[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/QTDDTOT/ - Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 338
Thread images: 72

File: meadow-63987_640.jpg (82KB, 640x452px) Image search: [Google]
meadow-63987_640.jpg
82KB, 640x452px
Questions that don't deserve their own thread: the thread
Time to ask your question, look hours later and find nobody answered it!
>>
would one of these make an ok fuel tank for a generator? i installed a fuel pump on it so that i can use a larger tank than the small gravity feed one it comes with and i can get as my of these as i want from work for free. is there any way i should modify it for safety?
>>
>>1067635
>would one of these make an ok fuel tank for a generator?
How many liters it can hold? On this photo, it looks like a beverage can.
>>
>>1067639
looks like a 5 gal UN rated jerrycan.
>>
>>1067635
>i installed a fuel pump on it
Why? The generator doesn't sucks the fuel as it burns?
>>
>>1067639
>>1067645
5 gallons. its a steel container for oil and coolant and stuff. and i want something like this with a flat top so i can install a fuel sender for a gauge.
>>
File: Texaco Marfak MP2.jpg (3MB, 4288x3216px)
Texaco Marfak MP2.jpg
3MB, 4288x3216px
Anon said:
>if you have grease, then it'll be good for several years.

I have this grease.
>TEXACO MARFAK MP2
>Multi-application grease
>expiration date: 2007

Should I use it to lubricate my tabletop fan?
>>
>>1067648
no its gravity fed, as in the tank is on top and relies solely on gravity to feed the gas into the carb. the fuel pump is a vacuum pulse pump that uses the pcv pulse from the valve cover to pump fuel. doesnt need power or anything.
>>
>>1067661
>the fuel pump is a vacuum pulse pump that uses the pcv pulse from the valve cover to pump fuel. doesnt need power or anything
>doesnt need power or anything
Great!
>>
>>1067656
>Is it slippery?
If yes, proceed
If not, choose another lube

For an application as minor as a tabletop fan you'll be fine. Expiration dates aren't really binding, it will probably be good for quite a bit longer if is stored sealed. It's not like dairy products, your fan isn't going to get salmonella from expired grease
>>
I'm going to start a building apprenticeship in a few weeks. What can I expect? Live in New Zealand if that helps.
>>
>>1067699
>It's not like dairy products, your fan isn't going to get salmonella from expired grease
Although it appears to be.
>>
dumbo question but
I need to move a in-the-box futon. I do not have a car, or a credit card so I cannot order online and I cannot get a U-hal. Does anyone have any ingenious ideas for me? I dont have a single friend that has a pick up truck so that isnt an option either.
>>
>>1067777
Nice quads. I'd put an ad on craigslist or Facebook. Give the dude ten bucks and a bj and you're set.
>>
My pc's audio jack spontaneously stopped working. The one on the front of the case still works fine so I know the fault isn't with the speakers. How simple would this be to repair?
>>
>>1067780
Very easy. Get a new one from your local radio shack and solder it in real quick.
>>
File: usb sound card.jpg (7KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
usb sound card.jpg
7KB, 300x300px
>>1067782

this guy is correct, taking a computer apart enough to get the PCB out is pretty easy. putting it back together in working order is a different matter.

dont be a dumbass and take you computer apart, risking its life: you can get a tiny USB sound card with audio in/out for a couple of bucks.
>>
How much do you guys think I could build a basic bitch 8x10 tin roof shed for?
>>
>>1067834

any more specs on your cuckshed, Sven? Probably a few hundred USD.
>>
>>1067835
Yeah, about 7 foot roof, no windows, joist floor (no concrete). Anything else you need?
>>
How can I make a quick dehydrator at home? I wanna try making mushroom flour
>>
>>1067851
I don't know much about it, but I've heard you can use your oven
>>
>>1067851
Yeah like the other dude said you can use your oven if it gets low enough temp (150ish). You could also use a box fan with some kinda cheesecloth on top but you'd have to flip it a few times.
>>
>>1067827
True, I probably assumed wrongly that he built it himself. I'd get the usb audio in since it would probably void the warranty if the case gets opened.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (63KB, 1280x720px)
maxresdefault.jpg
63KB, 1280x720px
Has anyone here used the Wera 8001 bit ratchet? I'm curious as to if https://www.kctoolco.com/wiha-77782-13-piece-replacement-bit-reload-for-industrial-ultra-driver/ would work with it, or if they wouldn't stick out far enough to be useful. Half for fun, half for usefulness, I'm trying to put together the most compact tool set possible that I might use at work, and I'm thinking that the 8001 and that bit set, along with a 6" Knipex pliers wrench, might be the way to go.
>>
>>1067980
looks like you'd want a bit holder eventually
>>
>>1067827
Will use this option, thanks. I dont trust myself to tinker with hardware.

As an aside, what would cause an audio port to just stop working? They're just metal terminals, right? No components to get damaged.
>>
>>1067992
There are a few metal contacts inside that might have gotten fucked up or one of the wires may have come loose.
>>
>>1067721
Tbh if I didn't know it was grease id try and make a sandwich out of it
>>
>>1067777
If it's still in the box, just strap it to the roof of a sedan. Wagons are good too, put the back seats down
>>
>>1068043
We almost did this on my home.
>>
>>1068058
Looks pretty tasty, almost like caramel or peanut butter
>>
File: IMG_0170.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0170.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
Sorry for how stupid this question is, but my local harware stores dont stock metric sheet metal screws so im having trouble finding what im looking for.
I need a very specific screw. It looks exactly like a #6 coarse thread screw of about 1/2in length, but when i go to screw in such a screw, it acts as though it's the wrong pitch.
Considering its from a 1970's piece of audio equipment, i have to assume its some metric size. The problem is i have no idea what size it might be. Conversion charts suggest it would be a 3.5m something or other, but i cant seem to find any with a coarse pitch.
Please halp
>>
I want to make a MintyPi, gameboy emulator with a Pi Zero in an Altoids tin, and wanted to give it wireless charging, but I'm not sure what Altoids tins are actually made out of. Does all metal block wireless charging, or only magnetic metals?
>>
>>1068407
>I need a very specific screw.
>its from a 1970's piece of audio equipment
why who cares
>>
>>1068407
>when i go to screw in such a screw, it acts as though it's the wrong pitch.

screw harder - it'll get the right pitch
>>
>>1068434
Tins like that are most likely steel, don't know much about it blocking wireless charging though.

Depending on how the system works it might not be a problem
>>
File: 1468331507362.png (29KB, 882x1289px) Image search: [Google]
1468331507362.png
29KB, 882x1289px
>>1067532
Will I ever be happy?
>>
>>1068491
>>>/adv/
>>
>>1068290
Dulce de leche.
>>
>>1068407
#6 taps are pretty cheap
>>
File: wera.jpg (10KB, 225x225px)
wera.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>>1067980

my dad uses one of these, i use the somewhat larger bacho equivalent.

he sais it is brilliant and i plan on getting one myself.

pik related is the set he has, which may be useful to use considering what you are looking to do
>>
>>1068492
>the joke
>your head
>>
So I have a similar problem as >>1067780 on my asus 1015pn netbook, just a bit more complicated. My microphone doesn't work most of the time (it randomly does), be it internal or external, there is only noise on the input, no matter on which OS (tried windows 7 and a few different linux distros) I tried two different external USB sound cards like >>1067827 but that doesn't change much.
It's not really a problem for me now, because I use a different computer, but I'd like to solve that mystery some day. I thought maybe something with the south bridge? I don't really know how sound is processed on computers.
>>
Best/easiest way to make MDF water resistant, Using it for a desk top.
>>
Got some large mirrors off craigslist (4'x4' and 4'x5') and this mounting hardware, the plastic bits hold the top and the metal bits hold the bottom. I'm hoping to have studs in the right places, but if not, will the provided drywall screws hold the 50-60lb that these mirrors weigh?
>>
>>1068603
You can prime, paint, seal it. You can fiberglass it. You can put a piece of glass on it. You can not drink mountain dew at your desk. You can just paint and clear coat it.
>>
I thought it'd be fun to take up wood carving, so I recently purchased a beginner's woodcarving set at Hobby Lobby for ~15 dollars (Midwest Products). It came with a set of carving knives, a sharpening stone of unspecified coarseness, and a piece of basswood, but I've very quickly found out that the quality of the knives is sorely lacking. One of the gouges snapped right off the handle, which is a shame as it was one of the more useful blades. Keeping the remaining blades sharp seems more difficult that what I would intuitively expect, whether this is due to the quality of the steel or the sharpening stone is anyone's guess.

Even with the setbacks, I've enjoyed the task enough that I'm strongly considering picking up a higher quality set of tools; however, aside from knowing that I'm going to need to drop more than $20 to get a decent set, I'm very much at a loss as to what exactly I should be looking for.

