[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aquarium/tank

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 10_gallon_large.jpg (152KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
10_gallon_large.jpg
152KB, 1200x1200px
So /diy/ I have 2 10(15?) gallon fish tanks that I got for real cheap at a thrift store. I want to combine the 2 to make a bigger tank for my hermit crabs. I want to glue them side by side(so it's longer) with silicone glue, but I'm not sure how well that'd work. Does anyone have any tips? I feel like the section where the two tanks connect will be too weak or flexible.
If all else fails, what kind of glass should I use to make o E from scratch? I refuse to pay 100+ USD for a few panes of glass glued together.
>>
File: IMG_0789.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0789.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
>>1069458
BTW they are land hermit crabs so It won't be filled with water. Just sand and coconut substrate.
>>
File: 8-AA24-450x268.jpg (7KB, 450x268px) Image search: [Google]
8-AA24-450x268.jpg
7KB, 450x268px
>>1069459
No water, should be easy enough to just remove one side from each of the tanks, then put them together with aluminium angle bars for support- heavy silicone sealant gunge and glue them together.
The join will probably benefit from some silicone as well and if you wanted to make it look a bit tidier, line it with alu-flat bar

Course if you've got the glass pieces there, just pull it apart and make it how high/wide/long you want.
>>
>>1069462
I might use a strong plastic because hermit crabs are sensitive to metal so I'm trying to avoid using it
>>
>>1069464
It goes on the outside- not in.
If you spend a bit more on the sealant it will stand up by itself if it was just 5 panes of glass, but you where asking on how to put 2 together with some strength and hence the angle brace would help do that.
>>
>>1069466
Would adding an acrylic bar on the inside of the join? Alu on the outside is fine
>>
>>1069468
No need, the sealant will be fine- use the stuff they put shower glass in with and it'll probably last next to forever
>>
>>1069484
Since OP is a rude cunt, then I'd like to be the first one who says:

Thanks for your help.
>>
>>1070001
It was my privilege.
>>
File: hermit.png (46KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
hermit.png
46KB, 960x540px
>>1069458
Create a tunnel/sloped walkway that goes between the two tanks
>pic related
>>
>>1069458
Super easy. Really one of the easiest things I've ever seen asked
>Cut silicone off of the two sides you want to merge.
>They should just be able to be pushed inward.
>Butt the two aquarium open sides together.
>Non-mildew resistant silcone every piece of the two together. Maybe put it on 2 pieces of wood and silicone it to that so it stays somewhat steady.
>Still able to use standard sized tops/lights/screens due to the top plastic frames still being together.
Really man there's no way anyone over the age of 7 could fuck this up.
>>
>>1070817
Way to be a condescending, yet helpful jackass.
>>
ruining the structural integrity of two tanks for fucking hermit crabs.

HERMIT CRABS
>>
>>1071409
this

just have two tanks

get some nice shelving and it'll even look super nice to have tanks separated vertically
>>
>>1070843
>helpful jackass

this is all i got from this
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.