[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Talk me out of this, someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

Considering buying an oscillating tool, found this. Yes, Festool products are outrageously expensive, but I know for sure that every penny I paid for some of them (namely, dust extractor, miter saw and sander) paid off nicely. Still, every time I'm biting my fingernails when I see the price.

Anything else on the market comes close to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yzqWG5fomE
>>
>>1064336
Fein multimaster?
>>
>>1064336
>multitool
>not fein

Personally I think they're fucking pointless but If I were to buy one I'd buy either for the battery platform I'm on or a Fein.
>>
>>1064337
It has things I already have (sanding accessories) but doesn't have things I really need (limiters of several kinds). Another plus for Festool, it comes in a standard Systainer box - I really hate all those bags that are a pain in the ass to store. And another plus - some guy at Amazon pointed out that there's an adapter for cheaper Fein blades, in case there'll be a need for that.
>>
>>1064337
How do Bosch multitools compare to Fein?
>>
>>1064342
They don't.
>>
Lemme guess, this piece of shit uses a proprietary mount, forcing you to buy festool branded accessories marked up 300% like their saw blades with special snowflake 20mm arbors, right?
>>
>>1064349
>uses a proprietary mount
Good point. From Amazon page: "The Festool OS 400 is really just a rebranded Fein Supercut, with a few refinements and with some fancy (and very useful) attachments. Any fein supercut blade will work just fine without any adaptors, and there are tons of blades available from a variety of manufacturers. As stated earlier, fein multimaster blades can also work with the Fein supercut-to-multimaster adaptor, but there are so blades many available for the supercut I haven't found that to be necessary."
>>
File: MuhSystainer.jpg (15KB, 322x200px) Image search: [Google]
MuhSystainer.jpg
15KB, 322x200px
>>1064349
I think they do use the common 'star lock' mount, however if you do decided for whatever reason to use the festool attachments, you're obviously going to pay through the nose for them.
>>
>>1064353
>whatever reason to use the festool attachments
Do any comparable products have these attachments? Having done this kind of work before, I see immediate and clear benefits from these limiters.

>pay through the nose
There's "immediate monetary loss", and there's "total cost of ownership". The first ever Festool product I bought for outrageous $675 before tax was the dust extractor. Never regretted it, though, for since that day I no longer have problems with wood dust - I got sensitized to it before, and even a slightest concentration gives me coughing fits.

When I used a Bosch sander (even connected to Festool dust extractor), the whole house was covered in dust. With Rotex sander, I don't even bother to screen out the parts of the house I'm not working in. Same with the miter saw.

So, even the medical bills come into consideration here. And time spent on making jigs not to destroy your workpieces. And time spent on correcting mistakes made.

Expensive? Definitely. Cost effective? In the right hands, absolutely.
>>
>>1064366

I understand what you're saying but it's an oscillating multi-tool.
>>
>>1064368
This can be said about any other of them. Starting with "yes, this is just a glorified shop-vac".

Believe me, I hate spending money just like everyone else, but am really sick of paying for useless cheap crap that works a fraction of the time and sometimes causes more harm than good. Vivid example was a Bosch router table with a fence that turned out to be a few degrees off vertical - I've butchered a few pieces of really nice and expensive wood before I realized that it's not my crooked hands that can't make it straight, but the bleeping tool.
>>
>>1064371
>but am really sick of paying for useless cheap crap

>>1064337
>>1064339
>fein
>useless cheap crap

Pick one.
>>
>>1064371
>censoring yourself on the internet.
>>
Op

Get a harbor freight disposable one

It will give you a hint at what you can do with an oscillating tool, that way you don't need to blow a grand on one to find out you never use it
>>
>>1064366
Why do you keep getting shitty Bosch tools? You realize they are shit tier right? Often even worse than harbor freight
>>
>>1064336
The fein ia a good tool. But honestly grab the rockwell and see if you even like the tool.

Mine dosent see much use anymore. The one exception.... plunge cuts.
>>
>>1064862
Didn't you watch the video. You obviously need a festool oscillator because that shill said so.
>>
>>1064856

I have a harbor freight, picked it up on sale. Had it like 3 years, never even taken it out of the box. Dunno what I'll ever do with it.
>>
>>1064336
I've had my Fein multimaster kit for over 10 years now and it's saved me a good deal of time and money (kitchen and bath remodels). I wouldn't say I use it often, but sometimes its the only tool for the job.
>>
File: 885911242127.jpg (182KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
885911242127.jpg
182KB, 900x900px
Why do you need a depth stop on an oscillating tool? There's a scale printed right on the blades?

