[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The right tool[s] for demolishing this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: demolition.png (1MB, 1065x673px) Image search: [Google]
demolition.png
1MB, 1065x673px
Need to take down the parts of the old patio. This is how it looks like, I wonder what tools can I use to minimize chances of accidental destruction of load bearing structures inside? It looks as if this beam is embedded into the stucco and is somehow fastened to the frame. The beam that is partly down now was somehow nailed from inside the frame, I guess it was when the whole structure was being built. No idea about how the frame is constructed.

Ideas?
>>
looking at the state of that wood it'll probably just come off with a crowbar and a bit of elbow greese
>>
>>1064306
That's just the worst part of it, others are not so flimsy. The more I look at it, the more I think that at least some chainsaw work will be required. I don't think a reciprocating saw would be of much use here, would it? Can you use a reciprocating saw to dig into structures, or it's only intended to cut something from the side?
>>
reciprocating saw aren't really designed for it, you'd probably damage the blade, a chainsaw or circular saw would work, cut it into the biggest chunks your able to lever off with the crowbar
>>
>>1064318
>a chainsaw or circular saw would work
Trying to do this with the oscillating tool would probably be an exercise in futility?
>>
>>1064301
how the fuck is that attached to the wall?
>>
>>1064326
I suspect it was built together with the frame and then stuccoed over and around.

What you're looking at rotted long time ago and was covered by a few 3/4" boards that were put in place before I bought this house about 10 years ago.
>>
I'd say use a chainsaw and cut it to smaller blocks which then should come off with a crowbar? Do you plan to build something over it/paint the wall? Because the area under that will definitely be different colour compared to other parts.
>>
>>1064358
>use a chainsaw and cut it to smaller blocks
Are there any jigs to limit the blade penetration? Never used a chainsaw before. Also, guess renting it would be more feasible than buying it.

>Do you plan to build something over it/paint the wall? Because the area under that will definitely be different colour compared to other parts.
Yes, the scars will be immediately stuccoed and painted along with the rest of the house, then the replacement patio will be installed (metal this time).
>>
>>1064330
I mean how, as in, is it nailed to the structure? or is it part of the structure? depending on this you can either just crowbar it off, or have to saw it off cleanly and then seal the surface like a proper external finish
>>
>>1064374
>I mean how, as in, is it nailed to the structure? or is it part of the structure?
That mystery will only be solved when I actually get to it. So far, the only conclusion I can make from visual inspection is that it could've been nailed from inside when the house was being built - that's the worst case scenario.
>>
>>1064382
Can you see how the hanging piece is mounted? What is it hanging on?
>>
get up close and go at it with hand tools, looks like it would flake right off
>>
>>1064778
Irrelevant, that piece is gone now. It was hanging on a bracket, and it was nailed from inside - I mentioned that before, looks like this whole thing was built together with a frame and then stuccoed over.
>>
>>1064851
Well, that's what I hoped for. No such luck. This 8x6 beam has parts that are completely rotten through and just fall apart when you look at them, but other parts are as good as the day they were installed.

This is going to be an uphill battle.
>>
>>1066990

Grab the crowbar. Put some back into it. Let us know what you find.

Even if you say they were nailed in they should still be easy to remove if they are just sitting on the face.
>>
Remodeler for 25 years here...take a hammer beat stucco off wood to surmise damage. There is metal lathe nailed or stapled to the wood can be a bitch to get off , very sharp. Then cut out bad section of wood with a sawzall and replace. A cats paw, flat bar, hammer and sawzall is all you need to remove
>>
File: beam.png (3MB, 1600x1188px) Image search: [Google]
beam.png
3MB, 1600x1188px
>>1067005
Been a bitch.

Yes, it came out easily, but then there was another problem of having just two people (one of them very small and light). Anyway, it's gone now.

I'm surprised how just seven nails held a several hundred pounds structure for over thirty years. Also annoyed with how inept the flashing was - basically, none, you can still see the plank held in place with lots of caulk-like stuff. I'm sure that contributed to the rot you see in OP.
>>
>>1064301
maybe you could cut the stuco out with an angle grinder and beat the board down with a hammer/pry bar etc Personally I would be a little scared of hitting screws or nails with the chainsaw.
>>
>>1068340
>hitting screws or nails with the chainsaw
Thank God that was the only beam installed like that, the rest are conventionally nailed down from outside.

Now I'm scratching my head thinking what to do with 20+ 6x8 beams. One option is cut down to 4ft pieces (the longest city bulk trash pickup will take) and just leave them to be picked up. Another is to use them for a fireplace - that'll be enough wood for a serious Canadian winter, I'm sure :)

Another interesting option is to turn them to mulch. Wonder if I can rent a mulcher at Home Depot or something like that - while they're inexpensive, I would hate to have yet another big tool taking my workshop space. Renting a chainsaw, btw, turned out to be more expensive than I thought - $32 for the first four hours and something like north of $60 a day. Ended up borrowing one from a friend, but didn't use it yet.

And, finally, I was surprised how uneven the rot is. Like I mentioned before, some places are already mulch, and some places made me work really hard to get the nails out - they're as good as new. Wonder if it'll make sense to put this wood through a band saw and make usable planks out if it.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.