[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are truck brand toolboxes worth the cost?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0203.jpg (628KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0203.jpg
628KB, 800x1067px
Are truck brand toolboxes worth the cost?
>>
Nope
>>
Fuck no.
>>
>>1074594
Waste of money.

Just make a DIY one.
>>
>>1074601
These boxes are highly sophistimacated storage containers built to take tons of abuse and weight and volume yet roll around easily.

Diying these makes as much sense as as forging and machining your own nails and screws rather than just buying them from a store.
>>
>>1074594
no, this
>>1074595
>>1074596
>>
>>1074594

worth it? Ofcourse not you can store your shit in a 100 different cheaper ways that work fine.
Are they nice to have? Sure.
>>
>>1074605
>build box frame from angle iron
>outer skin from 1/8" galvanized sheet metal
>military grade drawers and slides
>super duty greaseable caster wheels without those gay ass chrome hubcap things snap on uses now
>powdercoat

Bam, 2-3k at most for something that you could crash into with the car you're working on and keep on trucking.
Fucking snap on guy had a 26k top and bottom box set. And it wasnt even a full top box, it had like a 36" work bench space in the middle.

Go to harbor freight.
>>
Nope!
>>
Conditional yes. My father owned his own shop and he had to have a box that could hold all of his tools. So he got a 72 inch snappy.it helped that he traded in a bunch of shitty craftsmen boxes and got almost 10 grand off. And if you want to buy a good box, look at used 10 year old snap on boxes, they can often be found for cheap. The 72 inch triple bay can be had in great condition for 6k
>>
>>1074844
You guys are so fucked up. 6k for a box? I can think of a gazillion other tools I'd rather spend 6k on!
But if you have the dough to spend on something as silly as a metal box then why go for it. Just not my way of working (and do remember, opinions were asked for!).
>>
truck brand toolboxes have shit resale value

i had a Matco maximizer tool box paid 5500 for it off the truck 2 years later i got laid off tried to sell it for 3-4k posted it on craigslist 3-4 months it never sold ,called the tool guy back to see if he would buy it back, he only wanted to give me 1k for it, so i went back to craigslist posted it for 2k obo guy offered 1700 and i took it.
>>
>>1074975
>truck brand toolboxes have shit resale value
this
i have a kobalt 40' top and bottom set that is v nice, but not truck brand pricey.
>>
The Harbor Freight US General Pro boxes are nice. They are very heavy duty compared to anything you can get at HD/Lowes and were clearly meant to target the Mac/Snap-on crowd.

Case in point. The Hodor Freight 44" cab weighs a full 300 lbs and has double drawer slides and thicker gauge steel.

The equivalent Kobalt with similar exterior dimensions weighs 200lbs. and is a flimsy piece of shit in comparison.
>>
>>1074594
Why would you spend money on a tool box instead of tools? Get your ass down to horror freight and check out their tool boxes. They're better than craftsman and husky and way cheaper. Shit, even costco has a really nice chest for about $600.

Fools and their money, I guess.
>>
I have been a mechanic for 34 Years. I have a snap on BIG TIME and triple bank snap on. Combined cost was $14,000 . These boxes hold a combined value of tools costing well over $150,000. My scanner alone was 10K. So you better believe my tools will be stored in the heaviest duty. safest tool box available. Snap ON. Unlike crapsman and other crappy tool boxes, unless your a locksmith your not getting in my tool box.
>>
>>1075016
>cutting torch parked next to his box tho
>>
>>1074975
>resale value
Why the holy shit would you care about resale value?

You buy tool chests to hold your fucking tools, not to sell on as a commodity.
>>
>>1075016
>$150,000
Good luck selling it when you retire Mr Snapon
>>
>>1074844

72 inch harbor freight box just as good as snappy.

BTFO
>>
>>1074594
just buy the logo and *SNAP* it on a US*GENERAL branded red box

your wank off buddies wont notice the difference and praise you for for sound decision on wank-off branded case
>>
>>1074605
this has to be bait
>>
>>1075016
>unless your a locksmith your not getting in my tool box
my angle grinder says differently
>>
>>1075244
On this board, most comments regarding SnapOn are bait
>>
>>1074605
How's the Coolaid today?

Been working on custom cars/bikes since the 80s.
Cheap Taiwan top box, Craftsman bottom.
Have acquired my fathers Craftsman top/bottom from the 60s.
Use both boxes, all still function.

And by the way I have spun my own nuts and bolts on the lathe when I need something special.
>>
>>1075266
Cont .

Oh yeah my cart I made out of two big aluminum trays I got out of postal trucks and welded a steel frame up for.
Used scrap metal and sandblasted/painted it up nice. Someone gave me some casters. Cost = probably $3 in welding wire.
Put an old Snap-on badge on it someone had laying around.
The Snappy dealer gives it a dirty look every time he stops at the shop.
>>
>>1075012
Came here to say exactly this. Between Harbor Freight and Costco, you will find what you need.
>>
>>1075236
Not in the slightest, it's almost 8 inches shallower and can't hold 6k lbs without breaking. Also finish is shit compared to a snappy. If you go cheap buy a husky box, they are better and cheaper>>1074875 it's all a matter of preference and in my opinion I would take a used snap on over a a new high end box such as a montezuma (which a comparabl box costs about 9 k)
>>
>>1075620
First off, a US General Hodor Freight box is much, much heavier duty than a Husky. And the powder coat finish is very nice.

Second, how the fuck can you even fill a 72" box with anywhere close to 6k pounds? Are you filling it with lead?
>>
>>1075620

you can't reason w/ fucking Snappy fags
>>
>>1075643
He's just full of shit. That's all.
>>
Two things:

Until 2010, both HF's boxes and SnapOn's boxes were made from components manufactured at the Stanley factory in Smith Falls, Ontario. The finishing work for SnapOn was done in Iowa, for HF in Canada.

2: With the Stanley Tool Works closure in 2010, component manufacture went to China for both companies. Again, Chinese made components assembled in Iowa for SnapOn, with HF keeping everything in one spot.

Long and short? There's a reason that the two boxes are comparable, they're completely the same. Parts off the same line, and it's been that way since the 90's.
>>
>>1075156

>implying those tools will not be handed down to kidsand grand kids who in turn hand them down to their kids and grandkids.
>>
>>1074594
The only real reason to spend money a box like that is if you're working out of it and you don't want you're shit stolen.

>>1075016
>unless you're a locksmith
that oxy-acetylene torch on wheels across the shop disagrees.
>>
>>1074594
>Are truck brand toolboxes worth the cost?

No, which is why I bought Lista when putting together USAF toolrooms and maintenance boxes, but you will pay for them.

Lista are even better than Stanley Vidmar, which are very good. If I win the lottery I'll call the Lista rep and spec a complete Lista shop. Keep an eye out for used Lista boxes because most people don't know the name.

Exception, buy used truck brand boxes when idiots sell them cheap after going in debt.
>>
>>1074594
NO!

check out sonic tools if you dont want harbor freight
>>
>>1075008
>The Hodor Freight 44" cab weighs a full 300 lbs
I work out of my van.
I have the 44" top chest at the back gate
The empty top chest alone weighs just shy of 100 lbs
fantastic box at any price
>>
I have 4 Snap-On ratchets. I like them for their high tooth count and the low force required to engage the ratcheting action.

They just have a better feel than the oriental shit. The chrome on them holds up better too.
>>
>>1075016
Shill
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.