[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup, faggots. Poorfag here who decided to buy cheap furniture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Sup, faggots. Poorfag here who decided to buy cheap furniture from that one cheap Polish home decor company and ended up breaking it in the first week. How do I go about fixing cheap Belgian furniture wood?

Pic related: First pic is of right side where the piece broke off.
>>
>>1072032
Remove the staples. Replace wood. Glue and clamp.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Second pic: left side of Point Break... starring Keanu Reeves, Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore.
>>
Yeah it looks like you just need to whack that block back in and replace the strut. Use wood glue if you're feeling ambitious.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1072034
Replace all the wood? Fuck that, cheap ass thing will just fall apart.

Third pic: How the wooden piece should attach on both sides (minus the black metal legs).
>>
>>1072041
No you numb nuts the piece that broke. Or if its not broken in half just glue and nail it back in.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1072039
I'm not too sold on the strut replacement. I was actually considering reinforcing all the unbroken parts because it's built so damn cheaply.

Fourth pic: Pic is of the 'bottom' legs right side. It's exactly how the top should look, if the wooden piece attached to the legs was unbroken.
>>
>>1072045
If you want to reinforce it just add more struts of some sort. 8in rips of particle board would work, just screw em into the rails on it. If you expected great furniture from ikea you scammed yourself.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1072044
Well shit, why didn't you say so? It's not broken in half, but the left side of the piece is kinda splintered, pic related.

Fifth pic: there's that unholy bitch who couldn't do its job. Now it just lies there content in its failure.
>>
>>1072032

Go to store, say it wasn't fit for purpose, demand they fix it.
>>
>>1072049
>Well shit, why didn't you say so?

Because that's a different anon. I didn't say so because it should have been pretty obvious. There's nothing really special to do. If you think it broke because it was fastened in a shitty manner (it was) then when you repair it, it will be better than when you bought it. If it broke because someone is a fat ass then add on some flat metal corner brackets and flat metal T brackets.
>>
diagonal or flush cutters on the staples if you cant pry them out from above. then some wood glue and screws. (try to get actual construction screws that can hold weight if you can, not drywall screws) Tee bracket if you want to spend the extra buck on each end.
If it was me, I'd add tee or ell brackets to the remaining joints.
I hate that staple only shit. Why can't they just add the extra 10 cents per product to just use a small dot of glue before staples?
>>
Polish? Aren't they swedes?
>>
There is nothing there structurally to prevent the legs from tilting from perpendicular to the floor? Thats some shit. Either add a U bracket, like a deck hanger but no flanges at the ends to the wood/metal joint, or put wood beam across length of it, perpendicular to and between the legs, or add thicker beams parallel against each metal to wood interface.

If thats supposed to be a couch, chair, or foot stool, thats dumb as hell to expect there not to be any torsion force without anything bracing the legs with regards to the horizontal axis
>>
You should try sticking that sharp piece up your ass. Should fix the problem.

t. Engineer
>>
>>1072160
L2read they're clearly Belgian
>>
>>1072032
>How do I go about fixing cheap Belgian furniture wood?
slimfast diet?

>>1072207
I thought IKEA was from Holland?
>>
File: ur fugged.png (365KB, 658x424px) Image search: [Google]
ur fugged.png
365KB, 658x424px
>>1072041
>Made in China
>IKEA
really? wtf...
>>
>>
>>1072032
Ikea furniture is generally a terrible investment, the moment you buy it, it's value plummets, you'd be better off to buy furniture at auction, I bought a solid wood sideboard last week for $150, I checked online and brand new it's worth $2000, I could keep it for 20 years and as long as I keep it in good condition it will be worth more than I paid for it, try doing that with Ikea furniture.
>>
>>1073041
terrible investment sure, but I can just walk in to ikea any day of the week and get a table that matches my nightstand for $10, and will still last for years.

no need to invest time and freeze my capital for a simple piece of furniture that fulfills its function
>>
>>1073041
...Do people buy furniture as an investment?
>>
>>1073189
My parents have a hardwood table that's passed through 3 generations, and will likely last longer than that as long as something catastrophic doesn't happen to it.
>>
>>1072458
TPP. nobody makes anything but china anymore.
>>
>>1073189

Not in the literal sense of putting your money in it in the hope that it will appreciate in value so that you will turn a profit.
>>
>>1072032
This is why you dont fuck fatties
>>
>>1073210
likewise, my mum has a dining table from early settlement that im hoping to inherit when she kicks the bucket
>>
>>1073189
Investment may not be the right term but what is being said is that is you buy cheap shitty Ikea furniture you should expect it to break the first time you move home or even just move your furniture, whereas slightly more expensive furniture will generally be better built and able to stand up to the rigours of everyday life, and that it will be around for your kids to inherit one day or sell should you need to, personally I've taken to buying some second hand furniture as it means I'm getting something a little more interesting and I'm not going to see the same piece in another persons home.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.