[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cleaning rust off hammer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1105.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1105.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Whats the best way to clean the rust off this estwing? I got it for $5 off a guy who had it sitting outside for a while.
>>
>>1070316

Pee on it? maybe?
>>
>>1070316
if your in a hurry get some muriatic acid from hardware store
if not distilled white vinegar works just as well, just takes forever
>>
>>1070316
It's a hammer. Oil it, wipe it off, put it back in the toolbox.
>>
Why would you pay $5 for a old rusty hammer? What makes it special?
>>
>>1070318
should i soak it in the acid?
>>
>>1070323
why would i pay $5 for a $40 hammer? its an estwing, this will be in my family longer than my last name
>>
>>1070316
citric acid in water soak overnight

then wirewool to make it polished and nice
>>
>>1070318
Seconding.

>>1070327
Yes, it will turn black. It takes a long time depending on the strength of the acid you are using. Just scrub it clean and try again if it isn't long enough. You can do this with a water mixture of molasses too since that will have weak muriatic acid. That takes a couple days. if you need it RIGHT NOW then use electrolysis instead.
>>
>>1070316
Do you have access to a media blaster? If not, then
>>1070331
>citric acid in water soak overnight
>then wirewool to make it polished and nice
>>
>>1070316
Why do you need to clean the rust off though? A rusty hammer is just as good at being a hammer.
>>
>>1070339
i dont need it clean, i just like to keep my tools in good condition
>>
>>1070335
>>1070336
thanks for the suggestions
>>
>3 threads a week about rust removal
Jesus Christ.

Here are some easy options:
>vinegar
>evap-o-rust (my favorite)
>wire wheel

I buy a lot of rusty tools, and $5 for a ~20oz Estwing framing hammer is a good deal if the face, handle, and claws are fine. I would gladly pay $5. I might try to jew him down to $3 or $4 though.

Anyway, I like to use evap-o-rust first and then lightly run the tool over the wire wheel on my 8" bench grinder. You can go straight to the bench grinder, but it takes a long time depending on the condition of the tool. I think stuff comes out nicer when I don't need to rape it on the wire wheel. Scotch brite also works well, but I'm too lazy unless it's something really nice. When I'm doing hand planes I won't use the wire wheel unless it's really nasty.

>>1070339
Using a nice tool is rewarding. Cleaning a rusty tool is also rewarding. Restoring tools is rewarding.

Stop being a faggot.

>>1070336
>media blaster
Pain in the ass and few people have a blast cabinet laying around. You can easily make a venturi media blaster (use baking soda) with an air gun and some plastic tube. I've done it before to use on chromed parts. It's otherwise not very practical.
>>
>>1070316
Electrolysis.
>>
>>1070316
Just get a wire wheel and grind it all off
It should clean up real nice
>>
Vinegar is popular with the bmx crowd to restore classics.
Its a "weak" acid and non toxic so no issues there.
But check often, don't leave it overnight without seeing how it's doing.
Use a scotchbrite pad once its soaked for an hour and see how its doing.
Its possible to wind up with a bucket of nothing if you forget about it- it will continue eating the steel until there's nothing left (all acids)
>>
>>1070316
Its a fucking hammer, you arent going to hurt it.

Get sanding on it
>>
>>1070316
Garage trick is to use ATF fluid.
Just soak it overnight
>>
>>1070329

Your last name doesn't even belong to you cuckspawn.
>>
evaporust
>>
Use it.

Otherwise rub some used motor oil on it and fling it in the corner of the shop.
>>
>>1070329
Estwings are still made in In the USA down in Illinois.
Good hammers, but they only costs 20-25$ new.
Dont exaggerate.

Still, you can never have too many hitting sticks
>>
>>1070353
Electrolysis is the best way by far
>>
If you want cheap and easy, vinegar bath sitting for a few days.
Electrolysis will probably do a cleaner job of it, but nothing beats the ease of buying a $1 disposable tray at dollar store and a $3 gallon of vinegar.
>>
File: 1460659486294.gif (188KB, 550x400px) Image search: [Google]
1460659486294.gif
188KB, 550x400px
>>1070322
this or
>>1070355
this or
>>1070381
this
>>
>>1070316
Soak it in Coca-Cola
>>
File: estwing hdp.png (95KB, 1409x753px) Image search: [Google]
estwing hdp.png
95KB, 1409x753px
>>1070587
im not exaggerating when i say theyre $40 hammers, i just want this to last as long as i can make it
>>
>>1070750
chill out bro, most of these kids have never swung a hammer before.
>>
>>1070750
They are literally 26$ on Amazon.
I paid 21$ for a 20oz straight claw rubber handled one at a brick and mortar bot too long ago.
Even the leather handled ones are less than 40$
>>
>>1070335
>>1070342
doesn't turn black if you're careful. let it soak in vinegar for 15 min intervals and scrub with a non scratchy dish scrub until all the rust is off. it's surprisingly quick.
>>
>>1070316
Get an angle grinder and buy a flap disk or a grind wheel
>>
>>1070750

Aside from the name. What makes that shit worth that money?
>>
>>1070777
American company, american made, quality full steel handle, shaped neck for anti-vibration. In short its not worth $40 unless you really want a tool that will literally last forever. A full shank steel hammer with a leather handle isn't very common; head to home depot and just look at all the plain wood handles, and plastic grips. A $2 wood handle hammer made in china will drive nails just as good as an estwing. Then again, its a fucking hammer, its literally a stick and a large weight, anything properly used will last longer than you'll ever use it for.

