[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was labeling on the breakers in my panel today. I narrowed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: singlepolebreaker[1].png (57KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
singlepolebreaker[1].png
57KB, 300x300px
I was labeling on the breakers in my panel today. I narrowed the last 2 down and found out that they are being double fed and the power doesn't go off to any of the lights until they're both off. The lights that are in this pair are on opposite sides of the house so someone fucked up somewhere. Is this dangerous in any way or just a pain in the ass if you want to kill power to work on it?
>>
>>1077438
Are they on the same phase? Just remove one feed, voila.
>>
>>1077441
....Whats a phase?
>>
>>1077441
What are you asking here?
The breakers are in parallel so it would be a direct short between phases? Or a240v light bulb? Genuinely curious I'm not American I don't know the intricacies of split phase
>>
>>1077438
Usually those are ganged to each other and used to feed a sub-panel or 240v doodads like ovens, dryers, welders, etc. You can run a 120 branch off of a 240 feed, but it's not usual. I do that for my welding outlet that also feeds a GFCI outlet that gets used for lawn tools and holiday lights.

Having lamps run till both are off worries me.

Hmm... What leg are these on? If they are both on the same leg then someone got the bright idea to double up breakers and they are both trying to feed the same circuit (possibly a load-center somewhere else in the house).
That's a big no-no.
>>
Instead of a generic breaker, show a photo (or at least a drawing) of your panel with the location of the breakers in question.
The location in the box is important in answering the question.
>>
>>1077441
>Are they on the same phase?
>>1077442
>....Whats a phase?
If they were on different phases, they couldn't be on at the same time.
One or both breakers would trip.

>>1077441
>Just remove one feed, voila.
/thread
>>
File: Center-Tapped-Transformer.jpg (28KB, 472x274px) Image search: [Google]
Center-Tapped-Transformer.jpg
28KB, 472x274px
>>1077451
>I'm not American I don't know the intricacies of split phase

Nothing intricate about it. It's just a step-down center-tapped transformer.
Single phase power comes to the transformer where it is split to two opposing phases.
Vp is distribution line power (KV)
Va is used to supply a portion of the household needs for electrical appliances, lights, sockets. etc. (120V)
Vb is used for the remaining portion of the household appliances, lights, sockets, etc. (120V)
(attempts are made to 'somewhat' balance the loads on each side)
Vtotal is used for larger machines and appliances that require higher voltage and current like water heaters, HVAC units, clothes dryers, ranges, etc. (240V)
>>
File: Center-Tapped-Transformer.jpg (22KB, 472x274px) Image search: [Google]
Center-Tapped-Transformer.jpg
22KB, 472x274px
>>1077646
The drawing was off the web.
I didn't notice until after posting a missing ground.
In our distribution lines, one wire is at earth potential.
Vp is several thousand volts on one wire and earthed on the other.
Great lengths are used to keep the earthed side actually at 'earth'

pic related adjusted to show correctly
>>
>>1077438

it depends. it shouldn't be there.

you need to know the rating of the power lines and equipment attached to it. it might definitely be a fire hazard.

if they're both half the rating they're supposed to be, then it *should* be fine, but the probability of fatal failure quadrouples.

what you can do for now, is to keep one shut off permanently until you get it fixed.
>>
>>1077640
The breakers are on #13 and #21
>>
>>1077646
>>1077649
yeah i'm not fucking retarded, i meant explain to me how there could be two breakers on different phases feeding the same light
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhgB9j0b3MU
>>
File: 2016-10-30 16.27.07.jpg (43KB, 472x274px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-30 16.27.07.jpg
43KB, 472x274px
>>1077877
Oh okay I thought you might be. Let me give you one last graph showing the problem better.
>>
>>1077438
>the power doesn't go off to any of the lights until they're both off
turn one off and tape over it so it won't be turned on accidentally
ALT:
take the cover off
move the wire from one breaker to join the other
(two wires on one breaker)
label the other breaker UNUSED
>>
>>1077898
>double tapping a breaker

Ayy
>>
File: FB_IMG_1478020674612.jpg (43KB, 720x724px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1478020674612.jpg
43KB, 720x724px
Buen aparato
>>
>>1078468

Whats the problem?
>>
>>1077891
doesn't explain shit
>>
>>1078487
I think it explains the whole problem quite nicely.
>>
>>1078595
no it doesn't
>>
>>1077635

in civilized parts of the world your circuit is against code and would likely void your home insurance. jackass.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.