[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/diy/ approved brands

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 25

File: Dewalt logo.png (32KB, 2000x717px) Image search: [Google]
Dewalt logo.png
32KB, 2000x717px
i'v seen dewalt used by every handyman and mechanic i'v known. (i own a small 12v dewalt drill myself)

i'm thinking of buying this dewalt buffer for my car
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWP849X-7-Inch-Variable-Polisher/dp/B004W1WGIC/ref=s9_simh_gw_g469_i1_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=TB0PV713SJBF2W1C14QM&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=cca70e28-a3b0-4f0d-b847-0ae9cb54558a&pf_rd_i=desktop

is dewalt good in your opinion?
i want to know if there are other good brands /diy/ approves of like makita, milwaukee tools, etc
>>
File: HarborFreight.png (14KB, 250x160px) Image search: [Google]
HarborFreight.png
14KB, 250x160px
>>
I have a set of 18 v makita drills, the impact driver is a life saver
>>
/diy/ = whatever is cheap enough to complete a project
>>
>>1077488

Porter Cable is ok too.

DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee and craftsman are all solid tools.

Craftsman tends to be on the lower end anymore. Unless you can get some of their older corded tools... those things rock.

When i buy cordless tools i tend to stick with DeWalt. But thats more because i got a really good deal on a hammer drill / impact driver combo kit and i already have the battery platform and dont want to have 4 brands of chargers and batteries to keep track of. I can just buy bare tools now and bounce back between my 4 batteries.

For hand tools take a serious look at what you will be doing with them. Because in MOST cases Harbor freight is just fine. avoid Harbor Freight power tools like the plague though.
>>
DeWalt™ brand DeWalt™ 20V© Tools® are the only way to go, if you're a man, that is.

I don't like how the rubber shit comes off after heavy use, but show me a drill that shit doesnt fall off of.
>>
i used to use dewalt but this year i switched to ridged cuz i'm a plumbing fag. i really really love the design and the feel of them. btw had 2 cordless dewalt sawzalls actually break in half while using them. dunno if the newer are better quality or not but i would recommend ridged
>>
>>1077550
>show me a drill that shit doesnt fall off of
The kind of drill that doesn't need it. Pic related. What B&D drills used to look like back in the 50's. They changed the name of their 'Professional' line of tools to DeWalt in the early 90's.
>>
>>1077488
DeWalt
Milwaukee
Bosch
Hilti
Klein
Estwing
Ideal
Greenlee
Fluke
Chanellock
Craftsman
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (140KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
140KB, 1920x1080px
>>1077562
And the image didn't attach.
>>
Milwaukee
>>
>>1077488
For irons I know Weller and Hakko are the good ones. Aoyue rework stations seem arrite too.
>>
>>1077529
Ridgid makes some decent drills. And I'm ok with JET drill presses.
>>
File: download.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
>>1077564
>>1077573

JET is expensive as shit and not worth it unless you plan to make a living with your shop.
>>
>>1077568
Yeah yeah yeah, the good old days. God damn I miss the time when black and Decker meant decent tools for cheap. Now it's just Walmart garbage.
>>
File: petty07-big[1].jpg (97KB, 800x1218px) Image search: [Google]
petty07-big[1].jpg
97KB, 800x1218px
>>1077573
Ridgid does not make drills. They license their brand to Home Depot, who gets TTI (Ryobi) to make them for them. The only power tools that are 'made' by Ridgid are shop vacs, which are rebranded Emersons (their parent company). Many of their hand tools, like their famous pipe wrenches are still made by them, though.
>>
>>1077488
i think Hitachi is great. i have angle grinder and 18v lithium drill.
>>
>>1077575
>God damn I miss the time when black and Decker meant decent tools for cheap

Black and Decker NEVER made "decent tools for cheap".
They were never ever a value brand when they made decent tools.

By the time they had become a "value brand", they had long since become garbage tools
>>
File: content[1].jpg (515KB, 1280x1924px) Image search: [Google]
content[1].jpg
515KB, 1280x1924px
>>1077595
Man, someone sure set off my bullshit detector. Please note this ad is from the 1930s. Sure, $20 was a lot of money back then but that was still a cheap tool for the age. It was clearly aimed at the 'value market'.
>>
>>1077599
Add in inflation, thats 275$ in 2016 money.

In the mid to late 80s when every USA tool brand cut corners to stay competitive with imports or raised their prices a ton, Black and Decker cut corners and became shitty tools.

Their cheaping out on the tools destroyed the brand so much, 10-15 years later they became a walmart brand.

