[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Harbor Freight

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 216
Thread images: 31

File: Cheap.jpg (55KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Cheap.jpg
55KB, 512x512px
What do you think of harbor freight? Do they have good quality stuff? It seems mixed opinions on the quality where some are good and some are bad. Are they only good for a few uses?
>>
Never had a problem with any of their tools. Detractors are mostly big box shills imo.
>>
They are always cheap, not always bad, not always good

Some people have such a negative attitude about harbor freight you would think it fucked their mother

I've never had a major problem, when something breaks I don't mind because I got more use out of it than I spent
>>
>>1066998
Depends on what your buying and what your intended purpose for it is. Most socket sets are junk unless you are using it around the house and not mechanical repair. Power tools the same way if your going hard at your tools you might want another option. ..
>>
File: ezgif.com-resize.gif (2MB, 540x291px) Image search: [Google]
ezgif.com-resize.gif
2MB, 540x291px
>>1066998
love harbor freight

i watch the prices of stuff i want and when the price is at a low i use the always available 20% coupon (too bad there's a long list of restrictions now though)
>>
File: buffer.jpg (156KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
buffer.jpg
156KB, 960x1280px
Tools and items that naturally wear-down (consumables like drill bits, sharpening stones, saw blades, buffing pads, etc) are pooh and should be avoided. Everything else is a ridiculous value, because it's naht bad and it's practically free. I've put months of miles on my buffer ($40 w/stand) and it's showing no signs of wearing out. A craftsman or something of the same spec would have cost me 3x as much and not been better.
>>
>>1066998
who cares? they'll take anything back as long as you have the receipt.
>>
>>1067102
and as long as you're white

https://youtu.be/Gj1LddA8xjA
>>
>>1066998
Dont expect top quality for bottom dollar.

Will the tools work for their intended purpose? Yes
Will they last? Probably not, but I have been pleasantly surprised before.
>>
>>1066999
> big box shills imo.

Im not even sure what this is supposed to mean
Harbor Freight is a "big box" store, and there are many items sold at Harbor Freight that are rebadged and sold at other hardware stores
>>
>>1067189
>Harbor Freight is a "big box" store
no, it's really not.
>>
>>1067190
Its a large chain store with over 700 locations.

"Big box" is synonymous with "chain store" as opposed to a local one off hardware store owned by some old folks.
>>
They sell a 2 stroke generator called the Stormcat for around $100 that is incredible.
>>
>>1067194
>Its a large chain store
to get to mine I drive by two home depots that are atleast 5x as large
>"Big box" is synonymous with "chain store"
not really, no
>>
File: hazfra04.jpg (48KB, 301x398px) Image search: [Google]
hazfra04.jpg
48KB, 301x398px
>>1067195
>>
>>1067195
The stormcat is a 2 stroke? Holy shit I may make myself a bmx
>>
>>1067199
You should really take power banks camping. They work really well.
>>
>>1067197
This logic astounds me.
But im not sure what I expected from someone clamoring about Home Depot false flagging Harbor Freight.
>>
>>1067202
>This logic astounds me.
it's not a big box store, learn what words mean
>>
I buy American made tools when I can . Klein or Craftsman. China still produces a lot of low low quality shit at low prices.
>>
>>1067203
Please enlighten me on what "big box store" means.
At what point does a large chain store become a "small box store"?
Im sure you have a square footage in mind.
>>
I'll also buy Channel Lock brand when I can . I love their line of pliers and dykes.
>>
File: channellock.jpg (519KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
channellock.jpg
519KB, 2000x2000px
I have a hardon for those blue grips. Made in USA.
>>
>>1067210
>>1067207
>channel lock sold at walmart

get out of here walmart shill! didnt you know that harbor freights pliers are just as good??
>>
>>1067205
by the late 90s craftsman went from god-tier to pretty good, and now i don't even know. with searses and kmarts closing the easy-as-tits exchange policy isn't as alluring as it once was.

i worked in sears hardware from '98 to '01 and by the time i left we were giving away ratchet repair kits instead of entirely new ratchets (when applicable). customers were getting ornery about it. and the professionals (the tradesman who would come-in twice a week or so) were exchanging screwdrivers, wrenches, ratchets, etc. on an almost weekly basis.

they still have the great exchange policy but it's kinda bunko if the quality of tools is slowly going to schit, especially as it's getting harder to find sears stores with decent stock to exchange from anyway.

also, a ton of craftsman stuff is made in chiner now anyway, it's just guaranteed in the USA and usually "designed & assembled" in the USA. and that's just handtools, the electronic/powertools have been chinese for decades now and the extended warranty options are not valid for professional use. we were told not to offer or sell extended protection plans to anyone with a tradesman uniform, coveralls, or if they "had sawdust on them".

RIP craftsman tools: 1927 - ~1987
>>
>>1067214
I've been found out. This is so embarrassing.
>>
>>1067090
Except they're underpowered. Every single HF product I've bought except their gas mowers are too underpowered or slow to compare to a real brand.
>Impact barely drives self tappers, won't go through stainless
>Have to be careful of how much pressure I put on my grinder because it stops with nearly any pressure

It all works though. Just slows you down. If you're working on a project at home and speed doesn't matter, it's good stuff.
>>
OH and we had to get a manager if any asians were trying to buy protection plans for rotary tools/dremels, because they run nail salons and burn through them faster than dogribs at a korean BBQ, and we needed to explain to them that using a dremel for manicures and shit is a professional use of the tool, and the tools can't be warranted for professional use.
>>1067217
>>
>>1067217
>Searses
All credibility lost
>>
File: Channellock-548-image.jpg (65KB, 1894x427px) Image search: [Google]
Channellock-548-image.jpg
65KB, 1894x427px
>>1067210
>>1067207
ChannelLock 548 are some of my favorite pliers
>>
>>1067224
my buffer is actually pretty good. 1/2 HP and 3450 RPM which is typical of a buffer. buffing is lighter work than grinding so as long as i keep my touch light it doesn't get bogged-down. although i admit it probably does bog-down easier than a better brand of the same spec. it also gets so hot after awhile you could light a cigar on it but if it costs $30 you could replace it once a year and it's still worth it.
>>
>>1067226
That's the most inane thing I've ever heard.
>If you actually use the tool, it's not covered
>>
>>1066998
if you know you're going to break it eventually, then you might as well get it from harbor freight otherwise fucking stay away holy shit their stuff is so bad
>>
>>1067229
If a good grinder costs me 150 and lasts 10 years, and my 40$ harbor freight grinders die yearly, what's the better investment?

