[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Outdoor Workshop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

Is pic related a good option for an off-the-shelf temporary outdoor workshop?

It's $200 for a 10 x 20 canopy tent with a steel frame.

Would I have better luck putting something together with 2x4s and some plastic sheeting/plywood?

I'm just trying to protect my woodworking tools from the elements, at least until next year.
>>
>>1072713
It all comes down to how good the canvas material is. I've seen them start to come apart in under a year. I buddy of mine got an old surplus GP Medium army test for $500 and that thing has been out in the weather for almost 15 years without a problem. They are 16x32 feet. There are smaller ones out there.
>>
>>1072716
Seems like your buddy got a great deal for the GP Medium tent, can't seem to find them cheaper than $900 online.

The GP Small 17x17 is selling for about $500 which is still more than I'm willing to spend for a tent.

Thanks for your input, didn't know that some of these tents begin breaking down within a year.
>>
Seems like a really good way to get your shit stolen.
>>
>>1072721
He didn't buy it online. He got it from a local seller. It wasn't new but was in good condition.
>>
>>1072713
I had one and it stood the weather for a solid year and a half at least. Snow piling up on it and all that. I think it'll work well for temporary tool storage, assuming you live in an area where it won't get stolen. Go for it.
>>
>>1072747
Good to hear that it didn't collapse from the snow piling on the roof.
>>
>>1072713
>It's $200 for a 10 x 20 canopy tent with a steel frame.

I don't know about that particular model but I'm a fan of the Costco carport. Same price, same demensions. The costco version was the best built version in that price range. Absolutely the cheapest way to have that square footage. I priced out a thousand different ways to have a sturdy shade structure. There's really no other competition.

We used 2 of them side by side at Burning Man. Worked well.

A couple things to keep in mind and to keep it from flying off with the wind. Pound some rebar in the ground and put the legs over the rebar. This will help with lateral movement. Next, and most importantly, stake that fucker down. O had rebar stakes with rings welded on one side and pounded them into the ground. I used ratchet tie downs to connect the corners to the stakes. Held up to severe weather like a champ.

Since you'll be using it as a work shop you'll want to get everything off the floor. This is rare case where I suggest pallets. Get a bunch and use them as a sub floor. Cover with ply and it'll be good over the winter. If wind is a big concern you can tie ropes between the legs on the inside to take some of the load off the sidewall material.
>>
File: 91xmrKuVnoL._SL1500_.jpg (246KB, 1152x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91xmrKuVnoL._SL1500_.jpg
246KB, 1152x1500px
I buy new tarps each year and recover.(total)
Winds are my problem.
For the money ,the metal frame ,would make good hunting camp. Covered with metal barn siding.
>>
File: 754[1].jpg (49KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
754[1].jpg
49KB, 640x360px
>>1073477
>Covered with metal barn siding.

A few years ago a tree came down and took out the tarp roof of my carport. I used corrugated fiberglass panels ziptie'd to the frame. Worked really well for years before I finally took it down and gave it away.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.