[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where can i buy a cheap round bar of massive steel (at least

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: Round-Bar-Stainless-Steel.jpg (546KB, 1633x1225px) Image search: [Google]
Round-Bar-Stainless-Steel.jpg
546KB, 1633x1225px
Where can i buy a cheap round bar of massive steel (at least 2 meters)?
Whats the best way at home to make it pointy like nail?
>>
Do you mean 2 meter diameter round bar? Why do you mean by massive steel
>>
>>1065138
2 meter length, maybe 2-3cm diameter. I meant massive as in a solid bar, not a pipe.
>>
1) Depends where you live you dummy.
2) A lathe is the best way. What tools do you have?

FFS
>>
File: IMG_9005.jpg (92KB, 727x1655px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9005.jpg
92KB, 727x1655px
Home Depot or Lowes. This is just one example but in store they have longer lengths
>>
>>1065139
Round bar is always solid, especially at that size, otherwise it is either labeled tube or pipe (tube is measured od and pipe is ID)

Don't know in yurope but you can get metal anywhere here in the states, normally go to metal supermarket
>>
>>1065142

In europe you need at least 4 licenses and several certifications to be allowed to look at steel.
>>
>>1065153
Lol
>>
Aircraft spruce.
>>
>>1065153
kek
>>
>>1065141

God no. Hardware stores are so overpriced on raw metal stock it's not funny.

A 6-foot section of 1x1, 1/16 square tube at Home Derpo is almost $22. $3.67/ft.

A 20-foot section of 14-gauge 1x1 (which is thicker than 1/16") at the metal yard is $16.92. $0.85/ft.

Moreover, hardware stores generally don't sell round bar that thick in the first place.
>>
>>1065153
And they're DEFINITELY not allowed to sharpen it, even with the proper certs.
>>
I don't know how no one has asked yet, but, what are you trying to build/accomplish here?
>>
>>1065250
Railgun ammo for my gundam.
>>
>>1065250
I'd guess the space weapon so called 'rod of god'
>>
>>1065142
Metal supermarkets is kind of spendy. Though they do have the advantage of no minimum cut lengths and such. With something like OP's request, he may get a better price elsewhere.

The way to get it pointy and cheap at home would probably just be with an angle grinder, if you don't care about whether or not it is concentric or not. You'd need an ok sized lathe to get a big enough spindle bore, and it's incredibly super unsafe to have that much protruding out back from the head stock anyway. You'd need like a tube to guard it, like a bar feed or something like that you can rig up (obviously the feed part of it is unnecessary for this purpose. Just the part that keeps it from whipping around and bending and turning into a fucking 2-3cm solid steel whip). and/or probably turning it slower than fuck.
>>
>>1065130
>Where can i buy a cheap round bar of massive steel (at least 2 meters)?
Look for "metal suppliers" in the phone directory of the nearest big city to you. Every big city in the whole world probably has at least one metals supplier.
Tell them how big a piece you want, and that you just want some kind of carbon steel (not stainless).

To sharpen it I would just use an angle grinder. I aint got no lathe that big.

I dunno about the UK (or wherever OP is at) but in the US, the online cut-to-order metals places are rather expensive. Getting metal from them will typically cost ~4x what it would cost from a metals supplier--assuming you could go and pick it up in person.

Hardware stores do sell some pieces of metal stock, but in the US they usually top out at 3/4 inch diameter. And they usually charge you about 3X what the metals supplier would.
>>
>>1065378

That's an understatement. I've price checked them twice and each time I was honestly shocked at their prices.
>>
>>1065130
I have 2 questions. Is your name Noah? Why are you building an Ark?
>>
>>1065475
Really? I've always found mine really cheap

Even cheaper than their website
>>
>>1065516

Each time I called them they wanted more than twice the price I could get it for online, delivery included, from a different domestic source.

And what do you mean about their website? They don't post prices, you have to ask for a quote. Are we talking about the same outfit?
>>
>>1065589
Certain things you can get the price on their website (like sheet steel)

Also I pick up directly from the one near me, they even all know my name

Maybe it's because I do buy it locally

Or maybe yours is further from their nearest supplier

One of their primary suppliers here is NUCOR which is just a couple miles away
>>
>>1065378
He could probably get it concentric if he put one end in a drill and the other end on rollers, and sharpened the free end as it spins.
>>
File: wiha_micro.jpg (49KB, 573x659px) Image search: [Google]
wiha_micro.jpg
49KB, 573x659px
>>1065130
hey OP, over here in youropoor land, my local steel dealer asks 36 euros/40 usd for warm rolled rod, 22 mm diameter, 6 meters long.

If you want cold rolled/machined it is 77.

it as hard to find as googling "steel supplier your_city_here"
The only trick around here is finding a wholesaler who will sell to individuals and not just to companies.

It terms of sharpening, grinder or heating it up and forging. A 2m section can, with a bit of effortm, quite precisely forged into a round point. Keep in mind that a 2m piece of 22mm is about 6.5 kg, so not for the puny when forging.

pic unrelated, but unghhh...
>>
>>1065130

google before you post you moron

https://www.metalsdepot.com
>>
>>1065607
>put one end of a 6 foot steel bar in his drill
He wouldn't even be able to use the drill and reach the sharpened side at the same time, not to mention how slowly that would spin. Might as well just rotate it with your hands.
>>
>>1065774
You act like he couldn't tape the trigger in the on position
>>
>>1065130
I'd ask from Onninen first for a price but they don't sell to normal mortals, only companies. Then I'd check out Nakolinnan rautaisia just because it's heaven for tinkeres, last scrap yard for the ordinary man here on the west coast.

Oh, you don't live in funland?!? Then why the FUCK DIDN'T YOU STATE WHERE YOU LIVE THEN?!?
>>
>>1065772
You are, if possible, even a bigger idiot than OP. OP didn't tell where he lives. You just assumed. Congratulations!
>>
>>1065607
>>1065774
What drill are you thinking of that has a chuck that can accept 2-3 cm diameter shafts?
>>
>>1065378
>You'd need an ok sized lathe to get a big enough spindle bore, and it's incredibly super unsafe to have that much protruding out back from the head stock anyway.

Have you even a steady rest?
>>
>>1065992
How is something that supports the material on the bed going to help you support material going out the back of the head stock? Or are you suggesting that he buy a lathe with a bed long enough to have everything inside/in front of the head stock? He wants something greater than 2 meters.
>>
I'm going to assume you have little to no tools If you want to make a 2 meter, 2-3cm wide thing pointy, I would suggest some good old black smithing. You could nig rig a forge a lot easier and cheaper than getting your mitts on a lathe that you'll be using as a pencil sharpener.
>>
Online through one of the many industrial supply companies
>>
>>1066035
>>1065997
baka. all yall are crazy. just get an angle grinder, build a jig that works like a microphone stand neck, drill a hole the size of the rod in a piece of wood. set angle grinder, push rod through hole against it, grind while spinning.
the goal is to have the edge of the disk be ALMOST parallel to the tangent line of the cone you are making.
you'll probably get a slightly hollow ground point, but it'll be concentric.
So much easier and more accurate than messing with a lathe etc.
although a forge isn't a bad idea to do most of the shaping, and only a final finish with the grinder.
>>
>>1065272
>gundam
>railgun
>>
Can hook you up with sellers in the Netherlands. Prices are usually per kg, minimum lengths are 6m
>>
>>1065921
A big one
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.