Could y'all please recommend a brand (or set) that would work better for me? Thanks in advance for the advice.
>>
>>1068629
Thank you, going to prime paint and seal it.
>>
File: dps-800gb a s.gif (9KB, 627x193px) Image search: [Google]
dps-800gb a s.gif
9KB, 627x193px
What does the 1k5 resistor in this pic mean?
The symbol for it is a variable preset I guess, but what does the 5 mean?
Is it a 1-55k Ohm variable resistor, or is it a 1k variable resistor with 5% difference or something?
>>
Why are the hot/cold on a shower so consistently mislabeled? Do the installers not give a fuck, or do it on purpose, or is it a hardware issue?
>>
File: nest maybe.jpg (257KB, 1200x936px) Image search: [Google]
nest maybe.jpg
257KB, 1200x936px
Is this shit compatible with nest ?

I can't find any guide that says which wires are required.
>>
I want to try removing rust in an electrolytic bath, but I don't want to buy a power supply. Is it safe to just run the mains through a simple bridge rectifier? Will the impedance of the steel beautification tub be adequate to prevent a fuse from blowing?

>>1068655
It means 1.5 kilo-ohms. The K is used instead of a decimal point for greater clarity.
>>
File: 20161010_183506.jpg (834KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161010_183506.jpg
834KB, 3264x1836px
I used gorilla glue on this little magnet set in a piece of aluminum. Its upside down. How do I dissolve it? I'm not worried about the paint, but I dont want to drill or deform the metal.
>>
>>1068682
Thanks anon, so it's a 1.5k variable resistor then.

By the way running mains through water seems dangerous, but if you are woried about fuses blowing you could get e.g. one of those car fuses that are lower than the regular ones and try it out I guess. Maybe you could add a resistor or getting an old PSU or something otherwise, people tend to trow them away.
>>
Will you all hate me if I hook up a couple LED tubes in the garage using power strips?
>>
Can't find any 5-6 slot grounded power strip with no cable that can be attached to wall with screws. Should I just kill myself?
>>
>>1068722
This is not /b/. There is no hate or love here. Only Volts and Amps.
Depends on what you mean by couple and how much power they draw. If it's just a few of them then go ahead. Since they're leds they won't probably overload anything. I'd be more worried about other things in your garage you might want to connect to it.
>>
>>1067635
>should I use a generic plastic bucket for fuel storage
No, since the fuel might dissolve through the bucket given enough time.

You would need to obtain a bucket that was made of a fuel-safe plastic.
Or, you would need to find out what the buckets are made of and verify that they are acceptable on a chemical compatibility chart:
https://www.google.com/search?q=chemical+compatibility+chart&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
>>
>>1068773
its a steel bucket
>>
Why are socket wrenches & sockets almost always chrome?
>>
broke a shank button, I tried sewing it but can't figure out how that gypsy bullshit works. What are some other methods of securing the button? Could I glue the thread at the back?
>>
>>1068864
So they dont rust. Paint and enamal chips off.
>>
>>1068552
Thanks for the suggestion, but I was thinking more fits-in-an-Altoids-tin compact. The ratchet fits, and I've got a tin and some Kaizen foam on order. I'm toying with the idea of adding something else, but I think that hinged on making a Dremel mill.
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 440x541px)
image.jpg
70KB, 440x541px
>>1067532
Multimeter question #1,434,238:

Please to recommend me a multimeter that:

- is $30-60
- has a continuity beeper
- isn't autoranging
- Won't fall apart
- ESR would be nice but isn't essential
- accuracy and calibration not that essential; even 10% is fine

I've run pic related into the ground, and now I know what I need in a better one. Are the Hong Kong ones any good? Should I just get another shit one?
>>
>>1068749

you can use track lighting bars with socket adapters. this is an expensive option, tho, coz these dont sell in large quantities.
>>
>>1068991
Thats beautiful. I just might do this. I mostly use my garage to improve my garage anyway.
>>
File: wrenchdoge.jpg (339KB, 1280x956px)
wrenchdoge.jpg
339KB, 1280x956px
I have a lack of self esteem/anxiety. DIY stuff gives me much needed confidence, even if its something as simple as applying wd40 to a noisy hinge, hooking up a cable to a power strip or replacing brake pads on the motorcycle.

Can anyone recommend me a small DIY hobby that does not take up an inordinate amount of space and results in a finished/working object? No open end things like sculpting as I would never be satisfied and it would feed my insecurity. I am not a creative person.

>tfw no wrenchdoge
>>
>>1069037
WD40 go around the neighbourhood and spray on every door hinge you see
>>
>>1069037
>I would never be satisfied and it would feed my insecurity

Everything is open ended, and everything can be improved.
I too am never ever proud of my work. Its what keeps you moving forward to improve, not necessarily a rare thing.

Its just the nature of the beast.
>>
>>1068691
Acetone. I'd use cheap vodka if you don't want to mess up the paint though.
>>
This seems like a good thread to ask this.

I have a digital picture frame, I want to display a still image on it, simple right? Not quite, I want control over that image from my pc, so I can change it without unplugging the usb drive attached to it. Prefferably be able to change it multiple times per minute.

Any ideas? Was thinking about just wiring a switch to the 5v pin of the drive so I can flip it into one position where the DPF supplies voltage to it so it can read it, then in the other position it would switch to power from pc so my pc could mount the drive. No idea if it would even work, even if I had a switch that would also switch the data lines. Still seems like a pretty bad idea.

Best would be direct interfacing with pc but the DPF only has usb host mode and no easy way of sending a video input to its CPU, only debugging is over JTAG.
>>
File: function-digital-0822[1].jpg (90KB, 435x388px) Image search: [Google]
function-digital-0822[1].jpg
90KB, 435x388px
>>1068950
Just wait a few weeks and save your money.
They put the multimeter on the FREE list frequently.
>>
>>1068749
>5-6 slot grounded power strip with no cable

6 slots - grounded - no cable
>>
Let me just make sure I'm not being retarded before I go and buy the wrong thing: if I want a 2: 1 speed difference between the input and the output, that is the output spinning twice as fast as the input, I put a bigger pulley on the input right? So for example, if I have a motor running at 2000 RPM and I want to run accessory at 4000 RPM, I will put say a 4 inch pulley on the motor and a 2 inch pulley on the accessory correct? Or do I have it backwards?
>>
>>1069201
>4 inch pulley on the motor and a 2 inch pulley on the accessory
this is correct
>>
>>1069203
Thanks
>>
>>1069041
I already fixed all the squeeky noises in the houses of my parents and brothers :^)
>>
File: sdr.jpg (255KB, 1366x768px)
sdr.jpg
255KB, 1366x768px
Any radio-aficionados in here?
I bough an RTL-SDR dongle and I'm trying to pick different signals in my area, this signals seem to be very common, but most of them don't produce any sounds when tuned, at best I just get a fixed frequency. What are they?
I'm a total noob when it comes to radio.
>>
>>1067699
>Is it slippery?
How do I check properly? If I apply it on my fingers, I will never be able to remove properly later.
>>
>>1068572
The answer is rope, instead of hope?
>>
I removed 2 screws from my tabletop fan. Now I can just screw manually them back? They were terribly stuck when removing, I'm afraid that not fixing they properly could result in trouble.

Pic related.
>>
Urgent question: I have a 3-wire computer fan and I need to control its speed because I'm a retard and I thought the third wire was for PWM and not for tacho.
Can I attach a power transistor on the ground line and a flyback diode across the power leads to simulate a pwm control? It would be wonderfully retarded if it works.
>>
>>1069370
Is it likely you'll have to remove the screws again in the future? If so, replace screws and use anti seize. If not, just put them back in.
>>
I have this portable radio receptor scrap...
1/2
>>
File: CAM01134.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
CAM01134.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Is there a way to uncover fresh surface on this ficker once it gets dull?
>>
File: scrap scrap scrap.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
scrap scrap scrap.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
>>1069566
...If I want to scrap components to build a good crystal radio receptor, are these the ones I need to scrap? Is there someone I have not marked, or some I marked wrongly?
2/2
>>
>>1069568

No but they're so cheap and hard waring I've no idea why you'd want to
>>
>>1069605
Because only the very edge of the sandpaper flaps gets used so it feels rather wasteful to just throw the whole thing away,
>>
>>1068656
I guess one guy does the piping and someone else does the fittings and they often don't communicate.

The hot/cold faces on faucets are usually interchangeable anyway. See if you can unscrew them or if they'll pop out.
>>
>>1069037
Invent a pump system that reliably moves water from a lake to a lakehouse without having to be monitored constantly and with a fault-to-breakdown tolerance greater than three seconds.