Or do you really need precision depth cuts with your hitachi magic wand with a buzzing blade on the end?
>>
>>1064857
>keep
Not "keep getting". "Used to be". In order to ask the right question, you have to already know something, and I didn't. Spent some money to gain some experience, realized Bosch tools are shit, now using Festool. Still hate their prices.
>>
>>1064904
>Why do you need a depth stop on an oscillating tool? There's a scale printed right on the blades?
Thanks for the tip, didn't know about these.

I can easily see a situation where they would be worthless, though - dust will obscure the readings, for one. The other, more important, reason is repeatability - your eyes and hands are a much less reliable measure than a limiter.
>>
>>1064969
>now using Festool

Your opinion is shit
>>
>>1064973
It's my shit, and it doesn't smell to me, literally. No dust.
>>
>>1064867
Now imagine being op and spending $700 on that oscillator and it sitting in the box for 3 years

Worse situation eh?
>>
Osculation tools are trash unless you are using them to do grout and tile work.
>>
>>1064371
>Bosch router table with a fence that turned out to be a few degrees off vertical

Did you not check it for square before use? Sounds like you're blaming the machinery for your oversight.

You'll periodically get these little surprises, until you learn to religiously check blades, bits, fences, guides, tables, and stops for plumb, straight, level, and square.

It's also a good time to check assorted fasteners for tightness, which is how we keep all of our pieces where they belong.
>>
>>1064975
>No dust

This is a lie perpetuated by festool shills to justify the high price. There is less dust than your common average too. No dust is incorrect.

Granted some of the tools are innovative and useful with the added festures; only justifiable if you really can't make good with cheaper alternatives lacking all the jigs and over priced adaption crap they sell.

If you're going to try and convince people that you were justified in purchasing festool, don't start by saying 'no dust'.
>>
>>1064336
get a FEIN ffs
festool is a meme company
>>
>>1064349
20mm arbors are pretty much standard in Germany/Yurop
>>
>see oscilating tool at hardware store
>oh wow, there's nothing that won't do!
>6 years later I've used it twice
>>
>>1064336
festool is the best tool company out there, don't let anyone tell you different. show me a company doing anything close to what they are doing.

anyway buy a fein oscillating tool, a bosch pro or dewalt cordless drill and used festool for the rest.

trust in ten years you will be grateful
>>
>>1065253
>>6 years later I've used it twice

Same here. Home Derpo had a deal a couple of years ago where you got a free 18v accessory with the purchase of the drill/driver set. I stupidly chose the multi tool. I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've used it. I should have picked the cordless circular saw or really anything else like the radio because I just don't have the need for the multi tool.
>>
File: 6ee.jpg (52KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
6ee.jpg
52KB, 600x600px
>>1065304
>>
>>1064982
/thread
Literally useless outside the odd plunge cut
>>
>>1064982
Except when you're installing flooring and need to trim the bottom of door casing quickly.
>>
>>1065443
What is coping.
>>
>>1065443

>he pulls up another unusual scenario

So now you have used it 3 times in the last 6 years instead of 2 times.
>>
>>1064337
expensive a/f accessories and it has a special low profile cap head screw to hold the blades on that cost something like $8 to replace
>>
>>1065253

This is me.

>>1065443
This is literally two of the approximately 6 times I've use it. Last time I had to cut a door jam I had a finishing saw handy and used it. It wasn't nearly as big a pain in the ass as I thought.
>>
>>1064336
Corded? Why? You shouldn't be doing heavy lifting with this niche tool.
I use the (relative) shit out of my cordless, at least once a month for the past few years. I rent out 7 small houses to people.
Makes the cleanest cuts on copper, pvc and wood.
Perfect door jamb cuts are this things bitch.
Grout got its ass tore up.
Was able to shave some shitty linoleum off around a shitter.

Also makes accurate plunge cuts into wood or drywall faster/cleaner than a sawzall or keyhole saw. Used it for trimming out a future little apartment and it was great.

>With all of that said, I still only bought it because it was on sale, came with a free battery and like 2 boxes of blades/accessories.
>>
>>1065021
>a lie perpetuated by festool shills
(OP here) Count me into shills, then.

>less
Not 'less'. Practically no dust. Usual extractors leave the fine dust lingering in the air and getting into my lungs and making me cough incessantly, whereas CT36 leaves a trace of a smell. Tools, with their integral dust ducts, generate negligible amounts of dust, too. Just compare their design to the competition where dust extraction is either nonexistent or an afterthought and you'll see what I mean.

