[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Heli-van

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 17

Hello guys, i'm about to turn a minibus into a "helicopter" for a projekt. It's supposed to transport about 40 people, 7 at a time about 5 km. I've got the sound fixed, but i need ideas on spotlight and atmosphere in general (apart from the sound), and was hoping you guys might have some.
>>
GIVE ME IDEAS, SOLUTIONS, AND INSPIRATION!!!!
>>
Stop fucking yelling you whiny attention whore. You made a fucking shitty thread now deal with it bitch
>>
>>1076282
It's stupid idea, you know nothing about helicopters. It's not jusy "I'll put engine here and it'll go vroom" it's massive chunk of engineering and you can't just build heli...
That van will tear apart because CARS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO FLY!
>>
>>1076282
OP here, maybe i didn't make myself clear. It's my first post on this board and the van is not supposed to fly. It's just supposed to make them feel like they are being transported from A to B in a helicopter. So fuck you, thought maybe one or two of you guys knew more about this than i did. Thanks for the replies though :)
>>
>>1076289
Well maybe you should have stated that in the OP, idiot.

i guess you'll need massive amounts of vibration and noise, but you'll also need some sense of upwards acceleration.
maybe hydraulics, like a low rider?

its still a stupid idea, but somewhat more achievable.
>>
>>1076296
Hence the ".
Hydraulics would be very cool. I'll def. see if i can make that happen. i guess smaller vibrations would be hard to make, but maybe if i find a bumpy road or something to make up for it. Thanks.

Also, i was thinking about making a spotlight to enchance the experience before they enter the vehicle.
>>
>>1076298
You posted a photo of a helicopter in flight, you think quotations were supposed to clear up your idea? Good luck finding help with your awful thread, Opie.
>>
>>1076289
OP, I understood you from the beginning, but I couldn't think of anything helpful. Ignore the retards that thought you literally wanted to turn a van into a fully functional helicopter.
>>
>>1076286
>>1076286
>>1076296
>>1076299
Like the anon above me I indeed did understand what OP meant. Reading comprehension can be hard, and the fine nuances of language are often lost to the simple minded.

As helicopters turn their tail up when they flow forward one could try to simulate that. If the van isn't decided on yet then there would be the option of using a Citroën, as they might have adjustable shock absorbers. How hard it will be to adjust those is another question though, it might not be cost-effective, measured either in time or money.
Maybe cover the windows, some with screens and the rest with some unspecified helicopterly shit.
If safety isn't your primary objective then you could consider a ordinary van instead of a minibus, it might be easier to helicopterize, put some benches on the sides and add five-point seat belts. Helmets and shit to the passengers and a few screens that have a landing to liftoff video. Maybe simulate it with a console or PC-game of some sort and have somebody on the front seat to time the "liftoff" and "landing".
>>
File: IMG_0064.jpg (113KB, 750x509px)
IMG_0064.jpg
113KB, 750x509px
Strip the interior down to barebones, and position some seats in the middle of the floor facing away from each other. If you're feeling really motivated, you could build these seats out of cordura and plumbing supplies

If it is a minivan, drive it with the doors open
>>
>>1076304
>>1076325

Love the ideas guys! I'm writing all this down, and looking for stuff i might need.
Thanks for the input.
>>
Of course, huge sharp blades spinning very fast on top of the van. Make sure that if they don't duck, they die.
>>
Give everyone headsets with mics to talk to one another, have a red interior light, if you can replace the seats with lightweight fold down seats, etc.
>>
Goto local tire shop and get a box of wheel balance weights.
Overweight the wheels to throw them out of balance.
You'll get hellacious vibrations.
>>
File: image (1).jpg (296KB, 900x598px) Image search: [Google]
image (1).jpg
296KB, 900x598px
well, it was clear what you're doing, unlike the idiots who started slagging you off.

a few things come to mind:
I assume that the project is something like a LARP, a Mil-sim Airsoft event, something like that. So my thoughts are sort of based around that principle

1: safety. helicopters rarely have incoming traffic. You're going to have to think carefully about how you are using this, and its resultant alterations. Is it on public roads, or closed? Closed you can get away with a lot more.
1b. Vibration is all well and good, but at the same time, you dont want the van to break. So you may want to instead swap it for audio. you want a different sort of shaking really.

