[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

bachelor of engineering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1474414422112.jpg (26KB, 478x483px) Image search: [Google]
1474414422112.jpg
26KB, 478x483px
I'm thinking of getting a bachelor's in engineering but I'm unsure what honours to get it in. I like the sound of civil mechanical and mechatronics but I'm not sure. does anyone have any experience and opinions on what they think I should do?
>>
>>1073469
what do you like to do? can't help you without that

i have a technic diplom in eletronics i did together with highschool and am currently studying Mech. Engineering, and i realized i'm gonna end up in Management, because while i love building and repairing things to myself, i hate doing it for others, specially under orders
>>
>>1073469
I'm a mech. Dad is a civi.
If you like electronics or if you don't hate it, go mechatronics.
If you like being outside sometimes go for civi.

Beeing a mechanical engineer was the right decision for me, but only because I'm no CAD-Monkey.

Where I studied Mechanical eng. and Mechatronics had the first half year together.
>>
I like the sound of all three and I've looked into some projects but I'm mainly interested in the type of work that comes once you graduate. I don't want to be working in the same place doing the same thing too much. as a kid I always wanted to make robots hahaha. what work can you get into if you have honours in mechatronics or civil? are the jobs enjoyable?
>>1073502
>>1073478
>>
Is manuf. eng. a meme?
>>
I also enjoy robotics and started engineering as Mech. I slowly found out they do the robots frame and the hydraulics/pneumatics if it's that kind of robot. Computer or electrical engineers design the motor, power, wiring, and custom circuits. Software or computer engineers do the software that controls everything.

Regardless of the hardware configuration, there's software involved to control the robot. I changed majors to computer engineering because I enjoyed circuits more than codung. I graduated with a job in software simulators. Surprisingly similar work to the parts I enjoyed doing on robots in college. The 2 years of Mech also helped because I had gotten through all the classes describing how forces work, and flunked out of the parts where forces caused things to deform. When making a sim, the will this break if... questions have been answered so all I needed to do was show the forces causing motion.

Tldr; find out what you like to make on the robots. If it's the part designing the frame and positioning the motors, go Mech. If it's the part where you hook all the motors up to a control board and grab the remote, do comp eng with a hardware specialty (microelectronics I guess.) If it's working on a pc writing the code, then do comp eng with an embedded software specialty. If it's figuring out why your motors are overheating, catching fire, or super weak, then you want to go electrical engineering.
>>
>>1073571
what?
>>
>>1073571
>Is manuf. eng. a meme?
That depends - with that logic everything is a meme. Engineering in its broadest sense can be a whole fucking lot, and what they teach you in institutions will vary from place to place.

Manufacturing is quite a broad scope of things you can do, consisting of materials, processing, handling, packaging, logistics and even machine servicing support.

Shit like 8 axis cnc, plant operations, even tool design.

You will most likely work with others in a related field. Multi axis cnc is cool as shit, yo.
>>
>>1073594
I completely agree. Engineering programs differ so much between schools that what they're called is almost immaterial.

You need to find a school that appeals to you, go and talk to the program director, ask to talk to one or two recent graduates if possible, and figure out if what they're selling is worth buying. What do they actually cover? Is enough of it hands-on/lab work/real industry experience? Did they keep up to date with the rapidly changing industry? Is the placement rate good?

Granted, you seem to have a few extra u's in your words so you likely aren't American. Maybe schools in the UK/India/Europe are different (but then that's going to greatly affect the advice we give you, too...)
>>
>mechatronics
More options. Everything has electronics now.

>>1073571
In the US, yes. Manufacturing is dead and never coming back. If you learn Mandarin or Poodu and want to live in a third world shit hole... Then it's fine.
>>
>>1073642
The wages in China are going up as time goes on.
At a certain point, its going to be just as economical to manufacture goods in the USA using robots and not have to ship shit overseas.
>>
>>1073659
>>1073642
Depends on the industry. Chinks are still decades behind in optics.
>>
>>1073642
>In the US, yes. Manufacturing is dead and never coming back.

pffft hahahaha, get a load of this guy.

no, manufacturing jobs are absolutely not dead in the US. in fact, our production output for manufactured goods is as large as ever. what's dead are the meat robot jobs of yesteryear.

US manufacturing needs highly skilled and highly specialized workers, and right now the talent pool is ankle deep. guys who can run a CMM or drive a 5-axis are able to hold shops hostage for ludicrous amounts of money.
>>
>>1073617
nah im from nz so if i wanted to talk to people id have to email around and shit it just seems like a huge hassle but probably worth it
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.