[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plywood precision cutting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: PLYWOOD MACHINED COMPONANTS.jpg (83KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
PLYWOOD MACHINED COMPONANTS.jpg
83KB, 800x533px
I know there are billions of laser cutting companies out there to which you can simply send vector drawings of whatever, but most of them are for small stuff and for 6mm thick board at most.

What should I do when I need to precisely cut a load of plywood?

I bought the plans for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZlFU7DjYZQ
and I don't trust myself to cut everything exactly to the millimeter.
>>
>>1070466
you can cut everything bigger and than sand it down slowly until you hit the exact millimetre you want
>>
CNC router would do it pretty quick
>>
>>1070466
I wouldn't get hungup on millimetres.
It's wood, wood is forgiving.

It's not like you plan flying the portable workstation to the moon is it?
>>
>>1070475
I'm just overly autistic about detail.
Maybe I'll go with >>1070467
>>
File: images[1].jpg (6KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
images[1].jpg
6KB, 240x180px
>>1070476
did you know wood expand and contract over the seasons? your 300mm will be 306mm in the summer and 291mm in the winter?
>>
>>1070477
No it won't
>>
>>1070466
>What should I do when I need to precisely cut a load of plywood?
If you just need straight lines, then you use a clamp-on straight edge as a cutting guide for whatever power saw or router you have.
Tool places sell cutting guides, or you can just use a straight piece of aluminum beam and a couple c-clamps.

If you mean that you want to cut smooth curvy swoopy shapes, then you need a CNC solution.

For fairly thin boards there are the CNC routers. You can buy or build these at least big enough to cut up a 4 x 8 foot sheet of plywood.

There is also CNC milling machines modified specifically for wood use, tho this would be an extreme solution.
The usual differences between a wood-cutting mill and a metal-cutting mill are-
1. the wood cutting mill will have a spindle that is geared up to turn at roughly 2-3X as fast as the metal-cutting one does.
2. the wood-cutting mill won't have a cutting fluid system included, instead it will have a sawdust vacuum system.

A couple years ago Grizzly used to offer a Bridgeport-style CNC wood mill, but I do not see it on their website now.
>>
>>1070498
>CNC.

Just use a router and template.
>>
>>1070477
Not as true for plywood
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.