[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traditional Wood Finishes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: pineSap.jpg (119KB, 640x584px) Image search: [Google]
pineSap.jpg
119KB, 640x584px
Have any of you ever made your own wood finishes?

I'm trying to craft a few things just using locally found materials. I live in an area rich with pine trees so, naturally, Pine Tar was my go to finish over Shellac, or Linseed oils.

I've read what i could find on how to harvest/weather/and ultimately refine the stuff but I still wanted to hear /diy/'s thoughts.
>>
or you could just go buy some at the store for 5 bucks
>>
>>1072072
Slash pine is the best pine tree to get resin from.

Ive never tried to make a finish from it because I always thought that tar resin is just too damn sticky. The dried sap runs here when its over 95 degrees. So in hot areas I dont think it will be good.

But for below grade post setting. Using roofing tar on wooden post works great.
>>
>>1072073
I'll pass. its full of cancerous additives. I like my work Au naturale

I wouldn't be in /diy/ if i just wanted to buy garbage form the store.
>>
>>1072073
But he wants to diy it for fun.
>>
>>1072074
Yea I read that. The south used to export large quantities of pine tar to England when they still needed it for wooden boats.

I'm in the northwest, so I'll probably be doing experiments on the various pine species to find a best match.
>>
>>1072075
>its full of cancerous additives.
pine tar is probably carcinogenic too
>>
>>1072079
It is. Its full of Creosote. Not sue if its something that can be filtered out with the Turpentine that also gets made when you burn the tree.

But its still far less cancerous than the metallic driers they add. Its on par with the garbage they turned boiled linseed oil into. They even put a warning label on BLO now, for shame.
>>
If you're looking for stain, black walnut will take days to scrub off your hands after you touch one husk.
Good shit.
>>
File: 1327600934745.jpg (268KB, 899x634px) Image search: [Google]
1327600934745.jpg
268KB, 899x634px
>>1072073
>>
I would say Pokeberry if you wanted to be daring, but you don't have that up where you are. Many things can be used as a stain if combined with the right thinner (Denatured Alcohol, Acetone, mineral spirits, turpentine...)

Tobacco leaf soaked in turpentine to a dark brown color looks gorgeous on poplar and tiger maple, very stately on oak and plain, but.nice on pine.
>>
>>1072083

BLO is not a protected designation, you can get traditional poorly drying BLO if you really want. Manganese based driers don't seem so bad to me.
>>
>>1072175
I admit i buy organic BLO since raw flax seeds can't be found locally and theres no way in hell i could process enough in any amount for the price.

Ive been eyeing raw linseed oils simply because they age so gracefully, that deep red color makes me moist.

Where did you get the drier information? I don't recall seeing any on the bottle i hVe.
>>
>>1072072
fuck all that mess. After using MinWax and then MinWaxbrand Polyurethane, I would never go back to it.

Go sand your wood, get the dust off, and then dump Marine Varnish onto it. Fuckin amazing finish, durable, waterproof, and makes the wood look like a yellow emerald or tigers-eye

If its a gunstock you are talking about, go with 100% pure Tung oil - additive and preservative free. Do light coats and give it at least 3 days to dry between.
>>
>>1072302
Theres no tung trees in the us. Kinda makes it hard to gather your own materials and falls in line with the "just buy it" mentality
>>
>>1072072
I've made my own finish from Mineral Oil + melted candle wax. Worked great, keeps water out, but you have to reapply it every few weeks or so cuz it wears off. Maybe turpentine+beeswax for a more natural version. Make it in a double boiler, not directly on the stove, to prevent grease fires.
>>
>>1072072
I am currently trying out both pure carnauba wax and carnauba wax mixed with BLO for my knife handles, still struggling with application, butit seems that it works nicely.

but I bought both ingredients....
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.