An advertisement from the 30s doesnt change that.
>>
>>1077601
Right, but it was a cheap tool for its day. You said they never made cheap tools back when they were still good. Cheap is relative. If every other decent drill on the market was the same price or more, yeah, it was a decent tool for cheap. Once they started making consumer grade tools they priced them accordingly. They were very competitive for the prices of the day. Feel free to browse Google Books issues of Popular Mechanics and such. You'll see plenty of ads for several different companies (including B&D) and everything is priced about the same.
>>
>>1077568
Uhh... That's corded.
>>
>>1077617
In the post you quoted, he said 'decent tools for cheap.' cheap is not relative, if a drill is 150$ while all other drills are 70$, it's expensive.
>>
>>1077564
>Not mentioning Makita
>>
>>1077695
Here we go
>>
>>1077564
> mentioning Bosch
> not mentioning makita
Post disregarded and thrown in >>>/trash/
>>
File: question-31842991[1].jpg (78KB, 625x625px) Image search: [Google]
question-31842991[1].jpg
78KB, 625x625px
>>1077672
>cheap is not relative, if a drill is 150$ while all other drills are 70$, it's expensive.
>relative

See, when you only read half of someone's post, you one get half of what they were saying. Since most of the other drills on the market at the time were $20 and above that means this drill was still cheap by the standards of the day. Like I said, check the ads from the era. B&D made tools that were priced competitively for all price points on the market but were still good. They've been doing that since the 30's at least. As time has past tools have gotten cheaper. Sure, if you take inflation into account they were more expensive than now. They were also housed in "husky" cast aluminum bodies and used Jacob's chucks. They also were still made in America instead of by some cuck in China.

>>1077671
I was clearing talking about drills not having plastic bits that fall off. You know, since that it what I quoted in the previous post. Try and keep up.
>>
>>1077804
But I can't carry around an ancient corded drill. I need a battery powered drill for work.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-30-17-02-50.png (4MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-30-17-02-50.png
4MB, 1440x2560px
Why you folks shitting all over black n decker corded drills? This thing is a fucking beast. Like 5 years now nothing but a beating. Never had an issue. And enough torque to break a limpwristed fags wrist.

My drills only need to do two things. Drill holes. And drive screws. I don't need torque settings or "impact modes" just need it to turn and not shit out.

Say what you want. If you find one of these for cheap at a garage sale or something. Grab it. Its not shitty like you think if you want bare bones. Its a DR260 model.

Mine is marked as to of been made in 2012. Idk if the later or earlier models are any worse. Or better. But this thing does its job and doesn't bitch about it.
>>
>>1077841
Typo. I hit the 5 instead of 4.
>>
>>1077617
>Right, but it was a cheap tool for its day. You said they never made cheap tools back when they were still good. Cheap is relative

Ah yes.
Back in the olden days when houses cost $8000 new, your 20$ drill sure was a steal.

If only they still made drills at that price point today, which would be $275.

You are totally correct and I was wrong. Black and Decker made decent tools at a cheap price point back when the average yearly income was $1900.

Those days were nothing like the 80s when Black and Decker became pure garbage tools that didnt hold up.
But my mistake, 80 year old tools are much more relevant to the conversation than the large 1980s shift in manufacturing and pricings for the brand.
>>
>>1077804
>Sure, if you take inflation into account they were more expensive than now.

So why would someone say

>God damn I miss the time when black and Decker meant decent tools for cheap

If you were paying a lot more on average for your tools in the past, why would you balk at paying a similar inflated price today?

$20 was 1% of your yearly income back in those days.
1% of average income today is 500$. So your value tool of that time is equivalent to 500 bucks.

At what price point would you want Black and Decker today to be?
Im really curious.
>>
>>1077836
Again, I was not talking about the fact that it was cordless.

>>1077858
>Back in the olden days when houses cost $8000 new, your 20$ drill sure was a steal.
Right, cause everything stays the same price, relative to inflation. How much was a 'cheap computer' back in 1960? Or a cheap portable phone (yes, they did have them)? Hell, how about a cheap air conditioner? Shit changes. What was cheap back in the day isn't cheap anymore. That doesn't mean it wasn't a good deal at the time.

But hey, keep trying to move the goal posts so you can 'win' your argument.
>>
>>1077861
>But hey, keep trying to move the goal posts so you can 'win' your argument.

I already conceded the point, almost 100 years ago a "value" tool is different that what you consider a "value" tool today.
It was a much different time back then, I didnt realize it would somehow be relevant.

Im sorry I wasnt explicit enough to say, I was talking about the 80s where the modern chinese "value" power tool started getting made.

We are arguing two different things.

How do you bring B&D back its glory days like I asked >>1077860 ?
>>
>>1077860
I'm >>1077804 and that is exactly the kind of point I was trying to make.