Yes, this is hypothetical and unrealistic because they last more than a year, but my point is, replace it under warranty or return it. Domt buy another, you're falling for the scam that way.
>>
>>1067230
well they have some legal jargin that defines a difference between a casual homeowner with tools and someone who uses the tool full-time as a professional. it's a load of shit though but necessary because the tools were just getting so cheep

>>1067227
sorry, mean Searses AND Kmarties
>>
>>1067233
Don't worry, I didn't expect much of a guy who worked at Searses.
>>
>>1067232
fair enough, although i suspect a $150 grinder won't last that long anyway for the kind of work that'll kill the HF one in under 12 months... based on my experience anyway.

the other thing that makes me a little more comfortable with mine is that buffing is lighter work so you don't bear-down into the motor as much. it just turns, and i suspect without that level of strain it'll go for a long time. we'll see, i've had it about 10 months now.

i wouldn't buy a grinder at HF only because they're so dangerous. it's like buying a HF parachute. you just don't cut corners on some things.
>>
File: ralphiesoap.jpg (28KB, 500x463px) Image search: [Google]
ralphiesoap.jpg
28KB, 500x463px
>>1067235
someone oughta wash your filthy fucking mouth out m8
>>
>>1067224
Most of their power tools just need a tweak to run well (check the reviews on their site for the specific tool). The parts are there but not assembled the best. If you don't mind turning some screws you get a decent tool for about 50-70% off.
>>
>>1067236
A bench top grinder. Not a side grinder. Like I said, hypothetical, and I agree, especially nowadays. It's all Chinese stuff. Our shop at work has some old craftsman stuff that still works, but this was when these products were still made in the US.
>>
>>1067238
Your mom already did, with my own cum. After I nutted into her mouth, and we shotgunned it. Yea, I'm into some stuff. Fuck you.
>>
>>1067242
well, even bench grinders are dangerous. the wheels have to be good quality and not break apart, the shields have to be good, the thing has to be stable, etc. old craftsman stuff is great.

in related news, check this old beast out! thi is why i bought my buffer, because this thing was what i tried to use. wonky and horrible as fuck, but fun. it belonged to my great-grandfather, or at least most of it did.

https://youtu.be/QZU9on6X9e8
>>
>>1067244
A brushed motor. Classy. Belt needs tightened. Is it a homemade thing or branded? Any idea who made the motor?
>>
>>1066998
Their CroMo impact sockets are a great value
Their taiwanese Ratchets a great value.
Their standard chrome sockets are alright.

Everything else is hit and miss
>>
>>1067248
it's homemade, and no i don't know the brand of the motor. i can check though, it's just downstairs, although buried under some stuff atm. my dad uses it still just to roughly clean stuff. he's a dumbass and uses baggy work gloves when he uses it too. no emergency shut off, you have to legit unplug the thing. i think it's unsafe as hell.
>>
>>1067248
just checked. it's a general electric washing machine motor. it has a steel plate with the specs punched-in, dunno what year but the last 2 digits of the serial number are 41 (may or may not mean the year). it's similar to pic related but i'm sure not quite that old!
>>
You know how everyone says but cheap tools until they break, and replace them with high quality tools?

Harbor Freight is where you buy those cheap tools
>>
>>1067261
this breddy much sums it up †bh ƒams
>>
>>1067200
Why did I say bmx? Meant to say dirt bike
>>
>>1067261
>You know how everyone says but cheap tools until they break, and replace them with high quality tools?

yeah, and its dumb advice
>>
File: boschdrill.png (342KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
boschdrill.png
342KB, 1366x768px
This is a Bosch hammer drill...
>>
>>1067283
actually it's great advice
buy what you can whether from pawn shops, thrift stores or harbor freight then when you have some money saved and your current tool is worn down or broken you buy something that's actually worth a shit
>>
File: HarborFdrill.png (463KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
HarborFdrill.png
463KB, 1366x768px
>>1067286
...And the nearly identical drill from Harbor Freight

The Bosch drill burned out after 1 day.
Seriously.
I owned it for 1 day before it crapped out

I've had the HF drill for almost 2 years

Open up a Bosch and HF drill and the insides are about identical.

Save the money, buy HF.
At least you know you're buying crap and crap prices. vs. buying crap at Brand name prices
>>
>>1067287
A lot of harbor freight tools are a lot like cheap bike parts.
They dont break and they will get the job done, but they work very poorly compared to a higher quality tool.

Telling people to spend money on that garbage just to respend more money while being left with a tool without resale value?
Its a poor use of your money.
>>
>>1067289

It isn't true at all. Most of the 'cheap' HF stuff IS name brand tools rebranded with identical guts. This shit has been confirmed all over the internets. Fucking ignorant shills.
Even Festool is plastic fucking garbage.
>>
>>1067289
Craigslist is always an option or the new hire/apprentice, just because you likely may not be able to sell it doesn't mean it doesn't have it's use.
The advice is sound in the fact that you won't have the money to buy ALL the tools you need that are of a better quality so you buy what you can until you can spend a little more money.
Just speaking from personal experience it's was better to go to a company and say I actually have all the tools they require to get hired than to go in and possibly not get hired or have to borrow tools on the daily because I blew my cash on a good pair of linemans
>>
>>1067293
>Most of the 'cheap' HF stuff IS name brand tools rebranded with identical guts. This shit has been confirmed all over the internets

Show me
>>
was going there today....

as long as you don't expect too much, it's great
>>
>buy air compressor
>expect it to last a year at most
>6 years later its still going strong
Hell yeah
>>
>>1067015
I've read that the Taiwanese socket sets are the bee's knees.
>>
>>1067332
HF air tools are legit.
>>
Depends on what it is. The less moving parts it has, the better.

>hammers
Fine, just don't get their shitty fucking claw hammers. The other hammers are great value. I have a 16oz ball peen, 8oz ball peen, cross peen, brass hammer, and a dead blow. All great for the money.
>wrenches
Fuck off.
>clamps
Good value, especially their F-clamps. The squeeze clamps are kinda crappy, but good enough for light duty projects.
>screwdrivers
Complete and utter garbage.
>ratchets
The new "professional" ones are quite good. I have a 1/2" one that takes a beating on lug nuts regularly.
>sockets
Meh. I keep a set in my car, but don't trust them for actual work.
>anything sharp or made for cutting
Just don't. This includes drill bits.
>other hand tools
Mostly crap. Just be careful, the less moving parts the better.
>gloves
Great value. Their mechanix knock offs and nitrile gloves are amazing value.
>magnetic parts dish
Holy fuck they are awesome. Well worth the money and you can get them free with purchase some times.

>battery powered tools
Don't you even dare.
>corded hand tools
All garbage. The portable band saw is okay, but you can get a used Milwaukee for the same money if you're patient.
>stationary power tools
Surprisingly decent for the money. The 4x6 horizontal bandsaw is amazing (own it). The 1x30 belt sander is surprisingly good. The 8" bench grinder is usable, barely worth the money, for light duty use you'll be fine. The bench top drill press is garbage (returned it), but the floor standing models are good. I got a 20" drill press as an open box item and they applied a 25% off coupon by mistake. I was out the door for less than $200, I felt like I robbed the place. It's quite good.
>$10 grinder
More grinder than the average hobbyist needs. It's a good buy. I bought one for $5 a couple weeks ago as part of a deal (had to buy $50 of other bullshit). I already have one and it is dedicated to sharpening tungsten electrodes. Great light duty grinder.
>>
>>1067351
>The bench top drill press is garbage
my friend's owned one for about 3 years and it's still running clean and smooth as a grrandfather clock. he doesn't use it a ton, but we've drilled through quite a lot of stainless steel on various projects and it's been quite charming. i do use tap oil for that though and go slow. it's obviously not the most robust drill press on the market but if you work with TLC it's good.
>>
>>1067351
>magnetic LED light, the blue one that isn't a triangle
Great little light for the money.
>abrasives
Considering they cost 1/3rd of what name brand shit costs, they are great.
>vise
I have the multipurpose vise (holds pipe and you rotate the head) and it's an OK vise. I keep the hammering on it to a minimum.
>aluminum jack
Works great and JUST fits under my car. Would recommend for $60 with coupon
>dial indicator
It works... what else do you want? Throw it away when you break it. I use it for leveling my 3D printer bed, it's great.
>dial indicator stand
fucking trash, but it gets the job done.
>1/2" breaker bar
I fully expect this thing to break one of these times I'm putting my snow tires on or off. The head design is really shitty.
>locking pliers
Junk.
>vise grip-style clamping pliers
Surprisingly good! Worth owning a couple of each size.