Apparently this is impossible so you should enjoy the challenge.
>>
>>1067532
I got a direct drive turntable that seems to play a bit slow sometimes. I need to give it a 5 minute "warm up" period so that it can get up to the proper speed.
What could possibly be wrong? What should I do to fix it?
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 357x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 357x450px
When applying tear away bead on your drywall project, do you prefer spray glue or staples?
>>
>>1068621
they make mirror caulk to put on the back of mirrors, I did it with a mirror of about 4 x 4 and just used those clips to hold in place while the glue set up. you need more support on bottom than top.
>>
>>1069037
take old things and add some shit, clean it up, and viola, you win.
Find some cool looking shit on craigslist and then pick it up and add to it or break it down and then make a cool pot or something.
>>
>>1069298
space aliens
>>
>>1068491
Not with that attitude.
>>
>>1068644
>buy
Make your own. It's not expensive, and you get exactly what you want. Some O2 tool steel, a hacksaw, and a couple of files, plus a couple hours of time, and you've got a custom tool for a low price.
>>
File: dmmtest_01_0459.jpg (123KB, 1200x548px) Image search: [Google]
dmmtest_01_0459.jpg
123KB, 1200x548px
>>1068950
You might look at the Mastech 8269. $30 on aliexpress.
It is manual ranging with volts/amps/ohms and capacitance and inductance, but no ESR.
It has a continuity beeper and auto-power-off, the odd thing missing is that there's no back light.

Accuracy: it varied less than 1/2 of 1% off some voltage, resistance, capacitance and inductance references I have. I didn't have the stuff to test the ammeter function, but it appears okay as well in use. Calibrating it: I have no idea.

Pic related: it's the green one. The little boxes at the top are the voltage and RCL references I checked it on.

The Mastech 8268 is the rather popular $27 auto-ranging one. I don't got one of those.

I've never seen any cheap meter with ESR built-in, but then, you can spend $15 on aliexpress and get one of the mega328 ones with a plastic case.
The cheap Chinese RCL bridge meters I've seen both cost like $400... And that IS cheap, compared to the $800 ones I've seen from decent electronics places.
>>
>>1069765
>I got a direct drive turntable
Can you prove this?
>>
>>1069805
Most direct drive tables actually tout being direct drive on them.
Its not a desirable thing
>>
My Kwikset deadbolt lock started struggling a couple weeks ago. When the door is open, the bolt is loose and can be jiggled around. When closed and paired with the strike plate, there's a ton of resistance when I try to turn it, almost feels like it's going to snap.

There's also been a string of burglaries in the neighborhood, so I'm not ready to write off that the lock has been tampered with. I only have knowledge from Google though, so I was hoping someone who knows locks could help me out here.
>>
>>1069822
I meant, can you prove YOU HAVE this turntable? Where are the pictures, faggot?
>>
>>1069831
Im no locksmith, but I know that when you use a bump-key it can wreck your lock.
Maybe someone tried to bump your lock, couldnt get in and fucked it up.

Get a bump proof set
>>
>>1069834
Im not the guy with the turntable
I just found it funny you need absolute proof that this guy has a quite common turntable.
As if he would lie about it, or somehow get the idea that its direct drive without it being labeled as such.
>>
>>1069838
The idea is that I have no idea how is this device. I need to see it. Maybe it's clearly broken, but anon can't see.
>>
>>1069831
>When the door is open, the bolt is loose and can be jiggled around
Kwikset bolts have some play even when new.
It 'may' have been damaged by attempts to force it.
>>1069831
>When closed and paired with the strike plate, there's a ton of resistance when I try to turn it
Push or pull on the door when turning the key or inside thumb turn handle.
If it easier to turn with changed pressure, it's just the adjustment of the strike plate.
If it's difficult to lock or unlock while holding the door open, it's damaged
If it's only difficult to turn with the key, it's the cylinder.
>>
File: Clipboard-1.jpg (166KB, 640x478px)
Clipboard-1.jpg
166KB, 640x478px
This portion of my steel pipe completely split in 2.

Can I just switch this part with a PVC one, or should I change the entire piping? It is fairly old.
>>
>>1069894
I have mixed metal and plastic on repairs.
But honestly, itll cost less than 10$ to replace it all with plastic.
Just do it all at once
>>
>>1069894
Yeah, you can switch the missing piece with just pvc, make sure you have to correct parts to fit them together and keep all your receipts, you'll probably have to return a few parts because you got the wrong ones.
>>
>>1069900

Thanks. I've never done this and I'm kinda trying to figure out how to navigate Home Depot's catalog.

Is there a guide to which parts to buy for this?
>>
>>1069862
The turntable is a Yamaha p700. I actually haven't opened it up yet, so there really isn't much to see. I'm trying to find a service manual, but so far, all the ones I see need to be paid for.
>>
>>1069903
>Is there a guide to which parts to buy for this?

Its like a puzzle.
Take a picture of your setup, make sure you know what size the pipe is, then you just go to the store and get a handful of pieces you think will fit.

Once you do it, youll realize its a lot easier than it seems
>>
>>1069923
And when I mean "know what size" I mean figure out if you need a 1-1/2 pipe or a 1-1/4 pipe. IIRC those are the two that are standard.

You hack saw down any of the plastic pipes down to length as needed, or you can add extension pieces.
>>
>>1069927
>I mean figure out if you need a 1-1/2 pipe or a 1-1/4 pipe.
Disposer, tailpiece from basket = kitchen sink
This will be 1-1/2" drain
>>
If I take two 200 amp 75 mv shunts and place them in series then hook one of the sense wires to each one, will it make the equivalent of a 200a/150mv shunt and not melt?
>>
>>1069783
Looks perfect, thank you!
>>
File: dado.jpg (216KB, 1477x819px) Image search: [Google]
dado.jpg
216KB, 1477x819px
I need to pick up a dado set, anyone have any opinions on either of these?

www.amazon.com/Freud-Professional-Stacked-Dado-SD208/dp/B0000223O9/

www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SDS-0842-8-Inch-Tooth-Stack/dp/B0012YF25Q/
>>
File: 55486788.gif (2MB, 300x322px) Image search: [Google]
55486788.gif
2MB, 300x322px
How can I paint a galvanized steel toolbox so I won't chip?

I've never been good at painting, only recently started using primer.
>>
File: hello-kitty-chainsaw.jpg (136KB, 1023x687px) Image search: [Google]
hello-kitty-chainsaw.jpg
136KB, 1023x687px
>>1069983

you dont unless yr a fagget. toolboxes are supposed to be chipped, dented, and have smears of paint and greasy fingerprints.
>>
Can I cut a piece of granite with a carbide blade hacksaw well? I don't mind if it takes 12 hours. The granite is one inch thick, maybe 5 inches wide, and 12 inches long. I want to cut it into a hexagon or circle.
Also, what could I use to cut rectangular grooves onto the granite surface?
I might need to drill a few holes into it. I assume carbide bits with water would be okay, or no?
>>
>>1069904
>I actually haven't opened it up yet, so there really isn't much to see
So, how can we discover if there is any problem?
>>
>>1070058
If you have an angle grinder, buy a diamond tile cutting blade (4 inch) to cut the granite.

If you're careful, you can also cut the grooves in it with the same blade.
>>
>>1069983
Get it really really clean, and use a self etching primer. It should work fine
>>
>>1070039
It's for sex toys and bondage gear. I want to make it a little more inconspicuous.
>>
>>1070058
>>1070242
Make sure you wear your respirator, silicosis is a bitch.
>>
>>1070314
Why not get a tupperware tote like a normal person?
>>
>>1067532
>>>1069037
>Invent a pump system that reliably moves water from a lake to a lakehouse without having to be monitored constantly and with a fault-to-breakdown tolerance greater than three seconds.
>
>Apparently this is impossible so you should enjoy the challenge.

I lol'd. Thanks for that.
>>
Are there any tricks to quieting down circular saws? If not, I'm in the market for the quietest one I can find so I can be a good neighbor, and be able to run tools later at night. Corded or cordless, won't matter for my usage, thoughts?
>>
>>1069192
And it's worth every penny.

Or maybe I just got a faulty one.
>>
>>1070490
That's like asking for the quietest two-stroke chainsaw.
>>
File: 1470873472626.jpg (37KB, 269x270px)
1470873472626.jpg
37KB, 269x270px
Does anyone have that info graph of a hollowed out van made into a house? It showed how to do everything.
>>
>>1070490

Get a hand saw you dummy
>>
Two questions:

I want to get into microcontrollers and embedded systems. I've been reading on the subject, but I want to start tinkering. Where should I start?

I thought about a simple PIC and work my way up to more complicated stuff from there.

2. I have an unclean as hell electric razor. The bladed head can me removed. I would like to immerse it in some liquid to get the dirt off without damaging the metal blades. Is it possible? How should I proceed?
>>
>>1070521
>I thought about a simple PIC

dont waste time on dead-end technology coz those arcane skills are not re-usable. you wanna learn arduino at least, or better yet, RasPi level technology like the Odroid, etc.

> I would like to immerse it in some liquid

my Philips says to run it under water, which has been fine for years. my Panasonic has a special liquid you're supposed to buy, but i just run it under water as well, without incident. once a month, i take it all apart and use a toothbrush and soap.
>>
>>1070521
Thanks. I did that about the shaver.

