[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best pipe cutting tool?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10

Hello, I run a little welding shop and one of our most time consuming tasks is cutting pipe. Most of the pipe that we use is SCH80 2"diamater pipe (Carbon steel).
The way we cut our pipe now (to make pipe coupons for welders to practice on) is by using a cutting disk on a regular grinder. The process is slow and it causes a lot of sparks which later need to be cleaned up.
We are aware of pipe cutters and bevelers made by rigid and of course pipe saddles to be used with cutting torches with oxy acet etc so what would be a more affordable tool to use? maybe under 500 dollars? my shop is very small so I have no way of buying a cutting and beveling lathe (they run over 20k) and the shop is not outfitted for oxy acet cuts because of fire hazards.
>>
>>1069115
Cold saw.
Basically a high torque, low speed chop saw with a water cooled toothed blade.
Not cheap, but if you can find a used one its well worth it.
That's what we cut all of our chro-moly tubing with.
No sparks, shavings are easy to clean up and very smooth cuts.
>>
File: UC9JolEmVNva.jpg (39KB, 567x650px) Image search: [Google]
UC9JolEmVNva.jpg
39KB, 567x650px
>>1069115
canot you use one of these? they are under 500dolaritos/euritos
>>
Horizontal bandsaw from HF. Will give you perfect cuts.
>>
Look at a rigid pipe cutter. You can also get hand held alternatives. 2" isn't an issue for them.
>>
>>1069185
Sorry. Missed that you said you're aware of them.

No idea why this wouldn't be your go to option. REMS also make something similar.

If you shop around or look at used you can get them well within budget.
>>
>>1069115
chop saw?
band saw?
wtf kinda cowboy welding shop cuts pipe with a grinder? holy fuck trumps actually going to win isnt he
>>
>>1069215

Honestly, I kinda have to agree with this anon. How do you not already have a dry cut saw or a bandsaw? Or both, for that matter? Decent ones can be had for well under $500.
>>
>>1069225
>>1069215
OP shop, mus be pretty shity shop
i wonder how can he run a welder school, its like OP never went to a hardware shop
>>
File: 1A_HD_Pipe_Cutter_72dpi.jpg (52KB, 1000x469px) Image search: [Google]
1A_HD_Pipe_Cutter_72dpi.jpg
52KB, 1000x469px
>>1069115
>for welders to practice on

Buy manual pipe cutter.
Make them cut their own.
-for practice in cutting pipe.
>>
File: nick.jpg (2KB, 106x90px) Image search: [Google]
nick.jpg
2KB, 106x90px
>>1069115
>for welders to practice on
> the shop is not outfitted for oxy acet cuts because of fire hazards
>>
>>1069172
This
>>
>>1069172
>Horizontal bandsaw
This. Clamp it, flip it on, set the blade down & walk away. One I used to use even turned itself off. Use a stop for multiple pieces the same length. You can use it for angle (legs down), bar, channel, ect. Pretty hassle free, and you don't have to breath that nasty grinding dust.
>>
Just put the money out for a band saw, the time you will save on prep alone will make it worth it
>>
For cutting while installing, Milwaukee has a handheld bandsaw that's fucking awesome. Used one last weekend while installing some pipe. One of the cooler tools I've gotten to mess with.
>>
>>1069115
Go old school and get a hacksaw.
>>
$500? Horizontal band saw all day long.

I have a 4x6 band saw from Harbor Freight and it's great. Replace the blade, square up the blade, build a decent stand for it, and go to town.

One of the Evolution Rage saws or similar would be faster, but the blades are big money. Some people swear by them, others don't.
>>
>>1069172
>>1069365
>>1069390
>>1069404
>>1069437
>>1069382

>Cutting pipe
>Don't buy a pipe cutter buy something completely unnecessary

Dare I say a 2" pipe slice would be quicker than all this bullshit.
>>
>>1069447

It's a welding shop. What happens when he has to cut something OTHER than 2" pipe? Bandsaws work on anything that fits between the guides. Pipe cutters only work on pipes.
>>
>>1069447
>welding shop
>bandsaw completely unnecessary

Why do you post when you have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>1069454
>>1069475

>Welding shop

Yeah sure it is.