2: Disguise. Nothing is going to break the illusion faster than them seeing the van around it. So my suggestions are as follows:

Partition between "cockpit" and passenger cabin. that will eliminate the instant illusion-breaker of a bloke at the steering wheel of a car. also means you dont need any alteration of the actual driver's area - cost and time-saving for you.

Access. I'm going to assume you have a van or bus with sliding doors. Well, walking up to a van is going to also break your illusion. So you need to restrict your viewer's perspective so they cant see the vehicle. I'm going to assume a LARP type event. Give your players a briefing in a place with a temporary structure. they're then loaded up and hurried out over the "Landing pad" which has a polythene tunnel. Have NPC/Monstersquad pushing them forward. someone yelling "GO, GO, GO, GET IN THE CHOPPER!" and pushing them forward as they get up to the vehicle, so they dont have time to even look at the outside, and 90% of the minibus is blocked out of sight by the polythene tunnel. Bonus points if you've got a speaker setup right outside there, with the road of rotor blades and jet engines screaming really loud, and the top of the tunnel being shaken violently by the "downdraft" from the rotors. (actually, just a big fan or the likes)
>>
>>1076368
the red light that >>1076357 mentioned is a good starter - it sets the tone of the setting.

I'd suggest also going for "blackout" window coverings - again, nothing kills the illusion of being in a helicopter like seeing the light of a building that's 25 feet away and not below you.

Look at the helicopter scene from "Predator" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmZ67LwU2lw for some inspiration.

red light, noise, no view out the windows, (probably because its filmed on a set.) creating that illusion of a confined space will set the scene.

Look at these photos I'm posting of Chinook interiors - just grabbing shots off the internet as I go here.

seating facing each other, not facing out. That minimises the view outside, to help maintain that illusion - the players are looking at each other, not at the environment.

doing that will help maintain the illusion.
>>
File: chinook-helicopter-seats-c60m5r.jpg (79KB, 348x540px) Image search: [Google]
chinook-helicopter-seats-c60m5r.jpg
79KB, 348x540px
>>1076376

also be aware of the surfaces inside the van. you want them to be *really* densely covered in detail:

look again at the interiors - quilted insulation fabrics, something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Upholstery-fabric-Sawana-quilted-laminated-Furniture-Per-Metre-Light-grey-/301925754776
or even better:
https://www.onlinefabricstore.net/silver-quilted-therma-flec-heat-resistant-fabric-.htm

to cover the roof of the van and the fake bulkhead wall and door into the "cockpit" will instantly make the van less of a road vehicle, more an aircraft. infact, just found an example of that:

http://www.neatvehicles.com/raf-chinook-replica/

You want to look at stencil warning signs and notices like on the real ones.
Put a fire extinguisher, in a recess, like on the bulkhead. put black and yellow signs "EMERGENCY EXIT" above the door. "CAUTION: HEARING PROTECTION REQUIRED" on another, and so on. Put white stencil text on velcro-sticky panels. "HOIST SPEED CONTROL" or the likes.

all that set dressing will make it feel "real" inside.

the folding red seating in chinooks is very distinctive, it seems, so I'm posting photos of them
>>
File: CH-46_Machine_Gun.jpg (849KB, 2250x1500px) Image search: [Google]
CH-46_Machine_Gun.jpg
849KB, 2250x1500px
while mostly for the door gun, this photo also should give you ideas on the non-insulated areas - if a panel is removed, put in wiring and piping for hydraulics and the likes.

all this set dressing is what will take it from being a van, to something believable - even if its not copying one specific machine, it'll set the overall tone.

