[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

metal-bro needed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

I'm trying to make a zero clearance insert for a table saw. It is held in with screws that are sunk flush with the top by an indent.

How should I reproduce that effect for the new piece? I was thinking of putting it over a hole in a piece of wood, then going at it with a hammer.
>>
>>1072102

>Ya mang...that'll work real good...

Not. What are you trying to do? Keep the screw inset in the insert? If it is, why don't you simply countersink the screw?

No hammers required...
>>
>>1072102
Why can't you just drill a hole?
>>
>>1072102
You can buy a countersink that you just stick in the hole and hit with a hammer.
There's also multi-piece setups.
>>
>>1072113
If there is no room in the hole for the extruded portion and the bottom of the sheet metal has to be flat, than a countersink bit.
It has a different degree pitch than a drill bit so it matches countersunk screw heads.
>>
File: 1.en.jpg.cf.jpg (13KB, 400x305px) Image search: [Google]
1.en.jpg.cf.jpg
13KB, 400x305px
>>1072116
But you need proper thickness sheet metal for the corresponding screw to make it work.
>>
>>1072106
I am trying to sink the surface down in two spots just where the screws sit right under the level of the table

the screws have rounded heads, not flat, and the metal is not very thick, 16 guage or so...otherwise yes, I would countersink

>>1072107
a hole is not the problem, the top of the screws sitting flush is the problem, and for that to happen, there needs to be an indentation
>>
>>1072123
So drill the hole into the piece. Put the sheet metal over a soft pine board. Take a spare screw the same size as the one you need sunk down. And clamp the sheet metal to the wood piece. And drill the screw through the hole down into the wood real tight.. You will have a indent now?
>>
File: mister_slicey.jpg (175KB, 1230x495px) Image search: [Google]
mister_slicey.jpg
175KB, 1230x495px
>>1072137
I don't think that would be enough to deform the metal

here's the original
>>
File: Style 2 pd.jpg.cf.jpg (20KB, 400x429px) Image search: [Google]
Style 2 pd.jpg.cf.jpg
20KB, 400x429px
>>1072147
>put round part underneath
>put long part in hole on the topside.
>hit with hammer.
>find new countersunk screw to match
>shim with watchers if needed.
>>
>>1072155
how much do those things run?
>>
Literally any metal rod would work. Round the edges.
>>
>>1072157
$5 at harbor freight for a 3 piece kit.
>>
>>1072170
aww, nice

I needed to go there anyway to pick up a few things
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.