[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

110V to 220V

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: Amps.jpg (1MB, 1500x1875px) Image search: [Google]
Amps.jpg
1MB, 1500x1875px
Hey /diy/

I might be moving to Australia in the nearish/mid future and I will have a way of shipping lots of heavy stuff for free like my amps in pic related.

My question is, is it likely possible or approachable to consider rewiring the transformers in the amps to run on 220V instead of their native 110V? Someone was telling me that depending on how the trans. is designed it might not be that hard.

I know I could probably get some of this stuff in Australia but it would be hard to find and really expensive and I won't have a lot of money to bring with me. Also the Audiocontrol stuff is zero chance of finding in Australia.

The main units I'm thinking about are the two NAD amps, if it helps there are a 7175PE Power Envelope (top with the radio station displaying) and a 2155 (bottom with the blank face).
>>
File: transformer.jpg (14KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
transformer.jpg
14KB, 250x250px
>>1075698
You can buy transformers that convert 11vac to 240vac. AUS industry use them a lot if they buy overseas from the US.

They are external step up transformer units, so I would try to find replacements for the internal transformers on your equipment first though.
>>
Jaycar Electronics - www.jaycar.com.au - is the go to place in Australia for the sort of transformers you need, but check on the back of the equipment as it may already have a switchable transformer already built in.

The type shown in the pic above is an isolated stepdown transformer and will cost you between $119 and $419 (AUD) at Jaycar depending on how many watts you need.

You might find better priced transformers here - http://www.tortech.com.au/step-down-transformer-australia/isolated-step-down-transformer
>>
>>1075698

You're probably looking at around AUD300~ or so for a step down transformer for each one.

It'd be better to sell them and buy comparable equipment when you get there.
>>
File: converters.jpg (98KB, 944x469px) Image search: [Google]
converters.jpg
98KB, 944x469px
>>1075844

300 Bukaroo bucks seems quite a lot. i can get 200W ones for just 23 Canuck bucks.
>>
I think you might actually be easier rewiring the transformers than using step-ups etc. - esp if cheap crap trafos. afaik, NAD has 'seperate' european/us models, and thus no 110/230v selector; however, may not mean they are difficult to rewire, are other model differences (no AC outlets on Euro models, etc.) outwith trafo.

BUT as said once or twice, all of this would only make sense if (a) Free shipping, (b) you moving back relatively soon (c) free shipping, again. Ive shipped crap all over the world, got stuff still in storage in various countries, fucking lotta wasted time, energy and money, dont do this. AUS has HiFi shops as well as spiders (i think), you*'d have difficulty selling US stuff there otherwise if needed, etc. Unless you REALLY REALLY hang on it, sell it, buy something there, its really the best advice.
>>
File: ae235.jpg (9KB, 330x330px) Image search: [Google]
ae235.jpg
9KB, 330x330px
I use pic related at work to run 240v gear on the 110v supply.

It would be more than adequate to run those and anything else you want.

£75 new.
>>
Check the existing transformers. They often have dual windings internally which are reconfigurable.

>NAD tuner
Does it have 100khz spacing on FM with 50 µs pre-emphasis and 9khz spacing on AM? You will want that.
>>
>>1075711

>if they buy overseas from the US

US is 110v buddy
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.