[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone on /diy/ ever taught themself how to do things from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: diy.png (24KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
diy.png
24KB, 512x512px
Has anyone on /diy/ ever taught themself how to do things from scratch? My dad died when I was really young so I didnt have a father figure, and I dont know how to do shit but I want to learn for my children one day. Whats a good place to start?
>>
Necessity is the mother of invention. Look at things that you need around the house or are working on that the proverbial "real man" ought to be able to do like plumbing and woodwork.

YouTube is a great resource to find out how and then go for it!
>>
>>1075764
That's depressing.

I've learned basic electrical and household upkeep from my dad, but most of my electrical and mechanical knowledge comes from my job. In other words, get a better job.
>>
Mate there are enough online resources available that as long as you have half a brain in your head, the right tools and are willing to have a go, then you are golden.

Like the other poster said, pick something that needs to be done around the house and start there.

I taught my self how to service my bike, strip it to pieces and build it back up again.
>>
on the upside, you still got your mom, so you can still learn sewing, baking, and cum-gargling.
>>
Yeah, everything is on Youtube these days. But y'know, before Youtube there were these things called books, and their information density was a lot higher. You could learn quite a few things from reading books.
>>
>>1075810
This
I taught myself knife forging/making from a book that was as old as my grandfather tucked away in the back corner of the downtown library.
>>
>>1075789
If his mom knew how to cum gargle really well I doubt op would have been born.
>>
>>1075764
The basics goes like this:
OP: "I'd like to have this done, I'll hire someone to do it."
Don't.
Do It Yourself.
OP: "I'd like a thingamajig, I'll buy one!"
Don't.
Do It Yourself.

And the rest is history.

If you need a tool to do something, get the tool. Soon you'll have plenty and you can tackle new horizons.

I have learned shit from my parents. Nowdays I service my cars (four old pieces of shit, need lots of said servicing), fix shit if something breaks at home, fix appliances at home (the fix is not always succesful, sometimes you jhust need to buy a new thingamajig), build stuff and tools I feel like I need.
At the moment I'm building a house, no prior building experience. It's surprisingly easy, just a lot to do.

But watch out, DIY is a slippery slope, you might be in a situation where you are doing stuff that you never will be using, just for the fun of building. Catapult comes in mind...
Highly recommended.
>>
Like others have said, do something yourself instead of getting someone to do it for you. Do your reading, the more tedious/expensive way is usually the right way, and don't get in over your head.

DO troubleshoot your lawnmower when it breaks. DON'T do your own foundation for a shed. DO change your own oil. DON'T rebuild your own engine (at least not on your primary means of transportation).
>>
File: father figure.png (9KB, 1196x133px) Image search: [Google]
father figure.png
9KB, 1196x133px
>>1075764
>I didnt have a father figure

I'm south asian, and we don't have father figures either. As far as they are concerned their job is putting food on the table and beating you when you don't live up to expectations. We get by just fine.
>>
>>1075789
Golden
>>
>>1075764
I'd never used a paint gun till I got a $10 HF one and started painting.

I'd never done any leatherwork till I got some leather and basic components and made a sheath.

I replaced a toilet with practically no plumbing knowledge.

People keep coming here and asking "I want to start X, tell me everything I need to know."
Time to grow a pair and just go do it. Yes, you will screw up, that's how you learn what not to do.
>>
My father was never very good with kids. So ive had to lean most things myself.

Fact is anon we live in a generation with a almost unlimited amount of information at our disposal via the internet. If you're not a complete fucking moron and can follow simple instruction you can do anything.
i did a top end engine job on my car using a combination of the internet, and a $25 Haynes manual, that was two years ago and it still runs strong. Currently im working on my second LCD tv.
to start off, i recommend just making sure you have nothing to loose on the things you're working of, just tear into stuff you got free or cheap so it doesn't matter what happens.
>>
YouTube literally fucking everything.
This was free education that i learned more from than the 4 years of programming in college.
>>
Pretty much everything I know how to do is self taught. That's what happens when you remove all the shop classes to make room for band, art, and choir.

It really used to piss me off because I've never sung to my car and suddenly the oil was changed, but then I realized that there is an entire generation of people my age who have zero real life skills. I'm currently going to school to be a vet, and I haven't had take out a single cent in loans because I fix/do things for other kids on campus who have absolutely no idea how.

Just last week I got some idiot for $100 because he put a dent in his car. Took me 15 minuets and a suction cup.
>>
>>1075777
If you need a guide on how to put a bike together then you are not qualified to be on the internet. A literal 3 year old could do it without any previous knowledge.
>>
>>1076828
Yeah, my 8yr old just rebuilt the engine on my Skyline GTR.
Wtf is everyone else doing with their lives?
>>
>>1076552
>Lcd tv? like from a pc monitor?
>lcd tv
>pc monitor
>tv
>monitor
I think I found out why you couldn't figure out how to find what you're looking for.

Learn how to ask google the right questions and you shall be rewarded with the information you seek. I'm not even sure what you're asking about. Maybe you should ask the google
>what is lcd tv?
>>
>>1075764
how to become a man
1 buy tools mid range (never buy the cheapest or the top shelf)
2 buy safety googles
3 find easy to clean space
4 mod your pc case , revarnish the chairs etc
pro tip never ever buy work gloves if you are going to use spinning instruments
>>
>>1075764
Same, except mine was just a worthless wage monkey with a bad temper, just like this guy's >>1076176

Luckily we live in a real country with mentors and a vast supply of information instead of a blighted shithole full of grass huts and superstition.

I just learned project by project. You'll find that a lot of information transfers to various tasks. If you do some research on which fasteners to use for some little task, the process of discovery will teach you about fasteners in general, and give you the resources to do more research next time.

Because online sources can be incomplete or unreliable, I often cross reference with books and other online sources. There's a ton of idiots on youtube and especially Instructables who think everything can be fixed with hot glue, duct tape, and a 3D printer.
>>
>>1079443
why?
>>
>>1075764
I learned everything I know about carpentry from a job I had after high school.
>>
There's plenty of good advise here but I'd advise finding an old guy.
Old bastards know everything and aren't shy about telling you all about it.
I don't know what you're into but if you've got a hobby, anything from model airplanes to motorcycles, to guitar building, there are places where these people gather and will talk all day about stuff they built.
>>
>>1079599
The gloves get stuck, believe me getting your hands stuck in a lathe because of the gloves is not fun.
Also Nice dubs
>>
>>1080111
I would also recommend this. I learned so much about electronics, woodwork, and engine repair, and even about life from a group of RC plane flyers.

Old guys are the best.
>>
>>1080116
I'd like to add to this, you don't want to get stuck to something spinning very fast. Like an angle grinder, saw, etc. Power tools should be treated with respect, especially the huge larger ones (lathes and the like). Just google "Man lathe accident nsfw", and you'll get an idea what can happen.
>>
>>1079599
Your gloves can catch, and (parts of) your hands may come off with the gloves.

>>1075768
this. everything I've learned about how the modern world physically works has mostly come from it breaking down around me and myself just poking at it to see how I can nigger-rig it back together.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.