I own a lot of HF crap, and plenty of decent stuff too. Tools are fun. Don't be afraid to return HF crap. Don't be afraid to re-buy the same item and return your broken version a year or two later.
>>
>>1067354
>re-buy the same item and return your broken version... later
fucking this! i've had to do this with waaay more expensive/irreplacable items than HF because of shitty warranty and retail policies, so i'm certainly not afraid of buying a new item, reboxing the old failed item, and returning it. fuckem, i think even with HF's stoopid low prices they still make absolute bank on their shit. they can afford a little shifty customer care from time-to-time.
>>
>>1067353
When I lived in an apartment I bought the 8" bench top drill press (60238) from them and immediately returned it. The runout made it unusable. The table flexed too much even when drilling aluminum. The speed selection and torque were both horrible. I went to far as to prop up the table with a 2x4 and it was still useless.

I should have known better. My first drill press was the same thing from one of those random tool sales out of a trailer that basically sold rebranded HF shit. Between the lack of torque and speeds it was impossible to use a bimetal hole saw in steel.

My 20" drill press is great though. I don't think it's $550 good, but if you can get it for under $300, you can't do any better unless you just get really lucky on craigslist.
>>
/r/ing the harbor freight tools catalog that has a bunch of funny stuff like >>1067199
>>
They are having their colombus day sale and have some free items and a 20% off.
http://www.harborfreight.com/
>>
How good are their pro mechanical gloves? They are $9.99 with the coupon here.
http://www.harborfreight.com/savings_coupons.html
>>
>>1067363
I think their normal mechanic gloves are a better value, even the normal price is half that price
http://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-gloves-large-62428.html

I doubt those "pro" gloves are twice as durable.

On sale they are $4 a pair and well worth the price.
>>
Some of their stuff is shit, but some is surprising. I bought one of their 4 and 1/2 inch angle grinders for $10 one time to help remove some paint from my truck. It ended up doing most of the work. I had a respirator, heavy gloves, and ear muffs on so I didn't realize it was about to catch fire until someone asked me what the noise and smell was from. I spit on it to see how hot it was and it sizzled. I let it cool down, and it finished the job (though noisily). It still works today.

Some stuff like their pliers are bullshit; they aren't aligned even when brand new.
>>
>>1066998
Cheap in a way that you get what you pay for. Would recommend for home projects, would not recommend for professionals.
>>
>>1067244
That was incredibly common. Lot of old guys would put tools on plates and move them to motor. That it was an old washing machine motor is exactly what I would have expected.
>>
>>1067372
oh of course! my pops and my pop's pops and my pop's pops' pops all have and had shit like that rigged-up. the weird thing about that ol' beast is that it hasn't been adjusted or maintained in maybe 70 years so it's wonky and peculiar as fuck. and of course, despite its charm and (albeit somewhat diminuted functionality) it does still wurl around like it was brand new. i just don't personally want to use it is all!
>>
>>1067360
hazard fraught
>>
I bought some stuff from them. I bought some tweezers, and while they work, I wouldn't really recommend them for anything delicate. They're way too large and cumbersome for that. I only use mine for holding small parts when painting them.
I got an airbrush and compressor set that was sold by them at a swap meet for $35 still in the box (they sell it in store for $90 or so). The airbrush was the "fancy" metal one that they sell for $25, and it works pretty nice. The guy who I bought the thing from also threw in the cheap plastic one that they sell for $9, and that one is pure shit (I haven't actually been able to use it since the connector is not compatible with their compressor, but it is made out of the crappiest plastic available, and none of the accessories included really fit it). I just ended up throwing it out.
My friend ended up buying a dent puller from them to attempt to remove some dents from his shitbox, and that did not work at all. He ended up returning it.
I bought a torx set for my phone there recently, and it is not bad, but not really too good either.
Like some other anon said, their gloves are a good value, and I bought a box of nitrile gloves from them that was pretty cheap compared to what I could of bought elsewhere.
I would also not recommend actually paying for the flashlights, since Chinese shopping sites (aliexpress, bangood and the like) offer ones within the same price range that are significantly better.

Does anyone know how their power sanders and rotary tools perform?
>>
>>1067015
the impact set is really good I use it daily at work on bolts that have been rusting for 30 years
>>
>>1066998
>What do you think of harbor freight? Do they have good quality stuff? It seems mixed opinions on the quality where some are good and some are bad. Are they only good for a few uses?
None of Harbor Freight's stuff is "good"; a lot of it works "okay", especially considering the price. Some of it doesn't work very well at all.

What Harbor Freight does is sell cheap Chinese-made stuff at aggressively low prices.
Lots of other places now sell tools almost as crappy, but they charge 2X ~ 3X as much for them.
So overall, Harbor Freight is a good thing.

What I have done a few times is if I saw a tool somewhere else more expensive and didn't know if I'd really use it much, I'd see if HF has a cheapo version and buy that first.
If the tool turns out to be useful but it doesn't work well, then I know it's worth it to me to go looking for a more-expensive & better-made one elsewhere.
If the tool doesn't turn out to be that useful, then I didn't waste much money on the HF version.

There is a few gems on HF's shelves. The composite socket wrenches are legendary for cold-weather and electrical use.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48009

Nothing at HF is ever "professional grade".
Buying real, actual "professional grade" tools will cost 5 to 10 times as much or more than what you pay at Harbor Freight.
If you want quality you gotta pay for it.

>>1067251
>.... my dad uses it still just to roughly clean stuff. he's a dumbass and uses baggy work gloves when he uses it too. no emergency shut off, you have to legit unplug the thing. i think it's unsafe as hell.
If you could add a foot-operated momentary switch, it would be a lot safer and still convenient. :D
>>
File: IMG_9137.png (1MB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9137.png
1MB, 1242x2208px
This blower from HF is a fucking champ and deserves the full 5 stars. Maybe got downgraded one because of an issue with the mulcher idk I've only used it like that once. But as a blower it's a beast. I've had it over a year now and the two speed settings are great. Use it every time I mow and to blow off the back porch, 10/10 would reccomend
>>
110% trash

they work for the average joe who wants to do one project and doesn't mind it rusting to shit or just not working.

Its cheap enough people tend to justify the price/quality ratio as cheap enough to just buy a new one.

If you're a professional who values quality work you should feel ashamed for using them.

They are low quality, using low quality materials, and are made using slave labor. You can QC them yourself to maybe find one that fits the bare minimum requirements for home use. They are a waste of time and money for an serious work.
>>
>>1069287
>If you're a professional who values quality work you should feel ashamed for using them.
If you're a professional, you know how to work around the limits of the tools and not blame them for your shitty abilities.

Yo-Yo Ma can make a cigar box and rubber band sound better than your best effort on a Stradivarius.

