[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CALLING HVAC PEOPLES

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: ac.png (616KB, 839x754px) Image search: [Google]
ac.png
616KB, 839x754px
Is this reasonable? homeowner newb

A/C wasn't cooling.. he said condenser and evap coil need to be replaced. This is an older unit (1999) that uses R22 or whatever
>>
How recent did you buy the house? Still have time on that home buyers insurance or whatever the hell it is called?
>>
>>1066022
8 yrs ago

and yes i'm still a newb
>>
>>1066017
no new compressor?

isn't 7.5k a lot even for a full residential system?
>>
>>1066036
yeah 5K is also highballing it too in my experience
>>
I can't say much about the cost but according to our recent AC repair dude...finding manufacturers that provide 10 year warranty on parts is rare these days.

God speed on the cool down anon.
>>
>>1066017
most importantly you need to get multiple estimates and a definitive reason for the system not cooling
>>
>>1066017
At that price, might as well install a whole modern system.
>>
>>1066039
i was at a house not 5 months ago that was 250,000 for all 5-6 furnaces
>>
>>1066083
Your drinking problem is still outta hand
>>
File: image.jpg (112KB, 381x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112KB, 381x640px
>>1066017
It seems pretty high for a cool replacement.

I just had two coils replaced for my job and it was $7k, and those were commercial 20 ton units.

Our AC guys told us the going rate is about $1k per ton for a new unit. We had two 10 ton units installed in June and it was a little over $20k, and that was with crane rental.

If your home is average size then you can figure $3-5k for a new unit.

Tldr you're getting fucked

T. Maintenance man.
>>
>>1066045
This. Always get multiple estimates and references. Anything over 5k for that small job and you're getting fucked.
>>
>A/C wasn't cooling
I`m going to need more info than that. like do you hear the indoor fan running? do you see the outside fan running? is the compressor under the outdoor fan making noise? Is the tubes that go from the indoor unit to the vents connected and not leaking? is there air blowing from the vents?

Most a/c repairman want to replace the whole system since it's easier than working on it and they get paid much more. R-22 can still be topped up in the US. If you're in Europe you need to replace the entire system and seek more quotes. it's illegal to charge with R-22 in europe.

Turn the A/C on and run it for a few hours after you've gone through listening to make sure you hear both fans and compressor running. Look at the indoor unit for ice. If there's ice you need refrigerant. It leaked somewhere so look for rot where it might have leaked out. I changed my indoor unit but not outside for $800 after getting quotes to change the entire system for thousands.

If you feel the vents and no air comes out. Turn your electric off at the breaker box for the A/C. uninstall the blower under the inside unit and clean it. Just don't touch the capacitor without discharging it. If the blower motor kicks on sluggish change the capacitor to increase it's running speed. Make sure the box the blower lives in is sealed air tight and the coils on the indoor unit are clean and new filter.

If you can get access to the vents duct work inspect everything while its running for air leaks. Pull the fuse on the outside unit in the big fuse box next to it and spray water from the water hose through the coils from inside out. Let it dry and reinstall fuse.

If something is not running it could be a fuse capacitor or relay or a single broken component such as compressor. An honest tech will let you know exactly what is wrong. Techs that want to make a bid on replacing everything without telling you what exactly went wrong will generally overcharge.
>>
If I took my car to the mechanic I would not accept "You need a new car" as an acceptable answer without a diagnosis. Especially when the mechanic was trying to sell me a car.questions like "I need a quote on charging my system." usually gets a straighter answer since it helps imply you know a bit about the subject than "its not blowing cold"
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.