[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any train guys here? Dug out this rail a couple years ago on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

Any train guys here?
Dug out this rail a couple years ago on my uncles ranch, it's about 49 n half inches long, just wanted to know if the writing means anything before I cut it into an anvil on my schools million dollar bandsaw
>>
>>1077348
I think it's a Sperry defect mark, I.e. an internal abnormality in the rail that could break when a train runs over it.
I ,
>>
File: Sperry_img2.png (2MB, 2479x2031px) Image search: [Google]
Sperry_img2.png
2MB, 2479x2031px
>>1077412
I could be wrong but the only times I've saw rail with marker or paint writing on the web, is from the Sperry people.
I would also see if you have access to a rail or concrete saw and then get some appropriate blades to cut it with. Allison diamond blades are what we use.

Pic related is a cross section cut showing an internal defect that's not visible from the outside.
>>
File: RailFlawDefect-06.jpg (35KB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
RailFlawDefect-06.jpg
35KB, 320x213px
>>1077415
And this is what the markings typically look like.
>>
>>1077348
Hers is the blades. Could also work on a chop saw.
http://www.allisonabrasives.com/railroadrailcutoffwheels.html
>>
>>1077348
Dude. If you have a million dollar band saw, I promise it can cut it. You just have to set the speed right so it doesn't eat up the blade. Set the blade speed somewhat high for low grade steel, and keep the feed rate low.
>>
>>1077426
From my experience (with no professional training) the harder the metal the slower you want you your blade speed. Then set your feed to the fastest you can without eating up the blade.

Only problem is you don't know how fast that is until you've eaten a fee blades :|

Also you need to know what the blade is made to cut.
>>
Cut it with a torch then grind the edge smooth
>>
>>1077445
This, or an abrasive cutting disk to cut and grind in one shot.
>>
>>1077445
>>1077448
Harbor Freight chop-saw
>>
try hacksaw
>>
>>1077445
Ruin temper and make it worthless as an anvil.
>>
>>1077348
Handsaw would definitely work.
>>1077453
Probably would work
>>1077985
Definitely the best option/thread
>>
>>1077348
Have fun op, here's mine.
>>
What kind of an asshole doesn't use a torch for this?

Retards!
>>
>>1078231
Fuck.

How do you make this? Whats the proper procedure? Which cuts first?
>>
>>1079129

Blunt horn
not even a pritchel hole

you need to find someone better to take anvil instructions from
>>
>>1079160
Like (you)?

Pass on some of that 'superior' knowledge kiddo.
Not a jewlers anvil, so why would I want a pointed horn?

>>1079129
I did it all with a bandsaw/plasma cutter/Mill/Angle grinder.
Good for what I do,which is bang out knives from a propane forge.
>>
>>1079319

At all of 20lbs and without a pritchel or hardy, ya it's pretty much a jewelers anvil or a decoration. It's certainly not a farriers or blacksmith's anvil.

How much does that little toy weigh?
>>
>>1079346
Eh, maybe 12lbs, more or less idk never weighed it.
And to prove that you're talking out your ass, here's two things that were made on the toy anvil.

I showed you mine,now show me yours big boy.
>>
>>1079470
Made 16 or so of these little guys as gifts last Christmas. Wish I had took more pictures of things before selling/gifting them away.
>>
>>1079472
This sob is my pig chopper, really need to get around to replacing the handle.
Was once a leafspring for a 62 ford box truck.
>>
>>1079470
>>1079472
>>1079474

And you gift people knives made from mild steel. Nothing expresses 'I care' like a cutting tool that can't hold an edge.

Stick to putting handles on cleavers you may or may not have purchased online.
>>
>>1079120
Somebody that knows how to make thermite.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zmA59hQnoOU
>>
>>1079503
Also, ignore the fact that this is a 9/11 conspiracy video. Mostly because I want OP to cut it with thermite.
>>
>>1079497
4(You)
>>
>>1079346

Also, still waiting to see what you have made. Maybe you'll post before the thread dies.
>>
>>1078166
Only on one end. Rail anvils have a tiny working area near the ends, rest of it is just mass to stop it from moving.
>>
>>1079523
No way. I put my real name on my stuff. Not posting that here for you to troll me irl.

