[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Woodworking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4510.png (214KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4510.png
214KB, 1366x768px
I have recently designed a gaming workstation. The dimensions are 6ft. x 6ft. x 2ft. 6in. It also has a 2ft. x 2ft. add-on. With the add-on, it has six 22in. x 23in. shelves. I have gathered some opinions from others and they think it's a reasonable size. I plan to fit three 27in. monitors, a mid-tower PC, a keyboard, a mouse, and a Blue Yeti microphone on the desk. I plan on spending no more than $500 and to use something other than OSB or Bamboo.
>>
>>1073740
get rid of the shelves under the main desk, your legs will thank me later
>>
>>1073741
I am putting those there for stability as there are no supports under the main seating space. Without those the desk would bow in the middle. Any suggestions?
>>
File: desk.jpg (121KB, 812x615px) Image search: [Google]
desk.jpg
121KB, 812x615px
>>1073743
add structure beam across in the middle

back sides use boards as bracings, also allow cable management mounted on it
>>
>dat terrible contrast
>>
>>1073750
That or you could do 3 posts middle back front left and right (back closer to the wall) and screw it into the wall as what I did with my cheap desk
>>
>>1073743

> Without those the desk would bow in the middle. Any suggestions?

Put a square steel tube diagonally from left to right corner and along the front of the corner desk section.

The bigger problem with using standard legs is preventing the legs from easily rotating slightly relative to the desk. Making the desk feel wobbly.
>>
>>1073789

Yep, bolting to wall is the best way to get a wobble free table.
>>
>>1073809
except when noises from the building structure are going onto your desk, if the building is occupied by more than a few people you will start to hear your neighbour talking from your desk

it is easy to make a desk non-wobble, any desk that is at least non-shit tier will not wobble.
>>
Sup /diy/?

Figured I'd try here instead of making a new thread. I'm fairly new to diy stuff (I've made some shit in high school in woodshop and a welding class, but that was a decade ago, and recently a small pine bedside table to set my glasses on), but if like to build a computer desk here in the next few months because I hate the one I bought a few years ago.

I'm still in the very beginning stages of my planning so none of this is stuff I've already bought, just my initial plan I'd like to run by people that actually know what they're doing.

So right now I'm playing on corner legs made from non-pressure treated 4x4s, with 4x4s running between them for braces. The top of the desk would be 2x6s attached together and then a box built on the bottom to slide onto the base (legs+ supports) and then screwed in place. The base would be held together with screwed or bolts.

Does this sound feasible? Am I over building?

The desk will hold 3 27" monitors, a tower, and a UPS but that's it.

Gotta drive home from work but I will check this thread again later. Thanks in advance for and help.
>>
>>1073939

A glued 2x6 solid wood desktop needs to be attached to the box in such a way it can expand and contract (across the width of the boards).

Plywood can just be screwed down though.
>>
>>1073965
Thanks. Didn't think about expansion or contraction at all. I was honestly planning on just screwing them into some boards running across the bottom side to secure them as I don't have access to clamps for gluing.
>>
>>1073750
I am very determined to keep the side shelves, I'm not worrying about leg room as the corner facing seating area is 3.5 ft wide. Any way to strengthen the desktop without removing the shelves?
>>
>>1073993

> I was honestly planning on just screwing them into some boards running across the bottom side to secure them as I don't have access to clamps for gluing.

Don't. If you don't want to worry about expansion use plywood. Another advantage of plywood is that for the same thickness and sag it can have a greater span.

I have a shitty looking desk made from some really cheap plywood (2x18mm screwed and glued together) with a 2 meter span and no apron board on the front (there is one on the back). It will flex a couple mm if I sit in the middle on the front edge, but that's way more load than it would ever see in normal use.

I did it like that because I like a bit of legroom, which you with a whopping 6 inches thickness at the side lack.

If you really want a DIY solid wood desktop with aprons, make the desktop from 1" thick boards, joined by pocket holes and use 1x3 boards for aprons. That's plenty, 2" thick and 4x4 is a bit ridiculous.

Figure 8 fasteners on the aprons at the end of the boards only are a cheap way to be able to deal with expansion.
>>
>>1074029
Thanks. This was basically the advice I needed. I'll head back to my "plans" and re think a majority of it.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.