[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sherline 8-Direction Vertical CNC Mill

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 8020_pic[1].jpg (76KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
8020_pic[1].jpg
76KB, 800x600px
I just got one of these for $800, new. I'm super excited and proud of my thrift.
Anybody have one? Tips? Any experience using the 4th axis?
Thanks.
>>
>>1073841
Have the manual version. I will tell you right now, you have to constantly check this fucking thing because of how shit the design is. Any bump on the head will push the vertical axis out of square. Even just regular milling will push the vertical axis off square. I bought the fixed column so that it wouldn't be useless but the bolt pattern is different. Was going to drill the base to mount it, but just left it collecting dust after I got tired of it.

Another shit part of the design is how much backlash it has, forget the anti backlash nuts, the leadscrews themselves are only fixed to the base through the set screw in the handwheels and they have so much slop. Then you have play perpendicular to each axis because of the shitty plastic single sided tapered gib on each carriage.

I am just waiting till I have the space and money for a better machine, then I will melt down this piece of shit and save some one else the trouble of going through the same nonsense.
>>
>>1073854
LOL.
A glowing review.
Well, if it doesn't work for me, or I can't upgrade it enough, I'll sell it to someone.
I'm not invested too much.
I wanted the extra movement of this column because I may need to mill from the side.
Thanks though
>>
>>1073854
so how tight can I expect the tolerances to stay using the whole stage?
I'm just doing arty stuff, not building aircraft.
>>
File: IMG_20160411_180615.jpg (216KB, 1184x1128px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160411_180615.jpg
216KB, 1184x1128px
>>1073861
I tried to make a watch crown and couldn't for the life of me locate and drill a fucking straight hole.

You can put a dial indicator in the chuck, zero it with the table and then pull up and down on the motor mount and it will swing by like 10thou.
>>
>>1073865
This dude converted his to a solid column.
"After the upgrade the difference is night and day while cutting aluminum. Much reduced chatter, more aggressive cuts possible, and the column stays in alignment. It’s like getting a whole new mill for $50."
https://ashermade.com/2014/05/27/sherline-2000-solid-column-conversion/
>>
>>1073886
Yeah I was in the process of doing that but I don't have anything good enough to drill the mounting holes on the base, I want to do it properly.

Also just buying the column part and re using the vertical axis isn't good enough, they align the axis square with the fixed column at the factory, there is a lot of play in the 4 mounting screws. I also imagine that if you gave it a good whack it would also go out of alignment, the design is just shit period.
>>
>>1073841
could have saved up a few more hundred bucks and gotten a used tormeme
>>
>Sherline
lol, you won't hold a tolerance past 0.01" on that. enjoy your shit tier playschool CNC.
>>
>>1073927
if you are going to buy a CNC, spend the money on a used Akira Seiki
>>
>>1073949
I will, faggot.
>>
>>1073951
Sure. I need an industrial CNC machine
>>
>>1073951
tormeme is fine for poverty tier
next step up is 5-7k for a nice used 4020 VMC
>>
File: 1457983584736hole.jpg (152KB, 777x809px) Image search: [Google]
1457983584736hole.jpg
152KB, 777x809px
op, dont worry
if you arent a total fucking faggot like some people with sherline mills, and have a small degree of competence, it will be a fine mill and you will do fine

but if you are a total fucking faggot and dont understand the concept of machine tools you will have a bad time pic related
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.