[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's that flimsy board inside?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

File: wall-1.jpg (3MB, 3088x4160px) Image search: [Google]
wall-1.jpg
3MB, 3088x4160px
Removed a beam (been supporting something no longer needed), now I have a gap in the wall - whoever installed it, just cut the stucco (and partially the studs). Need to restore the wall now, but I'm puzzled with the material under the stucco (pic related). It looks and feels just like a soundboard, falls apart if pressed with just fingers, but its black.

What kind of material is this? If this helps, this part of the wall is about 8" above a single garage door, southern exposure.
>>
File: wall-2.jpg (2MB, 3088x4160px) Image search: [Google]
wall-2.jpg
2MB, 3088x4160px
And another angle for context.
>>
>>1071759
That might be asbestos and depending on how much you handled it you may have exposed yourself to substatintial amounts of asbestos that can cause lung cancer years down the line and made the surrounding area dangerous.
>>
That's definitely asbestos. I kinda hope this is a troll post.
>>
>>1071759
>>1071760
http://www.asbestoswise.com.au/information-and-resources/asbestos-removal-and-safe-handling/#home
>>
File: 1429803505012.jpg (39KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
1429803505012.jpg
39KB, 340x340px
>>1071766
>>1071762
>>1071793

Hello asbestos my old friend.....come to shred my lungs up again. Silent in the air....deadly as can be.

Kek. So now that OP is going to die in a decade or two how do you know to cut into a wall or not? Asbestos is bad and I don't want to breathe it in.

Obviously age of the building has to so with asbestos presence but do you drill a core sample or what?
>>
It's likely just a regular old fiberboard sheathing material.
>>
>>1071914
Yeah definitely. I'd go in and hammer it up as much as possible. No need for a respirator either since it's biodegradable.
>>
>>1071809
Yeah if you want to be sure you take a sample and send it to a lab.
>>
http://inspectapedia.com/structure/Fiberboard_Sheathing_Asbestos.php

Looks like blackboard/ fiberboard that I can find never actually contained asbestos aside from any dust from a plant that had also done asbestos.
Are you not going to put fiberboard back when fixing it? Higher R value than plywood since it has pockets of air and loose fibers.

Not a bad idea to wear a dust mask regardless of asbestos. The stucco itself will get into you as fine dust, aside from any loose black board.
>>
If you are worried about gap and want to remove any loose stucco plaster on top of the fiberboard, just use a putty knife/ 5-in-1 to knock the chunks off. If you want to cut use knife/boxcutter/etc. If you are going to use a saw on any of that stuff, use something with low TPI/ big teeth so you don't stir up fine dust, and slow.
Wear some glasses at least. Shit like that gets in your eyes and stays there screwing with you for the day or so.
>>
>>1071759
100% asbestos, congrats you're fucked. you're gonna have to pay tens of thousands to get it all removed AND likely end up with cancer in a couple of decades
>>
OP is already kill. Asbestoses went to work quick on the poor soul.
>>
>>1071759
Well... shit OP. Honesty, looking at that picture, I can confirm that that is indeed asbestos and you are already on the way to lung cancer and death. At this point, I would recommend just selling your house and exploring the world during the few years you have left.

t. hazardous materials cleanup officer
>>
http://m.homedepot.com/p/PRO-LAB-Asbestos-Test-Kit-AS108/202731785
>>
>>1072169
You mean wear a respirator to tear it out and light it up in a desert bonfire party you stay 100 feet from.
>>
asbestos is so bad, but in the recent TOH episode when they ripped some out, they simply put it in trash bags and took it a dump since it's considered "building materials"
>>
>>1072236
One of very few sane voices here. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>1072309
Not so fast.

Same product on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Lab-AS108-Asbestos-Yourself-Test/dp/B000DZDSII/

From comments:

Question: Is this a do it yourself test kit?
Answer: No. You take a sample of the stuff in question and send it off to a lab. You also must pay a fee of $40 for the lab to process the stuff in question.
>>
>>1072313
Right, however, it's cheaper than having someone come out. I'm not recommending the specific product, just that he get a test done to determine if it's asbestos. There are other test kits out there.
>>
>>1072238
>asbestos
>light it up in a desert bonfire
Wut.
Anon, put down the drugs; you've had too many, and they've turned you into a potato. Holy fuck.
>>
>>1072238
Shockingly retarded
>>
>>1071759
lotta trolling up in this thread.