I have an anon disagreeing with you in a different thread, pointed him/her here.
>>1070550

Do you want to review your answer or offer a counterpoint?
Bear in mind I want to get a job in embedded (aerospace graduate here).
>>
>>1070555

as far as i know, aerospace folks dont use commercial controllers at all, coz they dont have the reliability certifications they require. so it's all industrial PLC type stuff, which is a completely different ballgame, and no commercial product will prepare you for it. you can find online training on these, but you wont be able to afford any of the actual parts to play with.

RasPi level devices are for tinkerers who actually wanna do high-level stuff simply, for example sending email alerts when something occurs. or displaying results using color charts, instead of using dinky 2-line LCD screens. PICs and Arduinos require a lot of extra stuff to do what modern-day users expect from their gadgets, whereas RasPi level devices have it all.

of course, the ideal device would be something like an Android phone with Arduino-type I/O in the back. if you wanna be a millionaire, just invent one of those.
>>
>>1070533
This is fucking stupid.
Arduino is a shit high level development environment running on an Atmel microcontroller through a boot loader and a bunch of shit routines that just reduces your ability to use chip features properly.
Microchip who make pic bought out Atmel recently so saying pic is dying is fucking dumb. Arduino as a company was until recently two different open source free hardware hippie commune Italian companies arguing about who owned the rights to a completely open software platform. So a bunch of fucking lunatics.
Yes if you want to bend over backwards for an unnecessary operating system and include copies of licences for open source software in anything you share by all means use a cut down computer like raspi.
If you want a good introduction to embedded/microcontrollers get a pic or an atmega or some shit and write some assembly code for it.
>>
>>1070533
>dont waste time on dead-end technology coz those arcane skills are not re-usable. you wanna learn arduino at least, or better yet, RasPi level technology like the Odroid, etc.

Epic quality bait.

If not bait, you're dumb as shit.
>>
>>1070650
>>1070652
Thanks for the input, dear anons.
>>
File: butthurt.png (210KB, 500x451px)
butthurt.png
210KB, 500x451px
>>1070650

always fun to see a butthurt fanboy.

the very fact that Microchip bought Atmel is proof positive that the PIC line was dead in the water, and that they had no other technology to compete with Atmel's popularity. a company isnt gonna spend $3.6 billion to buy a competitor if they can simply out-compete them for free.

it's time for fanboys to see the same trend. PIC is a dead man walking.
>>
File: logic404.jpg (69KB, 697x396px) Image search: [Google]
logic404.jpg
69KB, 697x396px
>>1070672
>>
File: IMG_20161014_170855770.jpg (2MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161014_170855770.jpg
2MB, 2592x1456px
>>1070116
Okay, I took it apart, and I think I found the problem. Pic related.
>>
File: IMG_20161014_170909681.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161014_170909681.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>1070690
I think one of the capacitors in the bottom right have gone bad. Here's a picture just to make sure.
>>
File: IMG_20161014_170926364.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161014_170926364.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>1070691
Alternate angle.
>>
Why aren't homes built into mountainsides more common, nowadays? You see them a lot in the ancient world, but now it would be a weird endeavor to dig a cave out of a mountain and make it livable.

What gives?
>>
>>1070702
I'd say carving rock is time consuming and the location would be suboptimal.
>>
>>1070691
>>1070694
Appears to be glue. But this glue is strange, there is something inside it? Like, bubbles or dirt?
>>
>>1070702
Because it requires too much manual work?
It's easier to blast the rocks with dynamite and after this build what you want. Also, you have less control when carving. The mountain can just fall over your head. You have many many tons of rock above your head, and somehow need to make sure they are kept in place.
>>
File: Half-open Intel 478 fan.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
Half-open Intel 478 fan.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
How can I remove this fan from it's black plastic base?
>>
>>1070706
Yeah, there are bubbles inside of it. It is relatively soft, in the areas closest to the side of the cap, but seems to get harder as it gets farther away. It is also the only capacitor on that board that is glued down, and there is another one that has is the same height but thicker on it.
>>
>>1069771
glue
or both if your not into half assery
http://www.trim-tex.com/files/7814/4424/6976/9010_Tear_Away_Instruction.pdf
>>
>>1070521
>unclean as hell electric razor
barbicide
>>
>>1070706
>Appears to be glue
this
It's glue
>>
>>1070717
Being glued isn't a problem, it's to prevent vibration. Can you please observe the turntable working opened, to see if there is a mechanical cause?

If there isn't an obvious mechanical fault, or leaked/stuffed capacitor, I think I can't help much. I don't know how to instruct you to test components. Maybe you should look energy entrance? Wires with problems.
>>
>>1070758
There isn't really much to observe to be honest. I guess that I will have to buy a service manual, since I can not find one for free online.
>>
Guys, I bought this kind of fabric and I'm using it in a project right now, the problem is it's quite shiny. Is there a way to remove the shine from this using normal house stuff?
>>
>>1069765
>I got a direct drive turntable that seems to play a bit slow sometimes.
Are you sure it's not some kind of sound effect on the disc?
>>
>>1069765
>I need to give it a 5 minute "warm up" period so that it can get up to the proper speed.

Sounds like old, thickened, lubricant.

Locate the bearings (or sleeve bushings) and put a tiny drop of fresh thin oil on them.

If that has a positive effect, find the proper procedure for a re-lube
>>
Cleaning pencil from indoor paint? I was hanging drapes today and made a bunch of pencil lines on my wall for the hanger. I tried cleaning them with 409 and it didn't even remotely clean them off. Is there a contractor tip for this?
>>
Do I really need all three of those clips? As you can see I still have one.
>>
File: Exhaust_manifold.jpg (92KB, 560x375px)
Exhaust_manifold.jpg
92KB, 560x375px
So my cars exhaust pipe had this cover that was very rusty and i decided to cover up the rust. I sanded the old rust/paint down to bare metal and sprayed it with tectyl bodysafe wax which is supposed to be "thermal resistant". Now it has been drying for about 24 hours and yet it feels sticky to touch. Nothing comes off if i slide my finger on the surface but it definently feels sticky. The spray is supposed to form a bitumen like film. So will this stuff melt as it is so close to the exhaust and how do i know when it is dry enough. And no the can itself doesn't specify any temperatures just says "heat resistant".
>>
>>1070845
Works on crayon, pencil, scuffs, dirt, etc.
Will not remove ball-point or other inks which penetrate the paint.
Seems to be a soft sponge with very fine abrasive in the compound.
>>
>>1070854
I'm sure the factory designed it wrong and paid someone to make and install those un-nesessary parts because that's just the kind of thing factories do to keep costs up.
>>
File: 1668782797.png (530KB, 1280x800px)
1668782797.png
530KB, 1280x800px
>>1070899
>I sanded the old rust/paint down to bare metal and sprayed it with tectyl bodysafe wax

just why?
>>
>>1070691
that's glue.
>>
>>1067532
for a /diy/ board why are there so many 1d10t5 that ask how to do stuff?
>>
File: 1473166606285.jpg (24KB, 275x281px)
1473166606285.jpg
24KB, 275x281px
>>1070938
because i had it already and couldn't find any high heat spray paint from nearby stores. How fucked am i (how to unfuck myself)?
>>
>>1070953
>>1070938
I think i have to specify that i didn't paint the exhaust pipe itself just the heat plate/cover.
>>
>>1070946
Because people come here to discover how to do things by themselves.
>>
>>1067532
I'm planning on making a solar panel system
I bought some cracked/damaged solar cells off ebay and soldered them together and it's working great so far
what I would like to know is that:
I want to make a system that could charge a battery bank. I'm looking to buy a solar panel regulator to charge the battery (12v)

I am a little confused at this part. The regulator says 20A 12/24v
Is that the max solar panel voltage/amperage or is that talking about it's max output?

If my solar panels produce 6A and 30V would I be able to hook up to this device?