This is the /diy/ section of 4chan - not the Snap-On or MAC tool site.
>>
Like with any cheap-o-depot, it's a crap shoot. Sometimes you get a tool that just got put together the right way and it lasts forever. Sometimes you get the runt and it craps out after a few hours of work.

I've got several sets of tools. Good $$$ ones from places like StrapOn ;) and from HF. The HF ones I let anyone borrow.

There are a lot of good quality tools out there. Sometimes saving a buck isn't a good choice.

Gramps always said, "Buy the best tool you can afford and it will be there for your kids to use." I should know. I have his set of hand saws, planes, bit&brace, etc. Amazing tools that oddly work without any cord or battery.
>>
>>1066998
Bought their boat trailer. It might not be galvanized but it was about $300 with the usual 20% coupon they do all the time. If it lasts three years it only cost me a hundred annually to not have to lug the jon boat in and out of the bed of my truck any time I want to use it. Never mind not having to empty the bed before hand every time.

That aside, this:
>>1067188
>Dont expect top quality for bottom dollar.

If I'm not sure I'm going to use a tool more than once or twice, and it's something I can't rent, Harbor Freight is awesome. The worst case is I find myself using the tool enough for it to fail (as a lot of what HF carries is wont to do). I've likely gotten my money's worth by that point and I know to pick up a higher quality, more permanent addition to my toolbox.

>>1067351
>magnetic parts dish
Those are pretty cheap from a lot of places but goddamn they're awesome, huh? I keep thinking it'd be a neat idea to affix some sort of magnetic sheet to the underside of a tackle box to not only keep little bits in place but also organized.
>>
>>1067359
Same here. Mine drills triangular shaped holes with anything bigger than a 1/8th in bit.
>>
>>1067232
I've had the angle grinder for like 8 years. I don't know how people complain about them. Normally when I see magic smoke I stop using it and let it cool down
>>
>>1067288
the hammer drill from harbor freight may be the only item I've ever returned for sucking so bad.
>>
>>1066998
The subtext in the blue area of your image should say "Ridiculous Quality Tools at Low Prices".
>>
>>1067206
Is 7-11 a "big box store"? No? Why not? It has more locations than anything being discussed in this thread.
>>
>>1069392
sometimes the reason I like harborfreight is because I can get in and out of it in a reasonable amount of time. the homedepot by my house has a decent layout. but the Lowes God help me. If I wanted to run 5 miles I would go to the gym. The only thing that is convenient is the expensive ass tools. Any screw or plumbing part, wood trim is like I'm on a scavenger hunt. Harbor freight I'm in and out in 5 minutes. Neither store has employees any more.
>>
>>1069344

They back most of their hand tools with a lifetime warranty.

But tell me more about how we should buy snap on like a real tool guy would.
>>
>>1069408
Snap-On is for a professional. Unless you need same day service where a guy drives the replacement out to you in their little box truck, you don't need Snap-on. You are paying for the service, not the tool.

If you want a really nice set of American made sockets, ratchets or wrenches, look into Wright. They've been around forever and their tools are still top notch.
>>
>>1067201
Power banks aren't enough to power my fat ass' cpap machine for 8+ hours. But my fat ass was made working in a career field that affords me a nice cabin for a few days of fishing and actual relaxation, unlike camping in a tent where the temperature swings 40F between day and night.

I buy measuring tools from HF. Bought a variety 3 pack of vice grips once. The smallest one is locked closed, the middle one stripped it's teeth on a brass fitting and the largest one was left with an FRC team I use to mentor. If one was closer to me I'd pick up a grinder and order a few nice grinding heads from somewhere else.
>>
>>1067206
>Im sure you have a square footage in mind.
no, because that's not reallu what a big box store is defined by. it's a type of development, there where and how they are built makes them big box stores.
>>
>>1069410

>2016
>Snap on

No one needs snap on tools or their service. The guy in the van bullshit is simply that. He's not going to drop everything to replace a tool.

Today, in relative time, it's no quicker than next day delivery from most online tool companies by time the job is completed.

Whenever I've been in a situation so desperate I need a tool replacing here and now, I go and buy one from the nearest place I can find and it will still be quicker than waiting.
>>
>>1069435
>Whenever I've been in a situation so desperate I need a tool replacing here and now, I go and buy one from the nearest place I can find and it will still be quicker than waiting.

This is what you get for buying shit tools, and not having a full toolbox with spares.
Is it any wonder you shop at Harbor Freight?
>>
>>1066998
I've generally had good luck with harbor freight.

If I'm only going to use the tool for a single job, I don't need the highest quality tool, just the thing that works. Sure, if I do it again, I'll consider a better tool or if precision or accuracy matters, I'll get something better. The less moving parts, and general craftsmanship required, the better.

I have a plastic organizing box from harbor freight. It holds electrical components for my EE classes. It works, and that's all I wanted it to do. It could do a better job, but it could also do much worse.

If I wanted, or needed a better solution, I would have gone with that, but I would have also spent more money.

Ultimately, don't expect miracles from something cheap. Understand that it probably won't do anything as greatly as the tag says. If it truly matters, don't get it from harbor freight.
>>
I've been wondering, are HF compressors decent? It'd be nice to have some air tools but I'm kind of a poorfag right now. I'm just not sure if I'd feel safe buying anything with a pressure vessel on it from somewhere like HF, but their prices are alluring.

If a cheap screwdriver breaks, it's (probably?) not going to kill you. An exploding air tank, not quite as friendly.
>>
>>1069875
For light work the 150+psi ones are just fine

The compressors are absolutely fine, even Intertek standards require at least a 3x fos for pressure vessels, they can all handle more than 450 psi
>>
>>1069875
its safe. the pressure isn't enough to cause an explosion and pressure vessels sold in the US are super over engineered.

ASME made sure of that after all the boiler incidents in the early 1900's.
>>
>>1069878
Most have pressure relief valves that blow at 50psi over max use pressure as well
>>
>>1067002
This guy's got it right. You get cheap stuff there that you can basically treat as disposable. Not single use obviously, but just keep in mind that its pretty much all cheap Chinese stuff and will break eventually.
>>
>>1069878
>>1069879
I'm just a hobbyist, so light work is all I worry about. And somehow I forgot that relief valves were a thing, though I don't suppose they'd trigger if something ruptured due to manufacturing defect rather than overpressure. I guess shitty QC/manufacturing practice concerns me more than the actual engineered quality of them.

I may grab one at some point then, cheers lads.
>>
>>1069887
When they list for pressure vessels they not only test samples but also require details on manufacturing process for the parts
>>
>>1066998
depends on what you get. Some of their shit is absolute trash; some of it is indistinguishable from more expensive stuff.

I just bought an engine hoist from them a couple days ago, with the intention of using it twice: once to remove an engine, and again to put it back in. After that I planned on selling it or junking it or something. They tried to sell me some insurance policy if the hydraulic cylinder starts leaking, they'll replace it for free, forever. I declined since I didn't plan on keeping it very long. The day after I pulled the engine, it pissed all the hydraulic fluid all over the floor of my garage overnight. On top of that, the first one I bought didn't have the casters inside the box, so I had to load it back up into my car and drive it back to the store to exchange it, just to get the tiny little wheels.

