[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, So I wanted to use some scrap glass I had to build

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: glass-cutters.jpg (206KB, 650x434px) Image search: [Google]
glass-cutters.jpg
206KB, 650x434px
Hey guys,

So I wanted to use some scrap glass I had to build some small lids for my small aquariums. I watched some YouTube videos on glass-cutting and I guess it's harder than it looks. I've wasted so much glass already. I don't think I'm gonna risk any more.

Does anybody know the usual rates when getting glass cut by a professional? Is it more expensive than doing it yourself?
>>
>>1073606
The thing with cutting glass is to firmly and steadily press your cutter into the glass as you score. Then get the score to hang just over the edge of your surface.

Grab the edge of the glasswith your fingers wrapped under the edge (wearing leather gloves) and the heel of your palm on top.

Pull up ever so slightly to get and even pressure on your fingers and barely lift the glass off the surface.

Using your shoulders press down firmly and quickly. Do.not.hesitate.

Holding it like that gives you the ability to hold and control the glass better after breaking and distributes the loading better. If you just hold the glass with your fingers you lose control easier especially with larger pieces.

Helped my uncle for a few summers who was a glazer
>>
>>1073610
or just put a dowel under the score and press each side
>>
Is the glass tempered perhaps? Realistically you can only cut ordinary float glass with a glass cutter like in pic. Unless you use the method described here (which is unrealistic).

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-cut-tempered-glass

As for what it cost to go to some local shop and have them use their machines, impossible to tell. Some would rip you off, some would tell you to fuck off, some would do it for a beer and a friendly chat.

PS. I'd build the lid out of acrylic or polycarbonate, never have to worry about it breaking. Neither into shards nor into little pieces.
>>
>>1073616
I thought tempered glass simply shattered when penetrated. It's just really, really thick glass. It's actually an old aquarium I cut down because it was so beat up. I didn't cut the bottom because that tends to always be tempered glass in larger tanks.

In the videos they all seem to use pretty thin sheets..
>>
>>1073614
Or use the ball on the end of the glass cutter because that's what it there for. And let the crack propagate, don't snap the piece off.
>>
Just grind lad
>>
>>1073606

are you tapping on the score from the back before you break it?
>>
>>1073649
>grind
Are you insane?
3/10 made me reply
>>
>>1073618
Me and a friend wanted to build a water bridge for an aquarium, so we found a glass door and tried to cut it. The door exploded, and now we know not to cut random glass
>>
File: 0917162025e.jpg (775KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
0917162025e.jpg
775KB, 2560x1440px
Its usually not that expensive, I work at a glass shop. What's the size you are looking for? Aborting thing is if you're making tops I would use lexan. Lexan won't break and you can cut holes in it to put food through, then have a piece over the hole with a hinge as a lid for that
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.