[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

10 extra circuits in my car, wat do /diy/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

So I'm rewiring my car (1972 Datsun 240Z) with a "universal" 22 circuit wiring harness kit from E-Z Wiring, and with all my stock equipment in, I'm only using 12 circuits.

That leaves me with a looooot of loom and room to play with.

I've already sourced a two-tone siren, and I have my greatest Pick-N-Pull find, an F.I.A.M.M dual trumpet horn with compressor for like $6. Sounds like a train horn.

Regardless, I still have 10 more circuits to play with. What should I install?

>pic related, what's she's getting terrifyingly close to looking like
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (324KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
324KB, 1920x1080px
I'm thinking of installing some POV lights on the front grill, near the top of the windshield inside the car and the top of the hatch glass inside the car. Because if I have to get anywhere quickly for whatever emergency reason, I want to do it as safely as possible, which means being as lit up and loud as possible. Yes, it might land me a misdemeanor, but if it means other drivers will be in a safer position, I will do it.
>>
File: tracker-1.jpg (12KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
tracker-1.jpg
12KB, 300x300px
I was also thinking of hard wiring one of these SIM card GPS trackers in there, so I don't have to worry about it dying on me. This thing'll be worth about $15k when I'm done, so I'd hate for Jamal to steal it in the night (if he can get past my ignition cut off, battery cut off, fuel cut off, ignition breaker, and wheel lock that is) and not have a way to track it.
>>
>>1071299
>misdemeanor
Sure hope you check with a lawyer before wiring up lights and sirens. Impersonating a police officer is a felony in a number of states.
>>
>>1071304
in my state, having the lights and siren isn't illegal, using it is. And there is an extenuating circumstance clause, which bumps the impersonation felony down to a non-violent misdemeanor. So I'm comfortable with the risk, at least in my state.
>>
>>1071303
Good idea but make sure you get a 3g one as 2g is being switched off almost everywhere over the next few years.
>>
completely custom electronic door locks
https://youtu.be/r0wMIF6EPfY?t=15m28s
>>
>>1071305
But what about the risk of everyone thinking you are a complete fucking faggot
>>
>>1071342
eh, if it lessens the risks of me becoming a real faggot in prison against my will because someone died on the highway, I'll take it.

>>1071306
awesome, thanks for the advice

>>1071321
electronic door locks
nigga I ain't shavings the sexy as fuck manual locks
>>
>>1071295
Can you even call it a car if it doesn't have a Dixie Horn?
>>
>>1071295
>10 extra circuits to play with
1. dual front seat power points
2. heated seats
3 fog/driving lights
4 power antenna
5 electric hatch release
6 power point in the trunk/hatch for electric cooler/warmer
7 underhood light
8 underbody "neonz"
9 interior "neonz"
10 amps? im out of ideas
>>
>>1071425
Going to second the fog lights and under hood lights. Nothing like being able to see.
>>
>>1071425
-built-in/integrated USB ports to charge devices
-heated seats
-massaging seats
-fog lights
-rear backup lights (for reversing in the dark)
-integrated laser diffuser and radar detector (illegal in some states)
-power inverter hidden to charge devices
-amplifiers for 2000w stereo system
-Interior accent lighting (ford, Jag, Lexus, and Merc use these, they're dim colored LEDs to gently light up areas such as the center console, door handles, foot wells, and trunk space. But its super dim and only when the headlights are on)
-exhaust butterfly valve to bypass mufflers for extra loudness
-nitrous kit
-replace analog dashboard with a digital one
-fiber optic roof liner with constellations (high end maybachs, bentlys, and rolls use this)
-hard wired dash cam

Just remember its easy to take a decent car and fuck it up by customizing it too much.
>>
>>1071425
>>1071453
Okay ya need to take about 20% off the top there, bud

I like the inverter idea and the USB ports, and I'm gonna have rally lights by the front grill for sure, so that fixes the fog light issue. And the rear lights for backing up? Genius. The laser diffuser is gonna be researched, and I already was gonna have a Valentine-1 setup for the radar. Plus the dashcam was a no brainer.

But I enjoy the analog gauges. The simple seats, the two speaker system, the basic center console.

But this is a sports car of a bygone era, where things were simple and light weight. The "low gas" light was a novelty for the time. So I guess I'm going for hidden, yet useful things that don't take away from the overall ambiance and feel of the driving experience. Cm
>>
>>1071548
I know its a lot of pie in the sky shit on my list (second post), but thats the idea of idea threads. Throw everything at the OP and see what sticks. Also, part of making an old car new again is adding modern features. While it is easy to over-restore a car, adding creature comforts and amenities is fine when done correctly. For example, the hardest part about heated seats is mounting the switch to make it look like it belongs there.

My dad got a couple LED flood lights that turned on whenever the truck was in reverse, and they were about as bright as headlights on high beam. Made backing up in dark parking lots of fields like seeing in daylight. It also made the backup camera useful when it was dark. His laser diffuser and radar detector had the indicator lights built into the dash, so the lights only lit up the speedo area, and had a switch to disable it as it was less than legal to use.

