[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Electronic components

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 18.jpg (30KB, 450x293px) Image search: [Google]
18.jpg
30KB, 450x293px
Hey /diy/ need some help on where to find electronic components. The radio shack in my town closed and im pretty sure thats the only place that would sell components. I dont really wanna order parts online but that seems like the only place that would have them. Are there any places that you guys know that I wouldnt think of?
>>
>>1075314
For general stuff I need much off I just order from China via eBay. Resistors, LEDs, capacitors, diodes, generic transistors and so on, all dirt cheap
when you buy at least a hundred or so.

For more specialized stuff/when I need something fast/quality I use a local supplier, since I'm from Germany that won't help you tho.
>>
I hack my stuff out of old electronics.
Un-solder components and reuse them out of about everything I find. In some cases you can rewrite / flash a CPU in a device with the right interface.
>>
I used to work at Radioshack myself. Being that I have been asked this very question many times, let me just say that Radioshack isnt exactly what it used to be. They arnt very focused on selling important, key electronic components. They sell basic things such as Resistors, LEDs, capacitors, diodes, generic transistors and so on.

On the other hand. If you arnt in a rush to wait for you components to be delivered to your house. I might suggest going to some online sights other than amazon. Someone in here already said ebay, thats a good one. Personally I myself would search online looking for the cheapest method for.

The rest is really up to you. If you have the time I would look at the DIY station at your local Radioshack and check out what they have. they do a pretty good job at stocking that stuff, plus they can contact other stores around them and see if they have it in their inventory.

Good luck!
>>
>>1075336
Fuck Ratshack them cucks dont know shit and they are way over priced. Shop on EBay and buy from China, yeah its fucked but its dirt cheap and the same shit Ratshack is selling
>>
>>1075336
I would go to Radioshack, but there aren't any left in my state im pretty sure.
>>
I'm also interested in this topic.
What does /diy/ think of mouser?
>>
>>1075314
If you don't wanna order parts online, then you could just drive to China.

Seriously, there isn't any walk-in store in the whole USA that has the variety of stuff you can mail-order.
And a lot of the stuff from China costs 1/10th what US companies charge.

Go on someplace like aliexpress and search for "assortment" and the following terms:
resistor
electrolytic capacitor
ceramic capacitor
film capacitor
inductor
LED
diode
transistor
potentiometer
prototype board

all the arduino clone stuff is cheap, and most of it works 100%. So search for:
uno clone
pro mini clone
nano clone
mega clone
due arm clone
digispark clone

If you are in the USA I *highly* advise you to choose epacket shipping, or something more expensive+faster.
The "Seller's shipping method" is the one that can take three goddamned months, and most of that time is just getting the shit out of China....
>>
>>1075314

Deal extreme or dxsoul if you live in the US
>>
>>1075672
dx.com
>>
>>1075314
Mouser and Digikey have done me right.
>>
>>1075723
I've never used Digikey, but Mouser and Jameco are awesome. I prefer Mouser, but Jameco's warehouse is ~30 minutes away, so you can make an order online, and it'll almost always be ready the same day.

I can understand not wanting to buy online. I dislike having a bunch of e-commerce accounts and such, but IMHO Mouser is quite good. http://www.mouser.com/
>>
File: 1474598165987.jpg (47KB, 920x690px) Image search: [Google]
1474598165987.jpg
47KB, 920x690px
Got some new places to check out, thanks anons.
>>
In the USA, Radio Shack and Fry's are the only two stores I've ever heard of that sell electronics parts. And Radio Shack is mostly gone at this point, and Fry's is only in the southern and western US apparently.

Digikey, Mouser, Jameco and Newark are four US-based places I've used. All of them are good, but they're way more expensive than the China stuff.
For what any of those places charge you for one [thing], you can probably get a bag of ten [same things] from China.
>>
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Tayda Electronics. They're in Thailand but they ship super fast. Their prices (including international shipping cost) are impossibly cheap. Components are always neatly bagged and labeled. Great selection.
>>
>>1075339
Chinacuck compenents are shit and don't last long. GeT real components from digi key
>>
Chinese suppliers on eBay will reliably sell you a ton of shit for dirt cheap. But test the components thoroughly when they arrive. I've even gotten fake *resistors* from China. Still worth it if you're willing to test religiously.

Otherwise: Digikey (the gold standard), Mouser and Newark (mostly just as good, but their search interfaces suck), Allied (crap selection, but if they have what you want, it's probably cheap), Jameco (Allied caveats * 10), MPJA (for power supplies, Mammoth (for knobs, which are oddly hella expensive elsewhere),

If you need LEDs, lots of LEDs, order direct from Nichia. They were the only major manufacturer willing to give me the time of day and not add a 100x markup.
>>
Not in the USA but generally, go to Google and search Arduino $yourcity. Usually the second/third result is some local shop that sells parts, they all have Arduinos because that's what's popular among their younger customers and younger customers are the usually the reason they still have the lights on.
>>
>>1075314
>I hack my stuff out of old electronics.
>Un-solder components and reuse them out of about everything I find. In some cases you can rewrite / flash a CPU in a device with the right interface.

This is all I've done. I'm not home for pics of it all, but I've filled 3 divider boxes and a toolbox full of usable components by just hoarding electronics and salvaging like mad
>>
>>1076009
Yeah Tayda is great. They're slightly more expensive than AEX and eBay, but their parts are good and they have a warehouse in the US or some magic that lets them ship surprisingly fast. Stock is a little small I guess, but it's rare I haven't been able to find something.
>>
>>1075314
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned these places yet, I get a lot of stuff from them: Adafruit and Sparkfun.
>>
>>1078243

Nobody mentioned them because their markups are insane.
>>
>>1078250

Agreed 100%. I mainly order from Mouser because they're less than an hour away from me. Digikey for a few things, too.

I do like Aliexpress.com for LED strips though.... and occasionally for crap that I want to play with sometime far in the future. Shipping takes forever, but the cheap makes up for it.
>>
>>1078250
The value lies in tutorials, pre packaged kits with everything a project needs and other support.
It's geared for beginners.
>>
I tend to buy a lot of "new old stock" stuff off ebay...high quality shit from the US for dirt cheap. Only prob is you don't know what you're gonna find, but I just buy giant lots and sort em as they come in. I also reclaim a lot of stuff from scrap boards, I have two giant bins in my shop of old boards for experimenting with.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend getting yourself a Hakko desoldering gun. I have used this thing to reclaim hundreds of dollars in parts, specifically hard to come by ic's.

I mainly use reclaimed stuff for experiments or proto, for anything mission critical, I will go Mouser or Jameco for new, quality stuff.
>>
>>1079461
>hakko desoldering gun
>265 dollars
yeah, it would take 20 years for that thing to repay itself
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.