[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Furnace Mix

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 05-The_Original_Lil_Bertha.jpg (33KB, 400x492px) Image search: [Google]
05-The_Original_Lil_Bertha.jpg
33KB, 400x492px
Guten Tag /diy/

So I'm getting together the materials to do some backyard metal melting and molds.

I've got access to a lot of metals and wish to turn them into ingots, mostly for the space

Now the problem is not the different furnace designs...I've already chosen a design to make.

The problem is the walls of the inner furnace. I can't find a single furnace wall mixture that everyone can agree on. Everyone has got their own recipes but which do I choose? which one can help me forge the ring of power in the bowels of Mt. Doom?

p.s. Not actually going to forge the ring of power...
>>
The metals I intend to melt down are
- Aluminum
- Copper
- Brass
- Silver

Don't need to go hotter than that if that helps
>>
>>1072514
I have the kit from Foundry101.com, and don't regret it. The walls are a ceramic insulation fixed to a wire mesh frame. The top is steel over ceramic insulation. The bottom is refractory, with a steel pipe tuyeer. The burner runs on Propane and is easy to start.

It's expensive, but I enjoy this far more than the charcoal one I made previously out of furnace cement and perlite.
>>
How much do you want to spend?

At the lowest cost end, its hard to go past a DIY mix of perlite and waterglass (sodium silicate), as that will last quite a few dozen burns - typically you'll end up damaging it through klutzness before it gets too heat damaged and you can buy enough material for several furnaces for around $50.

Perlite from the nearest hydroponics (or even garden) store, and waterglass either purchased or home made from that crystal kitty litter and caustic soda (see youtube for videos on making it).

That'll happily withstand brass melting temperatures, however once you get to copper/iron temperatures you'll probably start to notice faster erosion of the insides. Even so, you can repair it with a waterglass/fireclay mix.
>>
>>1072514
>Guten Tag
no hans go protect your women and children from the ahmeds stop melting shit
>>
Kieth Rucker made a furnace from scratch using refractory. He even set it up to have multiple fuel sources without doing any equipment changes, just switching of the fuel source.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbGC44mjwqrfDoRSYqU30bbfrJ0DGmsa0
>>
I want to make vacuum/pressurized (couple of Pa to 1Mpa) electrical furnace, 1000C tops.

Anyone have experience with this?

The useful volume doesnt have to be big, say a 20-40cm long cylinder with a 5-10cm diameter.

Also i was thinking of a cold-wall furnace, mostly because it would be the cheapest and easiest to make. I dont know how much the firebricks outgas and how much kanthal wire evaporates when under vacuum.

A hot wall is a no go, since heat resistant steel is fucking expensive. Also i dont know fuckall about the fatigue of the metal on high temperatures, i reall dont want it to explode in my face.
>>
>>1074107
>>>/pol/ containment breach detected
>>
File: forging.jpg (301KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
forging.jpg
301KB, 2560x1440px
>>1072514
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD0Em0TeMZc

I did a video on building what you need.

I forgot to mention what wire I used, but what you should be using is 22 gauge nichrome 80

https://www.temcoindustrial.com/nichrome-80-resistance-wire.html

You wana get 8.75 feet of that and make it into a coil. I need to post an updated video. I've had luck melting up to 1150 centigrade with that which is good for all those metals.
>>
>>1074425
INTE KUPPEN HENNAS PUSSAR
>>
Fireplace cement + perlite = cement that will protect up to 3000 degrees Fahrenheit.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.