The trickest USB and power outlet install i've seen was a flush mounted USB port that was simply a hole in the plastic paneling. It was glassed or epoxied behind the panel so it was firmly in place, but there was no trim or bezel. Made it so the cable looked like it was plugged directly into the car panel, not some special port. However there are many 12v kits to make installs on any vehicle a breeze.

Does the car have airconditioning? you should add that.

-Add flood lights to the door to see as you're getting in and out of the car
-Ford has some really cool lighted door sill plates too, check those out
If you need electrical help, DIY could probably help, if nothing else post some pics of what you're doing so you can show you're actually doing something diy.
>>
File: 1426491796035.jpg (217KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1426491796035.jpg
217KB, 1200x1600px
>>1071569
>Does the car have airconditioning? you should add that.
no no no no no, I don't want that parasitic loss and weight if I don't need it (and I don't)

I was thinking sort of more spy shit sorta, like on the lines of the lights and sirens, maybe a hidden trap door, pic related; stuff that might be useful and maybe semi-legal but cool none the less. Not really into creature comforts, I'd be driving this car to get away from that stuff.

That said, your mention about the Ford sill lights is intriguing, I will have to look into that.

I was also maybe thinking of integrating some active aerodynamics or some sort, with a rear spoiler that looks like a standard 432R spoiler, but tilts according to your speed, to provide more down force. That would be a hell of a lot of work, though.

Oh yeah, and I also need to think about a concealed compartment to hide a gun in. That's a must as well.
>>
>>1071587
You really need to talk to a lawyer before you do any of this.
>>
>>1071590
having it on the vehicle (or at least the provision for it) isn't illegal. The shotgun-hood pic would be illegal if the shotgun was actually mounted (and used on public roads), but the provision and mounting brackets/plates and controls for it would be completely legal.
>>
>>1071590

The early Z, stock already has many hidey holes. from the factory..

Like the two toolboxes behind the seats.
>>
Pull the windshield washer pump and tank out of just about any other car.

Wire the pump in to a concealed switch, route the pump outlet to wherever a stream of liquid could be most entertainingly aimed.

Spray the irritating bicyclists as you go by, spray the fucker riding your ass on the freeway...
>>
>>1071587
So this is a troll thread?

>no no no no no, I don't want that parasitic loss and weight if I don't need it (and I don't)
Well its got your fat ass in the front seat, whats another 20lbs of A/C?
>>
>>1071615
The L24 makes about 100 horsepower with a stiff tailwind, he's probably afraid he won't be able to get up to highway speeds.
>>
>>1071615
You underestimate thd weight if an A/C system. With a condenser, evaporator, lines, and other ancillary items, you're getting close to 40lbs.

Also, I've swapped out my 4 belt pulley for a 2 belt pulley for less rotating mass on the crankshaft.
>>
>>1071623
Regardless, 40lbs on a 3000+ pound car is minimal at best.
>>
>>1071625
Careful you just triggered his autism. He's going to tell you every one of his weight savings under the stock 2300lbs
>>
>>1071625
early Z's are ~2400 lbs.
Having owned some of the early ones, they are well ventilated, and unless you retrofit a very modern AC system, the OEM AC was pretty mediocre. You were better served opening the vents and cracking the windows.

I fully understand "Dat L24"'s hesitance to install an AC.
>>
>>1071625
....she weights 2,300lbs. With me in it, 2,485.
>>
>>1071628
Oh fuck you're right

>>1071629
>>1071630
My fault, 40lb AC system in a 2500ish pound car is 1.6%. Thats gonna make your weekly trip to the foodmart un-possible.
>>
OP should drill holes in the body of the car to reduce weight for optimal track performance
>>
Not necessarily an electrical thing, but you should get those hydraulic hood struts for your car.
>>
>>1071637
too heavy
would make car too slow
might not make it up hills
>>
>>1071342
Oh fuck I giggled
>>
>>1071632

My last "old " car weighed a bit over 4000 pounds, and had an AC compressor the size of a small engine.

His car, his build, and I understand him wanting it to be AC free.
All the old Z cars I had, did not have AC, but that was northern Michigan, where AC is not very useful.

Personally I don't agree, but beating him over the head about it is not doing much good.

Let the guy build what he wants.
>>
>>1071303
If youre concerned about resell value dont add 10 stupid ass circuits for the sake of filling up the panel. Some things, even if they werent stock would be practical. under hood lights are a god send(especially on old cars) but things like massaging seats are gimmicky. Dont get me wrong, a lot of that stuff would be really cool and make a nice ride, but I wouldnt expect anything that takes the car away from stock to not also drastically reduce the value. A potential buyer will very likely either have the mentallity of it being one more thing to go wrong or one more thing they have to spend money on to restore.

