[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY Pull up bar N-E-Where!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: willitwork.png (361KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
willitwork.png
361KB, 2000x2000px
Hi /DIY/! Please forgive me, im an idiot that just likes to lift and I have no proper terminology for you. I tried to illustrate as best as possible. Please help me out!

Pic Related.
I was thinking of making the bar out of a dowel, maybe 2.5 Feet long.
As for the Ying Yang holdie upies, I don't know.

What can I do?
>>
>>1065842
The hell is a ying yang hold up?
Anyway, I think that design wouldn't stand too much horizontal movement. Also, you need a strong frame. I've seen many wood ones that were shit.

Mm, thinking about it.. a telescopic bar you can lock, is thick and strong enough and has large soft blocks at the side but it would be a problem to keep it up without falling, and certainly a pain to make. My two cents.
>>
File: 561399.jpg (30KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
561399.jpg
30KB, 250x250px
>>1065850
>The hell is a ying yang hold up?

I don't really know. I just thought that it would work like a wedge and work like a clam cleat, pic related.

My body weight would wedge the bar, because of the shape of the ying yang hold up things. Idk what I should call them. They were my solution to the telescopic bar.
>>
your yin tang thingies should work IF you put some good grippy stuff on the side that sits against the door frame. maybe use those no-slip rubber mats they sell for putting on car dashboards? I think you don't even need the yin yangyness, just a couple of wedges. Might have to experiment with the angle of the wedge.
>>
>>1065858
Ah, got it for sure now. I've looked in the internet a bit and it looks like the "telescopic" bar is sold around but as far as things go, I wouldn't trust them. Door frames are usually critical points, so it's always good to go with safer methods. Back to the ying yangs, coating them with rubber like >>1065872 might be an idea, problem with your design is its little surface in contact with the door frame so it'd need to be tight so you don't fall every time there's too much horizontal movement. Some anons will come up with good designs for sure. Stupid question but, do you have means to build it or is it a first-time project?
>>
>>1065876
It's a first time for this specific project.
I've made shelves, canopy, bed frame... mostly wood working. It's not pretty but it's all ridged ant strong.

As for the means, i have a files, saw, dremel, drill, and a sander. Im sure If I need something else I can grab some from my neighbor.
>>
File: 714jHZbRFSL._SL1000_.jpg (188KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
714jHZbRFSL._SL1000_.jpg
188KB, 1000x1000px
>>1065872
>those no-slip rubber mats they sell for putting on car dashboards

I've got no idea what those are.

Would something like this work?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1065850
One of these, they're doorstops.
>>
>>1065842
So a few holes to put in your design. the cams are elegant (in the science-y sense, simple as possible to do the work) but have some major issues. for example they only hold tight when weight is applied, so there is a good chance of slipping while you are adding weight. another issue is that it's common to apply torque to the bar, and there's nothing to stop it from spinning, and A) dynamic friction is less than static friction, so once it's spins it'll slip, and B) the cams only work efficiently when they are aligned with the gravatational force.
second, the pivot of the cams will be a weak point, also, it needs to be more adjustable without losing strength for that design, doors can be anywhere from 20"-36". and that'll work for MAYBE as big a range as 22"-26"

just stick with the standard commercial design, which if I remember is good 20"-30" Here's a copy out of plumbing pipe http://www.instructables.com/id/No-Screws-or-Holes-Pull-Up-Bar-Door-Gym/ which, while not SAFE, is safER.
>>
File: FKP3VYZFKD1LK00.LARGE.jpg (71KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
FKP3VYZFKD1LK00.LARGE.jpg
71KB, 1024x768px
>>1065915
>just stick with the standard commercial design

Well I can't take it with my carry on. That's the problem i'm trying to solve. a simple, collapsible pull up bar that won't tale up much space.

I get what your saying. Ill need something to keep the cams aligned to the door frame and I need a better grip solution.
>>
>N-E-Where
Nice.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.