[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laptop cooling mods.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20160925_160916.jpg (227KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160925_160916.jpg
227KB, 1600x1200px
Real hardware mods not those fucking cooling pads or vacuum fans!
Because they are and will always be pure and utter shit!
>>
Also the mobility shall be secondary, as this is mostly for the rejuvenation of old/unused laptops.
>>
>>1074607
>>1074608
>Also the mobility shall be secondary
usb cooling pad
>>
>>1074609
Kys
>>
>>1074610
Anything you nigger rig is going to accomplish the same thing lad.
Alternatively clean out the dust you retard.
>>
>>1074607
>mineral oil
>aquarium filter pump
>automotive heater core
>fan
>ice chest
>hoses
>>
Cut a fucking hole in it and stick on a desktop heatsink.
>>
>>1074612
Laptops (especially for gaming) almost always have heat problems, the only retarded thing I did was buying one.

Dust is always a problem you nigger.
Cleaning is mandatory.
>>
File: IMG-20161019-WA0000.jpg (238KB, 1500x973px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161019-WA0000.jpg
238KB, 1500x973px
>>1074619
Not sure sticking a heatsink on a case with holes will be very effective (if at all)? And majority of laptop cases are plastic as well?
>>
>>1074622
Not on the case you dipshit, on the processor.
>>
>>1074623
Ahh shit yeah I'm a dipshit I read "holes" instead of hole! Sorry senpai
>>
File: cpu-fan-club.jpg (260KB, 640x1920px) Image search: [Google]
cpu-fan-club.jpg
260KB, 640x1920px
>>1074607
personal fav of mine

laptops aren't easy to cool and making it better than the original engineering is really not going to happen. Best bet is just to clean the dust out.
>>
>>1074637
Kek that picture always get to me.
Well the engineers had to work with VERY restricted space. But that is not a problem for us consumers.
>>
>>1074642
Easiest way is to just pump more air through the existing vents

Best way is to build a new enclosure with a bigger heatsink and better airflow.
>>
>>1074642
cut through PLASTIC ONLY, attach fan with glue/directly to case, add LARGE FEET to bottom of case, get cheap filter pads to cover any air intakes/make dusting easy. Use heat sinks where heat is produced to increase surface area to cool. Put thermal insulation between batteries and PC. Fan to said batteries. Non-conductive oil in rubber mat style pad, with intake/outtakes hooked up to external heat pump, if room, WILL KILL HEAT, make sure that it has channels in the panel to properly circulate that heat/fluid out/in and to the heat exchanger. Making your batteries external without direct contact to your laptop can/might reduce another source of heat, increase area for fans/heat exchangers.
>>
File: serveimage(84).jpg (89KB, 1774x2365px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage(84).jpg
89KB, 1774x2365px
My laptop has the gpu and cpu facing upward so I would have to modify the top of the laptop, only problem is... I would not want to obscure the view.
How about I drag thermal pipes from the top around the laptop to the bottom with heatsinks on it?
Or Is that completely idiotic?
>>
>>1074721

Pushing air up from the bottom will still cause the hot air to evacuate from the top and sides, it just won't be as dramatic of a temperature drop
>>
>>1074935
No no I meant like a closed system. The original fans and their own discrete ait tunnels would be unaffected except for the fused(?) Thermal pipes that would connect beside the original pipes.
>>
Would gladly like to see /diy/'s own cooling rigs!
>>
>>1074607
>Buys laptop
>Wants cooling equivalent to tower
>Mobility is secondary

You dense fuck.
>>
File: 1475214701677.png (18KB, 509x411px) Image search: [Google]
1475214701677.png
18KB, 509x411px
>>1075385
As I stated before I was retarded for buying one. But to be fair it's an awesome laptop and I have a full Nvidia 1070 connected to it.
When I said "mobility secondary" I meant "fuck mobility! If it can be carried then it's mobile enough". Am I dense? I just feel mellow and extremly curious.
>>
>>1075387
>I have a full Nvidia 1070 connected to it.

your best bet would be gamer fans. They are similar to normal fans but have higher performance required by gamer rigs.

there was a thread about them recently; search the archives. the OP showed how you could paint a normal fan and get gamer fan performance from it, so you save money if the paint is cheap.
>>
I have had the idea to add water cooling to a laptop for ages. But I have never bothered to do it.

The way I would do it, was to add a water cooling block to the cpu and gpu, as I would expect there would be room enough for this, instead of the stock cooler.

Then I would custom make a new lid for the screen where the heat would be dissipated.

The pump would be the only external mounted thing. It should ideally be mounted with quick release fittings.

The power supply should drive the pump and the laptop at the same time.. I'm would also calculate the minimum required water flow to keep temp at 50*c and then find a pump just capable of doing that, so it would be as small as possible..

Another thing I have tried, and it worked. Making an aluminium cover for to bottom, where the holes are a bit more optimized for flow. You will have to clean dust more often though..
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.