>product in question:
https://www.amazon.com/CoZroom-Regulator-Intelligent-Environment-Monitoring/dp/B01ERF0LHA/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1476545018&sr=1-1&keywords=CoZroom+LCD+Solar+Panel+Adapter+Regulator+Intelligent+20A+12V%2F24V+for+Environment+Monitoring
>>
>>1067532
Looking to get a a TSSOP to DIP socket for cheap, something like this: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1280

I see some listed on eBay and AliExpress as SSOP34/TSSOP34, and others with TSSOP in the title but SSOP on the PCB. Are they compatible? Looking at the dimensions, most SSOP chips are a millimetre or two wider than TSSOP ones.
https://www.ichaus.de/upload/pdf/Package%20dimensions%20MSOP,%20SSOP,%20TSSOP-A2.pdf
>>
>>1071025
Pin spacings vary, package widths vary. There's no generic SSOP or TSSOP socket. Choose one fitting to ICs you're going to use and check their datasheets for dimensions.
>>
I've got a wood case that I'm trying to install some circuit boards in. I'm thinking that putting in standoffs like in a computer case would be the best option unless I wanted to make my own metal case or design something for a 3D printer (I don't)

Can I just drill a hole slightly smaller in radius than the standoff, then screw it in, or would that not work? Or is there are better option than standoffs that I'm not thinking of?
>>
>>1071071

dude, it it's a wood box, you either use wood screws with metal tubing to give it height, or you glue little squares to the bottom of the box, and screw into those. for standoffs, you'd need to tap the hole to get any kind of strength, and that's not something you wanna do unless the wood is very thick.
>>
redpill me on native australian flowers
>>
>>1071102
So something like this? Shorter though, of course
>>
>>1071071
>Or is there are better option than standoffs that I'm not thinking of?
double-sided sticky foam tape
>>
>>1068682
>is it safe
No, but it will work. Would be better to use something like an old PC PSU though. What limits the current and prevents a fuse from blowing is the surface area of the piece you want the rest removed from, the sacrificial electrodes and mainly how much electrolyte you put in the water. Do it outside or at least in a well ventilated area because if you just hook up a full bridge rectifier on mains to the electrodes in water you'll also get a shitload of oxygen/hydrogen.
>>
>>1069550
No. Fans with PWM control got 4 leads, you can only control yours via voltage. Buy a cheap fan controller, use the different voltages you can get directly from your PSU or use a potentiometer. Resistors work too obviously, but that won't allow you to change the fans rpm without replacing the resistor.
>>
I was trying to fix an old tape deck from the 70's today, and I replaced the belts, but it appears that one of the gears are cracked in the space between the teeth, which prevents fast forward from working correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can either fix this gear or find a replacement?

I was thinking that it might be best to find a replacement, but that might be difficult, so maybe gluing it together with superglue might work.
>>
>>1071183
If you can figure out what kind of polymer the gear is made of you could probably plastic weld it. Gluing also works really well with many polymers, but it would help to know what its made of to choose the right glue.
>>
>>1071183
I thought this was why 3D printers were invented.
>>
>>1071188
I'm not sure if I'd even be able to weld this gear together, since it's really small (it's smaller than the diameter of a dime).

I also have no clue how to identify what plastic the gear is made out of to be honest.
>>
>>1071188
>anon glues a 45 years-old plastic piece
>it breaks on another place
>>
>>1071212
Well, I'd just go for superglue then, not like you have anything to loose. Make some good photos of it before that though
>>
What's the safest and cheapest way to chrome plate a 3D printed object?

From what I understand there are three steps:

1) Print the object
>Probably use ABS; it's cheap, and once chromed the plastic won't be exposed to UV and shouldn't degrade

2) Prepare the object
>Sand it down to a smooth surface
>A) Paint on mixture of graphite, acetone and ABS plastic to create conductive, non-porous outer layer
>B) Prime surface then spray surface down with conductive paint

3) Plate the object
> Electroplate on copper
> Electroplate on nickel
> Electroplate on chrome

I'm not sure how to go about step 3. I know how to construct an electrolytic cell (background in metallurgy), but I'm not sure what solution to use as the electrolyte or what would make a good power supply.

For copper it sounds like an electrolytic solution made up of copper sulfate with a few drops of brightener is the way to go. A solution of copper acetate might also a possible option.

For nickel, you can create a solution of nickel acetate by dropping a nickel anode and a nickel cathode into vinegar and blowing hydrogen off of the cathode. I'm not sure if there's a more cost effective method.

I'm not sure if there's a safe way to plate chrome onto nickel.

Sorry for the rambling, half of my question is just me organising my thoughts. Does it sound feasible? What would be the cheapest way to procure a power supply for these electrolytic cells and to create the electrolyte itself?
>>
>>1071276
>chrome plate a 3D printed object
vacuum chamber
>>
Ayone has suggestions for a hobby for someone that lives in a small apartment and does not have and can't have acess to power tools and a decent workshop?
I already do origami, electronics and programing from work.
>>
File: 22025187.jpg (25KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
22025187.jpg
25KB, 320x240px
Is it safe to use another axe head as a wedge for splitting wood?
>>
>>1071332
This is the worst feeling. I never came up with a solution just did a lot of 3D/CAD work.
>>
>>1071343
>>
>>1071332
drawing
knitting
prostitution
photography
radio amateur shit
brewing
whittling
cooking/baking
watching movies
writing

But the real problem is that you need to find the answer yourself and then do something.
>>
>>1071338
>axe head as a wedge
Axe heads are hardened and should not strike or be struck by another hardened tool.
Wedge heads are not hardened.
>>
>>1071353
don't forget you can combine these

i.e.
>prostitution
>radio amateur shit

radio amateurs are usually lonely, broadcast ads about your sister
>>
>>1071276
Safe? Well, you'll have some nasty chrome salts in your solution, that's no problem as long as you properly dispose of them.
>>
>>1071356
Thanks. What about annealing it? I have a lot more axe heads than wedges.
>>
>>1070899
>>1070953

>tectyl bodysafe wax

this is asphalt based undercoating, it wont dry.
if you put it on in such a way that it will melt and drip onto the exhaust manifold or catalytic converter you might have a fire hazard. Next time use something like VHT exhaust coating.

also that fresh hot asphalt smell is something to look forward to
>>
>>1071071
drill holes for the stand offs and glue them in?
>>
>>1071332
lapidary
>>
>>1071434
Doesn't that need a grinder?
>>
File: Naamloos-1.jpg (442KB, 500x1000px)
Naamloos-1.jpg
442KB, 500x1000px
Wanted to start a thread but thought I should be asking here first... first time on /diy/ actually.

I use this on my flash for nightclub photography, to diffuse the light a bit. It's not much.

I was thinking about creating a bigger one myself. A fun thing to do I guess. But can anyone in here give me some tips? The white is like a "plasticcy" cloth material. What about the other materials? The backside inside is this silver reflective material.

What about assembling it?

Would appreciate it!
>>
>>1071458

the first post here suggests you should ''google first.'' if you do that you'll find at least 1000 DIY projects for doing what you want.
>>
>>1071459
No, I want these specific materials as this one works very good even though it is very small.
>>
>>1071461
So buy a bigger one.
>>
>>1071461

go to the store where you bought it and ask what the material is called and where you can buy it. Or google it.
>>
>>1071473
>>1071480
Really guys?

I bought it online. I haven't found anything like this.

Am I on the right board? Is this /diy/?

I want to make one myself. Do it myself.
>>
>>1071482

there are only 128 people in the entire world who know what that material is, and none of them are here.
>>
>>1069366
You COULD try to wash your hands with soap, you know.
>>
>>1069037
>Can anyone recommend me a small DIY hobby that does not take up an inordinate amount of space and results in a finished/working object?
Electronics. Do little projects, make switches and logic circuits. Get into arduinos and put "intelligent" lights on all your shit. Have a computer in a sardine tin.

Electronics is cheap due to most parts being very cheap. Only need solder iron, breadboard and a few other initial purchases, then you can salvage components when you need them for free (switches, motors, relays) and buy jelly bean parts when you need them (resistors, capacitors etc).
>>
File: 1466771213751.gif (2MB, 451x250px)
1466771213751.gif
2MB, 451x250px
>>1070514
I do not. But check out FFcossag on YT.
>>
I know virtually nothing about machine tools. How energy intensive is precision manufacturing? Could a hypothetical manufacturer produce lawnmower engines or machineguns with hand tools and maybe 2kw worth of electricity?

I'm doing a nerd thought experiment on how industrial revolution would look if it had no access to fossil fuels but plenty of time to develop alternatives.
>>
>>1071526
If you have all the time in the world you can machine precision tools with only a few stationary machines, like a basic mill with transversal platform, a lathe for metalwork etc. You still need the knowhow to use it and the time do do it. As well as high quality blanks and materials, in addition to high precision gauges, feelers etc. But yes. You don't need the latest Samsung Omni Ultra Giga Nigga 9995 to make precision tools. But you do need skills.

youube: oxtoolco
>>
>>1071510
I want to prevent, not remediate.
>>
>>1071562
Wear gloves? I really don't see the problem here. Get your hands dirty, son.
>>
>>1071183
>>1071188
>>1071212
>>1071213
This is the gear that I am referring to on a penny for scale.
>>
File: 20161016_181838_HDR.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20161016_181838_HDR.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
I'm growing some lemons indoors but got a late start on the 'growing' season. Also I'm in canada.
How do I keep the lemons alive in the winter?
I'm going to keep the room at room temperature but I'm worried about the amount of sunlight relative to the amount of cold from the windows I have them near.
My windows are tilted such that they'll be getting sun for most of the hours it's up but is there some way to get them more sun?
Pic related, I grew them from seeds from a lemon I ate and just repotted them today as I noticed they'd started out growing their pots.
>>
>>1071332
Grow some plants! Plants are my best friend's since everyone I knew moved out of town. They're like pets but they don't have any of the annoying clean up and training. If you grow things you can eat it's even better!
>>
>>1071627
I wish I could anon... I had a beautiful garden when I was underage and lived with my parents. I grew everything there. My apartment doesn't get that much light and there is little space for anything. Maybe I get a potted pepper or some rosemary though.

