[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into wood carving?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (93KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93KB, 600x350px
How do I into wood carving?
>>
>>1064827
Tutorials on Youtube ?
>>
File: image.jpg (119KB, 800x723px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119KB, 800x723px
>>1064830
What I've learned from drawing is that some tutorials can be much more harmful than beneficial and not only neglect to teach you a foundation, but teach you how to build that foundation wrong.
>>
>>1064831
Do you have good drawing tutorials to share ?
>>
>>1064836
http://www.floobynooby.com/pdfs/gesturedrawingforanimation.pdf

Sure, start here. It says it's for animation but gesture is the lifeblood of all art.

Then move to perspective, form(light/dark), anatomy, and proportions. These are all really important and should be learned early on after gesture.
>>
get a stick
get a knife
do it
>>
File: image.jpg (69KB, 1000x656px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 1000x656px
>>1064848
Pretty sure there are better ways to go about it that might also be easier on my knife.
>>
>>1064842
Thank you very much anon, hope you'll find the secret of wood carving
>>
>>1064850
I was bored so I carved a face on a stick with a utility knife

it wasn't a very good face, but that's a good as any way to start
>>
>>1064827
a lot of the super-detailed carvings are done with boxwood (OP picture looks like boxwood...)

you can carve with any wood around, but the wood that is considered "good" is a lot easier to work with than wood that is considered poor
>>
File: 1466487569140.gif (3MB, 419x559px) Image search: [Google]
1466487569140.gif
3MB, 419x559px
>>1064827
buy a CNC
>>
>>1065860
>buy a CNC
That's like buying 18 wheeler truck for moving two chairs.
>>
>>1064827
books, youtube, forums, asking a local wood carver?
get sum beginers tools lock up sum easy project and star carving
>>
Recently tried to get into wood carving too. Live in a shitty small town, so buying proper carving wood isn't an option, all I have is my firewood, which is all acacia. Which, as it turns out, is hard as fuck, water-proof and impervious to any tools known to man. How the hell do I soften this shit up a bit? I tried soaking it in water, but it's so water-resistant that an hour of soaking only gets me about half a millimeter of soft wood. Tried the alcohol and water thing people mention and it just drips down without soaking in at all.

How the hell do I work with this shit? Cause I don't really have any other options.
>>
What type of carving? Figures? Chip? Relief? Folk art whittling?

Basswood, butternut, walnut are decent carving woods to start with.

I started with basic relief carving, copy a basic picture, glue it to the board and cut away leaving the lines then round the sharp lines sand smooth

I have several flexcut tools, crazy sharp is the key.

Get some carving books on subject matter that you like and take it from there
>>
>>1067105
Steam it? Will penetrate better than just water, should expand it a bit too
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.