[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY long distance microcontroller transmitter/receiver

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: NaiXGb.jpg (28KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
NaiXGb.jpg
28KB, 800x533px
I'm not looking for anything complicated like sending data/messages. Just something that can be activated to let a MCU know a sensor has has been tripped via analog/digital input, transmitting maybe 300 ft / 90 m max. Any ideas?
>>
>>1066057
Almost anything.

Laser/infrared. Like sensors on perimeter security systems or maybe the "eyes" for garage doors that keep the door from crushing little bobby or fido. Just need power to shoot that far.

Radio. Cheap Walky talkys you used at Disneyland as a kid before everyone had cellphones.
Then can transmit a signal easily.
Hell, I have a wireless security system- has infrared sensors that radio back to a base unit if they detect motion.
Pic related.
>>
>>1066067
Are you talking about hacking manufactured transmitters? I'm wanting to use this for my pic microcontrollers
>>
>>1066057
>long distance
>300 ft / 90 m

Over the horizon is long distance.

You better state your country because laws vary.
>>
>>1066103
well the transmitters I've gotten so far max out at 10 ft, not sure what the technical name for a 300ft range is
>>
>>1066104
>Country?
>>
>>1066107
Narnia
>>
>>1066108
Then get the magic snake module.
>>
>>1066111
Alright, fine. I'm in the US, North California to be more specific.
>>
>>1066113
>part 18

Read up on that me thinks.
>>
>>1066113
stay off the ham bands faggot

unless you get a ham radio license and comply with all the regulations

then you're cool
>>
First you need to know frequency of your transciver. Then you can design youself high grain directional antena f.g. Yagi or Helical or if freq is in ghz directional dish as satelite dish with resonator element in focal spot designed to desire freq. Job done but you need kind of optical viev thos freq really not like opsticles on way.
>>
>>1066175
THIS. Used to be a truck driver and some fucking CUNT in texas fried all out radios at the truck stop. I hooe whoever had the squashbox gets prisonraped...
>>
>>1066057
>Just something that can be activated to let a MCU know a sensor has has been tripped via analog/digital input, transmitting maybe 300 ft / 90 m max. Any ideas?
I think that would qualify as "intermittent control signals," meaning you could legally use the 315 MHz band that garage door openers use. If you need to transmit non-line-of-sight through/around intermediate barriers, that might be preferable to the (915 MHz and 2.4 GHz) ISM bands.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10535
>>
>>1066104

Google "cantenna"
You can stretch range with these but they have to be made to the correct frequency. All it takes it being able to intercept the stock antenna. Or a "fuck it, I'll try anything" moment. :)
>>
Think I'm gonna go with a simple 555 trans/receiver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeRtyOgf0mI

I'll adjust the frequency if necessary to comply with the guvments rules
>>
If anyone is still reading this thread, here is what I'm going to do (as soon as I get some time, two tests this week). I got these RF modules months ago and I gave up on them because of the range. But, silly me, I just am now finding out that you're supposed to add your own antenna.. well that's what I'm gonna do now. Here's where I found the info:

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/103884/boost-433-mhz-receiver-module-receiving-signal-xy-mk-5v

I'm going to try this sketch with two nano's which send's a "hello world" message to each other with the virtualwire library. Though there are some chips that can do this part for me and just send high/low signals instead of this complicated stuff.

I should get up to a 200m range, which is more than I need.

http://www.buildcircuit.com/how-to-use-rf-module-with-arduino/#sthash.u2AxOcew.dpuf

Really wanted to try this today, but no time to whip out the soldering gun right now
>>
>>1068619

the recommended antenna is just a straight, 25 cm long wire. If anybody have some designs that would be better please share. I'm thinking about trying a fractal antenna to see how much it improves the signal
>>
This might be relevant to your interests

https://www.crowdsupply.com/pinoccio/mesh-sensor-network
>>
>>1068619
holy shit i never expected to find another 433MHz receiver-transmitter pair user in here, I've been using these for ages now and they're really fucking good. I made a device using an IR proximity sensors, an 8051, and the transmitter receiver pair to send little packets to my laptop just as someone open my room door

Related to OPs question, these babies are easy as fuck to use, they are even logic compatible, so as long as you're using some low BAUD rate, say upto 9600, you can pretty much straight stick them up in the Tx and Rx pins. Using them without UART might be too tiresome
>>
>>1068620
>falling for the fractal antenna meme
>>
>>1066057
Go on one of the china sites and buy a couple of NRF24L01 modules for $2 - $5.
https://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Nrf24L01-2.4GHz-HowTo?
The "expensive" $5 ones with the little 4" antennas can easily get 1000 feet line-of-sight ranges.
Each module can transmit and receive on any of 128 channels.
They also have a bunch of built-in features like packet addressing, automatic collision detection, automatic error checking and so on.

In the USA you can legally use the 315mhz or 433mhz transmitters. They are simple to use but they are crappy compared to the one above.
>>
>>1066343

>ham bands
>all the radios at the truckstop
>>
Xbee is supposed to go up to a mile. More complicated data transmission than you need, but it might be worth a look.

https://www.sparkfun.com/pages/xbee_guide
>>
>>1066343
I thought you fat fucks used cb radios?
How do you blow out a radio anyway? It makes sense since but how does it work?
>>
>>1066343
>fried all out radios at the truck stop

This sounds like fun, you faggots are fucking horrible anyways.
>>
>>1068905
>I made a device using an IR proximity sensors, an 8051, and the transmitter receiver pair to send little packets to my laptop just as someone open my room door
Shitty roommates?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.