[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Electrical wiring.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: over1.jpg (164KB, 475x594px) Image search: [Google]
over1.jpg
164KB, 475x594px
Want to know everything there is to know about this subject. the does and don't, perhaps some good tutorial etc. I gladly accept all helpfull knowledge.

Need to place a lot of new wiring in this old house but I'm a poorfag.
I would say I'm intermediate when it comes to experience. But of course I want to do it securely and safe. Luckily I have a lot of patience to learn and never do anything diy until I know everything there is to know about it.
And before someone points it out, no I'm unable to take a course on it sense work keeps me occupied at the moment
>>
>>1075103
>Electrical wiring
>perhaps some good tutorial

lol

call someone who actually knows what they're doing, ie. has a license
>>
>>1075103
Look at the code in your area. That is the minimum level of safety you need to build to. Done. You want to put in some fancy stuff or nice features? Thats a different story. For safety though, the code is a a great place to start.
>>
Really vague there buddy
>>
>>1075151
Don't know anyone who has a licence.
>>1075153
Okay, I tried to find it but the only thing I could find were government messages urgently stating that "dumb-assholes like me are not allowed to tinker with the power grid or the wires". I understand.. Will still continue doh.
>>1075154
Do you think so? I think I elaborated it pretty well. If I explained everything in detail the cap on this thread will be reached ;).
>>
>>1075103

Read the NEC. It's both the instruction you'd need and the regulation you have to abide to.

The bulk of home wiring basically comes down to what gauge wire you can use, how you're allowed to connect it, and how you're supposed to keep it in place. It's not difficult at all, really; it's just that it's one of those things that's hard to fuck up if you follow instructions, but is potentially a VERY bad time if you do manage to fuck up.
>>
>>1075103
1. Buy wire
2. Google how to run wire
3. Run wire
4. ???
5. Install outlet boxes
7. Understand why neutral and ground are different
8. Done
>>
>>1075151
lol people who have an electrical engineering degree don't have a license.

the math is the same and so basic that its child play, all the license means is that an electrician can read a book that was written by lawyers to explain why they did what they did.

>>1075103
OP buy lots and lots of wire nuts, always bend the wires so wire nuts are up so they can't collect water in case of a leaky roof

google how many amps a gauge of wire can handle and over kill it (don't go 2 awg above, 4 is better) to be safe so if you over load something you don't start a fire by melting the insulation off wires.

learn about series and parallel, don't wire in series unless you want to always have your bedroom light on just so your alarm clock works.

don't put everything on one line/breaker, some places in order to meet code you can't have more than 12 things on a line, some places allow more some less.

don't hide junction boxes, in case you fuck up and hire an actual electrical it will cost way less if every junction you have is accessible and not behind drywall, every place i know it will fail inspection for hidden junction boxes.

don't use the wrong type of wire, the insulation on speaker and power cord wire will actually rot off the wire behind a wall due to lack of airflow.

some places in the US (usually small towns) don't require an electrician to rewire a house, an inspector just has to pass off on it so check your local codes. if you live in a place that needs an licensed electrician and you get caught doing it yourself, the fines you will pay it will be cheaper to hire a good electrician. don't go cheap and get someone who periodically has a license, chances are they aren't doing things to code and lose their license after a failed inspection.

some city in austrailia it's only legal to have a licensed electrician change a light bulb and you can be fined for doing it yourself.
>>
>>1075174
come on, floating a neutral is awesome and a neat party trick
>>
also some basic math for you

E=iR----- part of ohm's law
basically current(i) multiplied by resistance(R) equals voltage (E) (some people use V for voltage, i paid for my edumacation and was taught E is short for elecrto motive force)

watts----- are simply voltage multiplied by current

volt-amps-----basically the same thing as watts only it uses true RMS (root means squared) of voltage. if you stick a multi-meter in an outlet you'll see the voltage fluctuate (if its a decent multi-meter it will have a RMS voltage function), true RMS is just an average. electricians like to throw the word volt-amps around.

that's all the math electricians basically need, (its not like they have to calculate the gain on a basic push pull amplification circuit). other than knowing what guage/awg wire to use for what amperage, how to read a code book to explain why you did what you did and apprentice 1000+ hours under a master for next to nothing. though bending conduit is tricky

also if wiring and junctions can be in contact with water, make it so they can't or run it somewhere else, in bathrooms and kitchens use ground fault interrupts (either on the outlets or in line with the wring between the breaker box and appliance), its code everywhere as far as i know.
>>
>>1075177
>read a book that was written by lawyers
no. that book is written by fire safety engineers
>>
110v115v/120v are the same thing.
Houses vary depending on transformer they outside on the power line, distance that wire runs.
>black wire is hot (to the breaker)
>white is neutral, bare copper and/or green is ground- both of these go to the neutral bar in the breaker panel

For 220v/240v
>black wire to one side of double breaker
>red wire to other side
>white wire to neutral bus bar (also bare/copper is it has one)

Code is 8 outlets per breaker in Texas. There are variances per state and such, but that's a good number.

