[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need architectural advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: overview.png (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
overview.png
1MB, 3840x2160px
Are there any architects here that could give me some structural advice for this upcoming project of mine?

I want to build a loft in my new condo to serve as a place for my bed and possibly a desk and computer. My condo has 13' ceilings and the loft will span about 12' across and will only act as a partial ceiling, meaning it will come out of the wall about 6' and the rest will be open space for a ladder or small stair case. The reason I have to do this is because of the windows on the opposite wall that span almost the entire height.

I do not want any support posts in the middle of the room so I figure that i will need at least one very thick hardwood beam to do most of the supporting, and the rest of the beams to be slightly smaller. With the thickness of the support beams and drywall and flooring, I will not be able to stand in this loft, and I think I am okay with that. What I am worried about is having the correct amount of support beams with the proper configuration and fixtures.

To help visualize what I am after, I have completely modeled the room to the best of my ability and added in the loft with the single 2x10 and 2x8 beams that I hope to use. The vertical beams on the outside of the model represent where I believe the studs are after using a stud finder. I wasn't able to locate them all, and will have to wait until I cut into the drywall to know for sure.

Is this configuration going to be sufficient for what I want to do? I will post more pictures.

Any advice is appreciated.
>>
File: rearsectionview.png (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
rearsectionview.png
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>1064054
>>
File: sidesectionview.png (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
sidesectionview.png
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>1064055
>>
File: overview2.png (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
overview2.png
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>1064056
>>
>>1064054
You wont need any big beam running across as long as your joists are sized appropriately for the span/load.

The joists will carry the load to the outside where you will need to transfer the load vertically to the floor below.

If I were building it i would have a beam running the width of the joists, three posts running down from that beam to another smaller beam to distribute the load to the floor. And have that on both sides.

Once youve designed the veryical carrying capacity you need to consider sheer load. That is, how to keep the loft from sliding towards the windows. If you're not too concerned about it you could put braces in the post and beams. For maximum rigidity you could turn the post and beam structures into a torsion box.
>>
>>1064054
We could engineer the thing for you, but the relevant consideration is instead local building codes, which should specify what's needed for something like that. They vary, so local information is needed.
>>
>>1064054
there is no problem with your concept... but what do the beams sit on?
>>
>>1064154
>>1064164
>>1064211
The idea is to not have any support posts in the middle of the room. That's why I decided on a large single beam spanning the length to give the extra support that a post would give.

As for building codes, I didn't think those would come into play considering the small scale of the work, and I don't know how they would apply even if I knew them. I'm in Indiana, area code 260 if that helps.
>>
File: IMG_20161002_224501.png (112KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161002_224501.png
112KB, 800x1280px
Mongoloid

Your joists will rest on beams that are against the wall. The beams will be supported on posts against the wall, not in the middle of the room
>>
>>1064290
i am asking you what do the beams sit on, do they levitate in mid air?
>>
>>1064629
I was going to make a joist to be bolted to the studs that the beams would then rest on. Thereby avoiding any contact with the floor at all.
>>
>>1064555
I could not even begin to translate that hand writing.
>>
>>1064555
>put the ayainsi the fucking wall

what
>>
>>1064784
>>1064792
i think it says
>put this against the wall
>>
>>1064290
>I didn't think building codes would apply to splitting my home in half
>>
>>1064290
>I'm in Indiana, area code 260 if that helps.
Look up the residential subsection of the IBC, read it where it concerns spans of floor joists.

It's brain dead simple stuff.

But anyway, you have joists running a 12' span between two walls. I'm assuming you're going to use metal hangers to fix these joists directly to whatever vertical members are in the walls.

The hangers are important. You'll do this. Toe nailing the joists into the studs is insufficient. A lap joint is insufficient. Do it right. A 12' span is nothing to fuck around with.

If so, given an On 16" construction, I'd suggest you'll be satisfied with 2x12 boards.

2x10 will deflect ever so slightly under typical loading, it will work, but it will be flimsy. 2x10s will work find if you do on 12" spacing of the joists.

Simply run them the full 12', and X braces in between each on 24', then put OSB, 5/8" on the top side, drywall on the bottom side. Put 1/4" luan on top of the OSB, and that's your sub floor. Put whatever finish floor on top. Trim out the window facing edge. over top of drywall so it looks nice and doesn't get banged up.

No need for beams, your joists /are/ your beams.

For the sake of insurance et al, it would be wise to clear what you're doing with the local building inspector, your 3d drawings, print them out and write 'on 12" 2x10 joists, spanning 12', X brace on 24", staggered with 5/8" OSB laminating on top.

Then the inspector will know what you're doing, and be pleased you seem to know what the fuck you're doing.
>>
>>1064054
The only problem I see is that you are assuming that the existing studs in your place will be able to support your addition.

Probably want to beef up the existing studs or

>build entirely new structure that will support your loft all the way to the ground.

As for code, google search "building code" and your county or city. It may be an ammendment to the IBC which is also on line.
>>
>>1064910
>Implying
They won't.
OP needs to run that shit to the flor or it WILL fail.
>>
>>1064910
>>1064905
I think you both are right and I will design a support structure to put against both the walls instead of using the studs. Then i can clad them in decorative moulding to make them look nice.

i just have a few more questions, thank you all for the replies so far.

are vertical supports like that simply a bunch of 2x4s bundled together and clad in drywall or do i need to buy large pieces of hardwood intended for that use?

you also mentioned x braces. are those to keep the thing square? are they metal?
>>
File: 1450491305503.gif (2MB, 250x141px) Image search: [Google]
1450491305503.gif
2MB, 250x141px
bump
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.