>>1067201
if you need to bring a generator, it ain't "camping."
>>
Depends on what you buy. Drill/mill bits? Fuck no. Sockets, wrenches, an odd little spring or e-clip? Fuck yeah.
>>
>>1067205
Craftsman in taiwan shit now.
>>
>>1069920
You wish Craftsman stuff was made in the state of the art factories in Taiwan
Craftsman is being made in old mainland chinese factories.
Shit is on the same level as harbor freight, while being triple the price
>>
>>1069922
Im pretty sure the "professional" line is still mostly us made, while everything else is chinese lowest bidder stuff. You can even find slightly different scripts on one gearrench brand tool to the next. That said the sets i own have done me just fine over the years.
>>
>>1069951
>Im pretty sure the "professional" line is still mostly us made,

No, they have phased that out long ago
Their "professional" wrenches just mean they are polished chrome instead of the standard finish. Still made in china.

Their professional high tooth count polished ratchets are made in Taiwan. They are alright, but they cost like 50$ which is a fucking racket.

Very few things are still USA made by craftsman.

GearWrench had a major OEM change a few years back. They were made in Taiwan for a very long time, about 3-4 years ago they moved production to china and they became substantially worse quality.
>>
>>1069922
>You wish Craftsman stuff was made in the state of the art factories in Taiwan

>tfw taiwan actually makes good shit now.
>>
>>1067311
Not even that guy, but look it up nigga; you have the internet.
>>
>>1069971
>but look it up nigga; you have the internet

Burden of proof.
If you are going to come into a thread, yell and scream that harbor freight is the same internally to much expensive and higher quality brands, you have to prove it.

We all know its not true, if it were "confirmed all over the internet" then he should have no problem proving his point.

Ive tried to look similar stuff up a while back when I was on an AVE kick, didnt find much out there on the subject. The guy is just deluding himself while spreading horseshit. I have an open mind though, he just needs prove what he is saying
>>
>>1070251
Not that guy, but the ryobi and harbor freight 9" band saw is the exact same with different color, very obviously made in the same factory
>>
File: 3.jpg (699KB, 781x1024px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
699KB, 781x1024px
>>1067360
>>
>>1069419
Or just loose weight you literal hambeast
>>
>>1070361
See

>>1067286
>>1067288

Generic house brand hardware store tools (sold at identical prices) is a much different thing than the horse shit he is saying.

If I buy a cheap "Tool Shop" grinder for 20$ at menards, it doesnt surprise me its a rebadged out of a cheap factory. When you try to convince me that its identical to a 100$ grinder from a big name, you better have some proof.
>>
>>1066998
I avoid their power tools, and even their hand tools if it's something that requires precision or performance. Their belt sander is ok, although belt changes are insane unless you remove all the safety features. I got their drill press strictly for burnishing leather, but if I wanted to drill anything it's basically unusable without major modification. The work table is not flat, not stable, and impossible to adjust.

Also one of their larger bench vises cracked apart under normal use.

I love them for the stupid shit that's just plain overpriced elsewhere, like clamps and crowbars etc.
>>
>>1070379
Milwaukee was recently purchased by Techtronics

A few of their newer tools actually do have identical motors inside and ryobi (also owned by techtronics) has begun to use the previously patented my Milwaukee designs and connectors
>>
>>1070379
http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/power-tools/cordless-tools/family-tree-rigid-aeg_o
>>
File: 1457926990047.jpg (754KB, 795x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1457926990047.jpg
754KB, 795x1024px
>>
>>1070379
http://toolguyd.com/tool-brands-corporate-affiliations/
Look for your expensive brand you want (except makita and metabo who can't be bought)

Now look at that companies house brands

That is your cheap version
>>
File: 1457927226928_1.jpg (743KB, 785x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1457927226928_1.jpg
743KB, 785x1024px
>>
>>1070390
TTI bought Milwaukee over a decade ago
TTI doesnt make a bandsaw, when Home Depot wants a bandsaw they license out the name for a tool from an OEM and they decided to use their house brand name Ryobi.

How does that prove anything?

>>1070393
>>1070398
Everyone knows about tool brand monopolies.
What exactly does that prove?

Black and Decker and Dewalt being owned by the same parent company means that every line is identical?
Let alone harbor freight tools CHEAPER than walmart tier black and decker are going to be identical to premium brands?

Mac is owned by Stanley, therefore Mac tools and Stanley tools are of the same quality. Great reasoning skills
>>
>>1066998
I bought a $40 electric chainsaw here. Thing is fucking amazing. Cut so much shit with it. Tossed in the original oil and it's lasting me months of heavy use.

On the other hand.... bought a hose size water pump.. craptastic garbage. But their warranties are great.

But honestly.. any sane person should just buy used tools for dirt cheap.
>>
>>1070410
>I bought a $40 electric chainsaw here. Thing is fucking amazing

Well of course it is, didnt you know inside of the case its identical to a Husqvarna?
Doesnt it feel great to be ahead of the curve?
>>
File: Chinese Garbage.jpg (64KB, 1032x416px) Image search: [Google]
Chinese Garbage.jpg
64KB, 1032x416px
>>1070404
>TTI doesnt make a bandsaw, when Home Depot wants a bandsaw they license out the name for a tool from an OEM and they decided to use their house brand name Ryobi.
This. You will note that Sears also sells a Craftsman 9 inch bandsaw that is identical to the HF and Ryobi models. I'm sure there are other turd companies willing to slap their brand on inferior shit that are selling the same crap in a different color scheme. Subcontracting is a bitch, eh?

>But honestly.. any sane person should just buy used tools for dirt cheap.

Truth. I paid $140 for an all metal, adjustable speed Walker-Turner BN560 10 inch bandsaw a few years back and it shits all over the garbage I pictured. Came with a stand and a pack of blades too. That's the exact same price for as the HF stinker but a hell of a lot more tool.
>>
File: WT.jpg (542KB, 1177x1583px) Image search: [Google]
WT.jpg
542KB, 1177x1583px
>>1070431
Picture related.
>>
>>1067367

dude i love that grinder, i used it to cut the perches off my rear axle and welded them back on using the cheapo welder and it looked great even after years of rust belt driving.

if you do shit work the tools aren't to blame
>>
>>1066998. I have lots of tools from them sounds stupid but I usually by Dewalt ,Harbor Freight stuff and, Kobalt. As far as power tools go None of Mt Harbor Freight stuff has failed even after 4+ years. Dewalt power tools have more power at low revolutions (of course) but otherwise no real difference. Kobalt power tools fail or break for me but I love there hand tools. The wrenches and hard tools from harbor freight are excellent (if you don't buy their sets) get the individual tools. There sockets are fine their bits are just home level (Dewalt for bits period) I must say that the electric impact drill from Harbor Freight is a BEAST. Get Dewalt bits for that drill and I swear you could drill through Titanium that thing is stronger than my Milwaukee 300+ drill and it was 49.00 it is 4 years old. When I am doing fine work I use Dewalt drills but When I need to drill through , unstick, or make a hole in a really hard surface my cheap impact drill is what I grab.
>>
>>1066998
Princess auto(Canadian HF) has decent tools for the price. I can't buy them as I'm under contract with DeWalt but I've used friends and such and never really had an issue.
>>
Another Harbor Freight hate thread. Why?