Out of curiosity what do you have currently? Aside from a edible garden I had a wonderful collection of carnivore plants, almost 30 species!
>>
>>1071626
You could get a grow light. Apparently they need blue, red, and infrared light
>>
File: IMG_0368.jpg (450KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0368.jpg
450KB, 1536x2048px
I stripped this screw by accident since it was old and erroding. I tried buying a screw remover from home depot but it didnt't work. Is my only option to use a disc drill and screwdriver it out? Was trying to fix a leaking faucet
>>
>>1069568
Go to harbor freight for consumables
>>
>>1071659

given that it's exposed like that, you could just buy a hacksaw blade for 99 cents. wrap it in tape so you can hold it tight.
>>
>>1070854
How about you just trust the manufacturers design and use the springs
>>
>>1070832
>oil in a bearing
shiggity diggity doo
>>
>>1071592
If I were trying to salvage it, I'd locate some thin-wall tubing that is a pressure fit for the hub.

The tubing would squeeze the hub closed so it would grab the shaft and at the same time close most of the gap in the toothed portion.

If I couldn't find suitable brass or aluminum tubing (old ball-point pen cart?) I'd wrap thread tightly around it hub to close the gap and then put a drop of super-glue on just the thread to hold it in place.
>>
>>1071627
>Grow some plants
>>1071627
>They're like pets
>>1071627
>grow things you can eat

Please don't ear your pets, anon.
>>
>>1067721
just skim and remove the dried up/crusted grease, seal that can properly and it'll last. Petroleum products, unless HEAVILY MODIFIED, will last NEAR FOREVER, as far as a human is concerned.
>>
>>1071659
>Was trying to fix a leaking faucet
turn water off at stops
loosen white ring - pull cartridge/ball up
if bad seals/inserts, replace them and put back together
If bad cartridge/ball, replace it.
you'll have the parts out and easier to recover the bracket for the handle
(or buy a new bracket when you buy the cartridge/ball)
>>
>>1070708
manual labor not so much,
INSURANCE AND LIABILITY, DEAR GOD, THE LIABILITY OF A FUCK UP AND SEVERAL METRIC TONS OF ROCK AND DIRT FALLING ON TIMMY'S STUFFED BEAR!!!

More than likely, its because there is no real future (meaning changeable/upgrade-able) direction for development of that property, the only way you can grow it is to dig in further or extend decking outwards. Versus a cheap lumber framed extension upwards, downwards, sideways.

American is all about the cheapest and fastest expansion/upgrades possible. Europe is about longevity and increasing quality to the point of having to inherit property or massive money to have ANY property.

WEEEEEEE!!!
>>
>>1071002
convert your voltage/amperage to 20A 12volt, or get more solar cells and hook up in parallel to bring up that Amperage.
>>
>>1071592
Get clay, push into clay, use tooth pick and such to create missing cavity for broken tooth on gear, melt plastic and pour into open clay cavity, wait to solidify, sand and use.
>>
>>1071739
>create missing cavity for broken tooth on gear
>melt plastic and pour into open clay cavity

>how to copy a cracked gear and end up with a new cracked gear
also: would require injection/pressure molding - not pouring in

The gear is cracked - it doesn't have a missing tooth

>>1071183
>one of the gears are cracked in the space between the teeth

It cracked from years of pressure because it required an interference fit to stay on the shaft securely enough to apply torque.
>>
>>1071673
Thanks the hacksaw blade worked great
>>
>>1071633
Lemons, herbs, and pair of cacti right now but in the sunny times I grow sweet peas, normal peas, carrots, strawberries and catnip in the family garden. I help with a bunch of boring flowers but I like things that you can eat

>>1071724
On one hand chickens are totally pets you can eat, and so are lambs and the like. But I actually have 4 cats, 2 dogs, and 2 fish. The fish refuse to die and are older then the house I'm in now by 3 years. They kill everything we put in the tank. They were supposed to be bottom feeders. Plants make better pets then the pets in most cases unless it's cold and you have the cats come snuggle.
>>
File: aluminum.png (6KB, 283x345px)
aluminum.png
6KB, 283x345px
Okay, stuck with a materials question and you're the closest thing to a proper machinework-related board, /diy/.

I'm trying to find any official model numbers or naming nomeclature for two aluminum frame extrusions shown in the pic. The original stock was from Taiwan, which coded them as 015B and 030 for that particular company. However, company's doing a tech transfer into the mainland and we need to find the equivalent materials here as well, and I'm stuck trying to figure out sourcing even though it's not even my department.
>>
>>1071763
You need to show your pic to suppliers.
>>
>>1071765
Problem with that is we've pored through the ENTIRE catalog for Mainland standard model numbers and came up with nothing. Asking for custom work is a one-way ticket to price gouging, which is part of the reason I'm trying to locate any outside/foreign model numbers for the shapes.
>>
>>1071761
>On one hand chickens are totally pets you can eat, and so are lambs and the like.

They're only pets if you name them.
If you name them, you shouldn't eat them.
>>
Okay, so I had a really cool shitty idea today.

You know how some people can ride their bikes without needing to move the handles? I was thinking it could be a neat little trick if I could play the drums while on the bike.

Basically, I'm asking how you could do this, but make it sound less shitty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuowlUTb_s4

Safety concerns aside, what would the easiest way to approach this be?
>>
File: IMG_0374.jpg (570KB, 1536x2048px)
IMG_0374.jpg
570KB, 1536x2048px
Is this rust or is it from welding? This is the underside of my faucet. If it's rust then can I probably get some spray on rust remover then take out the faucet?
>>
>>1071761
That is very nice anon. Did you planted the lemons yourself or you bought them? I think I'll try doing that with pomegranate (it's my favorite thing ever) but it's hard to come by a small one or make them grow (they are imports so they get frozen)
>>
File: Wood-framed_house.jpg (144KB, 1083x546px) Image search: [Google]
Wood-framed_house.jpg
144KB, 1083x546px
I think this is the most appropriate place to ask.

What's it called when you purchase a house while it's under construction? Like... The outside is finished, but the inside is still just a bunch of wood.

I remember there was a specific word for it. Millionaires do it when they purchase mansions because they want to design it the exact way they want because mansions are extremely old and outdated so you might want to make it more modern or what have you.

Maybe it was called a framed house, I'm not sure.
>>
Moved into our new home home that has some additions the previous owners set up (at least in the past decade or so). One of these additions had to have a small "room" added to the basement, but they forgot to cover all of the insulation up for that room on the ceiling. Once it gets covered up, the clearance of the room will be much less than 5 feet, due to the construction.

Any way to have that shit covered up without sacrificing too much of the clearance we have in there? I don't think the room can be used for anything other than storage because of the height, but I'd rather try to maximize the space we get depending on how the ceiling shit gets sorted.
>>
I got a used dewalt battery chainsaw, is it normal for it to use an entire tank of chain oil for like 10 logs?
>>
>>1071993
"10 logs" is a strange unit of measure. How thick are the logs and how many cuts are you making in each log.

With a gas saw, you replace the chain oil every time you fill the gas tank. So I guess the answer is : yes, a chainsaw goes through chain oil very fast.
>>
>>1071999
Tree is barely 4" thick, so cutting those fire log length. It's taking nearly 2 tanks of oil for maybe an hour of run time.
>>
>>1071812
Your pic isn't that clear but sometimes the rusty part holding the faucet in will break allowing the faucet to be removed.
Occasionally, the part won't break and is too rusted to remove easily.
If you just can't get it off from beneath the sink,
removing a sink like yours is only a couple of extra steps and makes getting the faucet out much easier.
turn stops to OFF
disconnect supply line
using a pail, remove trap
if disposer is installed, remove at connecting ring
>leave 'basket' in place
screwdriver removes sink clips
lift sink out and work on a tabletop or somewhere convenient

That sounds like a lot of work but it's really not that bad.
It's a fifteen minute job to remove the sink.

Good luck either way.

t. property maintenance
>>
>>1071820
>The outside is finished, but the inside is still just a bunch of wood.

dry box, dry in, or in the dry
>>
File: IMG_0375.jpg (552KB, 1536x2048px)
IMG_0375.jpg
552KB, 1536x2048px
>>1072111
Do I need to just remove the copper tubbing at the top? The ones that go through the sink to underneath? I have two more pictures to show what I'm working with
>>
File: IMG_0376.jpg (579KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0376.jpg
579KB, 1536x2048px
>>1072130
And last picture. I have some plastic shut off valves on top of the regular one at the bottom
>>
/diy/ I have a 1000w power supply I need to drive 2.0-3.4V LEDs. I have some converters to deliver 700mA of constant current to the LEDs which are controlled through PWM.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181940997254

Each of these converters can handle varying voltages, but can they be ran off the 1000w PSU in series/parallel? I'm not trying to run higher amps, I just cant fit all my LEDs on the same converter.

