[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Found a cordless vacuum cleaner. Runs on li ion batteries. The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: meme_machine_v.jpg (408KB, 1254x814px) Image search: [Google]
meme_machine_v.jpg
408KB, 1254x814px
Found a cordless vacuum cleaner. Runs on li ion batteries. The problem is it didn't come with a charger. I was wondering if I could use a 13.6V 1800mA adapter for my 13.5V 500mA appliance.

I've noticed li ion batteries need to be charged by a specialized circuit to avoid overcharging and potential explosion/housefire. There is one PCB in the vacuum cleaner. Does any one recognize it as a charger circuit?
>>
>>1065686
>0.1V difference
that's fine
>>
>>1065686
That's an AC adapter. You need 13.5V DC.
>>
>>1065719
Thanks, I didn't see that. Are the batteries protected by the circuit?
>>
>>1065722
i am going to assume the creator of this vacuum would have made the voltage regulator fail safely in the event of overcharge because lithium's are pressurized flame throwers so what do you think they want to fail?

i would monitor the battery temp when charging but that .1V is nothing.
>>
>>1065686
Liions charge to 4.2v per cell, and that looks like it would have a 3s pack. 3*4.2v is 12.6v, meaning there has to be some kind of charge cutoff circuit built in. I'm not sure about current limiting though, it could be built into the charger or the vacuum, most likely the vacuum. So I would think it would charge fine from a 13-14.5v input with enough current no problems. Make sure to observe polarity and minimum current requirements.
>>
Yes I'm pretty sure it will be fine. 10mv extra ain't shit, it probably ripples that much anyway, and it will only draw the current it wants to charge so it could be a 10 amp charger but it still would only draw 500 ma
>>
File: vac.png (25KB, 802x359px) Image search: [Google]
vac.png
25KB, 802x359px
Can you get us a better picture of some of the IC's on the board? Look up the datasheet for the charge controller.
If it were mine and I didn't pay much for it I'd hook it up to a 12VDC 500+mA supply since I have dozens floating around.
>>
>>1065686
>13.6V 1800mA adapter for my 13.5V 500mA appliance.
You can but you should not and you absolutely cannot use the one in the pic.
As >>1065719 pointed out, the output of your adapter is 13.6VAC. The label on the vacuum shows an input for 13.5VDC.
The 1/10 of a volt difference is negligible but applying AC voltage instead of the required DC is a really, really bad idea.
The board probably provides current limiting and voltage cut-off for the battery but possibly only monitors the cut-off voltage and depends on the limited current of the adapter for safe charging.
If there are four wires from the board to the battery it is monitoring each cell for balance charging.
500mA wall warts are plentiful and inexpensive.Just buy one that provides the proper current and voltage for your vacuum.
>>
>>1065864
>>1065864
>applying AC voltage instead of the required DC is a really, really bad idea.

oh wow i totally missed that.
>>
File: 703.jpg (60KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
703.jpg
60KB, 500x447px
What if I rectify the ac power?
>>
>>1066136
Then it won't be 13.6 volts AC any longer but it won't be 13.5 or 13.6 volts DC either.
This seems to be beyond your proficiency level. Get a proper adapter/
>>
>>1065686
>silvercrest
In the trash it goes, suppose that's how you found it..

If not >bring it back jamal
>>
>>1065686
Ok first of all, 12VAC isn't useful and is probably dangerous, so watch yourself. Secondly, the battery probably charges on 10.x Volts and the vacuum runs off 12.x, so if you are planning on powering "this appliance" you will want a 12-14VDC charger. If you want to keep it wireless and battery powered, then make sure you charge the battery through the vacuum's charging circuit and terminals, and not through the battery pack's raw terminals. Li-Ions need special charging circuits as those hoverboard accident victims well know. Stay frosty!
>>
>>1066719
so you think the circuit in the vacuum cleaner is a battery charging/protection circuit?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.