Ain't no welding shop I've ever heard of that doesn't have this stuff anyway and has restriction on heat-centric processes.

>Why do you post when you have no idea what you're talking about

Op asked for the best way to cut 2" pipe without using a grinder. I think you'll find that would be with a 2" pipe cutter.

Sorry for pissing on your bandsaw bonfire but it really isn't necessary to cut pipe up.
>>
>>1069115
chinese plasma cutter.
two roller V blocks on sawhorses makes a good-enough positioner.
>all these people suggesting straight-cut tools
>>
>>1069481
A large pipe cutter is slow as fuck and takes someone to do the actual cutting.

And they are expensive. A new Ridgid 32830 that costs 1 to 3 inches costs $250... That's the cost of a Harbor Freight 4x6 bandsaw before the 10% off coupon.
>>
>>1069493
thanks that would be good for the bevel at the same time as the cut.
>>1069551
thank you for the reply but are you aware I specified SCH80? would that pipe cutter be heavy duty enough to cut through the thickness of the pipe?
We only train welders to use the GTAW process (no sparks), and yea the reason why we cannot use OXYACET is because of restrictions on our area about wildfires.
>>1069162
thank you I will look up into this
>>
>>1069622
I was arguing against a pipe cutter.

Just buy a fucking bandsaw.
>>
thank you
>>
File: muhbandsaw.jpg (158KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
muhbandsaw.jpg
158KB, 1200x1200px
>>1069633

>MUH BANDSAW
>>
>>1069643
http://www.baileigh.com/portable-metal-cutting-band-saw-bs-127p?gclid=COmRiJb21c8CFQaQaQodZx8C3Q

what do you guys think of this? I wonder how long a blade would last making repeated cuts on sch80 pipe?
>>
>>1069648
>I wonder how long a blade would last making repeated cuts on sch80 pipe?

Depends entirely on the blade. Bimetal blades are somewhat more expensive, but last substantially longer than the plain carbon steel ones. You can even get carbide-tipped blades if you're willing to shell out the cash.
>>
>>1069649
that's true, I'll look into that. So far a stationary bandsaw seems to be the most affordable upfront investment but that price of the blades is a factor to consider
>>
>>1069648
You can buy a Harbor Freight 4x6 and a name brand portaband for that price.
>>
>>1069672
Sch80 is heavy duty man isk if harbor freight mickey mouse rep will hold up. Repated cuts on such thickness burn up motors
>>
>>1069847
>implying that baileigh isn't chinese crap
>implying a horizontal bandsaw works hard
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNsjqhvfAx4
>>
>>1069986
did he just put the disc upside down ?
>>
>>1070043
thin cutoff wheels only have one layer of fibreglass mesh in the center of the grit, so they don't care which way up you put them in.
>>
>Hello, I run a little welding shop

Yet you are not on a professional welding forum. WTF? Weldingweb and the Miller forums will have all you need to know and more. Never come here again for welding advice because you should be spending your professional education time in real welding forums.

If you can't use OA in shop, you don't have a real welding shop. Show us where OA is illegal INDOORS in wildfire country.

What country are you in? Why don't the motherfuckers on this board post LOCATION? That matters in welding and serious welders know fucking why it matters. http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/ is useful for the third world of welding which is anywhere outside the US.

You can use an old standard lathe to bevel coupons, and you can run three phase motors off a phase converter or VFD. A lathe will do many useful things for you but has a large footprint which may be a deal breaker in a tiny shop.

You can use a plasma cutter to bevel coupons. You can buy or make a motorized rotator or use a rollout wheel you fab yourself. Google image search "rig welder forums rollout wheel" for some interesting examples. You can make one from a car spindle and a lathe chuck or, if you will only ever bevel 2" coupons, a tube that slip-fits over the 2" OD of your coupons. Secure coupons with set screws. You can use three setscrews to center a coupon, then only back off one to switch coupons.

I ran a welding school tool room and cut/beveled thousands of coupons in various ways.

A portaband is versatile and will do 2" Schedule 80 but a horizontal band saw is MUCH more comfy and blades last much longer. Let the speed do the cutting and don't cram the blade into the work.