Regardless, your "anvil" and your butter knives are underwhelming imho. I wouldn't put my name on garbage.
>>
>>1079534
Doesn't sound like you put your name ok anything.
>>
File: 1254497215536.jpg (9KB, 254x321px) Image search: [Google]
1254497215536.jpg
9KB, 254x321px
>>1079534
>>
>>1079472
>>1079497
>>1079534
those knives are rad op. fuck this asshole
>>
>>1079555
I don't see why an anvil absolutely has to weigh a certain amount anyway, especially if it's screwed into the table.
>>
I knew I was being trolled, but I was kinda holding out hope that he actually knew something and I could learn from it. diy is that kind of board. It rarely happens.
>>
>>1079542
>>1079551
believe what you want.

>>1079555

Those knives are made from a low carbon steel, like butter knives. They can not be hardened so they CAN NOT hold an edge, like a butter knife.

People should know the difference between a real knife and a decoratively polished turd.

>>1079578
Because it needs to resist your hammer blows. The more it moves the more energy it's absorbing, the less the work piece deforms under your hammer. the less progress you can make per heat.

Any blacksmith will tell you: A heavy anvil translates into more work getting done in a given time frame.

>>1078231
Where are the burn marks in the table? Blacksmithing throws hot sparks. Further proof that toy anvil is a decoration.
>>
>>1079770
Old table was a stump. You wanna talk about anything man? You seem mad about something. Trouble at school/with your parents? Favorite cartoon not making new episodes fast enough? Run out of chicken tenders?

It's okay, you might think my blacksmithing is shity but I'll be here for you. You can't make me hate you.
>>
>>1079578
People focus on the hammer, but remember Newton. Equal and opposite reaction. The anvil is doing fully half of the job. The more your anvil weighs, the less it vibrates, the more energy is rebounded up into the work piece, the less energy you personally have to do to get a given job done.

A rail track anvil will work. It may work it fine. A big rock can work in a pinch. But it's not optimal and you will pay the price in fatigue and speed of work.
>>
>>1078231
Nice flat surface there.

10/10 would bang.... with a hammer!
>>
>>1079534
You could put some tape over your name and take picture anon, in fact you could tape a time and date stamp on there and shut us all up, but instead you are making up excuses because you have nothing to show, I'm not mad at ya dog just disgusted and sad at how pathetic you come across.
>>
>>1079813

Let's say you're right and I have nothing to show. That doesn't mean my criticisms are unfounded.

You just want to draw attention away from legitimate criticism.
>>
>>1079818
Show us what ya got bitchboi.
>>
>>1079818
Oh so now you're back peddling. You ain't got shit, you don't know shit. You a bitch.
>>
>>1079829
>>1079831

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/8908-horseshoe-steel/

http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/Selecting-an-Anvil.php

I'm not back peddling shit. I never said I would post anything! I'm saying my criticisms are valid regardless.

I'm also saying you won't those specific criticisms, which apparently you won't.

You want to make butter knives on a toy anvil that's fine, but as soon as you post that shit on the internet people might call you on it.
>>
>>1080043
You are a sad bastard mate
>>
>>1080060
>I'm also saying you won't those specific criticisms, which apparently you won't.
>>
>>1080060

Can't respond to detailed criticism? Just call the guy names! No one is smart enough to notice, right?
>>
>>1079770
>The more it moves the more energy it's absorbing
That's why you screw it into your heavy workbench
>>
>>1080190
If it's as simple as that, why don't blacksmiths do it that way? You think you've uncovered some game changing secret no one ever thought of?

No. You haven't.

I know why you're wrong, but I'm not saying. Go educate yourself on the topic. You've got google.
>>
>>1080190
No. If you are relying on the bench to secure it, then the vibrations (and thus energy) of the hammer impact are being absorbed by the bench. You want them to be rebounded back up into the work piece. The only way to do that is with sheer mass.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.