[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Connecting LSM to Electronic interface

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1338.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1338.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hey /diy/.

Trying to set up an old micrometer to do some measurements for school project. I'm using an RS232C to USB connector. (not actually measuring the diameter of a lighter, only used for example)

Only problem is that we need to export the data onto an electronic interface. Figured I could use my raspberry pi using installed Telnet to bounce the echo signal function on the ZMike device.
>>
>>1078040
> export the data onto an electronic interface
What do you mean by that? You can already got the data on your PC from the RS232->USB adapter. Why would you add the extra step of putting it on Telnet through a Raspberry Pi?
>>
>>1078062
i haven't figured out a way to get the measurements onto the PC. the machine works, and i know it's capable of putting out data, i'm just not sure how to handshake the device.
>>
>>1078144
short the pins on the 3.5mm jack marked 'data send' and it squirts out the displayed reading to the serial port.
>>
>>1078179
do i need to use a program to receive the measurements on the Pi? it's not popping up as a USB ready device.
>>
>>1078187
the pi has a real serial port, why aren't you using that?
>>
>>1078187
Can't answer that question with no idea what OS is on your pi. On Windows the adapter should show up as a COM port in the device manager. You'll need a serial terminal program like this one to open the port and see the data coming out of it: http://www.hw-group.com/products/hercules/index_en.html

On a linux system check the dev/ directory and you should see something like ttyUSB. Install PuTTy and open it.

If you really want to impress you're TA you can connect the RS232 device to your pi without a USB adapter. Use a MAX232 to go through it's UART.
>>
>>1078189
I see the usb0 filepath, but the putty isn't recognizing the connection.

I know the LSM is in echo console mode, and that its appearing in the dev directory...
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.