It doesn't matter if it goes
>panel>light>switch
Or
>panel>switch>light
Just need the switch to break the connection.
Put switch on black wire before light.
Having switch on white wire will function properly, but light is still "hot" with switch off.

Spend the extra cash for the larger breaker box.
All breakers are not compatible, there are different styles from different manufacturers. You can't plug brand A breaker into brand B breaker panel.

If you run out of room and just need 1 more circuit,, you can buy a split breaker- size of a normal one but has 2 seperate breakers/wire connectors in it- not to be confused with a double-sized 2 pole breaker for 220v.
>>
>>1075257
In the U.S., standard outlets have silver screws to connect neutral (white wire), copper colored screws for hot (black wire).
The larger blade on the plug is neutral.
Gfci plugs can be used to protect other outlets also- it will have instructions on how to wire it. They need to be the first plug in the chain from the panel.
Or you can get gfci breakers- but they're like $40 compared to a standard breaker for $3.
>>
>>1075259
>Or you can get gfci breakers- but they're like $40 compared to a standard breaker for $3.
I had an electrician try to pull that one on me. I have an old house and its all 2 wire. As outlets wore out they replaced them with 3 prong ones but didn't run any ground wires to them. I want to have GFCI put in to give the outlets at least some protection.

He says, "Just use a few GFCI breakers. You'll save money in the long run because it is faster and less labor to install.
"But none of the outlets have ground wires. How would the breaker even know if they shorted to ground?"
"Uhh."
"Yes, that you so much for stopping by. I don't think I will be needing your services."
>>
>>1075177
degree ≠ license
>>
>>1075103
Black and Decker guide to home wiring books are good.
>>
>>1075188
Because you can help prevent house fires by following all codes the city tell you to!

If you don't, the code police will come.

FYI, perhaps an electrician should read a book by an electrician.
>>
>>1075269
>gfci needs a ground to work

GFCI will simply not work in a preventive way if there's no ground, but if you get shocked it should still detect the current flowing away(GFCI doesn't know wheter the current is going through a ground/water/person).

Also, why a few? Here in Belgium you only need a 300mA and a 30mA for the bathroom.

And we're not allowed to use an eletrical outlet with ground-connection if the ground isn't connected. And yes, they check each outlet.
>>
>>1075269
Gfci doesnt detect shorts to ground. It detects current flowing out through the hot but not returning through the neutral. So there is no reason the breakers wouldn't work providing they are connected properly at the panel. You dont need a ground at the outlets and your electrician was right.
>>
>>1075472
This guy gets it.

GFCIs can trip if there is a current difference of as little as 6mA. They make different classes that are more or less sensitive.

The GFCI trips when you drop the toaster into the bathtub because some of that current now flows through you, the water, and the metal pipes to ground. Having a properly grounded outlet in this example doesn't keep you from getting shocked.
>>
>>1075186
>E=iR
you disgust me
>>
>>1075103
>Need to place a lot of new wiring in this old house
>old house
If you gonna break walls, check the history for asbestos.
In some old houses thats a one thing you find for sure in walls.
>>
>>1075505
ikr, goddamn plebians not using the Dynamical Theory of the Electromagnetic Field.
>>
>>1075178
Explain yourself to a noob?
>>
JFC get an electrician.

If you can't afford an electrician, you certainly can't afford a funeral.

Learn the theory and work it out from the code, or join a professional association that gives you a simpified "how to" that falls within the code and covers 99% of situations (ie become a qualified electrician).

All domestic services want to kill you.
You don't know what the fuck you are doing.
Don't fuck with them.

Just fucking don't.
>>
>>1075335
t. retard who knows nothing about the NEC
Take an introductory residential wiring class
>>
>>1075644
Unless you have a pacemaker, a bite from a home service is only going to annoy you.
Its like you've never gotten zapped from 110v before.
>hint: AC 110v service was chosen as a standard because of how safe it is.
>>
>>1075177
>google how many amps a gauge of wire can handle and over kill it (don't go 2 awg above, 4 is better) to be safe so if you over load something you don't start a fire by melting the insulation off wires.
I hate you fuckers who do this. Good luck finding a 15A light switch that will accept 10AWG wire. And even if you do, the poor sap who has to replace it later will be splicing pigtails onto your 'overbuilding'.
>>
>>1075738
Lol.
The price difference is ridiculous also.
12/3 (12 gauge, 3 wire) is standard.
You can get a 250 foot roll for less than a hundred bucks.
Or a 100 foot roll of 10/3 for about the same price.
For 8/3 (220v for A/C or clothes dryer) you'll get about 50 feet for the same-ish cost.
>>
>>1075177
Even in larger citys/towns, a licensed electrician isn't required. It just has to be to current code if you want to sell it.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.