It's asphalt fiberboard, used as the water barrier under the stucco. You don't see any Tyvek under there do you? Well, they had to use something.
>>
File: IMG_20161020_175541.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161020_175541.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Not OP but...
Can someone identify this? I thinks its asbestos but what i have read online you can't identify it by looking at it. So just a guess? Maybe some of you have experience with it?
>>
File: IMG_20161020_175551.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161020_175551.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1073386
Pic 2
>>
>>1073386
>>1073389
That's asbestos. Any time an old house has shit wrapped around pipes like that it's most likely asbestos. If you don't fuck with it it's fine though.
>>
File: asbestos2.png (367KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
asbestos2.png
367KB, 500x447px
>>1073389
>>1073386
Its most likely asbestos, it was extremely common back then.

It only hurts you when it becomes airborne dust.

Why did someone saran wrap all your pipes?
>>
>>1073427
It was my dad after he removed the asbesto... I told him it may be asbestos, he had a theory that it would keep in whats left of it....
>>
>>1073392
Yep that's definitely hot.
>>
>>1073386
>>1073389
>le sewer pipe coated in asbestos meme
don't listen to the experts. That's glass wool. Every commie block in here had tons of this shit around the pipes in the basement. It's there for thermal insulation for hot pipes and anti-freezing insulation for the cold ones.
It's shit if you rub it on your skin, because itches for days but it's definitely not the "asbestos meme"
>>
>>1073435
Its not a horrible idea
>>
>>1074235
If his house was built before the early 90s, its most likely Asbestos.
Also it looks nothing like old glass wool
>>
Looks like tar paper.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161022-225821.png (357KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161022-225821.png
357KB, 1440x2560px
>>1074254
The house was built around the 1950s, southern sweden
>>
>>1073386
Man made mineral fibre
>>
File: AsbestosPaperAndCorrogated.jpg (192KB, 496x772px) Image search: [Google]
AsbestosPaperAndCorrogated.jpg
192KB, 496x772px
Whatever it is, the best thing to do is mix wood glue and water, dilute until it can be sprayed in a strong mist. Make sure you aren't going to cause actual impact to the substance in question, in other words, spray a piece of news paper to test. If the newspaper gets wetted without being pushed away, you're ok. But if newspaper is being blown or pushed away by the spray, its too strong or you are too close.

Spray suspect material with light layers of glue/water mix. Allow enough time to dry, hours or a day, add another layer, dry, repeat. In a couple of days, you should have it sealed and soaked into. That will protect the outside from being damaged easily and making dust, and the glue that soaked in will help hold together the material itself.

The idea with asbestos is to not disturb it.
Don't use fans or blowers unless you have industrial equip and hazmat stuff.
Don't use strong streams of water on it.
Don't cause any mechanical damage to it.

If you like even more safety, you can add loose wraps of newspaper to glue onto it, but don't do anything that will stress the material by trying to do it tightly.

And paper looking asbestos pipe insulation is one of the few things that does scare me. You look at the shit too strongly or walk by it causing a draft, it can start getting into the air.
pic related
>>
>>1071762
>lung cancer from asbestos
>>
>>1075229
Im not sure what you think Mesothelioma is.
Its a cancerous tumor in your lungs in the mesothelia lining.
>>
Guys the mans that got cancer from asbestos were
Asbestos miners
Workers that sanded asbestos there whole work live

Anon wil not get cancer from looking inside his wall

But if he removes it he should wear a mask
>>
>>1075933
Well that's not true. Hvac people, construction workers, office workers and even school kids got it just from being around it.

My friend just got diagnosed with it after living in a shitty apartment for about 4 years. They had him sign a waiver about it before he moved in and about six months ago he started coughing up blood.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.