>If you were paying a lot more on average for your tools in the past, why would you balk at paying a similar inflated price today?
That wasn't me. I have no idea why he's so ass blasted by the fact that B&D made good tools that were cheap for their day. The fact that you couldn't buy any drill for $2.70, which is $50 in today's money was worth in 1933, seems to be beyond his comprehension.
>>
>>1077870
>How do you bring B&D back its glory days like I asked
The brand is too damaged. They did something very stupid: they split their line of tools into two different quality categories buck gave them the same name. Why do you think they renamed their 'Black And Decker Professional' line to DeWalt? Their garbage tools in the cheap category ruined the brand. They're probably more well known for their blenders and toaster ovens today than making decent tools. Lord knows there are a ton of people on here that can't stop singing the praises of DeWalt though.
>>
>>1077861
If you're not talking about what my post was about, why did you even reply?
>>
>>1077488
>buffer for car
You want a random orbital polisher, not one of those pieces of shit you posted.
>>
>>1077905
>random orbital polisher

pro's and con's of each?
>>
>>1077917
Random orbit is better, the other stuff is cheaper.
>>
>>1077918
any brand you can recommend? how about "TORQ"? i see chemical guys uses it in all of their videos. i dont want to fall for a marketing gimmick.

this one looks better, cheaper and comes with more stuff

https://www.amazon.com/TORQX-Random-Orbital-Polisher-Items/dp/B01BKT63XM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1477874556&sr=8-4&keywords=random+orbit+polisher
>>
>>1077564
Not mentioning Festool either.
>>
File: 1440781887123.jpg (25KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1440781887123.jpg
25KB, 306x306px
>ctrl-f panasonic
>phrase not found
>>
>>1078052
try it now
>>
>>1078248
Lel
>>
>>1077917
polishers spin too fast and make it easy to burn right through paint if you're a newb.

polishers just spin 'round N 'round, which means it basically installs swirls for you.

RO is a lot more gentle and the motion of the bad helps to stop swirls.

The cheapest polish is cheaper than an RO machine. But the average RO costs the same or slightly less than a quality polisher.

I have a Griot's Garage 10813STDCRD that I got for $90 a while ago. Even without the discount it's still cheaper than the DWP849 that you posted.

There's a porter cable device that is very similar. Harbor Freight also makes one. The HF RO polisher is $50 before a 20% off coupon that you can find almost anywhere and it has awesome reviews.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-57-amp-heavy-duty-dual-action-variable-speed-polisher-69924.html
>>
>>1078254
$60 for the HF thing. typos happen

if you're just a random guy in your garage with one or two cars, I would just get the harbor freight tool and be done with it.
>>
>>1077488

For drills, this will probably sound off but I love to use the Ryobi 18V drills. I've had one that never went wrong. My Makita died. My DeWalts are awful (especially the batteries).

As for other tools, I've had a Makita Sawzall and a Makita Skil saw that has been with us for 10+ years.

I think that all power tools in 2016 are equally worthless. You should easily be able to snag power tool deals if you hit the flea market once in a while.
>>
dewalt maybe ok for power tools but i think there levels, drill bits, accessories, etc. are SHIT.

Unimpressed with my new Milwaukee impact/drill set, after only 4 months the charger failed.
>>
File: kyoko_thumbs_up.gif (448KB, 409x226px) Image search: [Google]
kyoko_thumbs_up.gif
448KB, 409x226px
>>1078254

i think i'll go with the TORQ random orbital instead. thanks for the help bruh. i was leaning more towards dewalt because of the brand

i like harbor freight but there are just some things i'd rather not buy from them. i bought a jump starter from them when i was a mechanic for 60$ (because tool truck jump starters are more money) and when i needed to jump a car in the cold winter the jumper did not work for me even at full charge( was doing road side assistance)

lost 60 bucks and had to spend another 200$ for a jumper from the MAC TOOLS guy.
>>
>>1077554
I've seen a dewalt sawzall snap in half once I'm Milwaukee matter race they make some damn fine shit even hoping to get one off their heated sweaters soon
>>
>>1078338
too bad milwaukee discontinued their hole shooter.

1/2 a horse power 1/2'' jacobs chuck and powerful enough to break any mans wrist if he's dumb enough to hold on to it to tight depending on what hes drilling through.

i treasure mine, still works like the day i bought it
>>
>>1078342
Hate to break it to you but that's just about every 1/2" corded drill. I have an ancient milwaukee shovel handle 1/2" drill (late 70s at the earliest) I'm waiting on parts for. THAT thing looks like it'll eat wrists for breakfast.
>>
>>1078338
Calling BS. 3 of us at work heavily use the DeWalt 20v sawzall for cutting stainless and other steel, never had anything but blades break.
>>
In my 20 years of expirence, Makita makes the best drills. Your drill may have a tiny bit more torque but a Makita drill will last longer along with their batteries. Mine still run just fine and I bought the first generation lithium ion. They fell into concrete from 2 and 3 story floors, got left on the back of a truck when it rained, fell in piles of sawdust. They look beat to shit, but still work perfectly along with the original charger and batteries.

DeWalt is ok but they keep advertising that 20 volt Max marketing bullshit. Their shit is 18 volt. Anyone who thinks DeWalt is 20 volt is a fucking sheep. Their drills are good, overhyped, but good. Some of our guys use DeWalt drills and had to buy new batteries every year and new drill every 2-3. I use two DeWalt compound mitersaws. They flex more than I would like, but oh well.

Bosch is cheap and reliable. I still use this 15 year old sander.

Royobi are cute toys.

Rigid are toys for kids who want a color other than Royobi's safety yellow.