These threads seem like repeats of Clinton/Trump political shit. I buy tools frequently, check the China made stuff at HF and compare that to the China made stuff at HD. Your money, your card. All the sane, except the price.
>>
>>1066998
fucking awful. Buy used tools and keep your money local.
>>
Harbor Freight = Cheap Chinese Chit
My friend called me today to ask whether
I wanted to go to HF with him, he needed
to replace a drill bit after his HF drill bit
disintegrated, and to buy a chain saw.
He is the son of a sharp horse-trading
farmer, and loves the contest in dealing
with big-box minions, and doesn't use his
tools enough to need high quality, so he
is in "hog heaven" at HF.
>>
>>1071801
>he needed to replace a drill bit after his HF drill bit disintegrated

Drill bits and saw blades are some of the items I won't buy at HF.
>>
>>1072120
this. you do not buy consumables at HF! belts, buffers, papers, wheels, bits, and blades - not even once.
>>
My rule on Harbor Freight stuff is this:
"Don't buy it there if it will kill you when it breaks"
(killing, maiming, injuring someone else should be implied as well)
i.e. circular saws/blades, jacks, jack stands, ramps, ropes holding any force like towing straps, large sledge hammers or axes, bench grinders or grinding blades, nail guns, and so on.

If you don't give a shit about it breaking, buy it there. I do that for shit I know I am going to wear out, ruin, or break on my own anyways.
>>
>>1072167
Question anonynon - I was hoping to buy the 4-ton come-along and a couple tow chains. I have some felled trees I have to drag out of the way and a couple unfelled trees that I'm hoping to pull over.

Based on your rule of Harbor Freight (RoHF), where do I stand with this stuff? Wat do?
>>
>>1072187
That's something that could definitely kill you if it broke anywhere and snapped around. I bought my last come-along at homedepot, much oversized for intended purpose and opening box to inspect design, and bought the chain either by length or in pack after inspecting the link welds at a few spots.

Your call. Just inspect whatever you do buy, and double or more the rating on everything for whatever rating you actually need.

Also, towing big shit along ground where it could get hung here and there, in this case I'd wrap tree with towing strap that has some kind of elastic part to allow it some give, so you don't either rip a chunk off of your truck frame if it gets hung or snap the chain right away.

I'm paranoid after seeing a few things, so if I use those kind of hooks in chain, i leave slack at end of chain before attaching hook, then use a pair of bolts/nuts/washers I keep just for it, to join the parallel chains together loosely so that if the hook tore the link, the bolts would temporarily hold the 2 chains together. Actually I rarely use those hooks at all and just use bolts/nuts/washers at 2 spots, one at end of short end of chain, and one a lil farther back.

Also, unless you have experience and hang the trees between 2 other trees, I'd NEVER use something to pull down a tree. It either falls down towards where you are, or wraps the chain around you if it comes down off to the side of center.
Use a rope to 2 other anchors or trees to guide where it falls, then use chainsaw or axe to actually cut it down.

This is all based on you being inexperienced, working alone or with someone else inexperienced, and just trying to lower the likelihood of losing a limb or dying slowly pinned under something.
>>
File: timberhitchdrawing.jpg (105KB, 1284x707px) Image search: [Google]
timberhitchdrawing.jpg
105KB, 1284x707px
>>1072187
Cut them up into smaller pieces and use a rope with a timber hitch.
>>
>>1072250
To be specific, I'm not removing the trees, i'm dragging them across a trail to stop the motorized thoroughfare of trespassers from turning my back acre into a fucking all-season nascar event.
>>
>>1067205
Most craftsman tools are made in china now unless you can find old stock in a hometown store or online. Raised panel wrenches are still pretty good but the sockets kinda suck.
>>
>>1067351
I've had the black 5 dollar angle grinder for about 4 years now and that bitch won't stop. Amazing buy. I went ahead and got the 7 inch grinder to cut concrete and it's a champ too.
>>
Their tool boxes are the best value in the store. I have a craftsman 3 box stack. It's flimsy junk. Thin metal and drawers are terrible. I bought 2 roll carts from hf, the red one and black one. Thicker steel, better slides, better castors.
>>
File: MF191176.jpg (34KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
MF191176.jpg
34KB, 500x350px
>>1069410

>If you want a really nice set of American made sockets, ratchets or wrenches, look into Wright

Nigga please.

$150 gets you a 176 piece masterforce socket set made in murrica.

Lifetime warranty so on the off chance you break or round one out you can take it back.

Pic related.
>>
File: menards-logo[1].jpg (52KB, 505x145px) Image search: [Google]
menards-logo[1].jpg
52KB, 505x145px
>>1072274
Masterforce is Menards' store brand. They only have stores in 13 states. That set does not ship online. Most of their Masterforce tools don't. So, unless you live in or near the midwest, you are out of luck.

I have never even seen that brand in real life. I live in California. The closest store to me is in Wyoming. Being American made, and since all the shit quality American made tool brands went to China ages ago, I'm sure their probably good quality.
>>
>>1066998
Most all of their stuff is passable and can get the job done. In the beginning, they had hit-or-miss equipment, but they would be sure to advertise recalls right there where you put stuff on the counter to pay, and either do an exchange or a refund. Quality? meh. There were a few gems though, like their old red SDS hammerdrill (even though it had a ground prong but no wire inside the cord running to the drill) and the orange angle grinder (even though it was a bit of a safety hazard to run without the guard on, my knuckle still has a numb spot from repositioning my hand). Their small 'Free flashlight' cannot be beat, and 20% off all the fuckin time. every few months they have free 24 pack of AA/AAA batts with ANY purchase, so go buy a 2pak of drywall tips for a buck.

Their C-clamps you have to QC yourself. same with their drillbits. The variable speed oscillating tool is pretty decent.

Avoid their big jacks. I got the 3-ton steel low-profile and had to take it back because it wasn't really rapid-pump, and it would slowly go down by itself. I exchanged it within the 90 days, and even this new one that I bled like the manual states, is doing the same thing....
I wouldn't buy their vibrating cutoff blades anymore either unless they have the 16-hole ones, not the universal type.
Click-type torque wrenches are iffy too.... I got a 3/8" drive that sometimes doesn't click, or barely clicks on lower ftlbs, just not worth a stripped out hole in an engine block.

Basically, go sign up for their email flyer and look it over. Parking Lot Sales and holidays are usually the best times, but you gotta go the first day and usually early if you wanna cash in on free batts, multimeters, flashlights, etc.
>>
>>1072251
Whichever method you go for I'd recommend putting a pulley in a tree to get them off the ground where they could potentially snag.
>>
>>1072251
Adding to this: >>1072598
>motorized thoroughfare of trespassers from turning my back acre into a fucking all-season nascar event.
That fucking sucks. I've got 13 acres that butt up to federal land and it's only a matter of time until someone tears the shit out of it.
>>
>>1072296
>3 ton low profile
>not worth it

You must have some bad luck, mine has lifted tons of cars and trucks, it's paid for itself many times over. Not to mention every used tire place in the tri state uses a fleet of them to get a whole car off the ground real quick. Then they just leave it up there with no tires on. I used to cringe when I first saw it, I don't give a shit anymore.
>>
>>1072274
>danaher garbage

You know how everyone complained about how shit the quality of USA craftsman got right before they went chinese?
Yep, Masterforce is the same OEM that craftsman was. And yep, Danaher being bought by Apex has made it shit.

