[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I buy the cheapest working circular saw at a pawn shop, or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: 2731-20_1 (1).png (159KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
2731-20_1 (1).png
159KB, 520x520px
Do I buy the cheapest working circular saw at a pawn shop, or do I get a refurb Milwaukee 18v Fuel 7 1/4 circular saw that works with my existing batteries?

ITT tool lust vs tool practicality
>>
>>1069796
Unless it's corded at the pawn shop.
>>
>>1069796
Battery powered circular saws are shit, unless all you use it for are small cuts in soft wood.

Go to a pawn or garage saw and pick up a corded saw for $15
>>
>>1069800
I feel you and I'm gonna do that, though desu the new line of battery shit is pretty nice. These Lithium Ion batteries and their little Fuel line with computer shit controlling the power, its nothing like dad's NiCad piece of shit.
>>
>that fucking board is sticking out, it's 20 feet into the attic, I keep hitting my head on it, it's gotta go
>I've got to cut 3 2x4s halfway across the factory
>I'll need to make 4 cuts on this job

That's the kind of thing battery powered circular saws are for. If you're gonna be ripping plywood all day, get a corded saw. If you're going to be doing something like the above a battery powered circ saw may be just the thing.

If you don't already have a corded circular saw, get a corded one.
>>
>>1069807
Also if you don't mind the heft, a worm drive with a good blade is a sexual experience.
>>
>>1069796
Listen to me carfully; buy cheap, buy twice.
I was at my bro-n-laws house a few weeks ago and he always buys cheap shit. He was trying to cut a 4x4 with some black'n'decker shit, and it couldn't even do the job. I just sat there laughing, drinking his beer.
>>
Depends if the cheapest is name brand or nameless chink brand. The 7 1/4 Fuel is good for cutting even 4 3/4 stacked osb, pretty powerful. If it was a good price I'd get the fuel.
>>
$15 porter cable pawn shop special.

You can get a really nice used saw at a pawn shop in the $50 range.
>>
>>1069850
Yeah that's why I usually spend more upfront for tools and expect to keep em for a long time. The Milwaukee Fuel 18v stuff is stupid powerful and I'm not professional construction so it's likely all I need for most DIY; I have the hammer drill and impact driver set and it can get into concrete no issue. Got a free 18v Sawzall from the rep when I got the drill/drivers. I figure since convenience and short bursts is my main use case and I already have 2 batteries, I'm just gonna stick in the Milwaukee 18v line for most casual power tools.

However I need to get stuff done this weekend and I save 60 bucks if I wait for a refurb in the mail, so I'm gonna >>1069876 with the pawn shop special and get the convenient OP cordless as a treat later. 7 1/4 inch so it takes blades designed for corded saws.
>>
>>1069850

4x4 pine can easily be cut by the shittiest saws

I have a saw by the brand Ing-Co. Ever heard of it? Doubt it, they wouldnt bother trying to sell them in the states.

It's price and quality is the equivalent of a brazilian electric shower head.

I cut through 6x6 greenheart with it. You have never cut lumber as hard as green heart. So i dont see how your friend was struggling with anything else.

Unless he was using a dead blade.

Blades make the most difference. You can have a sports car, but throwing on shitty tires it may as well be a van.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg.cf.jpg (41KB, 533x399px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg.cf.jpg
41KB, 533x399px
I've had a skilsaw like pic related for 20 years. Hell it was used when I got it.
I've built houses with it.
I throw a new blade on it every once in awhile and rock on.

Like anon said, cordless is good for small jobs, but for anything else you need something corded with HP.
>>
>>1070056
True, his blade might have been dust. But it didn't take long for that motor to size, either It was funny to see someone notoriously cheap struggle with their tools.
I side with the other poster - when I buy something, I buy as an investment. I hate shopping and our throw away culture. When I buy something I intend to keep it for a very long time or pass it down when I upgrade.
I'll be checking out your recommendations, too - thanks.
>>
>>1069802

>Buy cheap corded
>Buy 5meter extension cord too.
>Stick long cord onto saw.
>Marvelous expensive tool feel.

Its the one thing I hate about my cheap ass tools. Fuck short cables. Now I tend to pick up cable when I buy new ones. Swap out the cable and call it good for 4+years.
>>
>>1069809
worm drive saws are also great for framing. They fit in places ye-olde circ saw just won't go.

Not much for battery powered tools myself.
>>
>>1070063
I had one of those till it decided to commit suicide by jumping off the roof. :/ Bent the bottom plate and broke one of the mounts. So I just took the stuff off and slapped on an abrasive wheel. Works great at cutting pipe, fence, and sharpening up the mower blades.
>>
>>1070129
>>1069809
I couldn't imagine stick framing with a sidewinder as a right hander.

I hate using our dewalt battery powered. No weight, no torque, blade's on the wrong side, extra safety button to push, and annoying guard.
>>
Is there such a thing as a circular saw that isn't instantly deafening? Good table saws are whisper quiet, my worm drive instantly hits hearing-damaging levels.
>>
>>1069800

Are you being serious or is it still 2006?
>>
>>1071374
Not him, but I wouldnt make any money cuts with a battery powered saw.
>>
>>1070063
>Looks like it's not that old
>Start typing up an angry response that there's no way it's 20 years old
>Oh wait, it's 2016
>Could definitely be from 1996
>What have I been doing with my life for 15 years
Fuck you for making me depressed
>>
>>1071394
Then you're clueless. Modern battery powered stuff is pretty decent. I won't say that it will last you a day of building a house, but with enough backup batteries it will last.

With that said, there is still no replacement for the corded saw.
>>
What's the breakdown in circular vs hypoid vs worm drive? Are hypoid and worm drives just flat out better than a circular saw, or are there situations where the circular is better? And you can get circulars with the blade on the left, right? Or is there something that makes those shit? I'm in the market for something, but I don't really know what, my current worm drive is just too old, loud, heavy, has seen better days, and won't work with any modern commercial jigs(Kreg's rip-cut guide, etc). I've got a project that I'll need to make about 250 cuts through 3/4 maple plywood for. I don't know if I want the portability of one of the Milwaukee Fuel saws, or the lack of battery life issues of a corded.
>>
>>1071557
>I've got a project that I'll need to make about 250 cuts through 3/4 maple plywood for
Corded 100%. A cordless saw isn't even a consideration here.
>>
>>1071421
I'm with you anon. How about when you get a really old coin as change, thinking it might be worth something more than face value, and when you look at the date it's from a couple of years after you were born?

That said, practical guy here OP. Cheap, older corded, unless you work where there's no electricity a lot. In fact, I'll use a handsaw for a lot that most guys won't.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.