Milfuckie has a badass color. They are good though. None of our guys use Milfuckie, but some compines we work with use them and claim that they also have to buy new batteries every year. Their drills seem to last longer than DeWalt.

Been using a Delta and Jet table saw that my dad has been using for 30 years. I also still own and use 2 of Delta's first compound mitersaws.

We had some Hitachi drills, but they suck once they get a tiny bit wet. Their air finish nail guns are nice though. Nicer than Makita's. I have 5 of them. I also use a Hitachi jackhammer. Shit is beast for its light weightm
>>
>>1080031
Another point, Makita uses forged gears, DeWalt and Milfuckie use cintered powdered gears.
Look up AvE on YouTube.
>>
>>1080034

Turbine blades are also made with powder steel, so? Some of the stainless "alloys" (more like meta-materials really) they use with powder steel can't be even be created with poured steel. In isolation powder steel can't be said to be inferior.
>>
>>1080112
Yeah. Just like how my dishes and ceramic inserts are both ceramic. My dishes must be able to cut steel if I stick it in on a lathe, right?
>>
>>1080031
Nobody is immune to the marketing wank. Makita does it with their '12v MAX' tools too.
DeWalt is definitely the worst offender with their 60/120v tools though. I really want to know if any of those tools *actually* run on 60/120v. Doing so would require the tool to run on the current handling capacity of a single cell, because that voltage is made by running the pack in series mode. It would probably mean much less power than an 18v tool.
>>
>>1077592
>who gets TTI (Ryobi) to make them for them
TTI owns Milwaukee tools as well. In essence if you buy a tool at home depot (that isnt a makita) then you bought it from TTI
>>
>>1080128
The thing with 12 volt max tools is that pretty much every brand labels it 12 volt max, not just Makita, so its ok. No one is trying to claim power over another like with the 18 volt line of tools across brands.
>>
>>1080127

Yes, just like that. Just because your dishes can't cut steel says nothing about the suitability of ceramic for cutting steel in isolation.

Glad we agree.
>>
>>1080204
dude you are talking out your ass. you can google the fatigue limits of powdered steels and see that they are inferior to forged steel for high cycle, variable load applications (aka a fucking hand drill).
>>
>>1080204
I was proving >>1080112 wrong. The material for a turbine blade and a gear for a drill need different properties.

He was claiming that since turbine blades use cintered powder, that they must be the best metal period and that cintered powder gears are superior to forged gears.

>>1080211
Gets it.
>>
>>1080452

> implying

You're having a discussion with a straw man, not me. All I'm saying is that in isolation it being PM says nothing.

There are unique corners to cut and unique strengths to make use of for both wrought and PM. It's not the best possible wrought machined vs. the best PM (which would also be machined to final shape). It's the shittiest they can get away with for whatever kind of time horizon they are optimizing their profits for.

For turbine blades PM does that optimization best (and likely soon ball bearings and HSS cutting tools, where PM seems all out superior). For gears we'll see.

In Dewalt's case, if it doesn't end up being a significant failure mode for bringing the tool beyond repair then the gear being PM will not have mattered.
>>
>>1080162
Depends where you are in the world. Some places such as here in the UK it's considered false advertisement so it's all labeled with its accurate voltage. 10.8/14.4/18/36/54
>>
>>1080597
True, I forgot to mention that.

What about Kobalt's 24 volt max line?
>>
>>1078052
an electrician at my shop wouldn't shut up about how great his panasonic drill was, so I challenged him to a duel with my dewalt. I stuck one half of a drill bit into my dewalt and the other half into his panasonic, tightened the chucks and we pulled the triggers.

>torque from dewalt nearly knocked sparkie over
>he restabilizes and pulls the trigger again but its too late
>dewalt is raping his tool and nothing is going to stop it
>its spinning the panasonic chuck the wrong way
>panasonic starts making all kinds of scary noises
>smoke is pouring from the back of his drill
>he's screaming at me to stop
>im in tears im laughing so hard
>decided to finally stop because im getting nervous his drill might light on fire
>undue the chuck and check drills
>pull my dewalt trigger
>works just like it did before
>pull the panasonic trigger
>drill is fucked
>won't even turn and is making a banshee screaming noise.

He's still sore at me for that.
>>
>>1080823
kek
>>
>>1080740
I've not seen it first hand. We don't have it here but I've seen 22v tools from hilti. The next step up with 18650 cells would be either 25v(doubtful) or logical 28v so you may find the 24v advertised is 22v plus the extra .7 and a bit you get over the additional. 22.2v roughly.
>>
>>1080823
Holy shit, I love this
>Even though it's a blatant lie
>>
File: IMG_20160518_130258273.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160518_130258273.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Old AF are nice.

Rigid has the best replacement battery plan for cordless.
>>
>>1081822
Never had to replace any of Makita LXT batteries from 2007. Still using them to this day.

