[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dock

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: dock.png (7KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
dock.png
7KB, 800x600px
Hey /diy/ thinking of building a dock. I have a lake in my backyard and the water levels have dropped pretty low this winter so I'm thinking now is my chance to build a dock.
I have the basic idea of what I want, I'm not going to worry about side rails yet.

My plan so far is:
>16'x8' base
>3 front supports 2'
>3 back supports 1'

The place I'm putting the supports in is about 2' below the water line and I'm going to dig a hole and fill it with concrete to put the support beam in, I feel I should get maybe a 3' or 4' support beam though.

pic related to give you all visual.
Any suggestions or things I should know about?
I have until maybe March at the latest to complete the dock so no rush.
>>
>>1071133
Every property around me has at least one pond.
One thing they have in common, rickity docks.
If you just want like 2-3 years, wood supports will work.
If you want something that will last, do solotubes and concrete.

They're just cardboard tubes of various diameters and lengths that you can buy at home improvement stores (only one use).
Buy 4'x9" tubes
Dig hole.
Stick bottom of tube in it.
Level all tops of tubes to same height.
Fill with concrete (add reinforcement if you can).
Drill concrete for brackets after it cures or put anchors in before it sets (I put anchors in first).
>>
>>1072240
*Sonotube
Sorry.
>>
/diy/ hates the water they are a land folk
>>
>>1072240
You will need a longer tube than 4 ft. You probably want 4 ft in the ground/ below grade. Then based on hwm go up. Remember you will need to calculate the buoyancy forces acting on the platform vs friction of foundation pile. The pile should also be able to not be pulled out but the boat. Also ice buildup under the dock is a consideration. I have professionally been involved in large harbor and dock designs but the same principles apply.
>>
>>1074155
You will and should calculate in an engineered way all the forces and materials to use.w without soil data I could not say exactly how deep you should go.
>>
You're a scrub Zack.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.