What do i do if I have other things that need power from that supply?
>>
>>1072130
>>1072132
The copper tubing is part of the faucet and can't be removed.
Disconnect the stainless steel flex line at the copper line or at the bottom.
Use two wrenches - one to hold the 'nut' on the copper and another to turn the nut on the ss line.
The white ones are the ones to shut off.
Test that they are shut all the way by turning on the faucet again before removing the trap.
>>
>>1072212
I looked at >>1072132
>File: IMG_0376.jpg
more closely and see that the ss line is permanently attached to the stop,
Just remove at the coppcer-stnainless junction.

sorry about the misinfo above
>>
>>1072212
>>1072215
That's cool you've been really helpful. Been asking on /g/ at the same time
>>
>>1071735
thanks for that. Never thought of looking into converters
I'm planning on making a solar powered ball mill using the motor from an old drill hooked up to the panel
>>
>>1071731
>the only way you can grow it is to dig in further
Then you remove the support of the rocks and they fall down on your head.
>>
>>1070785
dirt
dye
feces
>>
>>1070845
an eraser?
>>
if i wanted to sculpt something out of sculpey, how could i replicate it with a plastic mold? whats the process of doing so?
>>
File: lots-of-candles.jpg (39KB, 590x332px) Image search: [Google]
lots-of-candles.jpg
39KB, 590x332px
I need to fill huge area with 1k+ tealight candles but all floor has old carpet on it and it cannot be removed. It dangerous to place them just straight on the carpet, don't want any fire or marks. So I am wondering is there any cheap material I can put behind candles to avoid fire? For example, would 1-2 layers of kitchen grade aluminum wrap do the trick? Appreciate for your answers
>>
>>1072440
silicone, my man. there are silicone mold makers around if you look, or you could try to get 100% silicone & make your own from a recipe. it all depends on the type of item you're making a mold from.

make sure you bake the polymer clay item beforehand, of course. only really used super sculpey over regular sculpey since i didn't like the soft texture of the latter so can't say much in regards to baking quirks.
>>
>>1071566
Sorry, I was replying on the wrong thread.
>>
>>1072520
thanks man, much appreciated.
>>
How the fuck do I add a grippy texture to a suede glove like pic related?

Shit's slippery as fuck. I don't trust caulk or plastidip to actually stick to the material, and I hate working with liquid latex so I don't want to go straight for that.

Any ideas? I just want small little dots on each finger segment
>>
>>1072520
would it be best to use sculpey for a figurine to be molded?
>>
>>1072511
Asbestos is pretty good at that, from what I hear.
>>
>>1072909
sew/adhere (id do both) teflon (ptfe) strips where you want grip.
>>
File: IMG_0580.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0580.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Trying to make a play gym for my cockatiel and hit a bit of a snag
Bright idea was to get a bunch of 1" PVC fittings and use wooden dowels in place of PVC pipe
Only problem is that the closest sized dowels are either really loose in the fittings, or extremely tight. Would a it be wise to try and widen the fittings with a dremel when I have a chance, assuming I can do so without making a melted PVC nightmare, or does anyone have any better ideas?
>>
>>1073516

Just sand the tight dowels down?

Or throw em in the freezer ( the dowels ) for an hour or two to shrink em.
>>
>>1072511
So many candles in a closed room are dangerous for the combustion products alone.

Also do this before you go any further: take 70 or so tealights, place them as close together as possible, light them in an environment without wind and see what happens in 15 or so minutes. All the wax melts, starts to boil and eventually catches fire. Happened when I was a kid in my geography class, teacher wanted to use it as inner tropic convergence model, didn't put them out soon enough. Sure was impressive tho.

A single tealight won't get hot enough to damage carpet as long as you don't let it burn out. Just as boiling water never goes above 100°C your tealight won't go above the melting point of the wax used, which isn't high enough to fuck up your carpet.

If you want an insulator and/or something to prevent wax stains I guess you could use cardboard with a layer of aluminium foil over it.
>>
>>1072913
it's just a matter of preference honestly. both normal & super both have their pros & cons, so up to that anon and how they like the "feel" of one polymer clay over the other
>>
>>1073613
i dont have much experience, but i feel like i need something a tad bit softer than sculpey. could you recommend some specific products? please and thanks
>>
>>1067851
/ck/ here. You could go with Alton Brown's method:
>box fan
>furnace filters
>bungee cords

>add food to filters
>bungee filters to fan
>run fan
>????
>PROFIT!!!!!
>>
>>1067992
Read about tin nano whiskers. All the sodder points in everything electronic you own has tiny tin "hairs" growing from them. These will short circut your electronics. You can remove them by brushing the circutboard with a soft toothbrush. If you look at the sodder through a microscope you can see the tin nano hairs everywhere. You know how all computers and phones slow down after about a year? These hairs are to blame. They are why new electronics only last about 4 years
>>
>>1068585
Take the computer apart, find the microphone, unplug all the unplugable wires, clean the contacts with 90% isopropyl alcohol and q-tips, then look at the circutboard through a microscope, see the metallic hairs growing from the sodder, remove them by brushing the circutboard with a soft toothbrush.
>>
>>1069037
Build a fusor, or just mess with high voltage
>>
>>1069370
Ask >>1067656 for some grease
>>
>>1072511
Tin foil may work. Also why do you want all the candles? Are you proposing or something?
>>
>>1071772
You name the chickens the dinner they will become, problem solved >>1073708
>>
How high above the ground are thunder head clouds? I want to use a lightning bolt as a power supply. I plan on sending a balloon attached to a thin wire up during a lightning storm to get a lightning bolt to strike where I want it to. I promise I am not trying to reanimated anything, I want to shrink a quarter but don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on supercapacitors
>>
>>1073707
I'm me. But I shouldn't put grease on the screws!
>>
File: CAM01153.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
CAM01153.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Call me a retard for asking this, but pic related is the WRONG way to put the disc in? (Took the pic this way so that both of the arrows show up)
Im just not sure whether the grinder arrow relates to the upper edge or the lower edge.
>>
>>1073785
The arrows are pointing in the direction of rotation, to remind you which way the wheels spins. The arrows should be pointing in same direction, doesn't have to be both up.
>>
File: yeah.jpg (58KB, 650x651px)
yeah.jpg
58KB, 650x651px
>>1071817
I grew them from seeds! Funny story, I tried incubating them like I read online but also just planted a shit ton into a large pot. The incubated ones died as soon as I took them out of their little special places and 3 weeks after I planted then the ones I put into the large plant all started growing.

Possibly helpful tip, I found out that ceramic pots work alot better then clay pots. The clay pot ones are only 3 inchs tall and the ones I put into the ceramics just got repotted last week and are about a foot and a half tall. Might just be a thing with lemons though.

I was reading that lemon plants need acidic soil and so I was reading online that you can use some coffee grounds for that but I can't find any solid info about how much to use or how to apply it. I've tried google but I think there's some kind of secret league of lemon growers that are trying to hid the information about growing lemons indoors. Please send help DIY, I'd go out and ask someone about lemon trees but I'm in canada and people don't grow them up here.
>>
>>1071772
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIO36C7BTF4

Even gordan agrees you can name your dinner.
>>
File: red soi.jpg (46KB, 640x480px)
red soi.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
>>1074533
Luckly where I live the red soil is very acidic (farmers need to put lime in it to plant but when the PH is corrected it's 15/10 soil). I can't wait to graduate and buy my farm. [spoiler]in 10 years ;_;[/spoiler]
>>
>>1074537
Is that Australia or do other places have crazy red soil like that?
Also in 10 years? Are you in grade 2?
>>
>>1074539
Brazil. No, just university, threw a couple years there to actually acquire money for land.
>>
>>1073711
Sorry, I don't know about the height, but I do know that you're going to need an extremely thick wire, or else it will just burn out.
>>
File: 6944453_f1024.jpg (138KB, 1024x724px)
6944453_f1024.jpg
138KB, 1024x724px
If I want to solder a USB cable's wires to some connectors on a PCB to use it as a power cable, do I have to solder the data wires or will just the power and ground wires work?
>>
>>1074645
>to use it as a power cable

Data lines aren't needed for power only use.
>>
>>1074645
Just the 2 power cables.
If you buy a cheap usb charging cable, some dont even come with signal wires
>>
Electrical system question:

have a 15,000 sq foot barn I plan to convert into a 20bbl brewing operation and may need higher voltage to run certain appliances.