>If you're going to try and convince people
I couldn't care less what you choose. Like someone above said, I'm stating my educated opinion, based on my own experience paid by my own hard earned money.
>>
>>1065534
>Corded? Why?
Because the bastards don't manufacture the cordless version of it. I'd liked to have it, too.
>>
>>1064984
>Did you not check it for square before use? Sounds like you're blaming the machinery for your oversight.
Nope. Thing is, the fence is just flimsy, and it may have been vertical initially, but then just drifted away. Not to mention it bends under load, and sometimes you have to apply effort to keep a heavy/long piece next to the fence. The table is RA1180, btw. That fence is not the only deficiency it's got.

>learn to religiously check
I'm a pilot, m8. I know what 'religiously check' means.
>>
>>1065616
>Shill
>>
>>1064856
>Get a harbor freight disposable one
>>1064867
>I have a harbor freight, picked it up on sale. Had it like 3 years, never even taken it out of the box. Dunno what I'll ever do with it.
(not OP)
I feel much better now. this is exactly where I am.

never used an oscillating tool, don't really have a need for one but am curious.
don't wanna spend $60 for the Lowe's one, and I saw the Harbor Freight one for $25....
but I still dont know what I'd use it for.
I mainly to machining/metalwork stuff, I hardly ever to household projects.

-------

It's kinda like that dual-blade-direction 4-inch rotary saw they sell (I forget the name, they sold them on US TV)
people say it's GREAT for making plunge cuts in plywood..... but it's not particularly good for much of anything else
>>
File: hf.png (924KB, 687x813px) Image search: [Google]
hf.png
924KB, 687x813px
>>1064856
>Get a harbor freight disposable one
OP here. Just did, for the hell of it (pic related).

Utter and complete shit. For shits and giggles, half of the box is occupied by that white styrofoam insert. Blades are made of cheap steel and will not last long.

But what's the worst is that it's noisy as hell, and vibrates as hell (even compared to a Bosh one I had on loan from a friend before). A few minutes working with this "tool" - and I don't feel my hands for the next half an hour. Oh, and the blade anchoring bolt unscrews when working no matter how hard you fasten it.

Fuck that, it goes back to Harbor Freight.

Still wonder what's the difference between identically looking SKUs 63111 (that's the one I got), 63113, 61219 and 62867.
>>
>>1066585
>The absolute madman

Now take this:
Not the guy that suggested it, but the festool is slightly better balanced, slightly more powerful, and slightly prettier looking

I will not comment on the blades because you can get blades anywhere (I wouldn't use harbor freight blades on my metabo grinder, but I'll use metabo blades on my harbor freight grinder)

Now with that in mind, realize there is not an oscillating tool in the market that is actually useful, that won't make your hands feel like jello after, and won't give shitty cuts (no matter how well balanced they all shake because that is what they are designed to do)

Now that you have a taste of an oscillating tool you should be fine with never getting one again
>>
>>1066603
>festool
>slightly
yeah, like 14.875 times more expensive.
>there is not an oscillating tool in the market that is actually useful
Unfortunately, this tool has its own strictly defined niche and can't be substituted by anything else.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oezp-_DcUgg
only input I have
>>
>>1066651
what niche?
what do you actually need a oscillating tool for?
>>
>>1066651
Only thing I can think of that it could be useful for is as a plate joiner but an actual plate joiner would work much better
>>
>>1066585
Spend $5 more and get the variable speed one if you really think you need this. I bought one a month ago to do some tile work for a tile that broke off and needed reattaching. It was like $25 I think. I'm sure I'll never use it again but hey that's what HF is great for. Did the job for cheap, can't complain.

Be honest with yourself, you have no real use for this tool. Unless you're doing floor stuff like tile work every day or cutting door trim or whatever. Every other cuts are better done with other tools like jigsaws, circular, table, or miter saws, etc. Dremel cuts, palm sanders, whatever. Everything this tool can do can be done better using other tools you will use more often.

Don't buy this shit
>>
>>1066700
It wouldn't.
>>
Im a Flooring guy. To us these things are indispensable. Cutting out damaged Hardwood/laminate planks, Undercutting jambs the Jamb saw won't reach, cleaning out grout lines for tile replacement, cutting rivets on the base of public toilet stalls, cutting those H moldings on FRP wall boards so you can put rubber base on. I could go on. Go with Fein, mines been great. My boss has got the Festool and i really see no advantage to him other than completing a set. Oh, and as a sander, its multimasters are useless
>>
>>1066770
>get the variable speed
It *is* the variable speed, look at the picture.

>It was like $25 I think
More like $40+tax

>you have no real use for this tool
How the F do you know?

Ever been on a submarine? They have everything they need to fix shit while out, including a pretty advanced machining shop. Same here, I'm sick of workers with their arms growing out of their asses that inevitably botch whatever they're supposed to do. I buy tools as I need them, not when I have too much money (which I don't).

