[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i-beam rust

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: ibeam_rusted_through.jpg (319KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ibeam_rusted_through.jpg
319KB, 1536x1024px
What do with an i-beam that has rusted through? pic related.
>>
File: 593371987.jpg (60KB, 780x533px) Image search: [Google]
593371987.jpg
60KB, 780x533px
>>1064409
tell the local news their bridges are falling apart
>>
>>1064409
Move down the alphabet to j-beams.
>>
>>1064415
I said pic related, not pic is the exact i-beam.
>>
>>1064420
Clearly an H beam
>>
>>1064409
Replace it.
>>
>>1064457
Does the entire thing have to be fixed or can it be repaired with some metal and welding somehow? It's supporting a sheet metal roof and it's extending into brick walls.
>>
>>1064469
All the rust must be removed or it will continue to spread. You gotta get down to bare metal. No rust at all. Once all the rust is removed you will see how much metal you have left to work with. Generally, when steel is holed through like that, there is not a whole lot left to save. If there is some left to save then you have to sister good metal onto the old everywhere where it has gotten thin and been holed through. Often times it's less hassle and cheaper just to replace it outright.
>>
>>1064474
How much could something like that cost would you guess (I've never dealt with construction)? It's probably 15ft long x 1 ft high cross section. It's pretty accessible.

Once I replace it how would I go about preventing rust? Is there anything to coat it? It's in an environment with a lot of water.
>>
File: IMGP5147.jpg (1MB, 2460x1628px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP5147.jpg
1MB, 2460x1628px
>>1064409
duuuude reminds me of a train trestle near me. it's a big bridge, over 100' long but probably like 100' above the ground. from underneath you can see all the I-beams are rotted through like that as a re a bunch of rivets. it's been there since the ~1830s but the last rebuild was 1910.

pic is the bridge but doesn't explicitly showcase the rot. a lot of the beams don't connect at both sides anymore, they're just waggling there with a couple rivets on one side superfically holding them in place
>>
>>1064480
What is it part of?

Buildings falling over is serious shit. Don't DIY it. Unless it's like some random beam sticking in a pond, then do wtf ever with it.
>>
>>1064481
Is it decommissioned?

>>1064484
It's basically a very small brick building (10ft x 20ft) used for storage. Several I beams like this going across sitting in notches in the brick walls. They are supporting a sheet metal ceiling.
>>
>>1064487
nope, it gets freight trains all day long. we're out in the middle of nowhere so things tend to be neglected. however, i assume they inspect it once or twice a year as per the law. the rail company keeps the tracks relatively well maintained, and the stone groomed, so i'm sure they send the structural guys underneath. i guess it's not bad enough to be a problem yet..?
>>
>>1064487
... a building of that size should not need I beams 12 in tall... not even 1, let alone several.

Wtf was this building used for?

As for Q. They are expensive and very heavy. Replacement will be expensive.
>>
>>1064487
I think you are misusing the word beam. I agree with >>1064565. It might be a metal truss of some kind of something. Take a picture of it. Make sure it is in focus, decently lit and right side up.
>>
>>1064418
Top fuckin kek
>>
>How do I solve this problem that I am going to give you minimal information and no pictures about?
>>
>>1064733
this is /diy/ anon. do-it-yourself. that doesn't just apply to OP!
>>
>>1064409
Finish the job and cut it in half all the way with an angle grinder.
Wait a few weeks
See what breaks
Fix it
>>
>>1064489
I doubt it's been properly inspected in years, most bridges in the US would get failing grades and would be shut down for emergency repairs if they were inspected. Unfortunately infrastructure maintenance is very low on the list of priorities for the government and funding is constantly getting cut for inspections.

It's probably a hazard that slipped through the ever increasing chasms of improper infrastructure maintenance.
>>
File: 40.jpg (454KB, 1228x921px) Image search: [Google]
40.jpg
454KB, 1228x921px
>>1064894
well that's sorta fucked. i don't wanna say nuffin either because i'd be punished as a criminally trespassing whistleblower

>ever increasing chasms
kek no pun intended, pic related
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.