[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need to know about circular saws. I need to cut some metal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 61V-G3bC+3L._SL1000_.jpg (118KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
61V-G3bC+3L._SL1000_.jpg
118KB, 1000x1000px
I need to know about circular saws. I need to cut some metal with very straight lines. I have my fathers old circular saw which specifically says not to cut metal or use abrasive blades. I see plenty of circular saws on Amazon(picture related, thinking about buying this) but they dont say if they are approved for metal cutting. There are some that say they are metal cutting but they want 400 dollars for that shit.

Whats going on here?
>>
>>1072924
liability and or warranty
Your dads old saw is probably better than the one you are looking at.

The "metal cutting" saws have heavy duty, high torque lower RPM motors better suited for cutting metal, and they have fully enclosed stronger safety guards.
>>
>>1072924
this >>1072930
for metal cuting you need specific metal cuting saw they designed for metal cuting like mentioned safety and motor if you are poor to buy you can rent one
>>
What type of metal are you cutting and how thick is it?
>>
>>1072940
Depending on what he is cutting, and how much cutting he is doing, he doesnt NEED one.
Just throw a metal cutting blade on the circular saw and hope its got enough balls and your blade is sharp enough to not bind and kickback.
>>
>>1072924
you can use a metal cutting blade to cut up to 1/8" steel, or if it's aluminum, just ignore the warnings (although there's a chance that aluminum shavings can get inside the saw and short it out, so ymmv)
>>1072930
You can also use a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade and a strip of 1/4" plywood or something for a blade guide.
what are you cutting?

and the reason for it is that if you use a regular blade on metal, the aggresive angle of the teeth can pull the metal and throw it at you because it's thin.
so slice you up. hence liability and "officially don't do this".
abrasive blades is because generally abrasive blade saws go slower, spin an abrasive disc too fast and it explodes.
>>
Buy a $10 harbor freight angle grinder and a handful of 0.040" thick cut off discs.

Clamp a straight edge to the material and go to town.

A circular saw is a waste of time unless it's for metal cutting.
>>
I have cut aluminum soffits by putting a plywood blade in backwards, makes a nice cut, with no grabbing
>>
>>1072957
Should I wear safety glasses too, or do you think that's overdoing it?
>>
>>1074391
Using safety glasses around tools that fling metal, wood, and sometimes parts of the saw blade, are just a waste of time and money. I mean, really, what are the chances of those little things making it into you eye 1-2feet away from the cut.
>>
reciprocating saw with a straight edge clamped to the piece
>>
>>1073139
You can and I do, adapt 6" cutoff disks to circular saws with a couple of washers. Great for straight cuts. I have lots of angle grinders, recip saws, a Portabandand other tools but never used my circular saw accumulation so I tried it and love the result.

A 15 dollar used circular saw from a yard sale or Craigslist is fine. Don't force it, let the blade "float".

DO NOT use a recip saw for that shit. They wander.
>>
>>1072924
That specific one on the picture that u want to buy, don't. Don't ever buy that brand, i had a cordless drill of skil and while i was drilling in a 1ish cm thick metal plate the chuck just flew off and i landed with the palm of my hand on the drill bit which broke of either, skil is only there for suicidal purposes
>>
>>1074391
Nigger, you should be wearing safety glasses and earplugs anytime you use any power tool. Especially if you are using something like a saw
>>
>>1074687
>Don't ever buy that brand

Dont buy garbage tools.
Skil makes some good stuff.
>made in the USA
>magnesium body
>worm drive

Goat
>>
>>1074423
Risk outweighs the odds, just wear the damn goggles.
>>
>>1074691

Not if the circular saw has enough "balls".
>>
>>1074696
>Made in USA

Wrong

>Assembled in USA from parts made in China
>>
>>1074723
Bravo
Its been this way for 30 fucking years, only recently have they been getting anal among the legalities of COO labeling.
>>
lmao i once knew a guy who said he could cut metal roofing with a circular saw just by flipping the blade around. i have never in my life seen a worse cut edge.

OP buy/rent the right tool for the job
>>
>>1074391
Don't worry anon, I got the joke.

>>1074423
>>1074691
>>
>>1075211
Doing that DOES provide a use for old saw blades that have chipped teeth, but yeah the cut is shit and creates like 5x the noise.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.