OP, the easiest route would be to take it to a wire wheel, put a little oil on the steel, and put it in the toolbox. Otherwise, just fucking use it until the rust is organically removed through use. You bought it for $5, you'll spend another $5 on acid or whatever restoring it, when you could have just spent $10 on a brand new hammer of better quality.
>>
>>1070750
must be your location. Home Depot's website list a 22oz Estwing, smooth or milled, at $27.63
>>
>>1070359
Again with this disinformation about vinegar's power. Where do you people even find this factoid?

Dude, overnight soaks are the standard for derusting. Check it after 12hr, not fucking 1. Real tough jobs can last a few days.
>>
>>1070581
A+ contribution to the thread, mongoloid.
>>
Emery cloth wheel on a drill or angle grinder will do it 1000x faster than any of the chemical shit these fags are suggesting.
>>
>>1070783
Like a lot of ppl here, they just reguritate stuff they've heard elsewhere and have never tried doing anything.

I use vinegar, 50/50 with water, to clean out moped frame fuel tanks. Works great, but takes a few days at room temp.

Want less time? Throw it in the oven with vinegar. I did this with a cast iron cooking mold into a 350F oven. *That* ate the rust and old oil off in a short time.
>>
>>1070317
seconded
>>
>>1070776
Worst suggestion in the whole thread.
>>
>>1070828
Thanks bby
>>
cola and a hard brush works fine
>>
>>1070316
Wire wheel.

People who say "hurr durr vinegar" haven't actually done it. I can say first hand that it does not REMOVE anything, it just turns your rust gray. Now you have a nasty ass gray coating on your hammer instead of a brown one.

I say again, wire wheel.
>>
>>1070316
Use it.leave it in your tool box while driving from one job to the next. Use it again.
>>
>>1070866
You're right. There's an additional step where you have to flush off the grey goo with water and oil the surface otherwise it will flash rust. But I assume ppl here aren't completely retarded and would figure that out. Baby steps baby.

Vinegar works well on tanks that can't be direct cleaned bc no tool access. Also on thing with coatings you don't want to damage like mild rust on chrome, or softer items like cast iron baking pans. It's about knowing what works best for situation.

For OPs hammer, if I had a wire wheel out and handy I'd likely use that, surface the hammer face and sharpen up the claws with a file. Oil, put away. If I was feeling lazy and no shop space, vinegar. If in a hurry to get it done, add heat to speed up. Wash in kitchen sink, oil, put away.
>>
>>1070316
coca cola works as a charm for derusting
>>
>>1070316
Just sandblast it.
Done in 30 seconds
>>
Acid eats rust. soak it in any type of acid you have. Vinegar is an acid, but not very strong.Even battery acid works, make as strong of a solution as you can to cover the hammer and leave it for a while, depending on the strength of your solution, it can take an hour or overnight, Just keep an eye on it. I have cleaned steel items that were buried in the ground for years.
>>
>>1070762
>doesn't turn black if you're careful

The black is what is left of the rust. It is supposed to happen. It is easy enough to clean off.
>>
>>1070316
Cheapest method is to soak it for 24 hours or so in vinegar (white or apple cider vinegar will both work) or to make a baking soda and water paste, spread the paste on the rusty area, and use a worn-out or old brush or toothbrush to scrub the instrument clean. Rinse and dry well.
>>
File: doge.jpg (32KB, 537x529px) Image search: [Google]
doge.jpg
32KB, 537x529px
>>1071048
>using battery acid to get rid of rust
>>
>>1070750
St. Augustine - It's just gonna rust again.
>>
>>1071048
Would not suggest. 38% HCl seems to make it rust faster after application.
>>
Bench grinder with a wire wheel.
>>
>>1071246
This is why you neutralize the solution before you remove the item, then rinse it thoroughly before coating it.
>>
>>1070866
<<rust turns gray>>
1) play Ballad of a Thin Man by Nobel Prize winner Bob Dylan on your iPhone
2) meanwhile soak rusty tool in USDA Organic raw unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar with The Mother (unpasteurized and gluten-free)
3) Add 2 teaspoons Himalayan Pink Salt to adjust salt balance
4) When the Dylan song finishes, rub tool with a green scrub pad (When iron rusts, four iron atoms react with three oxygen molecules to form two rust molecules FeOOH)
5) Vinegar is acetic acid CH3COOH so here is the cleaning reaction CH3COOH + FeOOH --> Fe(CH3COO) + H2O
6) Fe(CH3COO) looks gray and you wipe that off with water.
>>
>>1070316
Naval jelly. People make things so difficult
>>
>>1071349
Here's a YT link from a live performance 2 days ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUNZRlCeaEI
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.