However, the barn currently has 2 110v lines running to 2 separate breaker boxes. Can I have the electrical system updated and combined into a 220v service and how would I go about doing so?
>>
>>1074729
Yeah, but I've already got a USB cable lying around. I've just cut the green and white wires whorter than the red and black ones, I'm not going to solder them to the circuit board, and I'm just going to pretend they don't exist. I'm just worried that having the loose wires like that could have some unknown dangers, since I'm a novice at this sort of thing

>>1074722
Thanks lad
>>
>>1074645
Technically a USB port is only supposed to give a small amount of power and the device has to request more. But it's uncommon to actually implement that, and more common to just have protection for short circuits.
>>
>>1074591
I plan on making it a one time use thing, magnet wire is cheap enough. I plan on filling bags with hydrogen as it is cheap and I don't want to waste helium. I also need to build a mount for the wire spool that can rotate, as the balloon will spin in the air.
>>
>>1073711
>I want to shrink a quarter
for what purpose
>>
File: freud.jpg (40KB, 519x328px)
freud.jpg
40KB, 519x328px
>>1074884
For the purpose of shrinking a quarter.
>>
File: JhZF0y9.jpg (430KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
JhZF0y9.jpg
430KB, 900x1200px
I need to make a couple hundred rips through 3/4 oak ply with a 7 1/4 circular saw. What would be your go-to blade for the cleanest cut possible? I'm going to make something like this guy did, so the better a finish it leaves the less I need to clean it up afterwards. Right now I'm thinking about going with https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IPHG9I
>>
>>1074919
Bitch, you about to find out why people have table saws. I dont care if you have a fucking track saw, you are in for a world of disappointment and unnecessary pain.

>Oak plywood
>Laminate the sides up

Kek
>>
>>1067532
Can anyone explain to me why a voltage spike occurs in the turn-on transient of a pn diode?
>>
does this look like 1x6 or 1x8 inch lumber to y'all
>>
>>1075067
Those are clearly sado-ergonomic 2x6s anon.
>>
>>1074879
It will explode.
>>
I'm looking for a large toggle switch with cover, anybody know what the largest size they come in is?
>>
File: 20161024_163438.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161024_163438.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>1075087
the by6 is what I needed

I'm gonna make a layer of 1x6 in one pattern and a second in another pattern and bolt them together
>>
>>1075108
>>1075087
>>1075067
now of course, the real question.

how do I get the thing to be paralelle and square?...
>>
>>1075022
No budget for a table saw right now, so, ya'know, run whatcha brung. The only reason I was going with oak was that it was the thickest plywood at my local Lowe's or Home Depot. The other option is 1 1/8" tongue and groove underlayment, which I might go for instead after I actually check it out in person, I just wanted to check that it doesn't have major voids. Sides up is a waste of nice wood, I just wanted something interesting, and busy enough that I won't notice minor imperfections as it wears.
>>
File: g94FHR9.jpg (253KB, 500x750px)
g94FHR9.jpg
253KB, 500x750px
>>1067532
How much would it cost to build a house like this?

I was thinking of asking my brother in law, maybe offering a good 10k of cash upfront. I really wanna get this done as soon as possible with as little cash as possible.
>>
>>1075110
Straightedges and framing squares are your friends, anon. Possibly a bevel gauge, but it's not completely necessary.
>>
>>1075141
>framing squares
the angle is not 90 or 45 degrees...unless my math is WAY off(and it might be) the angle is like 75 degrees

yes I am an idiot, could you help me not be as dumb as I was this morning?
my self-imposed deadline for the project is friday evening
>>
>>1075142
correction, the triangle is 76-76-28 degrees
>>
>>1067656
i don't know about your fan issue and my spanish is rusty, but apparently that whole can is some kind of liquid mexican currency, 500,000 worth when full
>>
>>1073711
your average model rocket will go high enough to trigger a strike (way cheaper than a tank of helium), they do that all the time in sand pits and then dig up the 4-6 foot long glass that was formed.

you don't have to go all the way to the cloud, but just high enough so that the artificial tracer you made is the path of least resistance.

search youtube for slowmo wide angle lightning strikes and you can see what looks like a bunch bolts come up from the ground to the cloud. even at 1000 feet above the ground your thin gauge magnet wire still has less resistance than unionized air.

also expect ruptured ear drums if your anywhere near when it does strike your wire
>>
>>1074771
where are you located?

all basic residential lines in the US are 2 legs 220v, each leg is 110 and it alternates down the column at the breaker which is why 220v breakers take up 2 slots in a column.

unless your barn's wiring is so old its grandfathered into the codes, chances are your 220v incoming line is split and run to 2 separate breaker boxes. multiple boxes are common in old buildings. when they had 40amp service and upgraded they just put another 60amp beside it to make 100amp service and so on.

if your starting a business pay an electrician to rewire the place, chances are it will have to be for insurance reasons. go 480v 3 phase, power companies usually discount your bill because its less work they have to do on their end and each leg is still 110 volt. plus you'll have the power to stir up all that mash without it costing your a fortune.
>>
if my power goes out can i disable the main breaker and do a male to male from a generator into a wall socket to power my house? i understand it should only be used for 15 amps or so but is it technically possible?
>>
>>1075105
>It will explode.
that's part of the plan
>>
>>1075253
Technically, yes.
Though you should still hire an electrician to wire in a hookup, that way in the off chance you zap some poor wire jockey 6 blocks over, your ass is covered.
>>
>>1075253
Yes, it is possible. Also, if you forget to disable the main breaker it's possible to kill a lineman.

Since you are connecting to an outlet, you will only power those devices on that leg of the service.

If a 240v device like an electric water heater attempts to operate it connects the other leg of the service through the heating element.
The same would apply if an electric range or similar appliance operated.

The leg connected through the resistor would be okay for incandescent lamps which would not be damaged by lowered voltage but if a refrigerator on another appliance with electric motors would likely be damaged. Probably not good for TVs and other electronic devices either.

If your generator is capable of 240v (220) make a jumper that plugs into the dryer outlet or add a dedicated socket accessible from outside your living area just for the generator.

If your generator is 110/120 only, I recommend you turn off all double breakers to disable feed through to the other leg.
>>
Who's in charge of making new q dot threads?
>>
>>1075295
You.
>>
do the measurements of sanding belts mean the whole thing or half of it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068AV3IY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_13?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
say this thing is the total height 60 inch or 30(if it was cut and spread)?
>>
>>1075550
Sanding belts are measured by the total length of the belt.
If wrapped around a disk the circumference of the disk would be 30" (~9.5" diameter)

Cut and spread would be 30"
>>
>>1075589
thanks
>>
For anybody here that can answer this: I have a contractor that wants me to sign a mutual release form.(I'm a carpenter) Is this just a way to make me pay for, say an error, like a messed up cut or what have you off topic I know but hopefully someone could help.
>>
>>1075653
>sign a mutual release form
read the form and see what you are agreeing to

It may be to keep him from being responsible if you are injured or die on the job
>>
>>1075665
If it mentions property in the agreement stay the fuck away right?
>>
>>1073646
off the top of my head, the only thing that could probably help you out is applying liquid sculpey into regular sculpey & adjust to the desired softness. not sure if other mid-to-high quality brands have super soft polymer clays on hand without the need liquid softeners though.

perhaps you'd have to look into other clays that aren't polymer based for that soft texture. most likely not plastilina since working with that is more or less (usually) harder than super sculpey. it has been over a decade since i fucked with that though. i haven't worked with it, but air-dry clay (also known as paper clay) might be softer by default than normal sculpey. stay away from german-produced air-dry clays like fimo, since they're really shit tier from what i've looked up on it before. on the opposite end, most japanese air-dry clays are pretty high quality items. cold porcelain is also an option, if you want to fuck with that. there should be tutorials online on youtube or other places if you look for it

however, i really do not have any personal experience in regard to these other clays performing well with being the base for silicone molds mentioned in that post from a while ago
>>
>>1075669
>property
>stay away

Not necessarily. It would depend on what it says about property.

READ THE FORM - then decide
If you can't comprehend, take it to a lawyer.
(or ask an adult)
>>
>>1075279
>>1075280
How would that have the ability to kill a lineman if the main breaker pulling current from the lines is open? How would there be any sort of connection to the main power grid with that breaker opened?
>>
>>1075141
CORRECTION

spirit-levels and my ancient miter-saw were my friends.

I didn't use a square at all...

still need to build the support leg and sand the hell out of it though...not bad for 4 hours work.
>>
>>1075735
Is English not your primary language?

>>1075280
>if you forget to disable the main breaker it's possible to kill a lineman.

If they forgot to disable it, it wouldn't be open would it?

In which case it would be electrifying the line coming into the house, going back through the supply transformer where it would be be raised to near the normal high voltage distribution line level.
>>
>>1075161
It seems like I cant get the spool to unwind fast enough for the rocket, also with a hydrogen balloon I have some time to get away. The release would be a pin attached to a string that is attached to a car, I just drive away and the balloon goes up
>>
>>1074884
So that I can put it on my desk. I also want to make fulgarite, the glass that forms when lightning strikes sand.
>>
>>1075760
Apparently it isn't yours fuckstick. I said in my original question that if I turned off the breaker. Learn to fucking read dumbass.
>>
>>1075921
I would say "Forget it" but it seems you don't know what forget is.
>>
>>1075157
I'm not Mexican, and the can isn't written in Spanish.
Thread posts: 338
Thread images: 72

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.