They survived 2 story drops, left outside in the rain, and covered with sawdust.
>>
>>1081822
>Rigid
You know these mofos couldn't graduate high school when they can't even spell the name of a manufacturer they see on a daily basis. It's not even like its Husqvarna or some shit. 6 letters and they fuck it up. They probably just call their cars Chevy and Caddy because they can't spell the full name. Better stick to your Dodge and Ford. If you get a Toyota or a Nissan you'll hit that 6 letter limit and seem like a fool when you type that out to other people.
>>
File: wasp.jpg (108KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
wasp.jpg
108KB, 1280x720px
>>1081832
I can't believe you took the time to write that over a missing 'd'.
>>
>>1081832
Fuck off, I love my toyta.
>>
>>1081832
Lmao.

>Being this mad about a retard.

But I support this.
>>
>>1081832
Fuck Rigid. Same internals as Ryobi.
>>
>>1081956
Same reason I don't buy DeWalt.
Same internals as Black and Decker
>>
>>1081956
>Rigid
oh shit mofos couldn't graduate high school detected
>>
>>1081959
Uhh... It's all Chinese motors. What are you expecting?
>>
>>1081832
Does your butt hurt?
>>
>>1081973
What do you mean?
>>
>>1081832
and there my friends is a textbook case of autism
>>
File: Imageresizer.jpg (204KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Imageresizer.jpg
204KB, 1000x1000px
>>1077488

I've had this drill for several years now. It has never let me down, and it's taken a lot of abuse.
>>
>>1082461
I like the brushless line, but the new batteries they sell with them are shit. 2 or 3 ah? Mine are all 4 or 5.
>>
>>1082526
They are considerably smaller. I got mine in a package deal with the impact driver and 4 batteries, so it's not so much of an inconvenience.
>>
>>1077488
Hitatchi. If theyre hard drives are any indication of longevity, their power tool motors are beasts.
>>
>>1082546
Hitachi doesnt make its own hard drives anymore, its name in storage was bought by HGST Western Digital.

Their hard drives were so bad and their sales plummeted so much that Hitachi wanted to get out of the hard drive business.
>>
>>1077601
Black and Decker are famous in financial circles for destroying their brand. DeWalt are famous for building theirs by listening to the pros and ignoring anyone who isn't, resulting in pros and hobbyists buying their often excellent gear.
>>
>>1082526

I honestly dont mind having a few smaller batteries.

Granted i have a few 4 AH and one 5.

But most of the time i grab my 2AH for the lighter weight.
>>
>>1082720
DeWalt has been owned by Black and Decker since 1960. Long before B&D went to shit. Prior to the rebranding of the B&D Professional line to DeWalt, the DeWalt name was only used on radial arm saws and a few rebranded shop tools (table saws, jointers, etc). There was never a hand drill, circular saw, etc, branded as DeWalt before 1992. The original division of B&D that made radial arm saws was spun out as its own company in 1989. They are still around and are known as the Original Saw Company. DeWalt as any kind of independently operating division ceased then and there. They are now only a brand name that B&D sells tools under. So, I don't know where you are getting this 'only listened to professionals' stuff from. The people making the B&D garbage tier tools are the same ones making DeWalt.
>>
What do you guys think of Rockwell? I saw their 20v drill and driver. They just came to Canada
>>
>>1082747
This. No one seems to understand.

I like Makita for not fucking around with flashy advertising like the other brands.
>>
>>1082752
I dunno why anyone would go with anything other than Milwaukee/Makita/etc if for no other reason than the fact that their 18v lineups are so well established and have such a huge tool catalog.

Those new Rockwell drills aren't even cheap. Why.jpg
>>
I know its budget as fuck ... but the stuff at Aldi and Lidl is pretty good for the money.

Picked up a table saw. 100 bones. Comes with a ribing knife, big cover, legs, table extensions.

Same stuff from machine mart is 250+, and for the amount I use em, its fine.
>>
File: 13923-C[1].jpg (38KB, 650x430px) Image search: [Google]
13923-C[1].jpg
38KB, 650x430px
>>1082752
Rockwell is basically Worx tools. AKA the Positec Tool Corporation. They are Chinese and have been since they licensed the Rockwell name in 2005. They are Ryobi tier tools. Better than Harbor Freight, but not professional quality.

Rockwell Manufacturing Co. used to be a big name in power tools and shop tools back in the day. The sold shop tools under their own name and the Delta name. They also sold power tools using their own name and the Porter-Cable name. They sold their tools division off back in 1981, although quality had started to slip several years before that when they renamed themselves Rockwell International. The also changed their logo to some ugly Atari looking knock off when they renamed themselves.

TL;DR
If it doesn't have picture related stamped on it somewhere, walk away.
>>
>>1077488
We were using a harbor freight sawsall for a few weeks until we bought a DeWalt one. May never buy another brand for a sawsall ever again. Its fucking great.
>>
>>1082999
>harbor freight sawsall
>DeWalt sawsall
>another brand for a sawsall

Only Milwaukee makes the Sawsall, man. It's like saying "After I bought that Ford Silverado I will never drive another Silverado.
>>
>>1083011
>Ford Silverado

>>1082999

But for real though. That's like sticking to only one beer or one soda or one food just because it was good. Its a fucking stupid mentality.
>>
>>1077594
Yeah hitachi 18v are good, durable and have balls. I'm also digging Bosch at the moment.