All that being said post pics when youre done, you got my interest. Sounds like a solid project.
>>
File: 1334629763937.jpg (73KB, 385x385px) Image search: [Google]
1334629763937.jpg
73KB, 385x385px
>>1071628
>>1071632
>>
>>1071646
AC compressors are about the size of a large alternator and are the heaviest single part of the system at about 10 lbs. The rest of it is aluminum tubing, and aluminum radiators.

Me personally, when its hot and humid, I don't mind the power and economy hit to keep comfortable. I'm in socal where an AC is really only needed for about a month out of the year, so I understand not wanting to spend thousands on something you'll rarely use. But if you go to resell it, its going to help resale, and if you ever take it to a place (or live in a place) that needs AC, you will thank your lucky stars you've got it.

I'm not beating him over the head about it, but saying 40lbs is too much weight to add to a car is a silly argument. Groceries are easily 20lbs, add a girl at 140lbs, or maybe some tools to a job site at 50 lbs, its a trivial amount of weight that even golf carts don't suffer from.
>>
>>1071653
Modern AC systems are.

The ones that Z cars came with were quite a bit larger. You're probably used to the compact Sandens or other pancake compressors, I'm guessing you have not seen a big York or Tecumseh piston type, or one of the big Frigidaire "bombs" outside of a classroom or a old tech manual.

They used to be a LOT bigger, and the components were concurrently heavier. The things used to be so massive you could self purge and evacuate if the pump was sound.

All that aside, I would personally install a VintageAire system, just for the ease of potentially reselling the thing and helping it defrost better. But that's me, not the guy building the car in question.

Again, his car, his build. Badgering the guy to install AC when he's not interested is not really helping.

Which is (was) kind of the point of /diy/, correct?
>>
>>1071663
Why in the blue hell would he not use an aftermarket AC system that works well, doesn't require scrounging junkyards for parts, and will know it works? With technological advances, why use old shit that doesn't work very well?

We already know he's used an aftermarket, universal wiring kit, why wouldn't he use an aftermarket kit for this car?
>>
>>1071651

Thinfs that would help in an old Z.

Back up/rear view fisheye camera. they do have some pretty large blindspots.

Larger reverse lamps.

Better interior lighting. Not for the IP, but for lighting the actual interior. The old Z's never really had a good map light or dome lamp.
>>
>>1071665
>why wouldn't he use an aftermarket kit for this car?

Because he doesn't want AC.
Simple enough.
>>
>>1071669
I'm no longer pressing the issue with OP, I am indifferent if another operator does not want comfort items. I'm pressing the issue with those saying old AC systems were large and heavy and would add too much weight to this vehicle.
>>
>>1071651
I'm concerned about insurance value, not resale; this won't be for sale as long as I can help it.

>>1071653
With a NEWER system. One which *still* needs at least a three belt crank pulley, which I don't have and don't want to put on.
>>
>>1071670

Old systems were large and heavy, and removing them for a number of reasons (some valid, some not) was pretty common, depending on where you lived.
>>
>>1071295
If it hasn't been said. A good backup camera could take up two of your extra ports?
>>
>>1071706
this is definitely getting added
>>
>>1071939
Pa system with a cheap soundboard? General sounds or statements that might make it easier to communicate with other drivers. Personally I'm thinking "Asshole!" "Move it, Grandpa!" Gunshots, a pig squealing, "get off my ass!" And the rarely used "Thank you."
>>
>>1071960
yeah I'll probably skip that, but a PA system with a cable mic in the car wouldn't be a bad idea at all, me thinks.

And I just remembered one of the most important things: my ham radio. I've got a general license, so I should probably grab a Baofeng BF-9500 and shove it in the glove box. Now I just need to think of ways to mount an antenna non-permanently that won't scratch my $200 paint job.
>>
File: DSC01808.jpg (138KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01808.jpg
138KB, 640x480px
I had the same dilemma with my 72 240Z, So I gutted the whole thing and added a few of my own twists, I need to craft an alternator mount is about the last thing, placement is tight too
>>
File: DSC01999.jpg (501KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01999.jpg
501KB, 1920x1080px
440 HP, I had to put disc brakes all the way around, 350LT1 out of a 95 vette
this 44 year old frame never went that fast in its life ;)
>>
File: DSC01805.jpg (134KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01805.jpg
134KB, 640x480px
..and here's the overall exterior of it, it will end up w/ a bumble bee paint job, Yellow & Black ;) If I ever get it done, this is year # 6 in Nov, It will be legally on the road by 2017 if i gotta sell the house..lol
>>
File: h4sIoIy.jpg (73KB, 530x498px) Image search: [Google]
h4sIoIy.jpg
73KB, 530x498px
>>1072089
>>1072094
>>1072096
Nice.
>>
>>1072096
>>1072094
>>1072089
You are literally my boomer fathers old plans for the car before he sold it to me. And it's BLUUUUUGH
But hey, whatever floats your boat.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (270KB, 1311x1000px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
270KB, 1311x1000px
Bamp
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.