What VOLUME of coupons do you need to cut? Volume matters so when asking questions always mention it. For max volume a bandsaw with, or retrofitted with, water-based liquid cooling is the best way to go. Coolant pays for itself in blades very quickly which is why serious fab shops use it.
>>
>>1069654
>but that price of the blades is a factor to consider

The price PER CUT is the factor to consider. You can find deals on blades online instead of getting boned by McMaster-Carr/MSC/Fastenal.

Small bandsaw blades are highly affordable even for hobbyists.

Watch liquidation auctions for good used industrial gear if you want to outfit a shop inexpensively.
>>
How do you currently bevel coupons? A grinder is terribly time consuming. If you have machinist bros using their lathe during downtime could bevel many coupons.

A short, powerful lathe often found used is the turret or "chucker" lathe. They are designed for repetitive cuts and you can also debur the inside of the pipe if needed by an appopriate tool in the turret.
>>
>>1070066
Thank you for your advice I appreciate it
>>1070070
Thank you
>>1070077
Cutting disk for cutting and tiger disk for bevel
>>
>>1069283
>>1069551
>derp, here's copper pipe cutter, derp, derp
>>
>>1070143
Disk beveling is good for students to learn and we had ours bevel many of their coupons that way, but if production is wanted you will need a way to rotate the coupon.

We used Watts which have been around many years:
http://www.techsouthinc.com/pipecutting/w6020.html

I set them up for either OA or plasma and either is easy to do, but you could use them with a handheld grinder if you had to and the rotation would make for an easier consistent bevel job. Study the literature.

All they basically are is an electric motor, gear reduction and a lathe chuck with a torch holder. You could make one fairly easily. You don't really need the box and could make a "powered rollout wheel" simply enough. A shaft with a couple of bearing blocks could hold chuck and a drive pulley. You need very little horsepower and very low RPM.
>>
>>1070392
I've used pipe cutters to cut concrete filled lally columns. I've also cut stainless steel tubing with smaller cutters. Fuck off.

It's inefficient, but it works. OP still shouldn't buy one though.
>>
>>1069283
> pipe cutter

LOOK EVERYONE! SOMEONE WHO NEVER LEARNED THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PIPE AND A TUBE!
>>
>>1069115
Use a band saw, build near it a table with a flat surface and a vise .so you won't need to ask for help if you have to cut a ten feet pipe.
>>
Speaking to the owner of a large pipe fabrication shop the other week.

They have a 5 axis cnc water jet for cutting pipe. That'd be the best.

Horizontal bandsaw is basically the minimum you'd think any professional place has. Build a decent table and a stock rack with rollers and you're look 100x better already.
>>
File: tube-vs-pipe-the-differences.jpg (199KB, 619x1400px) Image search: [Google]
tube-vs-pipe-the-differences.jpg
199KB, 619x1400px
>>1070437

You look a bit of a twat now mate.
>>
>>1069404
Portabands are nice but tiresome and inefficient for cutting pipe coupons. I've actually cut test coupons with one. Would not do for production tho. Keeping many cuts dead straight with a handheld Portaband is tiresome.
>>
OP should study welding business tips since it appears he's more of a welder than a businessman. There are many good welders who can't run a paying shop effectively. Persevere, control costs (lock up and control consumable use or you are fucked as a school!), and become efficient.

OP is spending a fuckton of time and effort beveling.

Guess what I found to solve your fucking problem? I didn't know they existed but figured they should, and they do:

https://www.plumbersstock.com/ridgid-50960-bevel-set-1-2-37-12-deg.html

Get a used Ridgid pipe threading machine, some bevel dies, and you are fucking golden. Repeatable bevels every time on small pipe and a small shop floor footprint. I won't link to the famous Ridgid threader, you can find that yourself.
>>
>>1069847
>>1069885
Just run the downfeed slower if you're scared lad
>>
>>1071539
>Just run the downfeed slower if you're scared lad

Truth. A moron will ruin blades and equipment even if they are good. Let the blade float and set yer saw up to use water-based coolant for much longer blade life. Scour auction sites for used industrial saws. They are worth the money.
>>
Pros use a George Fisher saw for cutting pipe/tube
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.