Tell ya fucken what though, a while back I was buying royobi as I thought they would of lasted my limited use. Angle grinder fucked out, I shrugged it off as a once off and then a mitre saw I've used like fucking once shit itself as well. Out of warranty period so yeah. I literally threw out the other shit and replaced with above. Buy shit once people
>>
>>1077550
I've got plenty of Makita stuff that's seen daily use for years, without the rubber falling off...
>>
>>1083267
>Found a DeWalt too that works better than any tool I've had
>But now I'll go with other brands because 4chan gave me some BS about beer and food.
Do you not order something you like when you go out to eat? Or have a preferred brand of beer? Fo real?
Bro, the DeWalt sawzall is actually more powerful and more reliable than the real Sawzall.
>>
>>1082747
>The people making the B&D garbage tier tools are the same ones making DeWalt.

You are confusing the maker with the products. Product differentiation is a thing. The classic hand tool company example is Danaher, which most end users never hear of, who own many brands.

Brand NAMES come and go, and owners position their offerings under a brand name to differentiate them. That does not make the products identical, nor does it make them inherently different. Evaluate by model if in doubt.
>>
>>1083367
Try out different things then take your pick after.
>>
File: IMG_2196.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2196.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I'm currently in the market for a planer and I was looking for a bench top planer that would be good for heavy use. I have read some models have blades you can sharpen rather than need to replace as often. I believe I'd need a model with adjustable blades for that. I was looking at the dewalt dw734 but it looks like between the dw733 and dw734 they moved to disposable blades.

What planers would be best for me? Thanks.
>>
File: WW nuprin.jpg (19KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
WW nuprin.jpg
19KB, 500x281px
I've tried the others but find I prefer Nuprin.
It's Little. Yellow. Different.
>>
>>1077488
Most of the good tools i have are Bosch, from my father, they last a long, for exemple i have a hammer drill, a radial saw and a jigsaw that i've seen forever in my dad's shed and that i still use today, all of them Bosch. Also a really good Makita hand drill. The rest of what i have are mostly cheap Black & Decker that does their job, but meh.
>>
>>1085370
We have the 734 at work. We found it bogs down pretty significantly when running something 6-12 inches wide through it especially if 2x material. Blades chip a bit too soon. Exhaust will jam up if you run it with the dust extractor hose adapter on but not hooked up to a system. You should want an out feed table and a push stick if you're running 8ft or longer material. Definitely will want to clamp it down or secure it in place as it'll vibrate all over the place. We had to bypass to the breaker on the motor because after it popped too many times it gets stupid sensitive and trips all the time. It's not bad just seems underpowered but prolly more than adequate for a weekend warrior. Definitely will want a mask and hearing protection it's a screecher. The blades are double sided so there's that.

I've run miles of 2x walnut and maple through the thing and it's still alive

Good luck chip making
>>
>>1085370
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9osTTcVz5c0
>>
My Makita 10.8 heats a lot while my Bosch doesn't

Makita a shit
>>
>>1085502

They jew you on battery packs though, holy shit.
>>
>>1085862
Looks like you got a faulty one. Never had a Makita heat up prematurely.
>>
>>1085370
Step up to the 735, literally the best planer in it's class. option to upgrade to byrd shelical cutter head down the line or up front for added $$$.

Minimal sniping, especially compared to any that are built similar to the 734

I'm still using the first set of blades that came with it, there's another set afterwards. I've done a lot of planing of very hard australian woods and it's held up really well. Hopefully the USA 110v version is roughly the same.
>>
>>1077841
Heh, my mom's ex-husband had the same drill. I used to build ramps and shit with my friends as a kid and that was our go-to drill. All grown up now and I've been eyeing the garage sales around town like a hawk to find one
>>
>>1083267
Hey yo man I don't know I'm just some dumb bum who got a construction job last year. All I know is that it taught me a lesson about the quality of tools.
>>
>>1086370
Also, if sawsall isn't the correct nomenclature, I also call it "that thing you could stick a dildo on and fuck somebody real good"
>>
>>1086370
>>1086371
Reciprocating saw.
>>
>>1086381
You don't get laughed at saying, "Hey, hand me the reciprocating saw"? I don't think there's anything wrong with using simplified terms on the job site.
>>
>>1086614
Why would you?
>>
>>1086633
>I've never worked on a construction site: the post
>>
>>1086676
I havent
Is the cliche of "People who work in construction are loud highschool dropouts" true?

Gotta use white trash ebonics on the job?
>>
>>1086682
I have no idea of the education level of the guys I work with. We do custom cabinets, trim, and any fancy thing with wood that isn't framing.

We are also all Honduran.
>>
>>1086682
For most, it is.
Then you have companies like mine that install the special equipment, like rotating rack ovens, display systems, and monitored safes.