Also when was the last time you walked into a Menards?

They are slowly but surely phasing the Masterforce USA single tools out for GearWrench sockets and wrenches. In a year or two you wont be getting warranty on Masterforce stuff.
>>
File: K-Tip drill.webm (3MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
K-Tip drill.webm
3MB, 720x405px
>>1072723

>Also when was the last time you walked into a Menards?

There is 1 within 10 mins from my house
another within 30
another in my hometown 1.5 hours away where i visit my family once a week.

Masterforce is fine for up to serious DIYers. When you make a living with your tools then yeah you should spring for better stuff in general.
>>
>>1072751

That is pure tool pornography right there
>>
>>1072751
>Masterforce is fine for up to serious DIYers

So is Harbor Freight.
The Crescent branded sockets and wrenches on the shelf right next to the Masterforce stuff have better chrome and feel nicer for a third of the price. Nice thin beams and small open ends.

Ive had TWO masterforce single wrenches that had manufacturer defects, so I returned them.
Ill reach for the crescent branded wrench or socket every single time.
>>
Who the fuck hates saving money?
>>
>>1072932
Everyone likes saving money.
The problem is sometimes spending a little more money up front will save money in the long run.
>>
>>1072751
oh god. that is.... yeah, that's pr0n.

Horror Fraught: Great for buying a 'fuck it, I'm gonna try something new' tool. If the result is 'whatta ya know, this shit works', you run it till it explodes, then buy a good one.
>>
>>1072933
>spending a little more money up front will save money in the long run
>feeling a bit randy
>should have gone through the agency and spent the extra money
>instead approach some hooker outside Tedeschi's
>it's a cop
>$9k later, probation
you said it bro
>>
>>1072995
>you said it bro
Massholes Unite
>>
File: tumblr_nrylu2aziZ1ubm73lo1_400.jpg (38KB, 375x542px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nrylu2aziZ1ubm73lo1_400.jpg
38KB, 375x542px
>>1073001
http://www.telegram.com/news/20161002/crackdown-in-worcesters-main-south-rolls-up-175-arrests
>>
File: CNC boner.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
CNC boner.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>1072896

I am willing to spend more for things to be made in the USA.

>>1072831
>>1072976

I do not have many like this.

Anyone care to post more tool porn?
>>
>>1069419
Kys
>>
>>1067351
Its pretty easy to spend 50 bucks on consumables and miscellany there
>Hacksaw blades
>utility knife blades
>batteries for various bullshit
>tarps
>rope
>bondage gear
>hemostat style clamps (for roach clips)

Point is theres plenty of stuff most people could find a use for at dirt cheap prices. Every time i go in there for something basic i come out with at least 20 dollars worth of shit i didnt mean to buy that sparked some sort of idea in my head.
>>
Thanks to Harbor Freight, I have:

Changed every fluid possible in my car
Replaced rotors
Tapped holes to install a trailer hitch
Re packed all the wheel bearings
Welded over an exhaust leak
Changed timing belt
Changed clutch
Got my AC running again

Harbor Freight has literally saved me thousands of dollars while teaching me countless things about car maintenance.

To put it simply, Harbor Freight is the Christ of /diy/
>>
>>1073354
>Changed every fluid possible in my car
>Replaced rotors
>Tapped holes to install a trailer hitch
>Re packed all the wheel bearings
>Welded over an exhaust leak
>Changed timing belt
>Changed clutch
>Got my AC running again
and all for $37.50
>>
>>1073354
So you didnt have a father?

Thats too bad
>>
File: father figure.png (9KB, 1196x133px) Image search: [Google]
father figure.png
9KB, 1196x133px
>>1073367
Perhaps he's Asian?
>>
>>1070431
funny enough, i was going to buy the hb band saw, but then i went to homedepot to see if they had anything competitive, and the ryobi, while being the exact same model as the hf, was 10 bucks cheaper and had a better warranty so i got that instead
>>
I work at Lowe's. Questions?
>>
>>1074011
Why does your mini 1/4 and 5/16ths small spaces ratchet suck ass.... why not just copy gearwrenches like home despot did?
>>
>>1074011
Why do you think you are an authority on anything?
You work in a retail store.
>>
>>1074011
Why the fuck can you retards not front a store properly and why the fuck do you have the most bass ackwards shelfing systems
>>
>>1072273
Confirm. I have the 44" set up, roller and top with the tall side cabinet. Had a craftsman set up that was my dads, thin metal and poor construction compared to HF.
>>
>>1074020
>Implying HD or Menards make their own tools.
>>
I'm a mechanic, and I use HF tools all the time. I wouldn't use their power tools ever, but some of their pneumatic stuff is decent, especially if it's a tool you don't use very often.

A lot of their tools are hit or miss, but there are some things that are hard to screw up (hammer, punch, pry-bar, etc.) Still though, I 've had lots of really great stuff.

Their exchange policy is no-bullshit, and I have a HF equivalent for almost every hand tool that I use on a regular basis for when my Mac stuff breaks a day after the tool truck comes.

I started out with a box full of almost nothing but HF tools, and slowly replaced everything with more expensive stuff, but there are some heavy hitters in there that I trust right up there with my Mac and Snap-on.

If it's for home or DIY use, I would HIGHLY recommend HF hand tools to anyone, but like I said, stick to the name brand for power tools (DeWalt, Milwaukee, Hitachi, etc.)

Also, NEVER buy guages or anything that takes a specific type of measurement from there. Cough up the dough for a professional tool.

Tl;Dr HF has some pretty good hand tools
>>
>>1074102
>Also, NEVER buy guages or anything that takes a specific type of measurement from there.

their digital calipers are great and handy - cheap enough to keep everywhere for quick measurements. don't have to use that mitutoyo for everything
>>
>>1074102
>>1074103
The measurement tools are actually half decent, apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xs5mODh-P4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpGUOTVBZ3c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykM5xjUU3LQ
>>
>>1067104
Well of course. How else could they be sure you didnt steal it?
>>
File: image_20333.jpg (231KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_20333.jpg
231KB, 1200x1200px
went to 'the Freight today to pickup another pic related (best value for storage boxes of their kind anywhere) and there was nobody there at the registers. there were like 15 of us standing there like wet assholes wondering if we could pay for our shit.

someone finally came over, and the first fucking guy in line (i was like 11th btw) didn't even have anything, he had a catalog and wanted to start ordering shit. it was the worst. when he finally finished after his 15 minute bullshit, the very next guy started challenging the price on every single item he was buying.

i almost dddiiiiieeeed. but whatever, i got my box, eventually. it's full of happy vintage microphones now C:
>>
>>1069539
>you should buy two of every snap on in case one breaks.
>>
File: image_11328.jpg (167KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_11328.jpg
167KB, 1200x1200px
want this, reviews seem generally ok. is gud?