This is just the next one I need.
>>
>>1065673

>but I still dont know what I'd use it for.

Even if you had an idea what you'd use it for there is a fairly high chance that you would either leave it in the box, or as other users have said, use it twice in the last 6 years
>>
>>1066987

>This is just the next one I need.

>GUYS I KNOW I NEED THIS.
>TALK ME OUT OF IT THO

Your OP, seems to lead us to believe that you don't know if you'd need it.
>>
>>1064341
Fein comes with the same systainer, just orange instead of white-green
>>
>>1064904
>printed scale
>first deep cut
>scale gone...

Use a depthstop or tape don't fall for the scaled memeblades all you do is pay more
>>
Plumber and owner of a 18v Makita multi tool...

I love mine, gets used almost everyday. Mainly for plunge cutting into timber to cut out floor boards or to cut through brass tap threads or pipes that are tight against a wall.

Also using for sanding, raking out grout, undercutting architrave to install flooring.

Can't imagine life without a multitool now.
>>
>>1067004
Nah, the question was about whether $600 is a justifiable price for an oscillating tool, even with attachments.

Every time I try to go cheap on tools it bites me in the ass, then kicks me in the head.
>>
>>1067017
Is it compatible with Festool systainers?
>>
>>1067034
They're all made or licenced from Tanos
>>
>>1067019

The china men who make my universal blades put them on too.
>>
>>1067033

Is a corded multi-tool justifiable at all at this point?

I'd say no.
>>
>>1067291
I see your point, but given the fact that most of my tools require dust extraction (so you're stuck with the umbilical anyway) and are corded, I don't care much about this. Yes, cordless is more convenient, but it is also less powerful, heavier, and I can't see a situation when having a cord is a showstopper.
>>
These things come in handy for cuts you either can't get the skill or sawzall into or are surrounded by finished material and the zall is too out of control.

>>1067291
If every tool battery didn't have a proprietary plastic cover and charger, no. I'd love to be able to just drop fresh 18650s into my tools and laptops and be done with it.
>>
It works great for drywall and trim, putting in flooring around existing trim.

I have a $200 rigid one. It comes in handy. I use it almost daily, but only for very short periods of time.

Id never spend much more than 200 on one but don't regret the purchase at all.
>>
Work in NL. Here it is like 100 euro. These things are the shit. They are multifunctional as fuck. Really advice them.
>>
>>1068110
Problem with batteries is that they could be optimized for different charge and discharge patterns. Case in point: mobile devices - slow and steady discharge, relatively fast charge. RC planes and especially helicopters - madly rapid discharge (up to 200A and even higher) and charge at your leisure. Power tools - relatively rapid discharge, but need a fast charge.

Right now, the battery industry hasn't yet reached maturity, the technology is still evolving too fast for standards to settle. My guess is we'll see standardization in 5-10 years.

For now, SOL.
>>
>>1064982
I do appliance repair, I used a Dremel oscillating tool earlier today to cut the grout out around a microwave, that some idiot had grouted to the tile. Have to agree it works pretty damn good
>>
File: 62867.jpg (4KB, 135x135px) Image search: [Google]
62867.jpg
4KB, 135x135px
>>1066585. Ok I bought the Harbor Freight one that is above that model (the black and grey with variable speed) got some good non HF blades and it is excellent. It is a little on the heavy side but it works like a pro.
>>
>>1064341
I don't care dude. You asked what comes close. The Fein does. I'm not your personal shopping assistant, buy whatever you want.

>>1064342
Blue Bosch tools compare to okay pro tools in general. No experience with direct comparison Fein vs Bosch, can't imagine they're on the same level, possibly bias.

>>1065460
>expensive a/f
>$8 maybe twice a year if you use it like a monkey
come on. That "screw" clips on tight and is out of the way most of the time. There's no reason it should even break under normal use.
>>
>>1071359
Ive had same for last 5+ years. Never had an issue with it, use maybe every other month.
>>
>>1064336

Is this /b/? OP being a fag and all.

That being said instead of needing a sawzall to cut metal oscilating tool. Need to cut a lv or electrical box out? Oscillating multi tool. Need to notch so ething oscilating multi tool if it needs to be a square cut.

Its a great tool and can do more like snading too which i dont use it for but probably should try it. It alos replaces easier cuts then getting out my angle grinder.
>>
>>1066585
>>1066603

Got one for $5 with a coupon, had my employer pick up the tab for a blade. Used it to cut 2 fucked screws. Took forever, but did what I needed. I can't fathom spending a lot of money on this tool. For $5 it's fucking fantastic. Pay more and you start questioning your judgement. It's not a bad tool, it's just rarely needed.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.