Those guys are well past your cliché of choice, and are making more than you at your desk job.
>>
File: 31MECBFpjkL[1].jpg (11KB, 500x203px) Image search: [Google]
31MECBFpjkL[1].jpg
11KB, 500x203px
>>1086614
I worked construction to put myself through college. We had a site foreman that was like you. That is to say, didn't know what any of the real names of the tools were. Skilsaw, Sawzall, and "my Hitachi" were basically all he could manage most days. Was real fun when he asked me to get into his 'Jobox' (made by Knaack) and get his Skilsaw out. Guess what the only Skil brand saw was in the fucker? Picture related. Last I checked Bosch didn't make "Skilsaws" but call it a circular saw, which was printed on the side of it so he looked at it daily, and he wouldn't have any idea what you were talking about. He's a nice guy though.

Now I work at a managed service provider doing tech support for the company he works at. They use some accounting software called Sage 50 that he has to dick with for the project level stuff. Needless to say, he is kinda lost on it and calls us about 3 times a month for assistance at $100 an hour (not that I make that of course). He still calls it "Peachtrees" (Peachtree Accounting). It was rebranded 4 years ago to Sage 50 and he stares at that for a couple of hours every day yet it's still "Peachtrees" to him.

So I sit in the AC, browsing 4chan and playing video games, while I guide "Lennie" through how to apply program updates to Sage 50 for the 8th time and cash a check at at the end of the week. Yeah, he makes more than me, but he also has trouble going from a sitting to a standing position because his knees and back are shot. Meh.
>>
>>1086682
Hey bub, I graduated. Bottom of my class, but graduated nonetheless.
>>
Tangentally related question:

If I want to impress my programmer buddies with entry-level handiwork, all I'd need to start is a cordless drill, a cordless circular saw, a couple sawhorses, and a shitton of clamps, right? Maybe something to make sanding easier?
>>
>>1087150

The clamps meme is more for actual wood workers who want large pretty glue joints.

For handiwork just use quick clamps to hold it down before you screw/nail it down.
>>
>>1087150
Get a combi-drill if you don't want to buy a drill for drilling holes and a drill for driving screws.

To remove a lot of material, use a rasp, then use sand paper. Keep strokes even and shine a light at different angles so you can see any bumps or pits.

Practice techniques on scraps of wood.
Show off after you have finished a few projects so your stuff won't have that beginner look to them.
>>
>>1081822
I have a black and decker that looks like that
It works but Im nervous Im supose to do something like take it apart and regrease it or some weird stuff before I actually use it.

What do you do before you use these things for the first time in decades?
>>
>>1082786
b-but muh 20V
>>
>>1087425
Check the brushes. Still plenty of life? Leave 'em. Worn down to nubs? Replace them. Take them into a local tool or electric motor servicing place and ask for replacements. They are standard sizes and interchangeable. Try to find a place that won't gouge you on price (most probably will). If you can identify the exact replacement you need you can generally get them online for cheap. We're talking $12 for a pack of 10 cheap. Amazon has them.

Check the bearings. Bearings are generally shot after a few decades because their grease dries out. If they are sealed bearings just replace them, as you can't open them. They are cheap and replacements are generally easy to find. If it's got at least one side open you can clean out the old grease and repack it. There are plenty of guides online on how to do this properly. Just make sure the bearing itself is worth the effort. Make sure it spins freely and doesn't feel rough or grindy when you spin it. Again, they are cheap, so don't waste 2 hours in labor trying to save something that cost $7 to buy new. They are standard sizes and are interchangeable. Amazon has them but if need to go to a dedicated seller because the size is uncommon cheap out Accurate Bearing Company (ABC). Their customer service is good, their prices are fair and they have everything. If you give them the make and model of the tool they might even know what you need. They are the go-to place for people restoring old tools and they have a lot of experience with it.

Grease. Replace it. Grease is super cheap. A tube of automotive wheel bearing grease is like $4 for the cheap stuff and $9 for the 'high end' stuff. A tube generally has enough in it to regrease a dozen tools or more. Clean off as much of the old grease with a shop cloth as you can and then clean the parts with a degreaser. Then clean it out super well according to the degreaser instructions. Any leftover degreaser can fuck up the new grease.

Do this and it will last another 30 years.
>>
>>1077488
My grandfather used Snap On. My father used Snap On. And I use Snap On. I have never had a Snap On tool break, ever. They cost more, but I've never had reason to regret buying a Snap On, which is more than I can say for other brands.

I also swear by Singer. Fifty years ago, my parents bought two pairs of Singer scissors when they got married. Fifty years of haircuts, newspaper clippings, and craft projects later, they've been sharpened a few times and one pair needed the screw tightened once, but they're just as good today as the day they were purchased. They cost ten times what a cheap pair of scissors would have cost, but they outlived my parents and will probably outlive me.
>>
File: clara-alonso-model.jpg (2MB, 2880x1800px) Image search: [Google]
clara-alonso-model.jpg
2MB, 2880x1800px
>>1087477
>I have never had a Snap On tool break, ever.
you ever use them for anything besides looking at or nice new shiny cars maint work?

