[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

using two 12v batteries to weld

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 34563456.jpg (61KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
34563456.jpg
61KB, 960x720px
I don't know how to weld and also don't have a welder. But I need to weld on two new catalytic converters on my plow truck. Will two batteries be enough or too much?

What type of rods should I use?
>>
>>1067618
might as well just get a cheap flux core only or stick welder and learn while you do it. they can be had for 150-200 bucks on amazon for not bottom of the barrel garbage
>>
File: 2016-10-08 21.18.35.jpg (735KB, 1041x1040px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-08 21.18.35.jpg
735KB, 1041x1040px
If you have access to the grid you may try this one:
https://youtu.be/co6SUTVGqOs
>>
>>1067630
That looks incredibly dangerous.
Something a drunk Russian would do
>>
>I don't know how to weld
>wants to stick weld thin pipe using afro engineering
I don't think this is a good idea. You may be able to lay down some boogers that will hold it on but they'll probably crack sooner than later. Most likely you'll be blowing holes instead of laying down metal since you can't control the amperage. If you want to greatly increase your chances of pulling this off, go to your local welding supply and rent a mig for an afternoon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C33DF0svas&t=3m0s
If you want to attempt to stick weld it I'd use a 3/32 6013 with the electrode being negative polarity.
>>
>>1067636
>>1067638
>>1067628
I want to TIG weld, have Al motorcycle parts up the ass and a few are scrap to practice on, without spending enough money to warrant a loan from the bank, what's a legitimate set up of respectable quality that is also affordable?
>>
Actually its more than possible. That said you prob will fuck it given you cant weld, and will be welding with dog shit on thin metal.

I used to actually manufacture a product for this. Id purchase bulk 400amp 3.5m jumper lead sets, replace one end of the posiive with a custom rod holder machined from basically a large gal bolt (10 mins machine time). Then repackage and resell them. Cost was around $30ausfag a unit, resale $175ausfag.

That said, they will work fine on a single battery with sufficiant cca and charge, but when used repeatedly will fuck the battery. Also, consider repeat constant use may cause fluid to boil in cells. Basically use in an emergency. Ensure its unplugged from vehicle first...
>>
File: DSCN0031a.jpg (1MB, 2048x1532px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0031a.jpg
1MB, 2048x1532px
>>1067618
4 batteries is better, but 2 will get the job done, they won't last long. Just don't be using it for that thin ass materials on your first try. You need tons of practice first.
>>
>>1067920
TIG is not affordable; you can sometimes break even if you really know what you're doing though. Cheapest quality Al welder is a AlphaTig 200X for a tad under 800 bucks. But, you'll need to fill a argon tank (if you're considering burning serious rod you'll need 122 cu ft+ rental tanks), buy filler rod, torch, tungsten, a foot pedal (granted, you could make your own with a spring and a pot), etc. and it can put you down another 400-500 bucks.

You can use batteries to weld (not Al or TIG obviously), but I would consider it dangerous to run it on high duty cycle, and would probably give absolutely unforgiving splatter with cellulose rods like 6011/10. Batteries have internal resistance and at the current draw you're running it is possible to start burning your batteries. The best solution for stick is to get an generator + legit IGBT welder (a cheapo Everlast 200st is pretty good for under 500).
>>
>>1067618
>google news alert created to follow OPs demise so I can send a care package to his family with a couple 8 packs of AA batteries when he dies
>>
>>1067618
proof Darwinism is alive and well in 2016.
>>
Piss on that battery nonsense. It's for desperate field repairs you aren't skilled enough to do. Learn to weld, then obtain a capable used stick welder as they are most useful for repairing heavier metal.

You can add scratch start TIG to a stick machine if it will do DC.

Visit real welding forums or go die. All you seek is there, not here. Weldingweb and the Miller forums have more info on welding than anyone here wants or needs, so go there.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.