a thing in german.

I think I will keep the main light at 100% and install a secondary system with warm light leds and a dimmer from a shitty chineese website.
>>
>>1078986
For the last time, I don't use my bulbs as heaters, I just don't give a fuck if they emit heat.

I built my PC around energy efficiency because I use it all the year including summer, and summer can be very hot. I don't use lighting during summer so i'm not chasing efficiency on my bulbs. I WILL switch to LEDs in the future, like I WILL switch to an electric car. I just don't think it's the moment right now. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't give a fuck. I'm talking dimmers with a few helpful anons right now, could you please leave us ?
>>
>>1078994

Did I (or did I not) give you a link to the Busch dimmer catlog? In English? Eh?

I'll check up the number (but later, football is), standard you just get the dimmer unit and order a cover plate to match - only the cheap shit comes with cover, has at least the advantage, you can alwys swap later. And , at 33€, it very def. could be just the cover plate..

>found a Siemmens rotary one
the problem, they (assuming 'Siemens') make shitloads of stuff, their dimmers probably run 10€ to over 100€.. if a big box /diy/ store, its probably their cheap shit Delta-line crap, but, has the advantag, you can always return it. Shouldnt be total shit either, but, as said, cheapest shit not gonna much (if any) different all the other Chinese rubbish. Anyway, you've triggered someone now with your incandescents as heating comments - leave you to it ;) but, for simplicity, maybe just grab the Siemens and try that, useless? - take it back.
>>
>>1079004
You buy chinkware, thats all you will ever hear is buzzing. And fyi most north american dimmers are around 600-800w for the average house hold dimmer. 100w is literal low voltage lighting or LED. Oh look you responded to my irrelevant comment regarding your stupid sense that you want to keep your bulbs around for heating. I am helping you by slapping the stupid outta you, the dimmers you are aiming for seem to be shit, but yet absurdly priced. Is it that hard to talk to electrician to see where his supplier is? Unless all the electricians in your country shit out magical wall switch eggs they have a supplier and most of the times its open to the public.
>>
File: dimmer.png (61KB, 585x426px) Image search: [Google]
dimmer.png
61KB, 585x426px
>>1079006
I don't know if I'm speaking clearly (seriously I don't know), but if it wasn't the case I said I was trying to match the catalog you linked me with the shit ebay sells. The 33€ thing bears the reference of a front plate but I assume they couldn't sell a piece of plastic at this price...

The mechanisms without front plate range like 70 - 150€ and that's a bit too much right now if it's really their price range.

Do you know the Lutron stuff the other anon was talking about ?

The Siemens one is actually Delta, is it that shitty ?

I just want something like pic related for less than 60€ in good quality, do you think it's possible or am I being cheap ?

Actually the best would be a plate with a half sized classic on-off switch, and a linear potentiometer on the other half. But clickable rotary looks great too.
>>
I understand all you american anons think i'm stupid, but I actually never have seen anything else than the + / - bullshit IRL. The Legrand I showed in first post is really everywhere.
>>
>>1078463
make your own using ATTINY arduino, 2 Mohm wires and a SSR.
>eurofag spending ~50$ on a shitty button.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.