Go try a oldie rebuild. Those thin wrenches will start SNAPping ON every rusted bolt you come across. Hence their brandname.

Older (pre-Taiwan/China,etc) Craftsman4lyfe

>>1087426
Ryobi Lithium Green - the big silver ones. They use Samsung/LG's proprietary Li-iron mix that they use in their pre-explodie cellphone batteries. Fuck everything else.
>mfw looking upon you Dewalt/Makita/Milwalke-elitists when my Ryobi Impact & chuck drill with the big silver batt can screw up over 300linear feet of fence, 5 screw per board, and all 1/8" predrilled and still be 2/4 bars
>>
>>1087477
Singer paid another company to make the scissors for them. IN fact, I wouldn't trust a thing with the Singer name applied to it that was made in the last 40 years. Were they imported (probably Germany) or USA made? I have a few sets. They are nice. Wiss were better. Nothing beats paying a dollar for a pair of pre-sellout Wiss at a garage/estate sale. Singer products went to shit in the 70's though.
>>
>>1087488
One of our guys had to buy 4 separate Ryobi drill kits in a span of 1-2 years cause they kept fucking on him.
We gave him a Makita set and 4 years later, he's still using the same drills, battery, and charger.

That and any new Ryobi tool we bought went to shit within a few months. The only good Ryobi tool we had was a portable belt sander from back when Ryobi made their stuff in dark blue plastic. Fucker laster for 13 years till all the parts were worn to shit and we ended up using them to repair a Bosch portable belt sander.
>>
>>1087458
Thanks anon, Ill screencap this.
Its a black and decker, industrial, wildcat if that means anything to you.
>>
/diy/ be very careful who you take counsel from
We have people like this >>1087488 lurking around here.
>>
File: Untitled2.jpg (51KB, 1002x148px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.jpg
51KB, 1002x148px
>>1087759
>black and decker, industrial, wildcat
The "Industrial" name was introduced in 1986. They renamed their "Industrial" and "Professional" lines DeWalt in 1994. Overall, not a great era for B&D tools. They had ditched the Nut logo the year before ('85) and this was about the time the wheels were starting to come off quality-wise. Many of the tools made post '85 were poor. They had started skimping out in the 70s but most things were still solid up to the early 80's. I hear the grinders still hold up, though. They are one of the few tools that did. So, your grinder is 23-30 years old.
>>
>>1087794
Cool, thanks for the info. Ill screenshot this and check what the logo looks like.

Since you seem to know alot of this stuff, the gaurd and hande are not currently on it, I dont know if I have them or not. The handle sould be easy to fabricate something.. but can I buy replacement guards, like are they standardized?
>>
>>1088061
I'm not this guy >>1087794

I would think they are standardized.
But get a thread gauge and check the threads where the handle screws in to.
>>
Why do manufactures continue to sell keyless chucks with plastic coatings?

That shits torn up the second you drill in a tight spot. Ridiculous.
>>
File: image.png (524KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
524KB, 750x1334px
What brand makes the best drill bits?
Bosch for mortal?
>>
File: Festool-Logo.jpg (217KB, 7363x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Festool-Logo.jpg
217KB, 7363x1050px
For most woodworking tools, Festool is the best shit money can buy. Their cordless drills and routers are not so great though.

I have a Metabo cordless drill at home which has served me great, and an 18v Bosch* at work which is strong, reliable and feels amazing in the hand.

*= If you buy a Bosch, buy the blue ones. The green line is absolute garbage
>>
File: photo.jpg.png (5KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg.png
5KB, 250x250px
Not cheap, very well built easily on-par if not better than many of the top brands here i.e Festool
>>
>>1089088
>feels amazing in the hand
You mean ergonomic?
>>
>>1078257
Love most of my ryobi one plus.
>>
>>1077594
Yeah Hitachi is primo for the price
>>
File: IMG_2868.png (573KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2868.png
573KB, 750x1334px
>>1082536
If you ever want a bigger battery flag down your local Mac guy. The Mac brand power tools are dewalts with better internals but they have nicer batteries too.
>>
>>1089088
They are overpriced compared to how little more quality they are.
>>
>>1077601
Not quite. Ads inflation and that's $379.44 in 2016 dollars. But otherwise you're right, that's a premium price.
>>
>>1090287
You aren't paying a premium if every other thing in the category is the same price or more. A premium means you are paying more than the average. If the average price for a drill in 1935 was $25 then it's not a premium, it is cheap. Just because tools have gotten cheaper does not change the fact that, in 1935, it was a good deal.

The NES launched in the US in 1985 at $199 for the base model. That was a good price for a new, top of the line system in 1985. That is almost $450, adjusted for inflation. That is $150 more than the WiiU and $50 more than the Playstation 4 at launch. Does that mean it was less of a deal in 1985? No. Because that would be fucking stupid.
>>
>>1077488
i want dewalt shills to get cancer and die
Thread posts: 153
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.