the next important thing is to ensure that the participants never get the opportunity to inspect up close. Side-track them with maps of the area. Have an NPC door gunner yell at them, tell them that their lifejackets in case they ditch are underneath the seats, then yell "YOU DO NOT OPEN THAT SOLDIER!" if one reaches for the emergency boxes that are in fact, nothing but painted plastic and empty. All the distractions, like maps and people yelling, added to the audio effects, and the fact they're facing each other, not looking out, *should* serve to allow the set to be convincing enough that, even if they know its not real, it will feel real enough to immerse them in the setting.
>>
>>1076384
>Anyone who runs is a VC
>Anyone who stands still is a well disciplined VC
>>
>>1076395
>HOW CAN YOU SHOOT WOMEN AND CHILDREN?!?
>>
>>1076399
>EASY, YOU JUST DON'T LEAD THEM SO MUCH.
>AIN'T WAR HELL
>>
>>1076368
I like the idea about the tunnel and the disguise in general here. I also think that you might be right in swapping the vibrations for audio. I'll be having a guy sitting next flying the troop transport in BF4, taking left and right turns whenever i do, as well as landing and taking off. Thanks a lot man.
>>
>>1076376
I was planning on covering the windows but the right light is a nice touch. Also, i like the idea aboutthe different warning signs.

>>1076384
This is all great man. I'm taking everything in right now, and the ideas start to pop up, exactly what i hoped for. Thank you!
>>
File: S7300072SIG.jpg (318KB, 1600x1200px)
S7300072SIG.jpg
318KB, 1600x1200px
>>1076429
thinking about tunnels a bit more, I'd suggest you go watch "thor" - the set for the makeshift base around the hammer in the crater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CpYb3Qdrmc

that sort of effect can be made really cheaply, just loads of poly tunnel covering, and GRP/metal poles.Some good lighting outside - ideally one or two NPC monster-squad type goons standing between a light and the wall, casting a shadow onto the tunnel, sets the scene that there's something "out there" in the space that they cant see. if you're really crafty, what you could do is work out the silhouette of a helicopter lit up, at the end of the poly tunnel, so the players see what looks like the shape of a Chinook, or a Hind, or whatever, with the audio effects.

the important thing is creating the effect, by really careful set dressing and design. Work out exactly what space you're working with. work out an art design that can be made on budget - just be aware, the cheaper you go, the harder it is to get anything looking good. I'd expect its going to cost just in the things like strap webbing and red ripstop to make seats that look right, that quilted insulation for the roof and walls and some sort of ply/alu flooring. Also a case of how much of this conversion work must be removable to de-convert the van the day after its all done.
>>
>>1076458

Already seen Thor, so i remember the base vividly. If i want the part closest to the "heli" to vibrate with a fan, would it then be better to make that part of some sort of fabric, or would the sound from the plastic be a nice touch?
>>
>>1076300
>Ignore the retards that thought you literally wanted to turn a van into a fully functional helicopter

seriously tho, its exactly how it sounded
>>
1 go to Hungary or any other post commie country
2 go to some military airfield
3 tow away one of the decommissioned helos
4 strip the parts you need, hull, seats, rotor, whatever
5 remove the back of the bus
6 put what ever parts you stripped in an orderly fashion onto the bus
7 profit
>>
"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher ah HUAH HUAH HA HA"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3EuJ3Cn2XY
>>
>>1076282
>about 40 people