http://www.harborfreight.com/10000-watts-max-7200-watts-rated-belt-driven-generator-head-45416.html
>>
>>1075249
Looks like an NSM rip off.
>>
>>1075249
>http://www.harborfreight.com/10000-watts-max-7200-watts-rated-belt-driven-generator-head-45416.html

it says it needs 16HP input to get the full 10,000 peak, this translates to 11,931 W

this means it roughly has 83% efficiency

its not the best (some generator heads can have up to 90%+) so dont expect the most efficient thing ever but its not awful

try not to go above that 7200 watts if you can avoid it though, that rating is based off of its cooling ability, so while temporarily it can handle the 10k, the heatup will be pretty bad and could damage the housing/the head
>>
>>1066998
Hit and miss. Some stuff great, some stuff not so great. Don't expect more than bare bones quality for next to nothing price (and always get the damn 20% off coupon.)
>>
>>1074102
>there are some things that are hard to screw up (hammer
I've got a HF engineers hammer with chunks out of both sides of the head. I have a scar in my abdomen from when one of them came flying off.
>>
Every harbor freight hand tool I've ever gotten, their hammers especially, have all failed after even the most minor use. I once had a rubber mallet break on the first swing. The upside: they make using the warranty super easy. I just go into the local store, hand in the old tool, and walk out with an identical one. I keep a couple harbor freight "back up" tools in case my real tools break but I still wanna finish what I was working on, or to lend to friends and neighbors, but I haven't seriously used harbor freight since I got out of college and could afford real tools.
>>
>>1067090
The drill bits are one of the only things worth a poop there, imo. Sure, they're not Irwin, but they're dirt cheap. For light duty, they're great and if you keep them oiled they cut steel pretty easily. Their step bits are actually amazing quality for the price of 3/$15. Just keep them oiled and they do as well as a $60 one.
>>
>>1077289
I bought their center drill bit set for a lathe, I put them in my drill press to punch holes in metal. They work really well actually
>>
>>1077293
I drilled through 1/4" red iron that I needed to get a wire through. I just went slow and firm, kept it oiled. I bought them because I was breaking and losing bits left and right and really needed a big set. They turned out to be pretty good if you don't abuse them.
>>
>>1067210
>work hard sweat blue
Are they insulting their own handles?
>>
>>1066998

Lets face it: a lot of tools are actually just as important as normal consumer garbage like hairdryers and kitchen knives

For these applications, harbor freight is more than enough than you will ever need.
>>
>>1078604
incidentally the HF heat gun can double as a hairdryer :^)
>>
Does anyone have experience with their welders? I want to buy one but won't be using it too much so it seems like a good place. I would probably be getting the 225 Amp-AC, 240 Volt, Stick Welder
>>
>>1078624
If you want a cheap, AC only stick welder go find a Lincoln Tombstone on craigslist. You can get them for under 100$ all day long, and they are twice the welder the HF one will be.

Also you should be looking for a AC/DC welder anyways.
Buy a Hobart Stickmate AC/DC if you really need a budget but new stick welder.
>>
The quality of Harbor Freight tools really depends on how low your IQ is or how bad your vaginitis is.
>>
>>1066998
Dont they also have gun stuff?
>>
>>1078628
This. Also visit real welding forums like Weldingweb and the Miller forums for the info you will need to select the right welding process for your use case.

Remember welding takes PRACTICE. I and many other welders consider stick the most versatile process, and if you get a DC capable machine you can TIG steel using a scratch start TIG rig. Billions of dollars in pipeline and boiler TIG work is done with very simple scratch start rigs and that will let you do sheet metal too.

Hobart is owned by ITW who also own Miller. They make good machines and the only reason they don't build high amp industrial machines any more is their sale came under anti-trust laws.
>>
My first job was at 84 Lumber 25yrs ago, and HF was one of our suppliers back then; while I can honestly say that the quality of items has not dropped in the time since then. The greatest thing about HF is the fact that if you purchase items with the thought of their being disposable, you'll never be disappointed....
>>
>>1066998
I spent more time window shopping there than actually buying from them to be honest. Just to know what they would have when I need it, and get an idea of pricing when the time comes. I have been buying from them for over 5 years now. At the very most, they have shit load of gloves to choose from.

Have no complaints.
>>
Their open box and "clearance" section is a fucking joke.
>>
>>1081225
>10% off when a 5 piece extension set is missing 2 extensions

Yeah its always fucking awful
>>
I'm all for variety and choice in shopping. Glad I have them in town. It all depends. You really do have to read the reviews. Some are garbage, some are actually very durable, some are durable enough for what you pay for it. A hammer is a hammer, go cheap on that etc. I like the cheap engines they sell. I plan on buying some for a DIY generator.
One thing is for certain, you can never have enough alligator clamps and zip ties. NEVER ENOUGH.
>>
>>1075249
NO don't. Its not bad for the price but for like 500-600 you can get one from northern tool thats a lot better. Brushless and THD less than 5%. The harbor freight one has crazy high THD. Like 20%. Fine for simple motors and resistive loads but will fuck anything with electronics in it.
>>
>>1080669

Even then, that's like a couple 100 hours operating time max. Pro tools are made for 1000s, but why pay for 1000s if you're never going to get that use out of them?
>>
>>1067090
Nigger did you ratchet strap your grinder to the stand?
>>
File: image_22162.jpg (115KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_22162.jpg
115KB, 1200x1200px
Has anyone ever used an air compressor from harbor freight before? I'm looking into airbrushing and don't want some shitty compressor I couldn't also fill tires up with
>>
File: shrug.jpg (23KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
23KB, 500x327px
>>1081788
It actually stays on the stand fine without anything holding it down, even when I'm really bearing into the wheel. but just to secure it in case of tips or tilts I did indeed ratchet strap it down. it's an HF buffer and stand, the holes don't line-up so I can't slip bolts through until i drill a new hole, which I really don't need to do.
>>
>>1081793
my friend has one. seems to work fine. it's louder than transformer dicks.
>>
Started working there about a month ago. I get some of the stupidest people asking all kinds of stupid questions. someone asked if they could use a small gas engine we sell for "automotive purposes"? I said like in a car? he said yeah....I said no,then he asked if it could be used for roofing? I didn't even know how to respond.
Someone wanted to buy a welder then asked me how to weld, and argued with me about the 220 volt plug if he could use his stove outlet.didn't even understand the concept of amps.
>>
>>1081811
It's a cheapo discount tool store and customers always try to haggle and argue about the prices.They don't know how to use coupons(yes you need the coupon if you want to use it)or just bring the coupon alone to the register and expect me to magically produce the item for them.
And when a line starts to form all of the sudden everyone wants to get in the line and ask 100 questions then argue about the answers.
>>
>>1081811
wouldnt his stove plug work technically? i mean its probably between 15 to 30 amps on a kitchen breaker. either way i cant help but picture a stupid faggot scratching the shit out of his kitchen floor dragging his stove away from the wall every time he wants to make shitty snot welds
>>
>>1081811
this is why you play dumb. just restock and grab stuff for them
>>
Rule of thumb with harbor freight, don't buy anything with a motor from there.
>>
>>1081913
their induction motors are fine

i did buy a heat gun and the rear sleeve bearing melted its way out of the housing though after ~10 uses.
>>
>>1081811

>and argued with me about the 220 volt plug if he could use his stove outlet.didn't even understand the concept of amps.

Regardless of not understanding amps couldn't he have a NEMA 6-15 socket in his kitchen for a large appliance?
>>
>>1081949
You can plug your 220 welder into a washer plug. It will "work", but youll flip the breaker over and over when you first strike an arc as it pulls a ton of amps to get started
>>
File: harbor freight trolls.jpg (40KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
harbor freight trolls.jpg
40KB, 512x512px
>>1066998
Had to be done.
Thread posts: 216
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.