Did none of you motherfuckers read this? That's not a van or minibus.
>>
File: 1477376603888.jpg (29KB, 540x663px)
1477376603888.jpg
29KB, 540x663px
>>1076925
>Didn't shoot shim before throwing him out.
>Its like he's not even trying
>>
>>1076929
>7 at a time
Did you read this?
>>
i sexually identify as a conversion van turned helicopter
>>
File: helikopter.jpg (189KB, 1024x573px) Image search: [Google]
helikopter.jpg
189KB, 1024x573px
ITT
>>
File: 1473190956994.gif (2MB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
1473190956994.gif
2MB, 256x192px
>helicopter misspelled
>>
>>1076955
No I fucking well didn't. what of it.
>>
>>1077344
Actually that's a correct hungarian spelling
>>
File: IMG_20160614_102652426.jpg (3MB, 5248x2952px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160614_102652426.jpg
3MB, 5248x2952px
I work on Blackhawks in the army, so feel free to pick my brain
Everyone is saying you need two major components, and I couldn't agree more
>Vibrations
>Noise
Other than that, I'd just look into having exposed metal/wires running along the walls. Maybe having some windows removed with a door gunner/crew chief seat installed
Someone already said it, but taking the doors off would be very Huey-like
You should look into real harnesses or even better, real passenger seats
>>
File: dem crash sites.jpg (507KB, 1280x853px)
dem crash sites.jpg
507KB, 1280x853px
OP,

Diamond dick idea:
1) Add a smoke machine in the driver cabin
2) turn it on when you are ready to leave the chopper
3) Start shouting that the helo is hit and that they need to prep for a crash landing. Make them assume airplane crash positions (great for the next step).
4) Time to drive like a fucking retard, i would suggest 1 hard brake, 2 full circles left, 3 right, and then turning of the volume and a strobe. I would HIGHLY recommend ACDC Thunderstruck, better then some wannabe realistic chopper sounds Pro-tip: Stop the car and WAIT at least 5 seconds so people can get atleast some bearings and that if people are hurt they have time to make it known.
5) Give the people a speech that they need to run to the GREEN light in the LZ. Those who dont make it before it is turned off take a game penalty
6) Line the van up for the exit area, which consists of wreckage, some burning barrels, another smoke machine, strobe light. The trick is to have some sort of wooden wall or cloth wall which the van parks behind. In a pinch a black bed sheet will do, hang between 2 trees with a rope. Make sure to have a bunch of stuff all over the place, go all in and outdo yourself. Cartires, cardboard boxes, clothing, army camo net.
[spoiler]pro-tip add some slaughterhouse thrash to the crashsite. A carved up goat with a light in its mouth will be the stuff of legends[/spoiler]
7) Have a GM/Admin open the van door. Have him/her PULL them out of the van really hard. People should fall on the floor. Protip: A mattress on the floor. Keep yelling run to the green light. The more people are yelling run to the green light the better the experience
8) ???
9) Profit

Not sure what the setting is, but having the green light lead to a sandbag bunker, foxhole, firelane makes for a great way to keep things moving.

[1/2]
>>
>>1078817
[2/2]

Used to do this kind of stuff all the time. The key thing preparing the area and keeping people in instinct/beast mode where they dont think but keep running. I will bet you that 75% wont even notice the goat if you properly pressure the group. A group will always take longer then expected. Have a first aid kit ready and a walky talky. Do a trail run at least 3 times in the day and 5 times in the dark. The ACDC song might not be your taste, but i can guarantee people will fucking love it on the day itself.

Another small idea if you dont have to much time left, is to mask people before they enter the chopper. Gasmasks, balaclava masks, panty hoses, and pillow sleeves can all work to reduce visibility.
>>
Update op pls
>>
File: Sikorsky S-55 Heli-Camper.jpg (289KB, 600x772px) Image search: [Google]
Sikorsky S-55 Heli-Camper.jpg
289KB, 600x772px
>>1076282
>minibus into a "helicopter"

Been there, done that.
>>
>>1079530
>>
>>1079533
>>
File: Sikorsky S-55_1128225202.jpg (149KB, 1024x600px) Image search: [Google]
Sikorsky S-55_1128225202.jpg
149KB, 1024x600px
>>1079535

And the base Skiorsky S-55 the Heli-Camper is built from.
>>
>>1077344
Ah yes, the ignorance... And correct in Swedish also. But what can you expect, some people's worlds revolvs around their own navel?
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.